Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Chili posted:

Seriously, it's enough already. Different people are comfortable and uncomfortable with different things. This is really not a big deal.

As for content, just joined the 4 month sleep regression club... A whole month early! Saying goodbye to a wakeful state of mind, but super glad that the little sucker is growing so quickly. Baby is kind of outeating mom's supply though, so it looks like we'll be needing to supplement. Doing my best to be supportive of my wife through this, and of course, we'll supplement if we need to, but we'd like to do our best to stick to the good stuff as much as possible. Part of the problem is that baby seems to have an unyielding appetite.

She's only three months but she's perfectly capable of putting away nine ounces at a time which, when we told her pediatrician about, got a huge laugh. I've tried a bunch of different things to see if we can adjust how much she takes ib: changing schedules, more feeds with less, etc. But, it just seems like most of the time when she finishes whatever I give her, she screams for more. She keeps it all down, so it's not like it's going to waste. So I guess... Just keep doing what we're doing, and supplement if need be?

Our current operating theory on how much she's putting away is that we're vegan and don't take in a whole lot of fat, so the milk she's producing might be nutritionally dense, but not calorically. No idea if there's any truth that.

Yeah it could well be. I cut out all dairy because of a suspected cow milk protein allergy with my baby. Once that was cleared as a possibility and I was back on dairy, she gained weight faster and my milk was creamier.

Get some higher fat things in her diet maybe? Coconut oil, peanut butter, avocado...just to boost the fat content of the milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Chili posted:

Baby is kind of outeating mom's supply though, so it looks like we'll be needing to supplement. Doing my best to be supportive of my wife through this, and of course, we'll supplement if we need to, but we'd like to do our best to stick to the good stuff as much as possible. Part of the problem is that baby seems to have an unyielding appetite.

This happened to us in the first week. After a month of pumping every 2 hours and going to a lactation consultant weekly we decided that formula was just fine for our son. Just know that whatever you end up doing, you're doing the best you can for your child and yourselves. There is a lot of vitriol out there regarding formula and many people make you feel like you're not as much of a mother/didn't try hard enough or a bunch of other bullshit that you two shouldn't listen to. Do what's best for you and your family and gently caress everyone else.

That being said, I hope you're right about your wife's diet and you can fix it that way; what a relief that would be!

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
We supplemented for the first two months, and then went full formula. My wife felt really guilty at first due to all the mommy-blog negativity out there regarding formula feeding, but she's over it, and our daughter is is happily blowing through all milestones.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

laxbro posted:

We supplemented for the first two months, and then went full formula. My wife felt really guilty at first due to all the mommy-blog negativity out there regarding formula feeding, but she's over it, and our daughter is is happily blowing through all milestones.

Fed is best. My wife pumps exclusively, and is just now getting past the guilt.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Yeah that fat thing could be it. Anecdotally, I dropped all my sugar cravings post-partum and exchanged them for fat cravings. I ate a pretty high-fat (but dairy free) diet. My babies never took more than 4-5oz at a go, but my milk had a really thick layer of fat floating on top. My daughter would take around 20-22oz a day, but when she was EBF she was an enormous chunkster.

Worth a try since it's relatively easy to do!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

This happened to us in the first week. After a month of pumping every 2 hours and going to a lactation consultant weekly we decided that formula was just fine for our son. Just know that whatever you end up doing, you're doing the best you can for your child and yourselves. There is a lot of vitriol out there regarding formula and many people make you feel like you're not as much of a mother/didn't try hard enough or a bunch of other bullshit that you two shouldn't listen to. Do what's best for you and your family and gently caress everyone else.

That being said, I hope you're right about your wife's diet and you can fix it that way; what a relief that would be!

This was pretty much my story with my first. I think the stress of trying and failing at breastfeeding hosed me up mentally more than I realized at the time. I just had my second baby and did formula from the start. I have had a significantly different mental state this time. Its been super awesome that my husband can help out with every aspect of childcare. My son also enjoys being able to help feed the baby.

