Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Reik posted:

Enhancing the bottom action doesn't increase the cost of enhancing the top action and vice versa, right?

Correct, an action is the half of the card, and the extra cost is stated that it applies to a previously enhanced action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Reik posted:

Enhancing the bottom action doesn't increase the cost of enhancing the top action and vice versa, right?

Correct; but they do count as the same card for the purposes of how many cards in your deck are enhanced.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Miftan posted:

Wound on Cranial Overload :unsmigghh:

...curse?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

!Klams posted:

...curse?

Also good, but depends on your team comp.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
What's a good bottom move to enhance with Strengthen for Cthulhuface? Also I'm assuming that's a solid plan.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Can you add Strengthen to a move? I thought all you could do was add Jump or +1?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

Correct; but they do count as the same card for the purposes of how many cards in your deck are enhanced.

So my buddy has the retirement goal 4 enhancements . So at prosperity 3 he can have 2 enhancements on the same card and 2 enhancements on 2 different cards, right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Selecta84 posted:

So my buddy has the retirement goal 4 enhancements . So at prosperity 3 he can have 2 enhancements on the same card and 2 enhancements on 2 different cards, right?

Yep.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Thanks

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Reik posted:

Can you add Strengthen to a move? I thought all you could do was add Jump or +1?

Correct. You can only put Strengthen/Bless on things which have a target, i.e. shield, bless, strengthen, heal, retaliate.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
If you can consume an element to make an attack and gain xp, but you don't make the attack, can you still take the xp?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LongDarkNight posted:

What's a good bottom move to enhance with Strengthen for Cthulhuface? Also I'm assuming that's a solid plan.

You can enhance Winged Congregation's heal (with Strengthen or Bless) but that's for your party rather than yourself.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

thespaceinvader posted:

Correct. You can only put Strengthen/Bless on things which have a target, i.e. shield, bless, strengthen, heal, retaliate.

Balls! Guess it's Eagle Eye Goggles.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

!Klams posted:

If you can consume an element to make an attack and gain xp, but you don't make the attack, can you still take the xp?

No because consuming the element is a modification of the attack. I think you can still make area attacks even without a specific target but I think you might still need to make an attack to consume the element. The area attack with no targets is really only important for things like that cragheart move that heals allies and hit enemies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, help me understand enhancing costs for Trample.

If I want to add +1 move to Trample, does that cost 30 or 60?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I think that it's 60 because it has the ability to affect multiple targets.

Also don't enhance the move on trample, just use boots of striding, which you should already have on a brute to do 6 point balanced measure tops.

Enhancing loss cards is such low value!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If there are two scenarios that are mutually exclusive and you want to play both of them without playing in casual mode, then you would just need to start a second party, correct? This party would have to start at scenario 1 like your first party and progress through the campaign?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Or just... Play them.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I know you need to do multiple parties to run through all the content, I just wasn't sure where the divide between multiple parties and multiple campaigns was.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The main factor would be whether the prerequisite is a party achievement or a campaign/world achievement.

For my group, we're going to run the campaign through to the end once, then go back and play through anything we missed in campaign mode.

No, it's not rules as written, but replaying through the entire campaign just to get to locked scenarios the "proper" way doesn't seem to be the best use of our time.

(Yes, playing the game is fun, but my group only gets together for GH a couple of times per month, so we like to see new things if they're available. Same reason we play on normal difficulty, even though we win most scenarios on our first try.)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Parties exist within the same campaign so any scenarios that are blocked by global achievements are blocked for all parties. I don't think there are any party achievements that block scenarios, only ones that act as requirements.

If you've cleared the campaign I say go nuts. We've hit a point where we have no unlocked scenarios so we are just going through and doing everything we missed whether it be side scenario, blocked, or just never hit the right event to open it.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
So if you wanted to try and play through "legit" just to get the excluded scenarios you'd have to start over with no content unlocked as if you just opened the box? Seems a bit much.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Scenario order question

We just got the Drake's Treasure but had already sealed the voice away. We have not unlocked scenario 40 even though that's the recommended path after getting the treasure and it looks like we're locked out of it because we didn't help the voice. Is our only option to kill the Drake now?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Reik posted:

So if you wanted to try and play through "legit" just to get the excluded scenarios you'd have to start over with no content unlocked as if you just opened the box? Seems a bit much.

It's kind of intended that you won't see all the content in campaign mode. It's to give the feeling of consequence to your choices and that of a living world.

Casual mode exists specifically to enable you to play any scenario you want "legit" because you can swap back and forth between casual and campaign. Casual mode gets you all the XP, money, treasure tiles, and retirement progress, but no end-of-scenario rewards, achievements, or unlocks. Additionally, casual mode (and random dungeons) don't allow you to pull road or city events.

Once again that's total crap because we have like 70% of the retirement/unlock events still to see because every time we add an event we always hit the persistent events (where both choices put it on the bottom). We do events anytime we play because it's fun. Do what's fun.

I think the best course of action is to play through the full campaign as close to RAW as your group enjoys, and once you clear the final campaign scenario just play how you want. You beat it, you're in the postgame, have fun, see what you missed, play every scenario, find all the events.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Miftan posted:

Scenario order question

We just got the Drake's Treasure but had already sealed the voice away. We have not unlocked scenario 40 even though that's the recommended path after getting the treasure and it looks like we're locked out of it because we didn't help the voice. Is our only option to kill the Drake now?

