Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It is crazy to me that the 5ghz thing has persisted through every firmware update they have published since the day I bought the thing and leads me to believe that it is a hardware issue at some level, but I can't really be sure. It does seem like a relatively common occurrence though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've got a reflashed ac-1900 running the most recent Merlin fw and it works great, but today the internet has been out all day and this is causing the router to poo poo its pants. If you plug directly into the modem you get an IP and an orderly status page indicating that the internet is offline, as you'd expect. The moment you plug the router into the modem, both its CPUs Spike to 100%, the webui becomes unresponsive, etc. Unplug it from the router and it and it stops. Bizarre. Any clue what might be causing this?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just installed my 2nd Unifi AC AP Lite along with the Unifi controller in an Unraid docker and I am super impressed.

I’m thinking of moving from my R7000 as a router (disabled the wireless, prefer the unifi APs) to a Unifi USG and 8 port Unifi switch with the PoE ports just so I can have the end to end setup on the controller, it’s a really cool and powerful interface.

So tired of always having to reboot my R7000 when it flakes out which is very often.

Any issues with running pi-hole as a dns and dhcp server with the USG? I’m guessing not but good to check..

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
PFSense rocks in case anyone feels like reusing an old PC box or similar. Even upped my bandwidth a bit.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

priznat posted:

Any issues with running pi-hole as a dns and dhcp server with the USG? I’m guessing not but good to check..

I'm doing this and it's fine. I had the USG already in the network, and Pi-hole installs with the DHCP server already off so it was really just changing the DNS server on the USG to the Pi-hole ip. Overall pretty straightforward.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Darth Llama posted:

I'm doing this and it's fine. I had the USG already in the network, and Pi-hole installs with the DHCP server already off so it was really just changing the DNS server on the USG to the Pi-hole ip. Overall pretty straightforward.

Do you use the USG DHCP then? Other than specifying a couple of static IPs like the pi-hole and my NAS I don’t think there is a good reason to go one way or the other so either should be fine.

Gonna get the USG and a perfboard and ziptie all my networking stuff to the wall all nice and neat, I think.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I'm not using a USG. I'm using a pfSense box, but I would say that using the USG for DHCP is the way to go.

I used to have various Linux boxes set up with static IP's in their respective config files but it's much easier to leave everything on automatic and force any static IP's you might need via MAC address from one centralised point.

In your case, I'd guess that the USG is a more stable device to dish out static IP's, since a Raspberry Pi can very occasionally not boot properly after an update or get a corrupt SD card. It's a very occasional problem but I'd personally feel better letting the USG handle all that stuff.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Definitely do static DHCP options from your source. Makes management and IP changes a breeze.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Recently I ordered a TP-LINK Archer C5 (AC1200) from Amazon. It was from the product page and didn't show any details about the item (as in it just said add to cart, not "see all buying options" with the info next to the item I was ordering), so I didn't notice it was the router only without any wires or antenna. I know next to nothing on using routers other than setting them up out the box they came in so... What kind of antenna am I supposed to get for this? :smith:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Return it. You got a used one that is missing stuff.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

priznat posted:

Do you use the USG DHCP then? Other than specifying a couple of static IPs like the pi-hole and my NAS I don’t think there is a good reason to go one way or the other so either should be fine.

Gonna get the USG and a perfboard and ziptie all my networking stuff to the wall all nice and neat, I think.

Yes, I use the USG DHCP and just used reserved IP's in the Unifi controller for the Pi-hole and a NAS. Yeah, either is fine. I just already had the USG doing it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

For what it’s worth I initially had my pihole as my DHCP server too and it was a bit more of a pain in the but instead of just letting the router do it. Of course that’s with a consumer Archer C7 and maybe the USG night play better, but I don’t know if any specific advantages of using the pihole as the DHCP server too.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Looking to help out both my parents and my sister (separate houses).

They both have wifi in that works fine in the house, but limited range outside. They would like it to reach their garages.

Parents setup:

- DSL modem with separate wireless router (Linksys E1200)
- Garage is about 80-100' away. Direct line-of-site from router through a window. Have internet standing in the open doorway facing the house, but no usable signal inside. Garage is stick-built with vinyl siding.

Sister's setup:

- DSL modem and wireless router combined (CenturyLink PK5001Z, says it is 802.11n)
- Garage is about 100' away through two interior walls.
- Using Wifi Analyzer on my phone, at modem/router -35 db, at garage -85 db (phones says connected to Wifi but no Internet)

They both live in a rural area. There is no one else on the 2.4 or the 5 GHz spectrums.

Neither the Lynsys nor the CenturyLink have external antennas. That seems odd to me. Can a router with only internal antennas still provide a strong signal, or is this that a clear sign of an underpowered router?

I have a TP-LINK Archer C7. I was thinking the next time I was out there, I'd bring my router and just plug it in to power at the same spot and see if I can access the Wifi in their garages (understanding that I wouldn't have internet access, just checking the signal strength).

If that works, I'm guessing my best option is to just upgrade their routers. My parents' is straight forward, since I'd swap out their Linksys. For my sister's, can I add a router to a combo modem/router? Or is router-on-router action not recommended?

