Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OctoberCountry posted:

Exactly, the First Order blow up that city planet that's the seat of government for the Republic with their super death star.

You're thinking of Hosnian Prime. Coruscant isn't the capital of the New Republic, at least not at that point. (The New Republic moved the capital every few years.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is Hosnian Prime the new seat of the government? I thought the point was Starkiller Base blew up the Senate and their fleets

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is Hosnian Prime the new seat of the government? I thought the point was Starkiller Base blew up the Senate and their fleets

Correct. Hosnian Prime was the current capital of the New Republic (hence why the NR fleet was stationed there)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

jivjov posted:

You're thinking of Hosnian Prime. Coruscant isn't the capital of the New Republic, at least not at that point. (The New Republic moved the capital every few years.)

So it's an Edo/Tokyo situation?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tatooine is not just Jakku, it is also Ach-To

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Hosnian Prime (Not Coruscant)" is a popular hit single in the Star Wars galaxy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So it's an Edo/Tokyo situation?

The specific reasoning was to keep any one planet from being too "central" to the New Republic. They didn't want a situation like Coruscant, where it was the most important simply by virtue of the entire government apparatus being there.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

God forbid the planet with the most people have the most power in a supposed democracy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think population density was a specific concern.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So every few years they build the infrastructure to support a galactic government—something that seems to require a planet-sized city—and then abandon it and start the process all over again on a different planet.

Guess that explains why nobody has any resources to spare for the Resistance.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

I guess don't remember General Hugs mentioning that in his speech.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sir Kodiak posted:

So every few years they build the infrastructure to support a galactic government—something that seems to require a planet-sized city—and then abandon it and start the process all over again on a different planet.

Guess that explains why nobody has any resources to spare for the Resistance.

An ecunopolis isn't a requirement. The first capital was Chandrila

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OctoberCountry posted:

I guess don't remember General Hugs mentioning that in his speech.

Hux just says they're blowing up the capital, but it's specifically called out later that it was the Hosnian system that was destroyed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Actually, it was Corusant

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

multijoe posted:

Actually, it was Corusant

No it wasn't. It's specifically the Hosnian system that gets destroyed. Not Coruscant.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yes it was

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It doesn't really matter because most people will know from the previous movies that Coruscant was the capital planet and they'll just assume it was the one the First Order blew up with their Death Star anyway.

They never say the planet is called "Hosnian" to my recollection - they talk about "the Hosnian system" which could quite easily be the solar system that Coruscant is in if you aren't too bothered about tie-in novels (and honestly, why should you be?).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

multijoe posted:

Yes it was

Cite your source then. Every canonical source I've found says it's Hosnian Prime (and the rest of the system) not Coruscant.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

It doesn't really matter because most people will know from the previous movies that Coruscant was the capital planet and they'll just assume it was the one the First Order blew up with their Death Star anyway.

So? A pair of faulty assumptions doesn't suddenly make the facts change. Starkiller Base destroyed the Hosnian System. If people are too bad at watching movies to catch EXPLICIT DIALOG that establishes this, that's not the movie's fault

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

jivjov posted:

Cite your source then. Every canonical source I've found says it's Hosnian Prime (and the rest of the system) not Coruscant.

I see the words you're typing but they don't make any sense

Deathstar Killer blew up Corusant

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

multijoe posted:

I see the words you're typing but they don't make any sense

Deathstar Killer blew up Corusant

When? The only time we ever see Starkiller fire, it destroyed the Hosnian system. When did it blow up Coruscant?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It was right there in the movie, you must have been looking away the 86 times you watched it

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

jivjov posted:

That map is a canonical source. It is just as relevant to the films as the films themselves

Maybe educate yourself a TINY bit on how the star wars continuity works? Then you won't look like a huge dumbass every single time you post.

Not only does the map not appear in the movies, but it actually contradicts maps we DO see in the movies, such as the holographic maps projected in the prequel and sequel trilogies. You have never answered this point.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Wait Coruscant's not in the Hosnian system?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ferrinus posted:

Not only does the map not appear in the movies, but it actually contradicts maps we DO see in the movies, such as the holographic maps projected in the prequel and sequel trilogies. You have never answered this point.

My dude, there can be multiple maps of the same galaxy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OctoberCountry posted:

Wait Coruscant's not in the Hosnian system?

Nope. Coruscant is in the Coruscant system

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So it's just another case of a place having multiple names?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So it's just another case of a place having multiple names?

They are separate planets.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

jivjov posted:

My dude, there can be multiple maps of the same galaxy.

But the one you like doesn’t resemble any of the ones we see in the movies. SMG made a detailed post about this pages ago and you were unable to respond to it coherently.

Perhaps you’d like to show us an actual existing correspondence between your map and the ones we see in the folms?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ferrinus posted:

But the one you like doesn’t resemble any of the ones we see in the movies. SMG made a detailed post about this pages ago and you were unable to respond to it coherently.

Perhaps you’d like to show us an actual existing correspondence between your map and the ones we see in the folms?

I don't think the ones we see in the films have nice labels; that's why I've been sticking with the one that does.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

So? A pair of faulty assumptions doesn't suddenly make the facts change. Starkiller Base destroyed the Hosnian System. If people are too bad at watching movies to catch EXPLICIT DIALOG that establishes this, that's not the movie's fault

A solar system and a planet are two different things - one could easily be forgiven for drawing conclusions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

A solar system and a planet are two different things - one could easily be forgiven for drawing conclusions.

Good thing there's definitive sources that can clear up erroneous conclusions

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Good thing there's definitive sources that can clear up erroneous conclusions

People shouldn't be expected to seek them out and more to the point shouldn't be compelled to pay for some tie-in book just so they can understand something that happens in a movie they've already paid for.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

People shouldn't be expected to seek them out and more to the point shouldn't be compelled to pay for some tie-in book just so they can understand something that happens in a movie they've already paid for.

That map was not in a book, it was posted, free of charge, on the Star Wars website.

And it doesn't even require the map. Just LISTEN TO THE WORDS BEING SAID IN THE MOVIE, and you'll already know that it was the Hosnian System that was destroyed.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

I don't think the ones we see in the films have nice labels; that's why I've been sticking with the one that does.

Yeah but characters talk about what the various maps show and where places on them are. For instance we can use the prequels to compare Coruscant’s position with Kamino’s and the galactic core’s.

There’s no clear resemblance between your map and the galaxy maps in the ST. This is beside the point of the amusing error with the red line that SMG found:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jivjov posted:

That map was not in a book, it was posted, free of charge, on the Star Wars website.

And it doesn't even require the map. Just LISTEN TO THE WORDS BEING SAID IN THE MOVIE, and you'll already know that it was the Hosnian System that was destroyed.

THE Star Wars website? Singular?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

THE Star Wars website? Singular?

The official one. https://www.starwars.com

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Ferrinus posted:

This is beside the point of the amusing error with the red line that SMG found:

The red line 'mistake' is actually easy to explain and maybe even adds a little I dunno characterisation or whatever. Since Coruscant had been blown up and their finances hugely depleted they had simply asked the nav computer (an eternally trapped sentient being) to recalculate the route avoiding toll routes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It is really funny Jivjov will never be able to explain the inconsistency of an authentic in-universe Star Wars galaxy map and will eternally have to refer people to some tat he found on a website instead