Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I went to a combo UNT football game/World Class Revolution wrassling match, and I'm not sure I understood what I just watched

The headliners were Von Erich's and Iceman, who I guess were a big deal some time ago? Turns out Papa Von Erich has some ties to Denton, TX and played on the football team, which I guess explains a lot. What tier of wrestling is World Class, it it the AA of WWE? How much of the fighting is choreographed and how much of it is "real?" Dudes getting suplexed onto the mat is definitely real.

99% of the time, everything is choreographed, in the sense that everyone in a match has to work together to make it look good while also being safe. Like you said, a suplex is definitely real in that someone is landing on the mat. It takes coordination and strength from both; the person doing it has to be able to lift and balance another person around their size, and the person being lifted has to jump and balance themselves to stay upright, then both have to fall together so everyone safely lands on their back.

Most of the time a match is made up on the fly in the ring, with the wrestlers subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) "calling spots". Meaning whoever is going to do something, they tell the other person so they can prepare to do or take the move. The finish is pretty much always determined ahead of time, as well as a few things during the match like interference, or putting someone through a table.

Back in the older days, there were a lot of guys known for "working stiff" which is basically being less showy with their moves and more "realistic." Terry Funk had the best looking punches in the business, because they were actual punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Was it Iceman King Parson? Oh please let it be Iceman King Parson.

As far as "what's real" ? It's as safe as physics and gravity will allow. Knowing how to take a bump protects most of your body namely your head/brain/skull from the impact but it still has a toll on your body. And even that isn't perfect. Just one wrong bump can end all your fun.

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 2, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I had to check and yeah, World Class Revolution is the group that has Jose Canseco and one of Teen Moms on their 'roster'.

Looks like it's an indie with a money mark (a rich investor who cares more about being involved in wrestling than making a profit) and delusions that having 'celebrities' will make them a mainstream success. I'd say AA baseball might be generous for them. They look to be coasting mostly on getting talent that got exposure with WWE or TNA to work their shows, or old timers. Like, imagine if someone started a baseball team TODAY and Canseco was the anchor of their lineup. That's kind of what this promotion seems to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TheCool69 posted:

Thinking about Asuka and Samoa Joe mentioned earlier.

Has there ever been a "undefeated streak" angle that was not botched in the end.

Maybe Okada?

I still think the end of Asuka's undefeated streak was great.

Everything AFTER that..... eek.

Edit: To be fair, I was also a fan of how Joe's streak was ended by Angle, because I figured it was setup for Joe winning the next two matches so the undefeated streak would be out of the way but now he'd have been established as a world beater by winning a feud against one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. They... did not do that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Aleister Black was undefeated for a while and then when he lost that because of Cole loving around, he properly responded by murdering Cole.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

On one hand, Tatanka's undefeated streak was ended by Ludvig Borga. On the other hand, that loss directly led to a year-long storyline that included the Undertaker's ghost, an evil Undertaker clone, Leslie Neilson, Undertaker delivering pizza, Chuck Norris, Paul Bearer in drag and Undertaker using his magic powers to dress Mr. Fuji in drag.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gavok posted:

On one hand, Tatanka's undefeated streak was ended by Ludvig Borga. On the other hand, that loss directly led to a year-long storyline that included the Undertaker's ghost, an evil Undertaker clone, Leslie Neilson, Undertaker delivering pizza, Chuck Norris, Paul Bearer in drag and Undertaker using his magic powers to dress Mr. Fuji in drag.

WWF mid 90s sounds so much better when you just lay it out like that.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gavok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo1rvx8zRTw

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Matanza's winning streak ending by getting teamed up on by everyone in the lucha underground royal rumble was pretty good, I think. Shame about the person that actually won, though.

Charlotte's ppv streak ending randomly at the C-tier ppv before wrestlemania is actually the one that tilted me the most.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Who has the book for ROH? I hear Delirious getting the blame but someone mentioned that Christopher Daniels was part of the booking committee in ROH yet delirious seems to be getting a lot of blame for ROH's blandness. I'm wondering about this and the ROH/NJPW show in terms of who's getting to book that show.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

Who has the book for ROH? I hear Delirious getting the blame but someone mentioned that Christopher Daniels was part of the booking committee in ROH yet delirious seems to be getting a lot of blame for ROH's blandness. I'm wondering about this and the ROH/NJPW show in terms of who's getting to book that show.

