Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh my god. I've just realised in the song "Daria" by Cake, he's not singing

"I won't be soothed over like,
Smoothed over like milk,
Silk, a bedspread, or a quilt,
I sing on a cake,
Or a serene translucent lake."

He's singing ICING ON A CAKE. :doh:

I have tickets to the Del Mar music festival in a couple weeks that I mostly bought because Cake is gonna be there and they've been my second favorite band for the last fifteen years (first favorite I guess technically since Page isn't in BNL anymore). Found out a couple days ago I probably won't actually get to see them because the two artists my boyfriend wants to see are back to back, on the same stage, while Cake is gonna be on a different stage and quite neatly occupying the same timeslot as inconveniently as possible :sigh:

This post doesn't really have anything to do with anything aside from my general frustration at KABOO's scheduling and desire to vent

e: new page, nailed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I have tickets to the Del Mar music festival in a couple weeks that I mostly bought because Cake is gonna be there and they've been my second favorite band for the last fifteen years (first favorite I guess technically since Page isn't in BNL anymore). Found out a couple days ago I probably won't actually get to see them because the two artists my boyfriend wants to see are back to back, on the same stage, while Cake is gonna be on a different stage and quite neatly occupying the same timeslot as inconveniently as possible :sigh:

This post doesn't really have anything to do with anything aside from my general frustration at KABOO's scheduling and desire to vent

e: new page, nailed it

You could see Cake on your own, though I do understand their could be reasons you'd rather not do that. Just throwing it out there.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh for sure, but the intent of the tickets was as a together activity, not a, gently caress off and go see my band while you gently caress off and see your bands, activity. Ah well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Just to throw a little gas on the fire:

Cake gives an absolutely fantastic live show (they did a 15 minute jam cover of War Pigs at one show). They are by far my favorite band and the fact you are skipping them tells me this guy is super cereal The One for you.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:laffo:

Well, so long as they don't pull a BNL and McCrea fucks off in 2019 I'll be okay (ask me about getting talked out of my tickets to one of BNL's last shows before they went public with the split please don't actually ask me)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Chicken Joy.

Chickenjoy.

Chick Enjoy.

Enjoy your chicken, is what Jollybee wants you to do. Chicken Joy. How did I never realize this. Well, I don't eat it that often.

Edit:

Also Emil's Song in nier automata has lyrics.

http://video-game-jams.tumblr.com/post/165934519619/nier-automata-emils-song

I thought it was just scatting or lyrics in that fake dead language from Nier.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Proteus Jones posted:

Just to throw a little gas on the fire:

Cake gives an absolutely fantastic live show (they did a 15 minute jam cover of War Pigs at one show). They are by far my favorite band and the fact you are skipping them tells me this guy is super cereal The One for you.

Saw them again this year and I don’t know how but they sound better live than on albums.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Some bands just sound better live. See: Oingo Boingo

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Dr. Victor Frankenstein was the true monster, forcing some guy resting in peace to live again.
Someone write an essay about this awesome and totally original thought I just had.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Dr. Victor Frankenstein was the true monster, forcing some guy resting in peace to live again.
Someone write an essay about this awesome and totally original thought I just had.

Intelligence: Knowing the Monster isn't "Frankenstein".

Wisdom: Realizing Frankenstein was the monster.

Galaxy brain: Knowing that there are many arguments to suggest that "Frankenstein" is a perfectly reasonable name to call the Monster.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Mighty Moltres posted:

They made it a bit more obvious in Spielberg's 1993 remake
https://i.imgur.com/O5260Q2.gifv

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

There’s Dr. Frankenstein the person, and there’s FRANKENSTEIN, a private corporation established by the federal government

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

SLOSifl posted:

There’s Dr. Frankenstein the person, and there’s FRANKENSTEIN, a private corporation established by the federal government

FIRE! BAD! I DO NOT CONSENT! :flame:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Adam Victorsohn Frankenstein

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The rat is also not named ratatouille

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Besesoth posted:

Intelligence: Knowing the Monster isn't "Frankenstein".

Wisdom: Realizing Frankenstein was the monster.

Galaxy brain: Knowing that there are many arguments to suggest that "Frankenstein" is a perfectly reasonable name to call the Monster.

No the monster is pretty much a monster

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phlegmish posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Phlegmish posted:

Hey Victor! I’m sorry about your monster.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Frankenstein's monster is actually what Victor named his dick.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

rodbeard posted:

A story about a man whose penis begins to speak, lectures him at length about his mistreatment of it, and then proceeds to destroy everything he loves before spending some one on one time with an old sailor at sea before disappearing into the ocean.

Wait, did I just turn the story into a metaphor for repressed homosexuality?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

rodbeard posted:

In researching my retort about Elizabeth bring wrecked by Frankenstein's monster on her wedding night, I learned that Mary Shelly was only 18 when she wrote the story and 20 when it was published. Didn't know that!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Mary Shelly wrote the story while getting high on laudanum with Percy Bysshe Shelly, Lord Byron, and Lord Byron's dealer who was probably in love with Lord Byron. So maybe.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Whalebone was used in corsets. I thought it was actual, literal bone. It's actually the baleen of a whale.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

big dyke energy posted:

It's actually the baleen of a whale.

Modern substitues are spring steel pallet strapping or big zipties.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

Mary Shelly wrote the story while getting high on laudanum with Percy Bysshe Shelly, Lord Byron, and Lord Byron's dealer who was probably in love with Lord Byron. So maybe.

I watched the movie and it was more of a swinger party. Maybe there was laudunum idk

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

rodbeard posted:

Well they had to stay inside because it was The Year Without a Summer and the weather was poo poo.

Also Lord Byron made up a story about a vampire that seduces chicks before murdering them and just happens to have the exact same name as the villain from a story that one of his exes wrote. A villain that was very transparently based on Byron.

Then his doctor/possible boy toy wrote it down and fleshed it out a bit resulting in the first piece of vampire fiction, at least in English, and at very least the first example of a vampire that's a suave aristocrat.

So a bunch of young people loving around Europe and getting bored from being cooped up inside all the time resulted in two mega influential works of horror fiction.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Drugs are good. I hope this isn't stuff you can't believe you just figured out

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Some people put anchovies in biff à la Lindström :eyepop:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The man next door in Massive Attack's "Man Next Door" is not "always a fussy fart." There is "always a fuss and fight."

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Sep 8, 2018

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

The man next door in Massive Attack's "Man Next Door" is not "always a fussy fart." There is always a fuss and a fight.

Oh. I always heard "always a pussy fart."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We hear what we want to hear.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

The man next door in Massive Attack's "Man Next Door" is not "always a fussy fart." There is "always a fuss and fight."

It's hard to hear it as "fuss and fight" even when I try. But I trust you're right.

lobsterminator has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Sep 9, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

lobsterminator posted:

It's hard to hear it as "fuss and fight" even when I try. But I trust you're right.

I also didn't realize this was a cover, and the lyric is a bit clearer in the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKzG53ZuH5I

Maybe Massive Attack thought it actually was "fussy fart." :v:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Are you guys deaf? It's clearly "Pussy Cow, Pussy Cow, Pussy Cow"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I just hear “revved up like a douche” :shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

fruit on the bottom posted:

I just hear “revved up like a douche” :shrug:

Well excuse me, while I kiss this guy.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Dirty Deeds and the Thunder Chief!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pffft you got it all wrong, it's thirty thieves and the thunder chief!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Dirty deets and the dunder chief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Little Early Birdy gave my anus curly-whirly