Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basebf555 posted:

Depends on what you value in a release though. Because even if there isn't a new transfer available, a Criterion release is typically superior to any other previous release of the film just based on extras and in many cases packaging.

For sure, and I'm probably in the minority as someone who doesn't care much for extra content. Though unless Criterion somehow convinces PTA to come out of his shell and do another audio commentary, I don't know what extras they could really add to a release of Magnolia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

You just, but...

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/19699/CTC1000L/I-Love-Lucy

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Oh and Punch-Drunk Love is so underrated and I lost my poo poo when it was finally announced on Blu, let alone Criterion. It saddens me that Sandler recoiled away from that. I mean, he has some real dramatic stinkers but PDL and parts of Click and The Wedding Singer shows he’s got chops.

Have you seen The Meyerowitz Stories? It's good and he's great in it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Unmature posted:

Have you seen The Meyerowitz Stories? It's good and he's great in it.

Was that Baumbach's latest? Wanted to see it but it had weird distribution.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Was that Baumbach's latest? Wanted to see it but it had weird distribution.

It was released by Netflix so it went straight to Netflix.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cloks posted:

It was released by Netflix so it went straight to Netflix.

:sigh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s real good and yeah just Netflix that poo poo. Although I also got to see it on the big screen last year as part of the London Film Fest which was neat.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Rented Heaven's Gate from an amazing video store I just learned of in Pasadena. Haven't watched it yet, but was just reading about it and I had no idea it was once considered one of the worst movies ever and has so many controversies surrounding it.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Unmature posted:

Rented Heaven's Gate from an amazing video store I just learned of in Pasadena. Haven't watched it yet, but was just reading about it and I had no idea it was once considered one of the worst movies ever and has so many controversies surrounding it.

It's an incredible film and contains some of the most beautiful shots I've ever seen. Hatred for it has not aged well whatsoever.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

criterions have thoughtfully designed menus which I look forward to seeing

They don't seem very complex but for some reason my blu-ray player take aaaages to load Criterion discs. Anyone else experience this?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Unmature posted:

Videotheque in South Pasadena? Or is this Pasadena, TX you're talking about?

But yeah, Heaven's Gate is a good movie, beautifully shot by Vilmos Zsigmond, who I got to meet right before he passed. I got to fanboy over him and tell him how much I admired his work and how he's the cinematographer who I most strive to become. I think the only crime nowadays that Heaven's Gate is guilty of is being really long. It's nearly four hours and it's really the type of movie you need to use the intermission for just to get a break and to think about what you just saw.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 31, 2018

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yup Videotheque! Been twice so far and spent like an hour there both times.

Yeah I didn't realize it was so long. Gonna take a couple sittings to watch it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Heaven’s Gate suffers from an absolutely awful script, but it really is astonishingly good-looking.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Bad sleep well?

That or Rocko's Modern Life.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Apparently it's To Sleep with Anger.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Oh I get it, that thing is supposed to be the Anger character from Inside Out.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

probably, but I'm holding out hope for Rock n Roll Nightmare

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Spatulater bro! posted:

That's goddamn awesome, I need to watch more Burnett.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

:waycool:

I've been looking for that one for a long time and thought I'd eventually have to watch it on VHS. I don't think it's ever gotten a proper DVD release anywhere.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Sweet! Pixar is coming to Criterion! Too bad I already own Inside Out on bluray. :downs:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mother, May I sleep With Anger?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

Bad sleep well?

I have good news.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Heads up, TCM are doing a 40% off sale on Criterions and you can get an extra 15% off with the "LABORDAY18" promo code.

https://shop.tcm.com/tcm-studio-shop-criterion-collection/b140446

Many of them are on back order, but there are still a lot of good ones available if anyone's interested.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I was thinking maybe a blu ray release.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Heaven's Gate is gorgeous but reeeaaally boring. I kinda regret renting and spending three nights watching it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You only watched about an hour a night?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

You only watched about an hour a night?

People can't be busy? It's almost 4 hours long and it's boring.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Unmature posted:

Yet you didn't quit after the third night or so

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Unmature posted:

I didn't mean it as an accusation. I just wondered if splitting the film up like that may have contributed to your negative experience, since Heaven's Gate builds its atmosphere very slowly, and it's probably rather jarring to essentially start from scratch each night.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

I didn't mean it as an accusation. I just wondered if splitting the film up like that may have contributed to your negative experience, since Heaven's Gate builds its atmosphere very slowly, and it's probably rather jarring to essentially start from scratch each night.

If I were a goldfish, maybe. But I'm like an adult human being with an adult brain. I can remember what I saw 24 hours ago.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Heaven's Gate is like if you took all the principles of Tati's Playtime and applied it to a western instead of a comedy.

