Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

by never hitting 'em

what I don't understand is how anyone lives without a numpad

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

cant go wrong with blues or browns

get clears

idk what kind of person can type with browns or blues and not make a millions typos

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

The concept of "bottoming out" and being a bad typing technique is completely invented by redditors and has no basis. I'm pretty sure that it makes gently caress all difference how hard you press the keys re if you get tendinitis or carpal tunnel.

I'm going to take it one step further and also assert that the concept was probably invented to blame victims of poo poo ergonomic layouts which are nearly universal in the mechanical keyboard world.

agreed a million percent, anyone who says you "shouldn't" be bottoming out is parroting horseshit they got from reading too much geekhack. i've never seen any good justification for it and even that blurb from kinesis that alicorn posted sounds bullshitty. just loving type and quit sperging out so much about it.

duckfarts posted:

more like spergonomic

also agreed a million percent.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

I have completely forgotten what a numpad is at this point.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’ve been pounding the back of my AEK II for nearly three decades with no RSI developing on my part

it‘s none the worse for wear too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

eschaton posted:

I’ve been pounding the back of my AEK II for nearly three decades with no RSI developing on my part

it‘s none the worse for wear too

i know ive mentioned it before but those early apple keyboards are a dream and my adb would be perfect if not for the stupid arrow key layout they have. i have the old imate adapter but im tempted to make one of the arduino or we versions if theyd promise less latency

i have a different later model apple keyboard but it is rubber dome and creaks which is weird and might as well be the blue and white g3 kb sans the colors at that point so idk. i just like slim keyboards and the first adb model is a nice size. ive kept an eye on slim mechanicals but i have no idea where to look

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Gyre posted:

if im just starting out what would you guys recommend for a keyboard and switches? im a naturally heavy typer

i'd recommend daily cardio and an exclusion diet so you can become a healthy typer

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Agile Vector posted:

i know ive mentioned it before but those early apple keyboards are a dream and my adb would be perfect if not for the stupid arrow key layout they have. i have the old imate adapter but im tempted to make one of the arduino or we versions if theyd promise less latency

i have a different later model apple keyboard but it is rubber dome and creaks which is weird and might as well be the blue and white g3 kb sans the colors at that point so idk. i just like slim keyboards and the first adb model is a nice size. ive kept an eye on slim mechanicals but i have no idea where to look

the arrow keys dont bother me as much as the isotrash return key, but yeah the adb is pretty close to perfect. its too bad that the aekii doesnt feel as good to type on. eschaton would say that there are some variants that are better but idk both of mine are solidly decent but not great

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Raluek posted:

the arrow keys dont bother me as much as the isotrash return key, but yeah the adb is pretty close to perfect. its too bad that the aekii doesnt feel as good to type on. eschaton would say that there are some variants that are better but idk both of mine are solidly decent but not great

the AEK, AEK II (Made In Japan), AEK II (Made In not-Japan), and AEK II [S] all have different feel, because they all use different key switches

I’ve found I vastly prefer the Mitsumi key switches in my AEK II (Made In Japan) keyboards, probably mostly due to familiarity

next best I’d say are the AEK II non-[S] and original AEK which feel very similar and I think use the same ALPS switches; this is what the Matias keyboards are trying to clone too

finally are the AEK II [S] which are fine, and a little quieter as they use slightly damped switches, but their click just doesn’t feel quite right to me—again, I suspect mostly due to familiarity

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have completely forgotten what a numpad is at this point.

it's that thing on my windows computer that puts the spacebar off-center`

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eschaton posted:

the AEK, AEK II (Made In Japan), AEK II (Made In not-Japan), and AEK II [S] all have different feel, because they all use different key switches

I’ve found I vastly prefer the Mitsumi key switches in my AEK II (Made In Japan) keyboards, probably mostly due to familiarity

next best I’d say are the AEK II non-[S] and original AEK which feel very similar and I think use the same ALPS switches; this is what the Matias keyboards are trying to clone too

finally are the AEK II [S] which are fine, and a little quieter as they use slightly damped switches, but their click just doesn’t feel quite right to me—again, I suspect mostly due to familiarity

the one i use most often is usa alps-made with white damped switches; feels nothing like the adb keyboard. deskthority says there is a variant with the same switch as the adb, though (salmon alps).

whats [s]?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Raluek posted:

the one i use most often is usa alps-made with white damped switches; feels nothing like the adb keyboard. deskthority says there is a variant with the same switch as the adb, though (salmon alps).

whats [s]?

the keyboard uses white or cream damped ALPS switches, mainly to be quieter; these have an S in a square in the bottom right of the backplate as an indicator

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

do you guys use arm rests or do you let your arms dangle at your sides?

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

BONGHITZ posted:

do you guys use arm rests or do you let your arms dangle at your sides?

arm rests are the devil
I mean, im usually down with hailing Satan, but not this time

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

arm rests at work with my fancy office chair. no armrests at home because I have a cheap office chair w/o adjustable armrests

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Got a keyboard and then gayed it up.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gayyyyyy

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

e: i like it

burning swine
May 26, 2004

daaaaamn that is gay

A+

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Gyre posted:

i like it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

same

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Gyre posted:

looks gay ok to me

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

why is the laptop bent tho

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
far out keyboard but please check your laptop for an inflated battery.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

seems rude to praise the keyboard but admonish the laptop for not being straight imo

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Nude posted:

far out keyboard but please check your laptop for an inflated battery.

laptop just looks like that, the screen's edge lines up with the little bump

Agile Vector posted:

seems rude to praise the keyboard but admonish the laptop for not being straight imo

lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Agile Vector posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gyre posted:

if it feels good then it is good

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The indigo 0 key intruding into the violet range is really honking me off.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is cherry brown teh one thats a good click but not stupid loud? is this a decent keyboard? i want a numpad

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N9TPC95

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
also someone tell me a good cliky keyboard that isnt like five hundred buxks

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

bump_fn posted:

is cherry brown teh one thats a good click but not stupid loud? is this a decent keyboard? i want a numpad

Yes, Cherry Browns are the ones. If you still think they're too loud after purchasing the keyboard, you can install O-rings (just buy them on Amazon) to further silence the keys.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 3, 2018

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

still really enjoy my kinesis

burning swine
May 26, 2004

bump_fn posted:

yes ducky keyboards are good and yeah browns are good

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lambert posted:

Yes, Cherry Browns are the ones. If you still think they're too loud after purchasing the keyboard, you can install 0-rings (just buy them on Amazon) to further silence the keys.

o-rings, not 0-rings

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bump_fn posted:

browns are good.

topres are better, but browns are good.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the browns though... not so good.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

yes ducky keyboards are good and yeah browns are good

seriously think browns are too soft.