Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

cant cook creole bream posted:

Spoiler. I guess there's a reason the title of that article is redacted.

Weird. I could have sworn I quoted the whole post and only Snipped the name.

Wow that's the worst page snipe I've seen in a while...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm not familiar with that exact character. Should this excite me?

If you can get a one month pass to Marvel Unlimited check this out, or are willing to drop ten bucks on a one month subscription check this out

http://journey-into-mystery.tumblr.com/post/30097993112/kidlokiguide
Everything marked optional really is optional and I'd start at JiM 622

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh, seriously?

So AGotG is going to feature Executioner, and Kid Loki? That's two characters that should have stayed dead in that book. I loved Journey into Mystery, but bringing Kid Loki back is a mistake, in my opinion. Because him being back means that he's probably going to get turned evil, (heck just that page seems to hint at it), and I wont be having that sort of nonsense.

Whats the thread consensus on Cullen Bunn? All I know is that he exists. Is it all likely he can stick the landing?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Cullen Bunn is the most middle of the road writer there is. He's never bad but I can't get excited seeing his name on a book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh, seriously?

So AGotG is going to feature Executioner, and Kid Loki? That's two characters that should have stayed dead in that book. I loved Journey into Mystery, but bringing Kid Loki back is a mistake, in my opinion. Because him being back means that he's probably going to get turned evil, (heck just that page seems to hint at it), and I wont be having that sort of nonsense.

Whats the thread consensus on Cullen Bunn? All I know is that he exists. Is it all likely he can stick the landing?

He's written some good stuff and some bad stuff, it's mostly a coin flip.

I didn't realize they were bringing back the Executioner, that's a character who really needs to stay dead to preserve his legacy. he stood alone at gjallerbru (still don't know how to pronounce that).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh, seriously?

my take on bunn is that his books are either just flat out bad or so middling youll forget they existed two minutes after reading one. but hes also one of those "there are actually very good people in comicsgate" idiots and i want him as far away from a trans woman of color and her lesbian wife as possible

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

my take on bunn is that his books are either just flat out bad or so middling youll forget they existed two minutes after reading one. but hes also one of those "there are actually very good people in comicsgate" idiots and i want him as far away from a trans woman of color and her lesbian wife as possible

He had the better of the two X-Men books, but that's only because he'd achieved the heady heights of 'mediocre, considering.'

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
and because xmen red hadnt come out yet

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I actually felt Blue was better than Gold. But I am the freak who actually likes the young X-men. See, Jay and Miles said Bendis did a jumping on point with these young X-men so that's when I started reading. Also, Tom Taylor's Jean Grey was totally my poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

I actually felt Blue was better than Gold. But I am the freak who actually likes the young X-men. See, Jay and Miles said Bendis did a jumping on point with these young X-men so that's when I started reading. Also, Tom Taylor's Jean Grey was totally my poo poo.

No, I genuinely thought Blue was better too, but a lot of that was Gold just felt aggressively bad. Blue had some nice moments, and it was cool seeing Young Jean as team leader.

Neither of them are Red, as mentioned, which is the best.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Covok posted:

Blue is definitely better than Gold, but that's more saying how poo poo Gold is than how good Blue is. After a couple years of statistically absolutely average Bunn books, I went back to his Magneto from pre-Secret Wars and even that is really just slightly better than the stuff he's doing now. It doesn't really hold up outside of maybe the first arc.

I feel like I'm the only person who likes Bendis' X-Men stuff. He misses the mark on a couple of characters, but it's good stuff throughout.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blue was a lot better and Bunn is a pretty reliably decent writer. Even sometimes great. His stuff with Magneto through multiple series is maybe the best that character has been in years. The only stuff that really falls flat of his for me is some of his random Deadpool minis. Some are ok, but some are just not blah.

I'm also another fan of the Bendis X-Men stuff, especially the O5.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I liked Bendis' X-Men other than Kitty ditching the O5 because Bendis wanted her in Guardians. I thought it was an interesting change for Kitty but it was so loving sudden and out of character for the arc he had her on, I couldn't get behind it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

X-O posted:

Spoilers for the last page of Asgardians of the Galaxy

https://www.newsarama.com/41660-redacted-returns-in-asgardians-of-the-galaxy-1-spoilers.html

Well that is certainly something unexpected.