I really disliked how I felt the constant need to justify my decision to not attempt to breastfeed to everyone, especially at the hospital. I physically can't produce very much, so I have an "excuse", but it shouldn't matter. I'm always surprised by how many other woman who are 100% for female body autonomy still feel its ok to guilt about breastfeeding.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Alterian posted:

I really disliked how I felt the constant need to justify my decision to not attempt to breastfeed to everyone, especially at the hospital. I physically can't produce very much, so I have an "excuse", but it shouldn't matter. I'm always surprised by how many other woman who are 100% for female body autonomy still feel its ok to guilt about breastfeeding.

The worst part is when they say "It's so rare to not produce enough". It's like gently caress you and whatever book you're quoting; rare doesn't mean non-existent.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I nursed my first pretty much exclusively for a year, then switched to solids at 12 months and weaned around 13 months. I was all proud of myself, like I had accomplished something great. Then I had my second, and with chasing after a 2-year old and being busy with life, I found it increasingly difficult to find time to settle and nurse when we needed to. I had supply issues, likely due to stress, and I ended up supplementing after 3 months and switching to formula at 4. With my "success" of the first, I felt like such a terrible mom with my second.

But they are both happy, healthy little kids who have no major health issues. We then fostered a few babies after that, only bottle fed, and they are just as happy and healthy in their toddler/kid years. I get it, breast is great and it's what they are for, but formula is not a far more terrible alternative. It's just...an alternative.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

femcastra posted:

Yeah it could well be. I cut out all dairy because of a suspected cow milk protein allergy with my baby. Once that was cleared as a possibility and I was back on dairy, she gained weight faster and my milk was creamier.

Get some higher fat things in her diet maybe? Coconut oil, peanut butter, avocado...just to boost the fat content of the milk.

Yeah. I've been baking batches and batches of lactation cookies. Doing what I can. It's definitely encouraging to hear of success stories with formula. As the dad it's a tough position. I've heard all of the same stuff she has about the benefits of breastfeeding but I'm certainly not in any position to insist as they aren't my boobs. That being said, I still want the best for the baby. So yeah, we're doing what we can and the overall attitude about formula is exactly as has been stated here. It's just an alternative, nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks all for your responses.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Alterian posted:

This was pretty much my story with my first. I think the stress of trying and failing at breastfeeding hosed me up mentally more than I realized at the time. I just had my second baby and did formula from the start. I have had a significantly different mental state this time. Its been super awesome that my husband can help out with every aspect of childcare. My son also enjoys being able to help feed the baby.

I'm happy to hear goons are fed is best folks. My wife is similar, she stopped trying to pump after a few tries because nothing came out after several hours. She knew going into it there was a chance she wouldn't produce, she has the support or our families and yet from time to time she still feels guilty. On top of that, my kid had been eating more than "suggested" since almost day one; he'd be nursing forever otherwise.

E: trying to shitpost when boy demands bedtime is tough

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 15, 2018

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

As far as formula goes, we like to use Earth's Best. Its the only formula that I think smells and tastes good. Some formula smells/tastes horrible. Oddly enough my newborn gets "breastfed poops" not "formula poops".

Our first kid broke the record for most formula drank in a 24 hour period. He was 8 or 9 months old and really didn't have much interest in solids. We were doing infant led weaning and just let him do his thing. He drank 65 fl oz. We use to joke feeding him gold would be cheaper.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Chili posted:

As for content, just joined the 4 month sleep regression club... A whole month early! Saying goodbye to a wakeful state of mind, but super glad that the little sucker is growing so quickly. Baby is kind of outeating mom's supply though, so it looks like we'll be needing to supplement. Doing my best to be supportive of my wife through this, and of course, we'll supplement if we need to, but we'd like to do our best to stick to the good stuff as much as possible. Part of the problem is that baby seems to have an unyielding appetite.

