Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In fairness, Rutger Hauer as Gruber probably would have been very entertaining as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Udo Kier?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Patriot Games is my favourite of the three good Jack Ryan movies. Clear and Present Danger is very good as well and probably has the best action scene of the series (when Ryan's team is ambushed in Mexico) but its villain isn't as good as Sean Bean.

Yeah, man. It's a really great scene. Builds up tension expertly, the music starts to clue you in that something is amiss, and the shot above when the convoy enters the killzone is really good: the way the bad dudes kinda pop into frame.

It's a really intense and kind of terrifying scene. You know that there is no hope for these dudes. And there's something about the way they all kind of sacrifice themselves to get Jack out. He barely makes it out alive, and once he's out side of the ambush spot, it's like he's in a different world. It really, really stood out to me when I was younger.

Plus, Harrison Ford can sell the gently caress out of anything. A punch, a kick, an explosion. Both giving and receiving. Someone upthread really nailed it talking about the everyman aspect of Harrison Ford action dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2w9XDc7Ago

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Helps to have a line in the movie like "Hans... Bubby...!"

The one that always stuck in my memory was McClane's HAAAAAAAAAAAANNNSSS at the final showdown.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
These movies are a dope's delight

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Nvm wrong htread

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hans is daddy

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever watched The Detective with Frank Sinatra?
A fun coincidence is that Bruce Willis's movie debut (as an extra in The First Deadly Sin) saw him sharing the screen with... Frank Sinatra. The man the role of John McClane was originally written for.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

In fairness, Rutger Hauer as Gruber probably would have been very entertaining as well.

Oh my god I never knew I wanted this until you said it. :stare:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Sorry, but Rutger will not be cast as Gruber...*for the rest of his life*.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Still time for him to play Johann Gruber in Live Fast Die Hard, or whatever the fifteenth entry in the franchise will be called.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The brothers Grube

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Rickman ever got any calls for the sequels where they wanted to somehow resurrect Hans. Wouldn't surprise me, he falls out of frame so maybe there was laundry basket or something right there!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The brothers Grube

Friend, is that a Brothers Grunt joke in the year of our lord 2018.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if Rickman ever got any calls for the sequels where they wanted to somehow resurrect Hans. Wouldn't surprise me, he falls out of frame so maybe there was laundry basket or something right there!

You joke but if Die Hard had come out in 2008 instead of 1988...

(Actually, no, that's probably not fair - I'm not sure if sequel-mania/shared movie universe obsessions were quite a thing yet in 2008.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

You joke but if Die Hard had come out in 2008 instead of 1988...

(Actually, no, that's probably not fair - I'm not sure if sequel-mania/shared movie universe obsessions were quite a thing yet in 2008.)

Kinda bums me out to think about it because I'd love to see Rickman come back to the role again no matter how dumb it may be. That would mean he hadn't died :(

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Leave Hans Gruber buried, but give me a three part epic trilogy about his sex-fiend drama queen Sheriff Of Nottingham, and now we’re talking.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll get you, movie hero!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Maybe Hans Gruber has a twin named Ken who serves rice in a NY Chinese restaurant?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

ynohtna posted:

Maybe Hans Gruber has a twin named Ken who serves rice in a NY Chinese restaurant?

As long as there is also an insane, mansion shattering shootout at the end.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

... Asian Dawn?

Hans Gruber is fascinating to me, because on repeated viewings it becomes obvious that there is more going on with the character than what is just surface. For one thing, it almost feels like the whole Nakatomi job is his first real, boots-in-the-mud rodeo as a leader. Like he obviously is a good tactician what with calling the FBI cutting the power, but a lot of what he does seems to be motivated by having the appearance of control. Like when they first take over the building, he’s carrying around this little notebook - presumably full of his plans or whatever. But he seems to have genuinely not considered giving the hostages bathroom breaks until Holly mentions it. And as Snowman mentioned earlier, he doesn’t really seem to perceive John as a threat until John derails one of the few necessary parts of his plan regarding the detonators. Karl doesn’t even necessarily treat him as a superior, but a contemporary, even openly rebutting against Hans at various points.

I think he doesn't perceive McClane as a threat because...well, why would you? Why would you assume that one guy would willingly attack a group of heavily armed terrorists rather than just ride it out? And McClane doesn't. For his first three kills, he's just reacting. Tony finds him, so do Marco and Heinrich. He doesn't take the offensive until the police armored car, and doesn't again until the climax. Hans doesn't go after him with any gusto until he actually has a reason. Every person in the movie is an active participant making decisions and reacting to their environment. There's never the massive leap of logic that most action films have, like why goons keep throwing themselves into a hopeless fight or whatever.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Fart City posted:

Still time for him to play Johann Gruber in Live Fast Die Hard, or whatever the fifteenth entry in the franchise will be called.
It amazes me to this day that they haven't done one where terrorists go undercover at a convent/nunnery, and then call it Old Habits Die Hard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GazChap posted:

It amazes me to this day that they haven't done one where terrorists go undercover at a convent/nunnery, and then call it Old Habits Die Hard.