If that doesn't work, based on my initial research it looks like Wifi extender, Wifi repearters, mesh systems, and power line network with access point are all possible options.

Does anyone have recomendations on which might make sense? The power line network looks tempting; my parents' wiring is from 40 years ago, my sister completely renovated with new wiring a few years ago.

Is there anything else I should check out when I am there next, other than just testing my router?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the ground between the house and garage is just turf then dig a trench, by the time you’ve bought the bits for a wireless link you’ve paid the same as what conduit and a box of cable would cost you anyway.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Seconded unless you just really want to gently caress with setting up a point to point link

ickna
May 19, 2004

Thirded. I just set up an Ac-lite in my brother’s garage last week with direct burial cat6. His was a metal garage so there wasn’t really any other option but it wasn’t that hard.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Thanks Ants posted:

If the ground between the house and garage is just turf then dig a trench, by the time you’ve bought the bits for a wireless link you’ve paid the same as what conduit and a box of cable would cost you anyway.

Dogen posted:

Seconded unless you just really want to gently caress with setting up a point to point link

ickna posted:

Thirded. I just set up an Ac-lite in my brother’s garage last week with direct burial cat6. His was a metal garage so there wasn’t really any other option but it wasn’t that hard.

Thanks for the feedback, I had thought about burying a cable out, I just assumed that a wireless setup would be easier. My parents' place has a concrete apron around both the house and the garage, so it wouldn't be as simple as just digging a trench in earth. My sister still needs to run power out to her garage, so burying a cat6 in the same trench might work fine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't know what the deal is with electrical code in the US, if there's a concept of direct burial steel armoured cable or whether you need to put a conduit in the ground, but I'd be surprised if your low voltage cable could live inside the same conduit as the mains power. You can get direct burial Cat6 cable but digging is a pain, so I'd always advise putting something in that lets you pull more wires through later, even if it's just to replace a damaged run. I guess there's no restrictions on network cable so you could bury a plastic water pipe if you wanted to, and put the network cable inside of that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't know what the deal is with electrical code in the US, if there's a concept of direct burial steel armoured cable or whether you need to put a conduit in the ground, but I'd be surprised if your low voltage cable could live inside the same conduit as the mains power. You can get direct burial Cat6 cable but digging is a pain, so I'd always advise putting something in that lets you pull more wires through later, even if it's just to replace a damaged run. I guess there's no restrictions on network cable so you could bury a plastic water pipe if you wanted to, and put the network cable inside of that.

At least in euroland you are not allowed to mix data copper and power copper(some people say the same for data fiber and power copper). If you go to the extent of digging a trench, running two conduits is not much of an increase in price.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here (:britain:) the rules are that you can put mains power (low voltage) and ethernet (extra low voltage) in the same containment only if the ethernet is insulated to the same voltage as the LV part (it isn't) or you have an earthed metal screen around the LV part. You can achieve the latter by using SWA cable but then you wouldn't also be pulling it through a duct because that's a waste of money. So in practise the two go in totally separate containment.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It's been a while since I have done this, but are all the cool kids just buying a Qotom box and running PFSense or similar? I used to run m0n0wall, but it hasn't been updated in almost five years.

So the Qotom for 1Gb internet coming in, switch my ISP provided Netgear to bridge mode for wifi, pihole for DNS, and a simple Gb switch to link up all the wired stuff?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see how you can do better for that price unless you do a Ubquiti Edgerouter. I like PFsense much better though. I expect those Qotom boxes have Intel NICs?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

redeyes posted:

I don't see how you can do better for that price unless you do a Ubquiti Edgerouter. I like PFsense much better though. I expect those Qotom boxes have Intel NICs?

Yeah, looks like it's this: https://ark.intel.com/products/64404/Intel-Ethernet-Controller-I211-AT

I wonder if I should just do the ubiquiti, though. Might be worth gaining more familiarity with their products...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, looks like it's this: https://ark.intel.com/products/64404/Intel-Ethernet-Controller-I211-AT

I wonder if I should just do the ubiquiti, though. Might be worth gaining more familiarity with their products...

I'd go PFsense (actually I just made that decision vs an Edgerouter X). It's just much more powerful overall. The PFsense interface is very nice and easy to navigate and more things can be done in the GUI vs command line. If the idea is to dogfood the stuff you support, its kind of a wash. Ubiquiti support sucks imo. PFsense has similarly open source type support unless you buy a commercial box.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

redeyes posted:

I'd go PFsense (actually I just made that decision vs an Edgerouter X). It's just much more powerful overall. The PFsense interface is very nice and easy to navigate and more things can be done in the GUI vs command line. If the idea is to dogfood the stuff you support, its kind of a wash. Ubiquiti support sucks imo. PFsense has similarly open source type support unless you buy a commercial box.

Yeah I ran PFSense for a bit way back when, I'll probably go that route, then. If I really need to learn more Ubiquiti stuff, I'll just have work buy me a $100 router to goof with.

