Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I had a question regarding a recent upgrade I did. I recently replaced my old processor and GPU with an Intel i7 4790-K, and a EVGA Geoforce 1080 GTX. Now when I start the computer, it's a lot louder than it was before. Is this normal? For comparison's sake, I had an Intel i5 4690-K and a MSI Geoforce 760 GTX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Is this a persistent "computer is louder" or does it last for a handful of seconds before quieting back down?

I'd hazard a guess that the upgraded GPU has a beefier fan and you're hearing the card run through its own power-on test, part of which is running the fan up to full speed for a few seconds to test it.

If the extra noise persists you might check the video drivers for fan profiles, it could be set to a performance option that runs the fan at high speed constantly.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Geoj posted:

Is this a persistent "computer is louder" or does it last for a handful of seconds before quieting back down?

I'd hazard a guess that the upgraded GPU has a beefier fan and you're hearing the card run through its own power-on test, part of which is running the fan up to full speed for a few seconds to test it.

If the extra noise persists you might check the video drivers for fan profiles, it could be set to a performance option that runs the fan at high speed constantly.

Thanks; I had a feeling that it had to do with the GPU being more powerful. It quiets back down, so I should be good

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Willo567 posted:

I had a question regarding a recent upgrade I did. I recently replaced my old processor and GPU with an Intel i7 4790-K, and a EVGA Geoforce 1080 GTX. Now when I start the computer, it's a lot louder than it was before. Is this normal? For comparison's sake, I had an Intel i5 4690-K and a MSI Geoforce 760 GTX.

Jw, what did you do with the old processor? I could use that one for an old pc im refurbing

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My computer's also very loud on startup, and it's either to test the max speed or because my fan curves haven't kicked in.

If you computer keeps being noisy, check your default fan curves; with my 2700X, I just needed to fix my CPU's fan curve and set pstate (minimum CPU power) and power option.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Statutory Ape posted:

Jw, what did you do with the old processor? I could use that one for an old pc im refurbing

I still have it in a box; it was just replaced yesterday

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Willo567 posted:

I still have it in a box; it was just replaced yesterday

Lmk if you want to sell it. I dont have PMs but ill get them if need be. Otherwise we could talk on steam. Im in USA

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Any idea what would be causing the occasional hiccup in CSGO on 8700k/1080ti/32g ram

I say hiccup not stutter because it is very distinctly one single event. I checked windows event viewer and nothing i could see came up. I googled some but the stuff i saw predates all my hardware.

Ive been running resource monitor on the other screen to catch it but it hasnt done that since. I have zero problems in any other game. I would say this happens every 3-10 minutes when i notice it.

Is there something that will graph stuff out like resource monitor but for longer stretches of time? Might be all i need to see wtf

My laptop with a 7700something also seemed to be doing it but hard to tell since i was laying down on the couch just messing around

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's a good software benchmark for my results before and after cleaning my GPU and reapplying thermal paste on it?

E: Oh, and where might one get thermal pads for a Sapphire R9 270X 2GB Vapor-X, in case they break apart when I pop open the hood? (Or at least figure out the thickness of the pads so I can buy some.)

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 25, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ufarn posted:

What's a good software benchmark for my results before and after cleaning my GPU and reapplying thermal paste on it?

E: Oh, and where might one get thermal pads for a Sapphire R9 270X 2GB Vapor-X, in case they break apart when I pop open the hood? (Or at least figure out the thickness of the pads so I can buy some.)

Many games come with built-in benchmarks, so depending on what games you have in your library you could use GTAV, the Tomb Raider games, etc. You could also try 3dMark or the Unigine benchmarks.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I decided to balance out my gaming rig and upgrade the CPU / MOBO / RAM. Plugged everything together with my friend to have someone to discuss eventual troubleshooting. All went well, installed CPU fan, CPU, RAM. Attached the power cable, MOBO lit up everything is good aaaand... nothing when we press the on button on the case. We plugged the power switch on the MOBO correctly, according to the manual. Just didn't start up. We tried other pins (reset, different positions) and just nothing. We were both stumped at what to do. We reset and reattached everything twice, removed and reattached the CMOS battery, still nothing. We suspect it's either a faulty MOBO, or perhaps some processor issue. I admit we haven't built computers in over three years, and the socked for the CPU seemed strange, half of the pins were sticking up while the other half were kinda sideways.

Anyone got some suggestions on what to do? I've since replugged all my old components and it all works fine, so it's not the power switch on the case that's faulty

hardware in question is:

i5 8600k
ASUS PRIME H270-PLUS
Antec 1200 case

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

texting my ex posted:

I decided to balance out my gaming rig and upgrade the CPU / MOBO / RAM. Plugged everything together with my friend to have someone to discuss eventual troubleshooting. All went well, installed CPU fan, CPU, RAM. Attached the power cable, MOBO lit up everything is good aaaand... nothing when we press the on button on the case. We plugged the power switch on the MOBO correctly, according to the manual. Just didn't start up. We tried other pins (reset, different positions) and just nothing. We were both stumped at what to do. We reset and reattached everything twice, removed and reattached the CMOS battery, still nothing. We suspect it's either a faulty MOBO, or perhaps some processor issue. I admit we haven't built computers in over three years, and the socked for the CPU seemed strange, half of the pins were sticking up while the other half were kinda sideways.