She's only three months but she's perfectly capable of putting away nine ounces at a time which, when we told her pediatrician about, got a huge laugh. I've tried a bunch of different things to see if we can adjust how much she takes ib: changing schedules, more feeds with less, etc. But, it just seems like most of the time when she finishes whatever I give her, she screams for more. She keeps it all down, so it's not like it's going to waste. So I guess... Just keep doing what we're doing, and supplement if need be?

Our current operating theory on how much she's putting away is that we're vegan and don't take in a whole lot of fat, so the milk she's producing might be nutritionally dense, but not calorically. No idea if there's any truth that.

If you want to PM me, I’m a LC and can help troubleshoot. While supply issues aren’t uncommon, a lot of people mistake normal baby behavior for not getting enough milk (and some supply issues are caused by trying to change normal baby behavior inadvertently).

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

skeetied posted:

If you want to PM me, I’m a LC and can help troubleshoot. While supply issues aren’t uncommon, a lot of people mistake normal baby behavior for not getting enough milk (and some supply issues are caused by trying to change normal baby behavior inadvertently).

That's awesome. My wife is a goon (katdicks) and I'll definitely let her know. Thank you so much!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Is there a one weird trick for freeing your arm after putting the baby in a crib? I feel like a magician doing the tablecloth trick only the dishes and cups go flying everywhere and the baby wakes up and cries and it's terrible

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Its sort of like that scene in indiana jones where he replaces the idol with the weighted bag but the opposite.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

WarpDogs posted:

Is there a one weird trick for freeing your arm after putting the baby in a crib? I feel like a magician doing the tablecloth trick only the dishes and cups go flying everywhere and the baby wakes up and cries and it's terrible

Lower their butt first, to free up that arm to help support your other arm lowering their head and lower body. But yeah it can feel like trying to delicately disarm a bomb sometimes.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

WarpDogs posted:

Roll baby out of your arms onto side in crib and then gently roll onto back.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Ugh, four day old infant and my girlfriend has been up all night with him crying. Everythings been checked and re-checked and I finally convinced her to try a pacifier so she could get some sleep. He's soundly asleep next to me as I'm writing this. My girlfriend feels so bad, but the milks starting to come in anyway, so I can't really see why we shouldn't let him use it to get a little respite between feedings.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Struensee posted:

Ugh, four day old infant and my girlfriend has been up all night with him crying. Everythings been checked and re-checked and I finally convinced her to try a pacifier so she could get some sleep. He's soundly asleep next to me as I'm writing this. My girlfriend feels so bad, but the milks starting to come in anyway, so I can't really see why we shouldn't let him use it to get a little respite between feedings.

Yup. Use what works. Especially if baby is still able to latch to boob after.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Struensee posted:

Yeah my wife had similar misgivings, and we had to go to the hospital because of latching/eating problems. But then a nurse was like 'yeah in my 36 years as a baby-nurse I have never seen nipple confusion, it's not a thing imho.'

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I offered the pacifier the first night we were home and the bottle probably the second day. We breastfed for 13 months with no issues. I also don’t think nipple confusion is a thing. Tell her to let go of the guilt, there are too many things moms are made to feel guilty about.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I think nipple confusion has more to do with bottles than pacifiers. We nursed for almost 3 years and the only time mine took a pacifier was as a little newborn. We were worried about nipple confusion too so we offered it pretty sparingly. By the time she was 3 or 4 months old, she refused any and all pacifiers so during growth spurts et all, she was constantly on my tit for comfort suckling. Honestly, for impending baby #2, I am going to let him go apeshit on the pacifier whenever he wants.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Our lactation consultant said that, in her opinion, nipple confusion is a misnomer and it really boils down to how bottles are easier to drink from than the breast is. The flow is much faster and takes less effort to get the same amount of food; in short babies are lazy.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Yeah we never had an issue with nipple/bottle/dummy confusion. I used nipple shields for the first 4 months because she had issues latching but now she’s a champ.