Delirious is the head booker and I believe he also effectively oversees most of the day to day operations on the wrestling (non business) side. Isn't Daniels mostly an agent?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Ox Baker must have killed a lot of people with his fearsome heart punch.
poo poo, I forgot. Baker actually had two guys die during or shortly after wrestling him, and both times they kayfabed that he killed them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Was it Iceman King Parson? Oh please let it be Iceman King Parson.

As far as "what's real" ? It's as safe as physics and gravity will allow. Knowing how to take a bump protects most of your body namely your head/brain/skull from the impact but it still has a toll on your body. And even that isn't perfect. Just one wrong bump can end all your fun.

Yeah, it was was Iceman Parson. Dude looked completely washed, but he's what, 60, or something by now?

I'm guess I'm wondering if wrestlers know for sure when they're gonna get suplex'd, or if they're just winging it following some rough guidelines

Gaz-L posted:

I had to check and yeah, World Class Revolution is the group that has Jose Canseco and one of Teen Moms on their 'roster'.

Looks like it's an indie with a money mark (a rich investor who cares more about being involved in wrestling than making a profit) and delusions that having 'celebrities' will make them a mainstream success. I'd say AA baseball might be generous for them. They look to be coasting mostly on getting talent that got exposure with WWE or TNA to work their shows, or old timers. Like, imagine if someone started a baseball team TODAY and Canseco was the anchor of their lineup. That's kind of what this promotion seems to be.

Ah, bad independent league baseball then. Legacy Von Erich and a retired Iceman, this checks out

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yeah, it was was Iceman Parson. Dude looked completely washed, but he's what, 60, or something by now?

Wow, he must be old. Guy was the Main Event at the first real show I worked on back in 2000. Only two moves happened. Arm wingers and Bear hugs. Then a failed body slam into a pin for the finish. Iceman looked like had run 50 marathons.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006
Who should I really know in this year's BOLA? Walter, Cobb, Bandido, Janella , PCO, Thatcher, Riddle, and Rey seem to be the biggest names. Is there anyone else to really look into?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

only temporary posted:

Who should I really know in this year's BOLA? Walter, Cobb, Bandido, Janella , PCO, Thatcher, Riddle, and Rey seem to be the biggest names. Is there anyone else to really look into?

I don't follow Dragon Gate but Shingo Takagi was excellent in AJPW's Champion Carnival this year. Ilja Dragunov is very good and all the matches from his wXw Unified Championship reign this year are worth looking into. He also has a big match with Pete Dunne coming up at Wembley.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

only temporary posted:

T-Hawk is with CIMA in OWE, the weird China based Dragon Gate offshoot which has lots of Shaolin monks and is kind of fascinating. He has the potential to be a real breakout star of BOLA, not quite an unknown.

Otherwise, it's been over a decade since I last saw Jody Fleisch wrestle so I'm fascinated to see what shape he's in after all these years. And Shingo will be great because Shingo has been great since at least his excursion to ROH in 2006/7.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

SiKboy posted:

Cant give a dead man a life sentence.

Does that mean you can't be accused of the attempted murder of said dead man ? Because the Berzerker totally tried to kill Taker with a sword that one time. Also, Taker tried to kill The Ultimate Warrior by locking him in an airtight coffin.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SiKboy posted:

Cant give a dead man a life sentence.

There was an episode of The Twilight Zone where an immortal guy got a life sentence in jail and he immediately killed himself. Coward, imo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

forkboy84 posted:

Otherwise, it's been over a decade since I last saw Jody Fleisch wrestle so I'm fascinated to see what shape he's in after all these years.

Impact is showing some live "Impact vs the UK" Twitch show next Sunday that has LAX vs Fleisch and Jonny Storm scheduled and I'm unreasonably excited to watch that. Its been a decade since I've seen those two so I'm really curious if my memories of loving them hold up.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Jody Fleish was booked in AIW's JLIT tournament this year, which from what I've gathered was his first time back in the US in years, and he had an amazing match with Andrew Everett. He definitely still has everything he used to.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bad Wolf posted:

Because the Berzerker totally tried to kill Taker with a sword that one time.

Oh I did not.

huss huss huss

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

STAC Goat posted:

Impact is showing some live "Impact vs the UK" Twitch show next Sunday that has LAX vs Fleisch and Jonny Storm scheduled and I'm unreasonably excited to watch that. Its been a decade since I've seen those two so I'm really curious if my memories of loving them hold up.
LAX vs. Fleisch and Storm? Shiiiiiittttt.