FFS now I have to read it, even if it makes no sense considering that character was completely obliterated out of existence totally as part of the deal, right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sentinel Red posted:

FFS now I have to read it, even if it makes no sense considering that character was completely obliterated out of existence totally as part of the deal, right?

I mean it says right there at the top left caption on the page that this character shouldn't exist. So we'll have to wait and see.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Late to the party but I just read Spider-Geddon #1 and loved it. Look, I'm a simple man. All I want out of my comics is to get a few real good chuckles and maybe some "I see what you did there" moments, and this gave me both. I'd be thrilled for our pal MacKay to get an ongoing ASAP. I'd read it no matter what it was, even the Inhumans! Even... even if it was with DC? Yeah, I guess. Even if it was with DC!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Have I got news for you:

Daughters of the Dragon (November, 3 40-page double size issues)
Ghost Panther (November, 2 issues)
Vault of Spiders (December, 8 pages + framing story)
Spider-Geddon #0 (September, 5 page backup)
+ another 6 page backup that I'm not sure where it's being run.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Have I got news for you:

Fuckin a! That's awesome!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

It's been a busy summer!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Bendis's X-Men isn't that bad. The original 5 were kind of stupid because it used some characterizations that were products of the time of the story more than the characters that wisely had been updated by Claremon and writers to follow, but beyond that his setup was fine and he also left the characters in a nice place for other people to do some pretty good things with them.

But drat AvX is unforgivable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Daughters of the Dragon? Well, I'd need a very solid I'm sold.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is Daughters of the Dragon part of their online-first initiative?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Yeah, it's the digital-first Comixology series.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Have I got news for you:

Spider-Geddon #0 has Gamerverse Spidey right? That should be a pretty good seller.

How many of those issues make either SA or BSS references we can make fun of you for?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

Spider-Geddon #0 has Gamerverse Spidey right? That should be a pretty good seller.

How many of those issues make either SA or BSS references we can make fun of you for?

Once per page for ~180 pages. Like I said, it's been a busy summer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Vault of Spiders sounds like a D&D adventure. Also i'm pretty sure I've had that nightmare.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes, are you interested in moving on to an ongoing, or do specials and limited series suit you? Just curious.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:siren: This week's comics free digitally with Comixology glitch :siren:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09/05/comixology-glitch-marvel-comics-today-free/
No idea if it's still going. I found out about this after I'd payed for mine :/

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Kind of weird that Marvel hasn't brought Ares back yet, right?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Oh wow, they did and by Al Ewing no less.. were those any good?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

^burtle posted:

Oh wow, they did and by Al Ewing no less.. were those any good?

Contest of Champions was great. Al Ewing brought back Ares, but more importantly he brought back Night Thrasher. Skateboard and all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Contest was great and guillotine owns and is canon as working in France atm

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hadn't heard of Al Ewing before I got back into comics and I'm glad I gave him a shot.

Everything he's done has been a great read imo.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Vulpes Vulpes, are you interested in moving on to an ongoing, or do specials and limited series suit you? Just curious.

Yeah man, I'd like to do an ongoing for sure. I'm just snapping up everything I can at this point- minis and backups are great because it's stories with endings in sight, but in my secret heart I wish for Daughters to get opened up for an ongoing or another 6 issues.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have a theory that Donny Cates only set out to write Cosmic Ghost Rider because he had an idea how to make every issue have an even more insane last page.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Why haven’t Spider-Gwen and Spider Punk started a band yet?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Immortal Hulk may be Marvel's best comic right now, but Cosmic Ghost Rider is the comic we need.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Speaking of Hulk, im not sure about Ghost Dad being an actual baddie now hahah.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

X-O posted:

Contest of Champions was great. Al Ewing brought back Ares, but more importantly he brought back Night Thrasher. Skateboard and all.

Also Outlaw, the UK Punisher. Who at first I thought was someone Ewing made up but I should have known better, he's from Dan Abnett's Punisher run although he didn't have the cool gold skull then. Also not the cowgirl from Gail Simone's Deadpool and Agent X.

Roth posted:

I hadn't heard of Al Ewing before I got back into comics and I'm glad I gave him a shot.

Everything he's done has been a great read imo.

His 2000AD work is good too, check out Zombo. No relation to the iconic early 2000s internet experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cosmic ghost rider is so much fun oh my goodness