Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
It's Chapter 77 of We Never Learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Act-Age has been picked up by FAScans for a while so it's worth checking out if for nothing but it being kind of weird to have in Weekly Jump.

http://manga.fascans.com/manga/actage
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ACT-AGE/ (the first 3 chapters weren't done by FAScans because they were officially done by Viz when it was a Jump Start entry- they're probably free on WSJ's website too)

Basically, a high-school girl with no parents (Mother died, Father abandoned)...is somehow still allowed to take care of her younger siblings while trying to go to school and also work. She wants to be an actress, and unknowingly has developed incredible skill at method acting from sublimating her immense sadness/depression/etc into obsessively watching movies to feel emotion. She gets rejected from her first audition in the series despite being clearly talented because the woman running the agency realizes that enabling her method acting could lead her to a psychological breakdown and/or self harm. A young director disagrees with this and takes the MC under his wing to try and make her into a world class actor.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Act-Age has been picked up by FAScans for a while so it's worth checking out if for nothing but it being kind of weird to have in Weekly Jump.

Well, Promised Neverland kicks all kinds of rear end in ratings and volume sales, so it's not that strange seeing shounen Glass Mask in Jump. It's top 10 regular, too.

rvm fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 3, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

She can't leave, this is a romantic Manga. You can't mess with the status quo.:ohdear:

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Fabricated posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ACT-AGE/ (the first 3 chapters weren't done by FAScans because they were officially done by Viz when it was a Jump Start entry- they're probably free on WSJ's website too)

Basically, a high-school girl with no parents (Mother died, Father abandoned)...is somehow still allowed to take care of her younger siblings while trying to go to school and also work. She wants to be an actress, and unknowingly has developed incredible skill at method acting from sublimating her immense sadness/depression/etc into obsessively watching movies to feel emotion. She gets rejected from her first audition in the series despite being clearly talented because the woman running the agency realizes that enabling her method acting could lead her to a psychological breakdown and/or self harm. A young director disagrees with this and takes the MC under his wing to try and make her into a world class actor.

I've read the first dozen or so chapters and been meaning to catch up. I like how it showed how incredibly frustrating others find her to work with because not everything calls for Daniel Day Lewis.

I might have missed it in my skimming, but those who are reading Shuukan Shounen Hachi how are you finding it? I dropped it fairly early in because the "tournament school" premise didn't grab me and the stylistic callbacks to "Jitsu wa's" characters made me think that any moment a tiny Class Rep was going to pop out of the friendly rivals head.

Can I get a Cute/Dumb number out of 100? Has our "Earnest Wannabe Writer" burst free from his shell to become a "Dumb-mangaka"?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Fabricated posted:

Does this series play this premise straight? The description makes it sound super exploitative, and I can only hope the woman running the agency isn't considered the bad guy for thinking about the MC's mental health. That, and it just reminds me of how some child actors who wound up being completely hosed up on drugs, or had mental/emotional breakdowns.

I'm just thinking of Glass Mask where the MC actually did suffer a psychological breakdown. Her mentor and producer isolated her from her friends so she wouldn't get "distracted". And then the producer kept her mom away from the MC because he wanted to make it a huge deal for the press to go crazy over. Except the mom was seriously sick and died while she was travelling to see the MC, which had then caused said breakdown.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

amigolupus posted:

Does this series play this premise straight? The description makes it sound super exploitative, and I can only hope the woman running the agency isn't considered the bad guy for thinking about the MC's mental health. That, and it just reminds me of how some child actors who wound up being completely hosed up on drugs, or had mental/emotional breakdowns.

I'm just thinking of Glass Mask where the MC actually did suffer a psychological breakdown. Her mentor and producer isolated her from her friends so she wouldn't get "distracted". And then the producer kept her mom away from the MC because he wanted to make it a huge deal for the press to go crazy over. Except the mom was seriously sick and died while she was travelling to see the MC, which had then caused said breakdown.
The woman running the agency is said to be a former actor who was like Yonagi, and she recognized her issue because she herself had a method-acting related mental breakdown so she's not presented badly. The series isn't super new still so it hasn't gotten too far into Yonagi's mental health issues (it touches on it a bit, mostly in a "this could be a problem" way); it mostly deals with how Yonagi's natural method acting causes her not do her lines right or forget about the set design (she literally runs into a wall at one point) and how it annoys other actors and directors who prefer to control performances. I'm guessing Yonagi not being the most mentally healthy person is going to be used as kind of a ticking time-bomb thing later on as she does more roles.

Being weekly jump I think the direction that Act-Age is going to go isn't going to be like Glass Mask where her director benefactor does gross controlling stuff like shutting her off from her family, but rather he'll probably just keep pushing her into roles to develop her skills or roles that make use of her natural talent without considering that the wrong role might cause her to break down from using her own unpleasant memories for material instead of her just getting into the character itself.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 7, 2018

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Yak of Wrath posted:

I might have missed it in my skimming, but those who are reading Shuukan Shounen Hachi how are you finding it? I dropped it fairly early in because the "tournament school" premise didn't grab me and the stylistic callbacks to "Jitsu wa's" characters made me think that any moment a tiny Class Rep was going to pop out of the friendly rivals head.

Can I get a Cute/Dumb number out of 100? Has our "Earnest Wannabe Writer" burst free from his shell to become a "Dumb-mangaka"?

Like most manga about manga, it’s a bit up its own rear end. Working yourself into the ground is presented unambiguously as a good thing, editor/teachers are always right and have your best interests in mind when they’re abusing you, etc.