If anything offering the bottle for some feeds early on meant that she got used to it and didn’t refuse it later, so it will be easier when she goes to childcare later.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

1up posted:

I think nipple confusion has more to do with bottles than pacifiers. We nursed for almost 3 years and the only time mine took a pacifier was as a little newborn. We were worried about nipple confusion too so we offered it pretty sparingly. By the time she was 3 or 4 months old, she refused any and all pacifiers so during growth spurts et all, she was constantly on my tit for comfort suckling. Honestly, for impending baby #2, I am going to let him go apeshit on the pacifier whenever he wants.

I was concerned about nipple confusion and tried not to offer a pacifier too much to baby #1. By the time he was about 2 months old he refused pacifiers and constantly wanted comfort nursing.
I didn't want to be a walking pacifier with baby #2, so I offered one to him whenever I thought he just wanted to suckle, not eat. By the time he was about 6 months old he refused pacifiers and constantly wanted comfort nursing.
On the bright side, I never had to convince either of them to give up their pacifier! Some kids just... don't like them.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Is the nine month sleep regression real?

Kid goes to bed at 7pm, and wakes up screaming in a cold sweat by 9pm every single night. Hasn’t missed a day yet.

Don’t know how to get through this.

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke

virinvictus posted:

I still vividly remember my kid's nine month sleep regression, and it's his seventh birthday next month.

There's not much you can do other than endure it, try to keep as much of the routine as you can, and remind yourself that it has to end sometime.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Need recommendations on first grade readers for my niece we're going to visit this weekend.

Is all the "level 1" stuff I see on Amazon first grade readers?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

virinvictus posted:

Kid goes to bed at 7pm, and wakes up screaming in a cold sweat by 9pm every single night. Hasn’t missed a day yet.

Sleep regression is a misnomer, kid's sleep patterns are random. My kid (17 months) sleeps through the night 7-7, 6 days a week. That 1 day he'll wake up for 2-3 hours screaming.

Wait until they have teeth, they will sleep some nights, and not some other nights.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Need recommendations on first grade readers for my niece we're going to visit this weekend.

Is all the "level 1" stuff I see on Amazon first grade readers?

Not really. It would be best to ask the parents how well she's reading. You could also get her something a little bit above her level too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

Not really. It would be best to ask the parents how well she's reading. You could also get her something a little bit above her level too.

They said first grade hence the first grade readers... Just trying to make sense of it all!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BonoMan posted:

They said first grade hence the first grade readers... Just trying to make sense of it all!

It's not tied to grade. It's more like difficulty level. Pre-reader, Level 1, Level 2, etc. A lot of big series have a few different options. Daniel Tiger, Pete the Cat, and others all have sets of difficulty rated books. Ours isn't reading yet, but Elephant and Piggie play well and look to generally be rated for kids k-grade 2.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Okay, for example, Random House's Step Into Reading has step 1 as "ready to read", where there's generally one sentence on a page and the sentence is something like "Mayor Goodway calls the Paw Patrol for help!", then "Ready for action!" then "Chase helps the cow." on three successive pages. (And the pictures are Ryder looking at his tablet, the Paw Patrol driving down the road, and Chase freeing a cow from an alien's capture-bubble-thing.) Step 2, same publisher, same book series, has, all on one page, "The castle is finished! The play can start. Chase begins to cough." and on the facing page, "Marshall checks him out. Chase is sick! Ryder asks Marshall to play the king." (This was an easy example to find because my 3-year-old has a book with five stories in it, three Step 1 and two step 2.)

Harper Collins has "Level One: I can read!" which seems to be a lot like Random House's Step 2: "One day Danny went to the museum. He wanted to see what was inside." followed by "He saw Indians. He saw bears. He saw Eskimos." on the two first pages of Danny and the Dinosaur.

The problem is that "first grade reading level" might be meaningful on any given standardized test, but otherwise, both step 1 and step 2 would be too easy for my just-started-first-grade son, but there's certainly first-graders who're most-comfortable with step 1 books - that's why the steps/levels/stages/stars are related to reading ability, not grade level.

