Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the only other one i can think of off hand is Shatterstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rochallor posted:

30 gay X-Dudes

Would read this team book.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm living in a blissful fantasy land where X-Statix is back, so I'd also say Vivisector, Phat, and even good old Bloke. Oh, and Rictor. I think one of the nobody D-list one-offs that Scott Lobdell introduced at the very end of his run was gay-- some guy with transparent skin? I forgot Anole's erstwhile boyfriend Greymalkin but to be fair I think that was Greymalkin's power.

I think half of the issue is the industry-wide difficulty of introducing new characters that readers embrace enough to have real staying power-- I think writers are eager to write cool new LGBTQIA characters, but once they finish up a run getting the next set of writers to follow through is difficult. Look at how Anole-- who has a fair bit of fan momentum behind him-- fades in and out of visibility.

The other issue is getting past reader resistance in having old, established characters come out. A lot of very ugly takes came out when Iceman came out, for example, and if, for some reason, you find yourself trawling the letter columns of old Alpha Flight issues, you can read similarly reactionary responses to Northstar. Personally I'd love somebody to take up Claremont and Morrison's torch and just have old X-Men coming out left and right, as its always been a mega Foucauldian narrative about a polymorphously perverse heterotopia full of beautiful weirdos with magical bodies, so of course the sexual and social mores of the human order wouldn't hold much sway. Have Cyclops as the token straight mutant, who's always sitting at his computer buying socks off the Land's End website.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

People were upset at just the minorities of the All-New All-Different X-Men, forget their preferred romantic partners. One very early letter absolutely hated almost everybody new and he wanted Colossus and Storm explicitly to get married and go to Russia and never be seen again. Nightcrawler was to die heroically since he could have no secret identity. Banshee was okay, but he should go back to Ireland and only guest star now and then. Wolverine was fine, though. He should stick around with the O5. So no minorities, ugly people, Commie Pinkos and we're shaky on the Irish.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Dawgstar posted:

So no minorities, ugly people, Commie Pinkos and we're shaky on the Irish.

Did you know this line wasn't actually added to the Pledge of Allegiance until the 1950s?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I have no problem with Iceman being gay but the way it was written with all removal of agency on his part and Bendis seemingly putting it at the end of his run so he didn't actually have to deal with the repercussions of it was lazy as hell.

That said Rictor is my waifu

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hope and vaseline posted:

I have no problem with Iceman being gay but the way it was written with all removal of agency on his part and Bendis seemingly putting it at the end of his run so he didn't actually have to deal with the repercussions of it was lazy as hell.

It also didn’t help that Bendis went through effort to make sure you knew he wasn’t bi. Almost like it was just lovely pandering instead of trying to explore a gay X-man.

Luckily they did give Iceman a book to explore it more.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Storm has been so clearly bisexual since the 80s so it wouldn't be a retcon at all to have her come out, and yet no-one ever has. It's really weird.

Also Rachel Grey in the 80s just gave off giant lesbian vibes.

e: actually this page was about queer guy mutants, my bad, sorry. Okay, so I know Wolverine is low-key bi, but maybe show that in the mainstream universe, have his sexual tension with Nightcrawler be canonical, something. As it stands it's just one panel in an AU so it's easy for people to sweep it under the rug, but mainstream Logan making out with dudes would really blow up some heads and has ample canonical support.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

hope and vaseline posted:

I know I've said this before but, it seems like Young Iceman's only defining characteristic is being gay.

I loved Rictor and Shatterstar in X-Factor too. Peter David rocks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Blues posted:

Storm has been so clearly bisexual since the 80s so it wouldn't be a retcon at all to have her come out, and yet no-one ever has. It's really weird.

Also Rachel Grey in the 80s just gave off giant lesbian vibes.

e: actually this page was about queer guy mutants, my bad, sorry. Okay, so I know Wolverine is low-key bi, but maybe show that in the mainstream universe, have his sexual tension with Nightcrawler be canonical, something. As it stands it's just one panel in an AU so it's easy for people to sweep it under the rug, but mainstream Logan making out with dudes would really blow up some heads and has ample canonical support.

what low key bisexuality between Wolverine and Nightcrawler?

Greg Rucka posted:

Also please note the placement of the beer bottle.

I once was at a show where I asked Esad about this cover.

Esad is a big, cheerful, man with a wicked sense of humor.

He just looked at me.

And then he smiled.

And the smile got bigger.

And bigger.

And he said, “And nobody at Marvel noticed!”

And then he couldn’t stop laughing.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The latest Generation X was full of bi/gay storytelling. I don’t remember anything beyond that, including the characters’ names, so they will probably have that same Anole problem.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Beerdeer posted:

The latest Generation X was full of bi/gay storytelling. I don’t remember anything beyond that, including the characters’ names, so they will probably have that same Anole problem.

Bling! is a lesbian, I think, like two of the new dudes dated (one of them also dated Quire I think, but that might have just been Quire trying to get those two to hook up in his jerk way, Quire's own preferences were left ambiguous I think).

Also Prodigy is bi, I believe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cabbit posted:

Also Prodigy is bi, I believe.

The only person I recall him dating is Surge.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

The only person I recall him dating is Surge.