Anyone got some suggestions on what to do? I've since replugged all my old components and it all works fine, so it's not the power switch on the case that's faulty

hardware in question is:

i5 8600k
ASUS PRIME H270-PLUS
Antec 1200 case

The H270 doesn't support an i5-8600K, it only works for 6000 and 7000 series CPUs. You should get a 370 chipset board for 8th gen CPUs.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Rexxed posted:

The H270 doesn't support an i5-8600K, it only works for 6000 and 7000 series CPUs. You should get a 370 chipset board for 8th gen CPUs.

That was the MOBO suggested to me by the store I bought it from, nice. Thanks for the answer, I'll have to talk to them

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

ufarn posted:

7zip has a benchmark ( -> "extras"). CPU-Z has one too.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Those’ll do GPU stress tests?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tapedump posted:

Those’ll do GPU stress tests?

Furmark, Valley, Heaven, Firestrike, etc. I'm not sure what's the most popular these days but when I was dialing in my overclock earlier this year I mostly used Valley and it seemed to do a good job.
https://benchmark.unigine.com/valley
https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven
https://geeks3d.com/furmark/
https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 27, 2018

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
No, right, I know those, but I was referring to ufarn’s GPU bench question that lllllllllllllllllll had replied to as “Use 7zip.”

I am not aware it could do that. Thought it was just CPU.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tapedump posted:

No, right, I know those, but I was referring to ufarn’s GPU bench question that lllllllllllllllllll had replied to as “Use 7zip.”

I am not aware it could do that. Thought it was just CPU.

Yeah sorry I should've quoted the original question.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 1, 2018

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Maybe they run a scrap surplus side hustle getting cheap scrap from recycling, piecing together working systems, selling them on Craig’s and toss the useless husks that aren’t valuable?

OTOH, who they hurtin?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 1, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I recently picked up a second monitor, which has a built-in speaker. Is there a reasonably simple way, using standard USB or stereo jacks, to not only run audio to both monitors, but to split the audio based on which monitor the video, audio player, etc is displayed on? Or is running a splitter and playing the same audio on both the best I can hope for?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Enourmo posted:

So I recently picked up a second monitor, which has a built-in speaker. Is there a reasonably simple way, using standard USB or stereo jacks, to not only run audio to both monitors, but to split the audio based on which monitor the video, audio player, etc is displayed on? Or is running a splitter and playing the same audio on both the best I can hope for?

That's more of a software issue. Outputting audio to a monitor is just outputting audio to an audio output for your OS. It doesn't have a way to associate sound outputs to video on different screens. You can get an extra sound card (like an inexpensive USB sound card) and run audio out from that to your other monitor. That would let you pick the audio output device for some particular programs so that they go out the other speakers (as long as the program let you pick which sound output it was using) but it would still be monitor agnostic, just based on which program was running.

You could also go low tech and use a mixing board to manually send audio to one set of speakers or the other. However, the speakers in most monitors are universally pretty low powered and bad, though, so I'm not sure it's worth that kind of effort.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Some time ago my computer wouldn’t boot up normally and would only boot into safe mode. I reinstalled Windows 10 and it didn’t go away. I left the GPU in there and switched to the iGPU (by just switching HDMI ports) and now my computer worked again. If I switch the HDMI cable back then the system reboots the moment I see the resolution switch to 1080p.

I was able to put the GPU into another computer and do some benchmarks on it and everything worked fine. The computer without the GPU works fine too.

How do I know if it’s a motherboard or if it’s a power supply problem?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Some time ago my computer wouldn’t boot up normally and would only boot into safe mode. I reinstalled Windows 10 and it didn’t go away. I left the GPU in there and switched to the iGPU (by just switching HDMI ports) and now my computer worked again. If I switch the HDMI cable back then the system reboots the moment I see the resolution switch to 1080p.

I was able to put the GPU into another computer and do some benchmarks on it and everything worked fine. The computer without the GPU works fine too.

How do I know if it’s a motherboard or if it’s a power supply problem?

It may be nearly impossible to diagnose one or the other without trying a different PSU or MB. But, what power supply is it, how old, and what GPU and other system components do you have? Also, have there been brown outs or sudden power outages or anything that could have damaged your PSU a little before this started happening? It may be easy to diagnose a PSU issue if it's a bad brand, old, damaged, etc.