Right now my first-grader has two books out from the school library, both Scholastic Level E, so here's a Lexile 370L book suggestion for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Scholastic-R...reading+level+E

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

virinvictus posted:

Sleep regressions are a thing. But I've never really tied them to a particular age. It feels like he has a regression every few weeks and he's 2.5. We do cry it out so we usually just ignore him and he goes back to sleep anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour later. Enduring an hour of screaming is brutal but it nips it in the bud and he's usually back to good sleep in less than 3 nights.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

zonohedron posted:

Okay, for example, Random House's Step Into Reading has step 1 as "ready to read", where there's generally one sentence on a page and the sentence is something like "Mayor Goodway calls the Paw Patrol for help!", then "Ready for action!" then "Chase helps the cow." on three successive pages. (And the pictures are Ryder looking at his tablet, the Paw Patrol driving down the road, and Chase freeing a cow from an alien's capture-bubble-thing.) Step 2, same publisher, same book series, has, all on one page, "The castle is finished! The play can start. Chase begins to cough." and on the facing page, "Marshall checks him out. Chase is sick! Ryder asks Marshall to play the king." (This was an easy example to find because my 3-year-old has a book with five stories in it, three Step 1 and two step 2.)

Harper Collins has "Level One: I can read!" which seems to be a lot like Random House's Step 2: "One day Danny went to the museum. He wanted to see what was inside." followed by "He saw Indians. He saw bears. He saw Eskimos." on the two first pages of Danny and the Dinosaur.

The problem is that "first grade reading level" might be meaningful on any given standardized test, but otherwise, both step 1 and step 2 would be too easy for my just-started-first-grade son, but there's certainly first-graders who're most-comfortable with step 1 books - that's why the steps/levels/stages/stars are related to reading ability, not grade level.

Right now my first-grader has two books out from the school library, both Scholastic Level E, so here's a Lexile 370L book suggestion for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Scholastic-R...reading+level+E

Great info, thanks!

edit: turns out it's Step 3 in "Step into Reading"... mystery solved

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 28, 2018

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
Hello thread. My wife and I are expecting our first in mid November.

Does thread have feelings or general impressions on cloth vs disposable diapers? Clicking around about it online has made my eyes glaze over.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Newf posted:

Hello thread. My wife and I are expecting our first in mid November.

Does thread have feelings or general impressions on cloth vs disposable diapers? Clicking around about it online has made my eyes glaze over.

As a cloth diapering household, I will say that cloth diapers take a lot of time and effort and come with lots of headaches. It's a big chore on top of learning how to parent. There are leaks to deal with; the fact that they don't hold as much as disposables, so you have to change more frequently; making sure you get your wash routine right, so your diapers don't smell like a barn; having to wash diapers every two or three days; etc. It's a lot to deal with.

That being said, once we got used to the routine, it just became another part of our lives. We really enjoy cloth diapers and not having to buy disposables (we do use disposables occasionally when going on longer trips). It's also very good from an environmental standpoint.

Cloth diapering isn't for everyone, but it's worth looking into. Fluff Love University has been a pretty good resource for us.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I am very pro cloth, but it takes a bit of getting used to. I use the itti range.

I got gifted a set of small nappies by my sister in law and when my girl started growing out of them, I bit the bullet and bought the one size adjustable nappies with the snap-in liners.

I’m really conscious of my footprint on the planet so I do all the recycling, reusable shopping bags and coffee cups, seemed like a natural progression.

If you go that route, buy disposable biodegradable bamboo liners so when there’s poo, it’s easier to clean up. We have old plumbing so I don’t flush them, I put them in the bin.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I have friends who did a poo poo load of research about cloth diapers and decided to use them, but the research they did showed that cloth diapers helped the amount of waste going to the landfills but they upped the water usage to non-sustainable levels. Their conclusion was to decide which issue you were more passionate about and choose the option that suited you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Cloth diapers from a diaper service are a nice middle ground imo. They use less water becsuse they are cleaned industrially, but also much less landfill waste. They are more expensive over time, though, and generally only offer prefolds.

We use disposables at night, and diapers from our local diaper service during the day.