In Young Avengers he came out as bi.

Everyone on Young Avengers was bisexual or gay. Though Kate might be attracted to America Chavez.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Codependent Poster posted:

In Young Avengers he came out as bi.

Everyone on Young Avengers was bisexual or gay. Though Kate might be attracted to America Chavez.

I ship it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

rantmo posted:

I ship it.

Yea thst was pretty awesome. Should just get Kate Leth back to do a x book so she can make everyone queer. Hellcat did that really well, and she has said she's part of the CN agenda to make everything "hella gay"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
America and Kate are both in West Coast Avengers at the moment. Kate's boyfriend is also in it, but I don't think Kelly Thompson is a queer adverse writer. I predict at least something on level of Claremont writing Kutty and Magick, or Kitty and Phoenix (Rachel).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rantmo posted:

I ship it.

That's very rude of America to out Kate like that.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I like that Thompson has consistently kept the chemistry between the two even if it's not been explicitly romantic/sexual. If it's something Thompson doesn't want to pursue (and I've never seen anything from her regarding that), I buy their relationship as evolving out of that moment into the closeness they have now. It's still there to be picked up later if someone wanted to.

Also more Kath Lethe queering up Marvel please. X-books need more gay.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kate's new boyfriend seems pretty cool so they can just keep flirting for now.

Anyway, back to the X-Men. Have they followed up on that "Set it Right" Cyclops teaser from a while back?

https://www.newsarama.com/40814-cyclops-to-set-it-right-in-extermination.html

I guess that could be young Nate holding the visor. Maybe he's doing what he's doing in Extermination to bring old Scott back?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Extermination's entire conceit is to get rid of the Original Five, so it'll probably also bring back Real Scott.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

they're both real fictional people

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of them is more realer than the other.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

they're both real fictional people

:thunk:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't know if anybody is actually still reading New Mutants-Dead Souls, but it wrapped up this week on a major cliffhanger. After being really iffy on the first couple of issues I ended up really enjoying it. The art is great--Illyana especially--and Rosenberg has a good handle on the voice of the characters.

It also approaches doing one of my fantasy pitches for X-Men--moving Karma into an antagonist role basically by her making hundreds of little compromising decisions as the head of an enormous company, and having all her friends thinking she's just possessed for the nth time instead of doing it of her own volition.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

I don't know if anybody is actually still reading New Mutants-Dead Souls, but it wrapped up this week on a major cliffhanger. After being really iffy on the first couple of issues I ended up really enjoying it. The art is great--Illyana especially--and Rosenberg has a good handle on the voice of the characters.

It also approaches doing one of my fantasy pitches for X-Men--moving Karma into an antagonist role basically by her making hundreds of little compromising decisions as the head of an enormous company, and having all her friends thinking she's just possessed for the nth time instead of doing it of her own volition.

Yeah, I liked it, too. The only downside is the cliffhanger, because I'm not sure we're getting a follow up.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I liked it, too. The only downside is the cliffhanger, because I'm not sure we're getting a follow up.

I assume it'll be dealt with in Uncanny since Rosenberg's one of the architects of that now. As least I hope because otherwise that's a lot of characters left in limbo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How is Illyana in it? Did she get her bangs back?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

How is Illyana in it? Did she get her bangs back?

Indeed so. She's a lot... nicer than in recent incarnations? Honestly if she joked around more she'd be a lot like her, well, New Mutants incarnation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dawgstar posted:

Indeed so. She's a lot... nicer than in recent incarnations? Honestly if she joked around more she'd be a lot like her, well, New Mutants incarnation.

I'll have to grab it when its it trade. Its funny, that version of Illyana showed up sometimes in Bendis's run. It was weird.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

twistedmentat posted:

I'll have to grab it when its it trade. Its funny, that version of Illyana showed up sometimes in Bendis's run. It was weird.

She's definitely as good as this as she's been since she came back from the dead, yeah. I honestly can't even remember what Illyana's deal is right now. When she first came back she was just the Darkchilde with no soul, then she got her soul back but lost it again? Whatever the case is, here she's portrayed as somewhat aloof but clearly human struggling with the corruption inside of her.

The only real memorable moment of the past several years I can think of is her revealing to Piotr that she pushed him to become the Juggernaut so that he would learn what it's like to deal with a dark force within. Which is a wonderfully dark moment exactly halfway between human and demon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look the important thing is that the bangs are back

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Synthbuttrange posted:

Look the important thing is that the bangs are back

My friend too me to a strip club for my birthday and one of the dancers was a Russian woman with exact Illyana hair. :stare:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

My friend too me to a strip club for my birthday and one of the dancers was a Russian woman with exact Illyana hair. :stare:

imma level with you man

every russian woman has illyana's hair and every russian man has piotr's hair

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One can certainly imagine Claremont doing exhaustive research in that particular field.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I read Extinction 1 and 2 today and they're uh, not great.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah it comes across as rushed and forced.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well mostly Kid Cable is dumb and doesn't work for me at all.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 3, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I actually have enjoyed it. Especially what Rhyno mentions above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stupid spoiler typo. Sorry everyone who hadn't gotten to that yet.