:vince:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I've been saying for a while that the perfect way to close out Die Hard would be to have some ceremony at the Nakatomi Plaza commemorating the whatever anniversary of the attack, and have John McClaine be a guest of honor for his role (and Sgt. Powell). When the place is stormed by, oh let's say the son of Hans Gruber wanting to exact revenge for the death of his father. Have him played by Tom Hardy or Benedict Cumberbatch, or whoever. Title it, "Never Too Old to Die Hard".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

I've been saying for a while that the perfect way to close out Die Hard would be to have some ceremony at the Nakatomi Plaza commemorating the whatever anniversary of the attack, and have John McClaine be a guest of honor for his role (and Sgt. Powell). When the place is stormed by, oh let's say the son of Hans Gruber wanting to exact revenge for the death of his father. Have him played by Tom Hardy or Benedict Cumberbatch, or whoever. Title it, "Never Too Old to Die Hard".

While going back to Nakatomi might be going a bit far, I do think we're past the point where McClaine should be just bumbling into terrorist situations. It's happened to him four times now(Simon doesn't count, he targeted John specifically), probably better to keep things personal if another Die Hard really has to be made.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Again this is where I mention that the best last Die Hard movie is actually Max Payne 3. A washed up alcoholic New Jersey cop famous for his ultra violent exploits finds a new line of work as private security for an afluent family in Brazil, who are then targeted in a Byzantine terrorist plot that is all about misdirection, and hinges specifically on the cop being famous for those ultra violent exploits. Along the way, said cop finds himself wandering around a high rise wearing only an undershirt, defusing bombs, and having a shootout at an airport.

Hell, it even provides an in-canon reason for the bald McClane of the later installments.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Fart City posted:

Again this is where I mention that the best last Die Hard movie is actually Max Payne 3. A washed up alcoholic New Jersey cop famous for his ultra violent exploits finds a new line of work as private security for an afluent family in Brazil, who are then targeted in a Byzantine terrorist plot that is all about misdirection, and hinges specifically on the cop being famous for those ultra violent exploits. Along the way, said cop finds himself wandering around a high rise wearing only an undershirt, defusing bombs, and having a shootout at an airport.

Hell, it even provides an in-canon reason for the bald McClane of the later installments.

I dig it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Giving away some actiony UV codes for your labor day weekend. Please post if you take one so others know not to bother, and keeping it to one per poster would be nice:

Upgrade: taken

Deadpool 2: taken

The Matrix: taken

Fury: taken

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 2, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Giving away some actiony UV codes for your labor day weekend. Please post if you take one so others know not to bother, and keeping it to one per poster would be nice:

Upgrade: U2VJDUJMMWMJR5T3

Deadpool 2: FC9ZRPP1WW5F4R12

The Matrix: 79VPCMFUJ4RVHRT3

Fury: 3ACE 6LH1 Z2JZ NVJ3

I grabbed Deadpool 2. Thanks!

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Upgrade: U2VJDUJMMWMJR5T3

Deadpool 2: FC9ZRPP1WW5F4R12

Got Upgrade, thanks!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
folks;

https://twitter.com/UPGRADEmovie/status/1032320656656949248

if you haven't seen the best movie of the year yet, it's time

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Grabbed The Matrix. Thanks!

The only reason I'm up this late is because I'm watching Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, which is relevant to this thread since it has some pretty good action.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The '80s were weird in their merchandising of hard-R movies to kids.

https://twitter.com/PhantoMantis/status/1035295946983309314

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Grabbed The Matrix. Thanks!

The only reason I'm up this late is because I'm watching Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, which is relevant to this thread since it has some pretty good action.

I never got into the series but it’s a solid movie. Local rep is doing that, Akira, Perfect Blue and some other thing for an anime week this month and I can’t believe I’m gonna pay to see 3 animes

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Matrix: taken

Fury: taken

Took Fury, thank you! Saw the first 20 minutes a few months ago and have been meaning to watch the rest.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Patriot Games is my favourite of the three good Jack Ryan movies. Clear and Present Danger is very good as well and probably has the best action scene of the series (when Ryan's team is ambushed in Mexico) but its villain isn't as good as Sean Bean.

Does the sea corridor sequence in Red October count as action or suspense?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Rewatching Hardcore Henry with a film buddy to see if I was unfair to it the first time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The Last Boy Scout was good.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

The Last Boy Scout was good.

It has one of the best “oh that guy is turbo dead” villain kills in all of cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Fart City posted:

It has one of the best “oh that guy is turbo dead” villain kills in all of cinema.

Doesn't quite reach John Malcovich in Con Air levels of really, really definitely dead