Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

There wasn't a big L shaped sticker on there with a ton of little circles to mark off?

Nope. We unlocked it a long time ago in my IRL campaign but it's not in the TTS envelope. Bug? Oversight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nope. We unlocked it a long time ago in my IRL campaign but it's not in the TTS envelope. Bug? Oversight?

Oh, TTS? Probably a bug or an oversight then.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
The more of these "guest design" scenarios I play, the more I dread them. 71 was a real piece of poo poo.

Retired our Spellweaver, unlocked Moon. Seems interesting. Tips?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

I ride bikes all day posted:

The more of these "guest design" scenarios I play, the more I dread them. 71 was a real piece of poo poo.

Retired our Spellweaver, unlocked Moon. Seems interesting. Tips?

Moon (aka eclipse): Hope your other guys can tank 'cause this dude's gonna be invisible 75-95% of the fuckin' time. He's super good on turns when he can use night so nobody steal it and generate it for him if you can. One of his base moves just instakills a normal mob by using night and it's not a loss. Level 6(ish?) he's got the same thing, but it's Night + Any element to instakill a normal or elite. SO GOOD.

He's slow as balls (movement, not initiative) and has no jumps. Not a team player but he fucks poo poo up. Have fun!

Also yes almost all the guest design scenarios have been a shitshow of either unbalanced design or unfun mechanics. Except 73, that one was bitchin' cool.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
failed scenario 19 once, then immediately did it a second time and succeeded. the npc stepped on a trap and then entered the last room and got hit once and died the first attempt. we had a Two Figure but he wasted his figure swap card on something even though i had said he should save it for the npc (but not too strongly). next game the npc was stopped from moving forward onto a trap adjacent to me because i had sprung the middle one on purpose, which seems to have been the correct way to manage the npcs movement. i jumped over the gangbang 5 spaces and we swapped my position with the npc's and won

Relin fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 31, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Painting the 2 minis class is a lot harder than I originally thought it would be. It's coming along nicely but I didn't think it would involve so much effort to make it look nice.

Speaking of which, our Spellweaver retired last night and will be starting a new 2 minis next session. He's really hype.

His retirement also unlocked envelope X and we think it's pretty cool. We have no idea WTH is going on with it but we're enjoying the mystery.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

We've finally had our first unlock tonight. Our first three unlocks even, and I made our first official retirement by collecting a pile of junk. (We've also had unofficial retirements by the Mindthief and Scoundrel who couldn't find their targets and will come back when we do). So I've been working to unlocking Three Spears since I put the Mindthief on the back burner for the Spellweaver - but with a Cragheart and Sun in the party I decided that we didn't need a third tank. So I picked up the unlocked Angry Face.

What do I have to look forward to other than hanging back and shooting all the enemies while I put together a retirement goal I hope to take 11 missions?

Envelope X is very disappointing, especially with the typo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Envelope X is really cool, for a certain sort of person.

I could understand being a little disappointed if you're not that sort of person though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

neonchameleon posted:

We've finally had our first unlock tonight. Our first three unlocks even, and I made our first official retirement by collecting a pile of junk. (We've also had unofficial retirements by the Mindthief and Scoundrel who couldn't find their targets and will come back when we do). So I've been working to unlocking Three Spears since I put the Mindthief on the back burner for the Spellweaver - but with a Cragheart and Sun in the party I decided that we didn't need a third tank. So I picked up the unlocked Angry Face.

What do I have to look forward to other than hanging back and shooting all the enemies while I put together a retirement goal I hope to take 11 missions?

Angry Face: It's pretty much just shooting people in the face, yeah. Dooms are neat, but there's not a ton of bells and whistles to the class. Personally, I really enjoyed it, because you get to shoot people in the face really, really hard basically all the time. It might actually have the best single-target damage output in the game. Certainly in terms of sustained damage, it does. It sort of also has traps and summons, except they're not all that good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Angry Face is also surprisingly mobile for an archer/sniper type character.

Going to give the solo scenario a go this afternoon.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Why are you spoiling that there is a typo related to the envelope X mystery?

If anything spoils the mystery, it's not knowing about the typo.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
We opened envelope X as one of our first retirements and (spoiler on contents of envelope)were a little disappointed that it was just a code that, while cool, was nothing tangible..

For those that opened it and felt the same (minor suggestion)don't feel bad about looking around the internet for clues and spoilers. I felt like we were at a dead end with it and I didn't have the time or energy to devote to it and felt pretty vindicated when I looked up some hints followed by a full spoiler.

