Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I just pre-ordered La-Mulana 2, feels good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

Didn't see any discussion about it, but Noclip did a documentary on GoG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffngZOB1U2A

When they were showing a shitload of groundbreaking games, I saw a small screen that had Cate Archer, and it made me stop immediately and see if GoG finally acquired the rights to distribute No One Lives Forever but nah.

This was good. I had already read the story behind Gog in some article, but it was interesting hearing them go into more detail on some specific games.

Good to hear they are still working on NOLF too.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
The bit in the documentary about updating all the games to work with Windows 10 made me mad because I tried starting Gabriel Knight 3 last weekend and it didn't work >:(

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kikkoman posted:

The bit in the documentary about updating all the games to work with Windows 10 made me mad because I tried starting Gabriel Knight 3 last weekend and it didn't work >:(

Yeah, they do mention it in the documentary that not all games currently work on W10.
The ones that don't, including GK3, will not mention Windows 10 compatibility on their store page, under "Game Details / Works on". I think this is the only certain way right now to find out if a game on GOG will work with W10.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I bought the trilogy back in 2010-2011, beat the first two and then got scared off from trying the third because of its reputation as the game that killed the adventure game genre.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kikkoman posted:

I bought the trilogy back in 2010-2011, beat the first two and then got scared off from trying the third because of its reputation as the game that killed the adventure game genre.

I remember the review in CGW when it came out that called out the cat hair mustache as one of the most bizarre solutions to a puzzle ever.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kikkoman posted:

Use this patched installer to get around the "Insert Disc 1" glitch if you're having it and download the DGVoodoo2 wrapper in the GK3 file directory to fix the constant crashing. I played through it on Windows 10 earlier in the year with these fixes and it ran fine aside from some crashing in the few FMVs the game has.

GK3 has a lovely first half but the second half is legit real good and worth playing for.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 29, 2018

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not on GOG, but this is sort of the catch-all for legacy games.

I recently found out there's a project that makes Missionforce: Cyberstorm (TBS hex strategy mech game in Sierra's Earthsiege/Starsiege/Tribes universe) run on modern Windows: https://github.com/juanitogan/rbxit/wiki/CyberStorm-1#Installation

Works as advertised!

The game is really an underrated gem, and actually my first introduction to online gaming, through SIGS.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Accordion Man posted:

Use this patched installer to get around the "Insert Disc 1" glitch if you're having it and download the DGVoodoo2 wrapper in the GK3 file directory to fix the constant crashing. I played through it on Windows 10 earlier in the year with these fixes and it ran fine aside from some crashing in the few FMVs the game has.

GK3 has a lovely first half but the second half is legit real good and worth playing for.

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight.

Btw my Gog Galaxy has a whole social side to it but I don't know anybody who has a gog account irl. My handle is KikkomanSA if anybody wants to fill their gog community with SA people.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I haven't got any friends on GOG so feel free to add me. Username is Testekill

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Added both of you. If anyone else wants to be e-buddies, feel free to click and add. Don't forget to greet with "Stairs?" so I know you're super goony.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I sent invites to everyone who posted their handle because I am a lonely man. Qapla on gog.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Added y'all. I've never played MP through Galaxy, but you never know. If nothing else, we can compare achievements!

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Added y'all. I've never played MP through Galaxy, but you never know. If nothing else, we can compare achievements!

It also shows a sorted list of your friends achievement % and time played on the game launch page which is .. useful?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Darthemed, if anyone's looking to bulk up their friends list with a user who never really uses Galaxy.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Huain? I don't really do anything involving multiplayer on GOG.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

doctorfrog on GOG. Adding you folks, though I also do not use Galaxy very much.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I had completely forgotten about the Bard's Tale Trilogy remaster, but it is coming soon to GOG and will be released incrementally over the rest of the calendar year... we hope

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Unavowed is out and it's really good. Go buy it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Well, I bought Surviving Mars from GoG monday before last. It seems this was a mistake, as I can't manually download mods for it from the Steam workshop, nor are Steam mods compatible with the GoG version, or at least that's what the Paradox rep is telling me. And to add insult to injury, I've asked both GoG and Paradox, but neither one will give me a Steam key. GoG is offering to 'refund' me in their store funds, but I'm still going to be out that money.

Last time I buy anything from GoG, I guess. I bought Divinity OS 2 from them as well, a couple days later, and have put 31 hours into it, but mods don't seem quite as essential for it, especially with the definitive edition coming out later this month.

The real irony is that I had :filez: a copy of Surviving Mars to try it out as a 'demo', and I liked it so much that I decided to support the developer and what better way to do it then going through GoG since they had enabled that 'demo' version.

Ugh.

What is so hard about giving me a drat Steam key for the game?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Can't you get mods off the nexus or something? I think I've heard people do that. They should have more than elderscrolls nude&sex mods. Maybe.