Just collecting the treasure is what locks you out of the Drake killing AFAIK. We've been locked out but we've not decided what to do about the Voice yet, mostly because one of our party really wants to let it out lol

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
With an area ranged attack, does at least one target have to be within range, or just one of the targeted hexes? Like, can I hit only two people 4 hexes away with an Ink Bomb because the third hex is within range 3?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
You only need to have one space in range.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Man. My two minis guy hits like a truck, 10-15 damage most turns but I am incredibly bored of it since the class plays itself. But my retirement goal is never turning up, it's do 2 swamp quests, so far we've only run into one. How the heck do I get to the drat swamp again .

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.
Drake & Voice stuff

thespaceinvader posted:

Just collecting the treasure is what locks you out of the Drake killing AFAIK. We've been locked out but we've not decided what to do about the Voice yet, mostly because one of our party really wants to let it out lol

Actually it's clarified in the faq, that getting Drake's command and treasure doesn't automatically lock you from killing the Drake.

quote:

Also, it is optional to add the cards to the event decks and earn the achievement, but once it is done, it is permanent.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

mila kunis posted:

Man. My two minis guy hits like a truck, 10-15 damage most turns but I am incredibly bored of it since the class plays itself. But my retirement goal is never turning up, it's do 2 swamp quests, so far we've only run into one. How the heck do I get to the drat swamp again .

Casual Mode, it's really easy to lock out of swamp scenarios.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

mila kunis posted:

But my retirement goal is never turning up, it's do 2 swamp quests, so far we've only run into one. How the heck do I get to the drat swamp again .

The two "easy" ones to find are from 19 (from 5) and 32 (somewhere in the Voice questline). There are a few other late-game ones down a questline you might not do. Otherwise you are at the mercy of luck.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm not sure I can word this for it to make sense but there's a quest named Outer Ritual Circle that requires Dark Bounty to visit it.
It's a sticker on my map so I've unlocked it but I went off and killed the Necromancer without ever getting Dark Bounty, I think. I assume Dark Bounty involves you helping the Cultists in the early levels.

Is that level ever something I'm going to visit if I have killed Jekhserah? I just want to know so I can scribble it off (tick the box) but also it seems to lead to a big long quest chain involving some horrible monster and I'm a bit sad I've missed out on that forever!

Also my quest is to do 6 side quests and it turns out that's a FUCKLOAD harder than I expected. I'm currently up to number 4. Everyone else I'm playing with has retired at least one character and I'm still chugging along with my original guy.

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 5, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Taear posted:

I'm not sure I can word this for it to make sense

The chain to get that is 2->4->6.

quote:

Also my quest is to do 6 side quests and it turns out that's a FUCKLOAD harder than I expected. I'm currently up to number 4. Everyone else I'm playing with has retired at least one character and I'm still chugging along with my original guy.

That one depends a bit on luck, especially if other people get PQs with their own quest chain. But you might deserve some help too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The chain to get that is 2->4->6.

That one depends a bit on luck, especially if other people get PQs with their own quest chain. But you might deserve some help too.

So you mean I've missed out on it, then? That's a shame, I hope The Gloom turns up elsewhere.

Some of my party members have personal quests in their quest chains but it's a while away yet, I dunno if I want to wait that long! It does mean my character is the strongest but I also feel like I'm getting a little bored of my Cragheart. I think I suffered a bit because when I picked my quest I didn't realise just how rare sidequests are.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Taear posted:

So you mean I've missed out on it, then?

I don't think you can lock yourself out. Check the requirements for scenario #6.

I had a similar situation in my group. We completed scenario #20 well before going down the arc that starts with scenario #4.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kore_Fero posted:

I don't think you can lock yourself out. Check the requirements for scenario #6.

I had a similar situation in my group. We completed scenario #20 well before going down the arc that starts with scenario #4.

I feel like 6 has a split at the end where you can either help them or go kill them and that if you have "The Rift Closed" (or whatever, it's very close in wording to that) you can't carry on there.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
PQ 515 Lawbringer: We've only played 3 scenarios but our Scoundrel is already at 15/20 on this quest, and it looks like the next scenario we play will give him more Bandits and/or Cultists to kill. Is this just a really easy to complete Personal Quest, or are we doing something wrong? He's only getting credit for the ones he last hits.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Reik posted:

PQ 515 Lawbringer: We've only played 3 scenarios but our Scoundrel is already at 15/20 on this quest, and it looks like the next scenario we play will give him more Bandits and/or Cultists to kill. Is this just a really easy to complete Personal Quest, or are we doing something wrong? He's only getting credit for the ones he last hits.

Because of how the early quests are set up it's just extremely easy. There's a few that if you get them at the right time you can end REALLY fast.
We played those quests though that anyone can get the last blow because it felt a bit lovely otherwise.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Taear posted:

I feel like 6 has a split at the end where you can either help them or go kill them and that if you have "The Rift Closed" (or whatever, it's very close in wording to that) you can't carry on there.

To be clear, you cannot get locked out of scenario #6, the scenario itself and the path to unlocking it has no requirements or restrictions. Scenario #6 will give you the Dark Bounty achievement. So you should be good :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kore_Fero posted:

To be clear, you cannot get locked out of scenario #6, the scenario itself and the path to unlocking it has no requirements or restrictions. Scenario #6 will give you the Dark Bounty achievement. So you should be good :)

Ah, amazing. Thanks!