It's a failure, but I found it fascinating from start to finish.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Unmature posted:

If I were a goldfish, maybe. But I'm like an adult human being with an adult brain. I can remember what I saw 24 hours ago.

I'm not talking about memory, but about the emotional reaction. Think of the works of Tarkovsky or Dreyer, which aren't designed to immediately hook the viewer. Instead, they slowly establish mood and setting until, at some point, everything clicks, and you find yourself completely immersed in the world they create. Taking an extended break during those films absolutely harms their tremendous power over the viewer.

I'm not saying Cimino is as great as these two directors, just that Heaven's Gate operates on the same basic principle.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My wife never gets why I dislike breaking movies up over multiple nights. "We'll remember what was going on" is her argument. I may remember the plot points, but I'll have had 24 hours to become entirely disengaged from the emotional response I was experiencing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm not talking about memory, but about the emotional reaction. Think of the works of Tarkovsky or Dreyer, which aren't designed to immediately hook the viewer. Instead, they slowly establish mood and setting until, at some point, everything clicks, and you find yourself completely immersed in the world they create. Taking an extended break during those films absolutely harms their tremendous power over the viewer.

I'm not saying Cimino is as great as these two directors, just that Heaven's Gate operates on the same basic principle.

I completely agree with this.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I do except that a lot of Dreyer hooks me from the first close up

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Heaven's Gate never quite reaches the kind of Tarkovskian meditative space where it really earns its pace- the story's just too thin to support the sheer weight of everything piled on the screen. It's the sort of thing Howard Hawks could handle in at most 100 minutes. You've got the helpless townsfolk on one side, the brutal killers on another, the latter are coming in on the train any minute now, bam. There isn't enough moral complexity or character depth to really justify dragging this out to three hours.

Also, while the Deer Hunter feels really raw and visceral and lively even when it's just some drunk people at a wedding, Heaven's Gate feels a lot more staged throughout- it may just be the period influence, but everything's pageantry and full of stiff formalities and Cimino just can't quite bridge that hundred year gap.

You kinda wish that Cimino had just made The Johnson County War, the more straightforward violent Western hinted at in Final Cut, before UA got the idea that this could be the next Godfather.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Tarkovsky does nothing for me. Every one I've watched of his, I haven't liked (though I've of course appreciated certain aspects). Heaven's Gate I find riveting. I also find Jeanne Dielman riveting, I also find Once Upon a Time in America riveting, I also find Margaret riveting. There's no accounting for what extra long film someone will find riveting or not. But, I'd say a good general rule would be to go into whatever it is with an open and respectful mind. If you sit down to Heaven's Gate looking for why it was so hated, you'll zone in on its weird aspects and confirmation bias will interpret them for you as reasons why it's bad. But, 'weird' doesn't necessarily mean 'bad'. Weird can mean good and just not everyone's cup of tea. Heaven's Gate is not a film for everyone, but for those it's for, it's phenomenal—and even those that hate it I think can admit that it contains some of the most breathtakingly gorgeous shots in all of cinema.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

codyclarke posted:

Tarkovsky does nothing for me. Every one I've watched of his, I haven't liked (though I've of course appreciated certain aspects). Heaven's Gate I find riveting. I also find Jeanne Dielman riveting, I also find Once Upon a Time in America riveting, I also find Margaret riveting. There's no accounting for what extra long film someone will find riveting or not. But, I'd say a good general rule would be to go into whatever it is with an open and respectful mind. If you sit down to Heaven's Gate looking for why it was so hated, you'll zone in on its weird aspects and confirmation bias will interpret them for you as reasons why it's bad. But, 'weird' doesn't necessarily mean 'bad'. Weird can mean good and just not everyone's cup of tea. Heaven's Gate is not a film for everyone, but for those it's for, it's phenomenal—and even those that hate it I think can admit that it contains some of the most breathtakingly gorgeous shots in all of cinema.

I love Tarkovsky but I totally understand that he's an acquired tasted. That being said, Andrei Rublev and Solaris (both for different reasons) are a cut above almost all other cinema, especially Rublev, which to me is the best monochrome theater experience ever assembled. There isn't another film on this planet that does a better job distilling the concept of the artist's struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

DeimosRising posted:

I do except that a lot of Dreyer hooks me from the first close up

You're a more open viewer than I am. Ordet is one of my favourite films, but every time I rewatch it, it takes me about half an hour before I manage to adjust to its idiosyncratic style.

codyclarke posted:

Tarkovsky does nothing for me. Every one I've watched of his, I haven't liked (though I've of course appreciated certain aspects).

Out of curiosity, which ones have you seen? There are definitely films by Tarkovsky which I find more laborious to watch than others.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 4, 2018