I fully agree that not having mod access really blows. So annoying.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Poil posted:

Can't you get mods off the nexus or something? I think I've heard people do that. They should have more than elderscrolls nude&sex mods. Maybe.

I fully agree that not having mod access really blows. So annoying.

The mod(s) that I'm interested in don't have an updated non-Steam version.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ambaire posted:

Last time I buy anything from GoG, I guess.
Honestly all your complaints should only be addressed to Paradox. They're the ones who made a game that can't have compatible mod versions, and they're the only ones who could give you the Steam key you want.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cat Mattress posted:

Honestly all your complaints should only be addressed to Paradox. They're the ones who made a game that can't have compatible mod versions, and they're the only ones who could give you the Steam key you want.

Here's something fun to ponder. I just took advantage of the Steam <2 hour no questions asked refund policy to test that, and I can say that Steam mods work just fine with the GoG version of the game. 100% loving fine. Why would the paradox rep give me false info? ...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Easier to lie maybe?

Some publishers or developers understandably want one dang data warehouse to deal with for updates and mods and need some extra poking to get updates and mod support going. IMO GOG should get ahead of this more since it's similar to the "worse service for legitimate customers" reason why they launched as a DRM-free store in the first place. Having mods locked behind a Steam gateway seems like a parallel thing. As it is, they seem to be getting a bit better about getting oddball games patched. Sometimes.

GOG has an uphill battle when it comes to the lock Steam has with Workshop, as they have no competing service, and user content is pretty important for a lot of games in the GOG catalog. What they basically have right now is a forum system with pinned threads for lists of mods and workarounds. Relive the nineties on the GOG forums, with both the games, and the perplexing searches for funky downloads.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

doctorfrog posted:

Having mods locked behind a Steam gateway seems like a parallel thing.

If they'd just allow manual Steam workshop file downloads, this wouldn't be a problem. I'm going to see if I can annoy the Paradox rep enough to escalate this to a supervisor or someone who can give me a real answer on why that option isn't enabled.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ambaire posted:

If they'd just allow manual Steam workshop file downloads, this wouldn't be a problem. I'm going to see if I can annoy the Paradox rep enough to escalate this to a supervisor or someone who can give me a real answer on why that option isn't enabled.

I don't think Paradox has any control over the Steam Workshop.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Skwirl posted:

I don't think Paradox has any control over the Steam Workshop.

It's a toggle thing that I assume the publisher of the game has control over. Some games allow their Steam workshop items to be manually downloaded with the steamcmd interface, or with http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/. When I try to download a SM mod with that site, it tells me "The game that this item belongs to does not allow downloading of its items...BUMMER!". Some games have that option disabled, and in this case, I only assume it's through ignorance or negligence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ambaire posted:

It's a toggle thing that I assume the publisher of the game has control over. Some games allow their Steam workshop items to be manually downloaded with the steamcmd interface, or with http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/. When I try to download a SM mod with that site, it tells me "The game that this item belongs to does not allow downloading of its items...BUMMER!". Some games have that option disabled, and in this case, I only assume it's through ignorance or negligence.

That's lovely then, I know Paradox is sorta paranoid about piracy, most Crusader Kings mods are only available on their forum and you can only access those pages if you can verify that you legally purchased the game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The only mod for a Paradox game I had trouble (and gave up) trying to find, was the Game of Thrones-mod for CK2. And I just assumed that was some weird fanbase issue.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Metal Fatigue is a good game cause it has giant customizable robots that you can fight other robots with. It's also a bad game cause it was made during a time when pathfinding AI was DOG poo poo.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I liked making flying fire support bots

rimtech especially with the fact that the jump jets are on the foots as opposed to a jetpack (freeing up space for a super duper choked with armor torso) and the most expensive robot arm technology being just a dumbfire single-shot cruise rocket launcher

like a squad of three of those bombarding a skybase to poo poo :discourse:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Motherfuckin' Bard's Tale. :getin:

God, it's nostalgic, especially coming off of a Wasteland playthrough for old time's sake.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is back on GOG apparently, its part ot the Bethesda sale going on right now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I grabbed Call of Cthulhu DCoTE as soon as it went on sale. I really want someday be able to beat it since steam version is busted and needs patching while GOG has all that stuff already in.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm picking up The Saboteur from the sale.

Maybe Homeworld: Emergence too. Been awhile since I played a RTS.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

OhFunny posted:

The Saboteur was very good and I was super satisfied with the purchase. You won't regret it

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I keep thinking Emergence is that new thing they made, on Kharak.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OhFunny posted:

I might well be thinking of some other game, but I thought The Saboteur got pulled from digital stores for a licensing issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It got taken down from Origin for a while, but EA sorted it out.

It's a great little sandbox game, but it sucks that the map goes all wonky at higher resolutions. Did anyone ever find a fix for that?