(Also I didn't realize Storm had unretired too?)

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Draxion posted:

Jody Fleish was booked in AIW's JLIT tournament this year, which from what I've gathered was his first time back in the US in years, and he had an amazing match with Andrew Everett. He definitely still has everything he used to.

Jody is amazing and he's loving ripped these days to he looks like a million bucks.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Going back to undefeated streaks, Kurt Angle's after he debuted was probably the best one because it was entertaining (like arguing over Tazz's hold at the Royal Rumble) and had him lose to The Rock on Raw to end it.

It wasn't overly dramatic like Goldberg's or anything but it honestly went better than any I can recall.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Angle's undefeated streak was an easy break because Angle didn't need the streak to be credible or over.
He just had so much else going on.
And beyond all that, he was something of a comedy wrestler to start anyway.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
What is the longest face-in-peril segment in a tag match—from the moment where the opponents start to gain the upper hand on the face, then continue by double-teaming & cutting off access to the face's partner(s) until finally, the battered face gets the hot tag on the fresh man?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Roman's "streak" was done pretty well too. His first pin came in an 11-on-3 elimination match where he did a lot of damage, but was eventually taken down by teamwork and overwhelming numbers. His first fair pin loss was in that Wyatt Family match, which was a 3-on-1 situation in its final moments.

The Shield streak ending was great too.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

When did wrestling in the US become a thing that was only marketed to men? It feels similar to comics where way in the past it was for everyone and then at some point an old boys club decided it was only for men. It obviously isn't like that in Japan and it doesn't seem like that in Mexico. What happened here?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

When did wrestling in the US become a thing that was only marketed to men? It feels similar to comics where way in the past it was for everyone and then at some point an old boys club decided it was only for men. It obviously isn't like that in Japan and it doesn't seem like that in Mexico. What happened here?

Vince?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Coaaab posted:

What is the longest face-in-peril segment in a tag match—from the moment where the opponents start to gain the upper hand on the face, then continue by double-teaming & cutting off access to the face's partner(s) until finally, the battered face gets the hot tag on the fresh man?

Sting/Flair versus the Horsemen at Halloween Havoc? That went on and on and on and on. And then Flair gets tagged in and immediately turns on Sting, natch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Mustache Mountain/TUE match also did a very long one with Trent but he never actually made the tag.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

The Attitude Era.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Coaaab posted:

DX vs Legacy in a cage. Felt like hours.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Coaaab posted:

Longest one I can think of is Black and Danielson vs The American Wolves from ROH Tag Title Classic. Tyler Black is in peril for 10 minutes at the start of the match and then Danielson is in peril for another long period after Black goes through a table. There's probably some Rock N Roll Express matches that go even longer but it's the one that comes to mind since most tag matches don't even go 10 minutes.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRafTer posted:

Longest one I can think of is Black and Danielson vs The American Wolves from ROH Tag Title Classic. Tyler Black is in peril for 10 minutes at the start of the match and then Danielson is in peril for another long period after Black goes through a table. There's probably some Rock N Roll Express matches that go even longer but it's the one that comes to mind since most tag matches don't even go 10 minutes.
What prompted my question was me watching a Misawa/Kobashi vs Kawada/Taue match where Kobashi wasn't able to make a legal tag for 20 minutes and was at disadvantage for 17-18 of those minutes; what amazed me was that the match had been going on for a half-hour before that point. So it's just me wanting to gain a little historical perspective on that sort of thing.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's less an old boys club thing and more a toxic fanbase.

See: A constant criticism of John Cena over the years being "Only WOMEN and CHILDREN like him. :smug:". It wasn't until women could be used as an excuse to push a wrestler they liked (Bayley) that said fanbase began to turn around.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What promotions are primed for big leaps in the next 5 years? What promotions are looking at big downswings?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

VJeff posted:

What promotions are primed for big leaps in the next 5 years? What promotions are looking at big downswings?

That's a hard question to answer right now cause the answer could fully change depending on what happens with the Bucks/Cody/Omega contracts. But as of right now I'd say All Japan and CMLL are probably looking for big leaps forward, especially if CMLL decides to grow globally. Downswings will probably be Revolution Pro and wXw as they get starved out thanks to WWE UK.

WWE should be okay unless they cause Friday night local news ratings to crater for local Fox stations. If that happens than they could be in real trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Coaaab posted:

I saw a Rockers-Rougeaus Iron Man match that had a long stretch, but I couldn't give you the number since it was 30 years ago