Also angry face chat: playing him now and the character is hella cool. 12 card hand feels amazing on someone other than tinkerer and dooms are cool. Love attacking for 6/7 on a regular basis or making people explode. Mobility can be an issue when you need to Doom frequently.]

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 3, 2018

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

neonchameleon posted:

Envelope X talk. What is the typo?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also angry face chat: playing him now and the character is hella cool. 12 card hand feels amazing on someone other than tinkerer and dooms are cool. Love attacking for 6/7 on a regular basis or making people explode. Mobility can be an issue when you need to Doom frequently.]

Angry Face: You get a Doom card that lets you swap with a dead Doomed target. It's good

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Quick question from someone who hasn't played the game: do the different board environments (wooden floors, blue stone, red stone, outdoors, etc) have any mechanical relevance? I want to reskin Gloomhaven and I'm just wondering a) if I have to use the same number of unique environments and b) if I have to approximate them to the originals somehow (like indoor vs outdoor maybe?), or if I can just go hog wild as long as I end up with the same number of tiles in the correct shapes.

I'm going to be completely rewriting/reskinning the quests too, so flavour isn't an issue. I'm just not sure if there are special rules for the different environments which the scenarios might rely on for balance.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

HazCat posted:

Quick question from someone who hasn't played the game: do the different board environments (wooden floors, blue stone, red stone, outdoors, etc) have any mechanical relevance? I want to reskin Gloomhaven and I'm just wondering a) if I have to use the same number of unique environments and b) if I have to approximate them to the originals somehow (like indoor vs outdoor maybe?), or if I can just go hog wild as long as I end up with the same number of tiles in the correct shapes.

I'm going to be completely rewriting/reskinning the quests too, so flavour isn't an issue. I'm just not sure if there are special rules for the different environments which the scenarios might rely on for balance.

No, the only things that have mechanical relevance are tiles you put on the hexes.

Well, walls have mechanical relevance.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Some of the individual scenarios apply special rules to hexes on a particular tile, and when that's the case it usually has a different theme from the tiles that aren't affected by that rule.

But presumably your retheme involves developing all new scenarios, so that's not particularly relevant to you.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

No, the only things that have mechanical relevance are tiles you put on the hexes.

Well, walls have mechanical relevance.

Oh yeah, I forgot to note that I know walls are important :shobon:

Jabor posted:

Some of the individual scenarios apply special rules to hexes on a particular tile, and when that's the case it usually has a different theme from the tiles that aren't affected by that rule.

But presumably your retheme involves developing all new scenarios, so that's not particularly relevant to you.

I'm actually hoping to retheme the scenarios but keep them playable, so this might still be something I need to work around?

I assumed this sort of thing would be in the 'special rules' sections of individual scenarios, but I just flipped through the whole scenario book and couldn't find anything like this. Do you know where it's normally listed, or a scenario that does it off the top of your head that I could check?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Angry Face solo scenario (at level 6) is the easiest I've seen / done. Basically plan a Doom for each room, and then use Camo + initiative to avoid getting hit much

Even did it twice because I didn't realise one card the level 5 Doom that kills after 3 turns isn't meant to work on some enemies.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You get quite a few move 5s, plus the teleport doom. I've found it far more mobile than I expected.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HazCat posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to note that I know walls are important :shobon:

I'm actually hoping to retheme the scenarios but keep them playable, so this might still be something I need to work around?

I assumed this sort of thing would be in the 'special rules' sections of individual scenarios, but I just flipped through the whole scenario book and couldn't find anything like this. Do you know where it's normally listed, or a scenario that does it off the top of your head that I could check?

Thinking about it some more, the only time I can definitely recall is actually one of the scenarios from the kickstarter mini-campaign.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i did the three spears solo scenario, took two tries. i only lost the first because monster card rng hosed me hard. if you have the right item it is very, very easy. but you've been stealing all the gold, right?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Angry Face is also surprisingly mobile for an archer/sniper type character.

Going to give the solo scenario a go this afternoon.

Thing is, it needs to be, because it isn't going to be MOVING that often. Its general play style is 'stand still and shoot stuff until all the stuff I can shoot is dead, bounce to a new shooting position, repeat. It needs to be able to bounce far and fast in order for the whole thing to work - because the Dooms are bottom actions and usually need to be re-applied between targets, and it's *very* rare that your current Doom will last for more than two of your attacks.

I'm really enjoying Angry Face though - it's tied with Sun for my favourite character.