Thanks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Stumbled across this last night: https://github.com/mjp66/Ubiquiti

Seems like with a few tweaks here and there (timezone, authentication, etc), I could just dump that entire 'show configuration commands' into a shell script and let it rip. Am I crazy?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

IOwnCalculus posted:

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a UAP-AC-PRO. Having spent three+ hours recovering my R7000 from a bad DD-WRT flash has me no longer wanting to waste my loving time with it. Between that and the fact that the DD-WRT support forums are the loving worst about condescending shitposts masquerading as advice, I'm done with that project.

I hear you. I picked up an R7000 at a going out of business sale on a whim (I just wanted something dual band to sit between my lovely AT&T Motorola and my network, so did minimal research - that's on me) and the open source ecosystem for this router is amazingly messy and hacky. The least problematic option appears to be Xvortex-WRT, which is a closed-source collection of license violations from some guy in Russia :v: Even DD-WRT for the R7000 lacks hardware acceleration and is dependent on Kong's (largely undocumented, as far as I can tell) secret sauce.

I've been using Tomato but I'm not sure how much I want to rely on it remaining updated and secure (for a variety of reasons, like being tied to kernel 2.6 because of Broadcom's binary blobs, and the lack of continuity in its development). After spending a day poking through the code, I realized that I didn't want to take on a project that didn't really interest me just to make a 5 year old consumer router suck a little less.

Shopping for a replacement has really driven home how lovely and insecure consumer networking gear is. I settled on an ERL and Unifi AP to replace the R7000 since we're getting AT&T fiber soon. I was originally going to cheap out and get a TP-Link PoE managed switch to sit in the middle, but after some research I have serious concerns about TP-Link's security capabilities. So I got a Unifi switch instead, but then again Ubiquiti recently had PHP 2 running as root on one of its devices, so maybe there is no winning at this price point.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

OpnSense > PFsense. Especially for having non garbage poo poo forums full of shitheads.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

OpnSense > PFsense. Especially for having non garbage poo poo forums full of shitheads.

That does look mighty interesting, not sure why I didn't notice it before.. in any case, any chance it would be able to restore a backup from pfsense? I just got through 3 days of screwing around with mine. At this point though, I could rebuild my setup from scratch on mostly anything.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i'm getting in too deep trying to find a mesh wifi system. is there an updated reliable buying guide anywhere on the internet these days?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Careful Drums posted:

i'm getting in too deep trying to find a mesh wifi system. is there an updated reliable buying guide anywhere on the internet these days?

Kinda simplified, but Wirecutter has an article that is pretty up to date
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

redeyes posted:

That does look mighty interesting, not sure why I didn't notice it before.. in any case, any chance it would be able to restore a backup from pfsense? I just got through 3 days of screwing around with mine. At this point though, I could rebuild my setup from scratch on mostly anything.

Yeah I don't think there's a direct migration path for PF to Opn.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
The latter is better (other than forums) argument in 30 words or less—What say you?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Tapedump posted:

The latter is better (other than forums) argument in 30 words or less—What say you?

Nicer interface, very good documentation, less focused on trying to get you to go enterprise. Also no aes-ni requirements.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah I don't think there's a direct migration path for PF to Opn.

Opn will accept a PF backup. Apparently pretty well, also.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Welp, I stand corrected.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Family just got this thing.

Tell me. Is this as bad an idea as it looks?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fish Noise posted:

Family just got this thing.

Tell me. Is this as bad an idea as it looks?

:stare:

Might be fun to watch it on wireshark though.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Stumbled across this last night: https://github.com/mjp66/Ubiquiti

Seems like with a few tweaks here and there (timezone, authentication, etc), I could just dump that entire 'show configuration commands' into a shell script and let it rip. Am I crazy?

The answer is no. Seems like there might be some order of operations issues here but it's realistically just as easy to go through the steps outlined in the PDF. It does make for a nice setup overall.

Only issue I'm having since moving to the UAP-AC-Pro is that my goddamn Honeywell Lyric won't connect to it reliably. It joins the network and shows as a client, but won't pull an IP address. It sends a DHCP DISCOVER, my DHCP servers (tried both the ER-X and pihole) send a DHCP OFFER and... the thermostat sends the DISCOVER again. Found one other person on the Ubiquiti forums with the exact same issue and no resolution.

Given that everything else that connects to that IOT SSID gets an IP no problem, I'm inclined to blame Honeywell. Worst case the R7000 will stick around a bit longer.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

Opn will accept a PF backup. Apparently pretty well, also.

Sweeet. Now I know what I'm doing tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Only issue I'm having since moving to the UAP-AC-Pro is that my goddamn Honeywell Lyric won't connect to it reliably. It joins the network and shows as a client, but won't pull an IP address. It sends a DHCP DISCOVER, my DHCP servers (tried both the ER-X and pihole) send a DHCP OFFER and... the thermostat sends the DISCOVER again. Found one other person on the Ubiquiti forums with the exact same issue and no resolution.

Given that everything else that connects to that IOT SSID gets an IP no problem, I'm inclined to blame Honeywell. Worst case the R7000 will stick around a bit longer.

I'd suggest putting a static IP address on the Lyric, but I looked it up, and wow, you can't.

Honestly, anything that you put on a network should have the ability to be statically addressed.