It sounds like a hardware issue if it's immediately rebooting but just to be thorough you could also try to use Display Driver Uninstaller to clear out your windows drivers for the GPU and do a fresh reinstall. It will probably not fix it but it's free except for a little time. It will have you reboot in safe mode to run it, clear out the drivers, then reboot. You'll want the latest nvidia or amd driver package available to reinstall afterwards:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rexxed posted:

It may be nearly impossible to diagnose one or the other without trying a different PSU or MB. But, what power supply is it, how old, and what GPU and other system components do you have? Also, have there been brown outs or sudden power outages or anything that could have damaged your PSU a little before this started happening? It may be easy to diagnose a PSU issue if it's a bad brand, old, damaged, etc.

It sounds like a hardware issue if it's immediately rebooting but just to be thorough you could also try to use Display Driver Uninstaller to clear out your windows drivers for the GPU and do a fresh reinstall. It will probably not fix it but it's free except for a little time. It will have you reboot in safe mode to run it, clear out the drivers, then reboot. You'll want the latest nvidia or amd driver package available to reinstall afterwards:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Power supply is an "EVGA SuperNOVA G2 80+ Gold, modular, 550 W" and it's about 2-3 years old purchased new. GPU was a MSI GTX 970 bought at the same time. Motherboard is an ASRock mITX board also bought at the same time.

Also I did do a complete reinstall of Windows.

Right now I'm trying to register the PSU so I can do an RMA but that doesn't help me if the motherboard was the culprit. I just hoped there was an easy way to test it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I don't think there's going to be an easy test without exchanging one part or another. The EVGA PSUs are good so I wouldn't suspect it, but it's not impossible for it to have a failure. It's the same with ASRock stuff, it's usually good but with all electronics there can be a chance of failure.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What's the preferred tool for testing a HDD I got off Amazon? It's a regular spinny drive.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's the preferred tool for testing a HDD I got off Amazon? It's a regular spinny drive.

Not sure what you really want to test, but forcing a chkdsk /r /x should put it through an hours and hours long physical sector check that will perfom a good job of determining if there's major media issues as well as make sure the drive stands up to being active for a long time at once and thus probably doesn't have serious motor/spindle issues.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

fishmech posted:

Not sure what you really want to test, but forcing a chkdsk /r /x should put it through an hours and hours long physical sector check that will perfom a good job of determining if there's major media issues as well as make sure the drive stands up to being active for a long time at once and thus probably doesn't have serious motor/spindle issues.

Basically, I just want to see if the drive is a dud and I need to return/RMA it, or if it's good. It's a new drive, but I've seen people mention running tools to check new drives before. Just aren't sure which ones they're using.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
CrystalDiskInfo to check S.M.A.R.T. status.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tapedump posted:

CrystalDiskInfo to check S.M.A.R.T. status.

I want to actually stress the disk though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
My testing for hard drives before I go out on a search warrant is to simply do a single wipe pass. Takes a few hours and will let me know if there are issues writing to any of the sectors. All fine, great. Any errors - that disk is returned/binned.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Every manufacturer offers a drive testing tool. Just download that and run it.

WD - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3
Seagate - https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

They can do a long or short test. Long test will read SMART and test every sector on the disk.
You don't need to "stress" a drive to test it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FCKGW posted:

Every manufacturer offers a drive testing tool. Just download that and run it.

WD - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3
Seagate - https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

They can do a long or short test. Long test will read SMART and test every sector on the disk.
You don't need to "stress" a drive to test it.

Cool! I imagine these tools work no matter what brand the drive is?

E: looks like the Seagate one does so I'll check that one out tomorrow. Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 6, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Waste of time. It'll fail fast or last forever.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I'd like to move my PS4 and use the monitor my PC is hooked up to for that. However, I'm not sure how I am going to do sound. My speakers are connected to my PC via an aux cable, but I have no clue how I'd get my PS4 to them without constantly swapping the cable each time I want to switch sound sources. Does a small mixer like this exist?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Such home entertainment mixers are often sold under the name "receiver". You connect all your inputs and all your outputs to it and when you want to swap you just fiddle with the receiver controls. They tend to be rather expensive devices, though, since they need to pass through all sorts of fancy licensed audio formats and whatnot.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Most receivers will switch between audio sources, not mix them. Simple passive switch boxes exist as well for that purpose, if all you're dealing with is analog signals.

A cheap, small mixer would need to be powered and would likely be noisy as gently caress. It would also tend to have lots of features you wouldn't need (microphone inputs, equalizer, confusing layout) and would generally advertize its capabilites in number of mono channels. All this would cost you at least 4 to 10 times what the switch does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

cage-free egghead posted:

So I'd like to move my PS4 and use the monitor my PC is hooked up to for that. However, I'm not sure how I am going to do sound. My speakers are connected to my PC via an aux cable, but I have no clue how I'd get my PS4 to them without constantly swapping the cable each time I want to switch sound sources. Does a small mixer like this exist?

Connect this audio breakout adapter between the PS4 and your monitor.

e: didn't fully process what you're trying to do before replying.