Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think that's the one place I want untranslated stuff too, gotta put those tl notes down to say 2hat the sound is even if it makes the margins busy.

I wont back down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I agree, it's universally foul. Old Tokyopop stuff was the worst about it. I tried to read my old copies of GTO recently and they're just square cut/pastes of the English SFX equivalent over the Japanese.

I sometimes don't mind the stuff where they'll sort of match the script style and put the English equivalent inside or just below the Japanese? So if the SFX is black sometimes within or just below it there's a black-with-white-border English "reference" so-to-speak?

I wanna know if there's a Japanese version of that Frank Quitely Batman panel where the explosions spell out BOOM or BWKSSSS or whatever.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Muratas one punch art has sfx that are physical presences in the world and cast their own shadow on the environment.

That counts I think.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
It's still hosed up though because like great, now I know the floating hiragana say "zawa zawa" but I don't know what it means so I guess you kind just have to do a TL note with a lot of that stuff.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Sharkopath posted:

Muratas one punch art has sfx that are physical presences in the world and cast their own shadow on the environment.

That counts I think.

I need to get around to reading it. I really like the anime and Murata is extremely good at drawing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Paper Triangle posted:

It's still hosed up though because like great, now I know the floating hiragana say "zawa zawa" but I don't know what it means so I guess you kind just have to do a TL note with a lot of that stuff.

The sounds a lot of time are cultural onomatopoeia, don instead of boom, but theres specific styles like menaciiiing that's more of an environmental aura that comics in english dont really have an equivalent too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Like a comic version of the string section kicking up in a horror movie.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if i had to read a jojo panel with GO GO GO GO GO GO written in the bg, id be pissed

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
as someone in the field of English, I'd honestly like to try my hand at editing/proofing scans. My Japanese is extremely sub-optimal for translation work, but I'd like to work with translators on how this sentence sounds best in English cause i love em, but i swear some fanlators know japanese better than they know english

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I don't feel bad about replacing these with English equivalents but yeah, it's going to vary

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Former nano.ripe member Yūki Aoyama has passed away :(

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-09-03/former-nano.ripe-member-yuki-aoyama-passes-away-at-29/.136276

:rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjmg_2FTz6A

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://my.mixtape.moe/bdaezy.webm

The Hakkenden is cool

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

There's been a minor controversy in the Touhou fan community

And to think only a few years ago all Futo's dialogue was going to be translated into iambic pentameter.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

as someone in the field of English, I'd honestly like to try my hand at editing/proofing scans. My Japanese is extremely sub-optimal for translation work, but I'd like to work with translators on how this sentence sounds best in English cause i love em, but i swear some fanlators know japanese better than they know english

I'm sure more than half the time they're native English speakers but in the name of "faithfulness" they carry over aspects of Japanese into English that just makes everything flow weird.

One of my favorites is people referring to themselves or their conversation partners in third person, a thing that makes perfect sense in Japanese but makes you sound like a complete tool in English.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

All i know is please don't do this:

for 20 pages at the end of your giant omnibus volumes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

definitely do that

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Gooo Gooo - Gwhoooh Gwhoooh

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

a kitten posted:

Still incredibly better than redrawing the fx.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm sure more than half the time they're native English speakers but in the name of "faithfulness" they carry over aspects of Japanese into English that just makes everything flow weird.

One of my favorites is people referring to themselves or their conversation partners in third person, a thing that makes perfect sense in Japanese but makes you sound like a complete tool in English.
Oh sorry, I didn't mean to say that they didn't know English well or that it wasn't their first language, but yeah more that they respect and care about Japanese more than the language they're trying to translate it into.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 3, 2018

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Yeah that's the best way to do it, I think.

The endnotes, I mean.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

Redrawing sfx is a great translation sin and should be punished, that's part of the art.

100% agree

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
also agree it would be good for more tl groups to recruit an editor with some writing experience if possible to take the translation and rework it into something that actually flows naturally in english

sometimes i find myself mentally doing that while reading because whatever is in the word bubble might be accurate (????) but just does not parse like a real sentence a person would say

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the dark secret is that i am a touhou manga editor despite not being a native english speaker

or really just a proofreader but still

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

wheres the sexy manager from

https://mangadex.org/title/30159/imadoki-no-wakaimon-wa

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

a kitten posted:

These endnotes should be footnotes so I don't have to flip back and forth but other than that it's a great idea

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I wish I wasn't at my parents house so I could watch anime or clean my apartment or something. It feels like I'm wasting time here

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

VostokProgram posted:

I wish I wasn't at my parents house so I could watch anime or clean my apartment or something. It feels like I'm wasting time here

I know the feeling. Perhaps you can leave early, let them know you've got plans for the evening?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

no kid of mine will watch anime under my roof

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

these are getting a bit too saucy now

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

these are getting a bit too saucy now

And yet I think not nearly saucy enough.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I feel like 90% of the time the sound effects are completely superfluous to anyone's understanding of what is happening in-panel, and the 10% of the time where they're actually important, you can just put in footnotes where needed, instead of redrawing them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Her right arm is... yeah :gonk:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It’s fine

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
another sexy pic ruined by the weird magic amputation meme just draw half an inch of pants smh

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

or just admit you have that stuck in a wall fetish

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

another sexy pic ruined by the weird magic amputation meme just draw half an inch of pants smh

sometimes that's a bit weird too like when they draw the skirt but not a bit of legs

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

a cartoon duck posted:

There's been a minor controversy in the Touhou fan community over the translation of the latest game, in which a teenage girl takes pictures of her nightmares to post on facebook and twitter for likes and shares, complete with hashtags and all. One hashtag was translated as #doggopic because the translators figured this most closely captures the spirit of an extremely online girl chasing e-fame, but apparently that got some people mad because doggo is a memey internet word or something? So they went and made their own more "literal" translations where they just go with #wanwanpic, because nothing is more literal than not translating at all.

Weebs demanding literal translations are weird.
I once had to drop off of a project because the translator refused to accept any changes to the wording to make it more readable, as in, it was English words with Japanese sentence construction and grammar and it sounded really really really bad. Like, every character sounded like Yoda.

Expect My Mom posted:

Proofreaders are indeed a thing.
Man, I should finish the Scanlation thread.

a cartoon duck posted:

It's the wooooorst. And yeah, it does seem to be a dumbo weeb most of the time, huh.

a cartoon duck posted:

the dark secret is that i am a touhou manga editor despite not being a native english speaker

or really just a proofreader but still
We have to call ourselves "script editors" to the crazy tls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

or just admit you have that stuck in a wall fetish

https://mangadex.org/title/20351/kabe-ni-mary-com