Panda girl is pretty good, though. 25/100 cute/dumb.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Fabricated posted:

The woman running the agency is said to be a former actor who was like Yonagi, and she recognized her issue because she herself had a method-acting related mental breakdown so she's not presented badly. The series isn't super new still so it hasn't gotten too far into Yonagi's mental health issues (it touches on it a bit, mostly in a "this could be a problem" way); it mostly deals with how Yonagi's natural method acting causes her not do her lines right or forget about the set design (she literally runs into a wall at one point) and how it annoys other actors and directors who prefer to control performances. I'm guessing Yonagi not being the most mentally healthy person is going to be used as kind of a ticking time-bomb thing later on as she does more roles.

Being weekly jump I think the direction that Act-Age is going to go isn't going to be like Glass Mask where her director benefactor does gross controlling stuff like shutting her off from her family, but rather he'll probably just keep pushing her into roles to develop her skills or roles that make use of her natural talent without considering that the wrong role might cause her to break down from using her own unpleasant memories for material instead of her just getting into the character itself. It touches on

Huh, that's pretty good to know. I'll have to check it out sometime. Also I like what you said about the MC having problems working with others since that was also a thing that wasn't properly addressed in Glass Mask. I really liked the acting bits in Glass Mask, but looking back on it it had some problems. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
there is another fairly dark series starting https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/tokyo-metropolitan-magic-technical-school/en/0/1/page/1

is jujutsu kaisen still doing well or what?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, if that's a sequel to jujutsu kaisen then it is rather likely jk has already ended.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
actually, i guess it is a prequel?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is that a sequel? spinoff? it's clearly the same characters. or is this like the original concept that became jujutsu kaisen

jaimani's box doesn't seem that interested in keeping up to date with chapters for jujutsu kaisen, so it's weird that they're picking up something else that's clearly in that same world

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It seems totally different series just sort of similar to.me

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jose posted:

It seems totally different series just sort of similar to.me

no, it's the same author and those are the upperclassmen who were introduced later on in jujutsu. i'm just kind of confused as to which came first.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

there is another fairly dark series starting https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/tokyo-metropolitan-magic-technical-school/en/0/1/page/1

is jujutsu kaisen still doing well or what?

Not sure how well its doing but given it got a spinoff so quickly at the very least the magazine is promoting it heavily. Was a decent first chapter too.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought I saw something in one of the recently translated chapters about it getting a prequel, I think it got a reprint on the first volume too?

semi-related, ad for vol 2 is pretty cool
https://twitter.com/jump_henshubu/status/1036750688448073733

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
also lmao that the gag about not explaining Panda carried over

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol what the gently caress

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The oneshot on jaiminis looks like someone read One Piece and Fairy tail and mashed together the boring parts of them with a side of not getting why the good parts are good.

Seriously look at this:

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 8, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Last panel looks like Zoro, Hawkeye Mihawk, Natsu, and Luffy at the same time and it bothers me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not seeing natsu but it does look weirdly similar to one piece somehow

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The headband screams Naruto reference too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It's a Momotaro reference
Because Momotaro is always represented with a headband.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think this is supposed to be a momotaro story considering it literally says momotaro on the first page

it also says that the author is 17?

e: ok yea the protagonist is literally named momotaro

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The oneshot on jaiminis looks like someone read One Piece and Fairy tail and mashed together the boring parts of them with a side of not getting why the good parts are good.

Seriously look at this:

Not enough action lines

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think this is supposed to be a momotaro story considering it literally says momotaro on the first page

it also says that the author is 17?

e: ok yea the protagonist is literally named momotaro

I haven't read anything beyond the comic itself
But the author is 17? Good on them hope they live comfortably and dont die from mangaka lifestyle injuries if they decide to join the industry
And whatever they do next has a little more originality to it

e: It's right on the cover page well done me :bravo:

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 8, 2018

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this is just reopening the wound about the other momotaro manga jaminis translated, uratarou, which got cancelled

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Chapter 78 of We Never Learn

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

new Jujutsu Kaisen https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/jujutsu-kaisen/en/0/22/page/1

hopefully it ends up ion shonen jump because the scans are erratic enough i forget what happens

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

new Jujutsu Kaisen https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/jujutsu-kaisen/en/0/22/page/1

hopefully it ends up ion shonen jump because the scans are erratic enough i forget what happens

I hope salaryman Shaman doesn't have to put in too much overtime.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

I hope salaryman Shaman doesn't have to put in too much overtime.

I love him

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'll be amazed if he's still alive within the next few chapters

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

That is my fear because we just had Kakashi own a grudge. So it feels like it's time to have someone do the job.
And conveniently a literal salaryman shows up

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

same but I still hope he makes it because he's really good

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sasuga Fumino.

It's been rough as a Fumino diehard since Rizu and Sensei have been firing on all cylinders lately, but I was right to have faith. Fumino is the absolute best.

Also Tsuitsui was killing it with the faces this chapter. Really genuine emotions and really funny faces.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Sasuga Fumino.

It's been rough as a Fumino diehard since Rizu and Sensei have been firing on all cylinders lately, but I was right to have faith. Fumino is the absolute best.

Also Tsuitsui was killing it with the faces this chapter. Really genuine emotions and really funny faces.

Yes.

The relationship between Fumino and Nariyuki is a great brother sister type thing. I especially liked how they simply went private to actually talk it out before it escalates to far, which is what usually tends to happen.

But those faces..:allears:, I felt sorry for Nariyuki that he was so sad that Fumino didn't like his gift. :unsmith:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if Fumino would have been more happy or less happy if Nariyuki had genuinely bought her a bra (instead of being a mix up) and the bra had fit.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is my biggest concern for the anime adaptation. I really hope they manage to nail expressions as well as the manga does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This week on Space Fairy Tail we resolve time paradoxes by creating new ones and Space Ezra finally turns up.