Does anyone have any enhancement advice for it though? I'm guessing +range on things to get everything up to range 5, and then just boring old +attack

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Does anyone have any enhancement advice for it though? I'm guessing +range on things to get everything up to range 5, and then just boring old +attack

I've done +range on Swift Trickery and Fresh Kill, and am saving up for +Bless on the bottom of A Moment's Peace (or maybe +range on Press the Attack).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Cocks Cable posted:

Envelope X talk. What is the typo?

For road event card 36, the first digit in the translated number should be a 6, not an 8

For reals though just look up the result to Envelope X, it's not worth the buildup and it's quite possible to never solve it the "right" way. One of the clues is hidden behind a scenario that can be blocked off and thus never played (unless you decide to go back and play in casual mode) Others are hidden on road events that may never be pulled.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Piell posted:

One of the clues is hidden behind a scenario that can be blocked off and thus never played (unless you decide to go back and play in casual mode)

Which one is that?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Which one is that?

Scenario 15. In Scenario 13 you got to choose to unlock Scenario 15, 17, or 20, so if you pick either of the other two you won't find it unless you choose to go back to do it in casual mode, which most groups probably won't do, or at least won't do until they've finished all the regularly unlocked scenarios but still want to do more Gloomhaven.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Piell posted:

Scenario 15. In Scenario 13 you got to choose to unlock Scenario 15, 17, or 20, so if you pick either of the other two you won't find it unless you choose to go back to do it in casual mode, which most groups probably won't do, or at least won't do until they've finished all the regularly unlocked scenarios but still want to do more Gloomhaven.

You can unlock scenario 15 from scenario 39 (and 17 can be unlocked by another method too).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You can unlock scenario 15 from scenario 39 (and 17 can be unlocked by another method too).

Ah, fair enough. The road event one is still applicable, though!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, it is. Especially with the way casual mode handles them (or rather, doesn't).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Honestly, for me (X spoilers) the worst bit is not necessarily the typo (if you can get everything else, you can probably work it out even with the error) but the fact that at least one of the clues leads to a 3rd part site over which Cephalofair have zero control, so it the dies, they're humped. In general, clues leading to stuff online are risky at best, I'd've far preferred it if everything led to stuff inside the game. I don't mind the extended puzzle aspect necessarily but making it not self contained is dumb.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Hey, can anyone give me some advice? We're level 4, and just unlocked the thing that lets you put stickers on cards. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with whats a good way to upgrade the Mindthief?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Enhancement stickers aren't a spoiler because they're in the rulebook, chat away!

I added range to my bottom action stun as a cheap first upgrade because I felt range 2 was too limiting.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Range on Perverse Edge, Movement on Scurry.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Put Strengthen on the Move 2 + Heal 2 Self.

(Bless could also put up good average damage numbers, what with how thin your attack modifier deck is, but as Mindthief you're often doing things like "I'm going to go in aggressively but it's okay because this guy's gonna be dead", so consistency is IMO more important.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

General good enhancements:
Wound on Stun attacks.
+range on stuff that's shorter range than everything else in your arsenal
jump on moves if you don't have many
specific elements you need on whatever
Bless or Strengthen on stuff that targets you or allies.
Curse on stuff targetting enemies, especially lots of enemies with low damage (though, cursebombing is a whole discussion, it tends to trivialise the game if you do it too much)

There are a couple of specific enhancements that individual classes really want in order to work as apparently intended, but I won't go into them in detail.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I prefer Strengthen on a self-only bottom-action Heal and Bless on Heals that are top actions or affect allies, the idea being that the Heal for allies may hit them at a time when they aren't going to be attacking anyway. There's never technically any "wastage" of a Bless. Self-only bottom Heals like Mindthief has are the hot place for Strengthen on the other hand because you more or less get two rounds of Advantage that way.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Range on Perverse Edge, Movement on Scurry.

While I like the idea of strengthen on the move heal, these actually make the most sense to me.

I don't have the cards to check, but if there's a space to upgrade the move 4 with jump bottom row card, putting strengthen on that seems like it would be good too.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

!Klams posted:

Hey, can anyone give me some advice? We're level 4, and just unlocked the thing that lets you put stickers on cards. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with whats a good way to upgrade the Mindthief?

Wound on Cranial Overload :unsmigghh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

!Klams posted:

While I like the idea of strengthen on the move heal, these actually make the most sense to me.

Strengthen or Bless on the move/heal was my next suggestion. It's good, just more expensive than those cheap options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Enhancing the bottom action doesn't increase the cost of enhancing the top action and vice versa, right?