Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

tuyop posted:

My dad is convinced that expandable memory and removable batteries are killer features in smartphones. What’s the best Android phone that has that nonsense? I think he’s probably going to buy an LG G4, is that two year old device as good as it gets?
The market has moved on and it's never going back, point out he can stay behind the times and hope or just suck it up.
Any modern phone has like twice the real-world battery life of the phones he was swapping batteries in.

The worst phone in this test clocks in at 4h15mins of benchmarking and gaming - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WohCuSb3dsM&t=447s

e: I can't see how a G5 would disappoint anyone on battery life, and is cheap with an SD slot. Nokia 7+ lasts forever too.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I think the idea is that once the battery goes to poo poo after two years, you buy a new battery instead of a new phone. This obviously isn't a great idea for a multitude of reasons but I believe that is the general sentiment behind people wanting removable batteries instead of just getting a phone plus a powerbank for example.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Changing the battery on a moto takes like, 10 minutes though. It's not something you can do daily but if you want to after a couple of years and you've ever build a meccano before you'll be fine.
It's only mostly iPhones that glue the poo poo out of it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If my Moto G5 doesn't get Oreo by the end of 2018 I will never buy another Lenovo product again. gently caress these guys.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I mean I don't really care that much about updates as long as the thing works* and I certainly knew what I was in for, but being two major OS versions behind for no goddamn reason is not behavior I'm really gonna reward with my next phone purchase.

___
*I take an alternative approach to online security that I call "being poor and boring"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

If my Moto G5 doesn't get Oreo by the end of 2018 I will never buy another Lenovo product again. gently caress these guys.

Seconding this. Getting more and more interested in a Nokia

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

syscall girl posted:

Seconding this. Getting more and more interested in a Nokia

Lenovo seems to ruin every brand it absorbs. It's a real bummer :(

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Is the Mi AI 2 worthwhile because it’s got Android One rather then the specialized roms.

As it’s like 80 dollars cheaper then the Nokia 6.1 in Canada.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

sbaldrick posted:

Is the Mi AI 2 worthwhile because it’s got Android One rather then the specialized roms.

As it’s like 80 dollars cheaper then the Nokia 6.1 in Canada.

Both of those are part of the Android One program, the Mi A2 is the better of the two.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Left home to drive back into the city, bout 2.5 hours. Phone actually finished charging in the car, unplugged it then. Reduced to 50% just from Google Play music in that length of time. Gf is down to 77% and she was playing games and listening to music. That's insane. I need a new player. Could it be devouring the battery as I have like 1300 local tracks, many of which are flacs?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

64bit_Dophins posted:

Lenovo seems to ruin every brand it absorbs. It's a real bummer :(

In all fairness Motorola was horrible at supporting their phones long before Lenovo bought them.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

tuyop posted:

My dad is convinced that expandable memory and removable batteries are killer features in smartphones. What’s the best Android phone that has that nonsense? I think he’s probably going to buy an LG G4, is that two year old device as good as it gets?

Do not get a G4. Aside from being out of date the thing is a ticking time bomb due to a manufacturing flaw with its Snapdragon 808 processor.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

codo27 posted:

Left home to drive back into the city, bout 2.5 hours. Phone actually finished charging in the car, unplugged it then. Reduced to 50% just from Google Play music in that length of time. Gf is down to 77% and she was playing games and listening to music. That's insane. I need a new player. Could it be devouring the battery as I have like 1300 local tracks, many of which are flacs?
What does battery management suggest? I lose maybe 5% of a 3000mAh battery playing mostly FLACs for an hour.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Like I said, it's insane.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

codo27 posted:

quote:

agreed it's better in general but my car stereo's ability to read tracks stops working a few minutes after it connects. the music still plays be I can still skip tracks etc just the name that shows on the screen freezes up 

Same poo poo for me. Px2/'15 Civic. The longer the phones been up though the longer it takes to skip

if you are still having this issue, I recently switched to phonograph music player (after using shuttle+ and Google Play music) and it doesn't seem to have this issue. I feel like it may have something to do with the fact that phonograph has gapless playback disabled by default, with the disclaimer turning it on might affect playback on some devices but I haven't tested this.

I haven't really used it enough to say definitively that it works perfectly, but it's been doing the whole 30 minute commute home with no track name issues. it also doesn't have the laggy track skip problem that GPM seems to have

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
The gesture bit with that back button is really a mess. There was nothing wrong with the navigation scheme but fixing something that isn't broken and not fully committing to the new feature is very Google.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hrmm, so it's been 2 weeks now and I still have no "OEM Unlock" option within developer options on this Canadian s9. (A bunch of research showed it being a 7 day wait after activation).

Anyone have any suggestions ? Some Reddit posts mentioned that some s9's never get the update to unlock the bootloader.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Looks like an Android SoC that matches the performance of Apple's 2017 chip is less than a year away:

https://www.gsmarena.com/qualcomm_snapdragon_855_possibly_benchmarked_matches_apples_a11_bionic-news-33078.php

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

tuyop posted:

LG G5 and Moto G5 both had removable batteries and SD card slots.

You should not buy two year old phones because they aren't getting security updates.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Looks like an Android SoC that matches the performance of Apple's 2017 chip is less than a year away:

https://www.gsmarena.com/qualcomm_snapdragon_855_possibly_benchmarked_matches_apples_a11_bionic-news-33078.php

We only care about specs when it makes what we're buying look good.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

strap on revenge posted:

if you are still having this issue, I recently switched to phonograph music player (after using shuttle+ and Google Play music) and it doesn't seem to have this issue.

How do I get my Play store purchased music over into that? Or is there no way to do that, completely verifying the fact that the entire digital music marketplace is garbonzo?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

jonathan posted:

Hrmm, so it's been 2 weeks now and I still have no "OEM Unlock" option within developer options on this Canadian s9. (A bunch of research showed it being a 7 day wait after activation).

Anyone have any suggestions ? Some Reddit posts mentioned that some s9's never get the update to unlock the bootloader.
It's the universe telling you not to replace a secure OS environment with an insecure one made by amateur hackers.
If the very idea of running all your personal data through an OS of it's ilk isn't fundamentally scary to you then I don't know what to say?
Return the phone?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LastInLine posted:

We only care about specs when it makes what we're buying look good.

Honestly I've been thinking about buying an iPhone 7+ from my employer because it'll be really cheap but if I do that I can't complain in this thread so I'll prolly just stick with my Oneplus lmao.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

codo27 posted:

How do I get my Play store purchased music over into that? Or is there no way to do that, completely verifying the fact that the entire digital music marketplace is garbonzo?

As far as I know, only Google Play Music can play songs downloaded by the app. Or in the cloud.

You can download the songs (individual or entire library) to a computer and then manually sync the mp3s. You are limited to 2 or 3 downloads of individual files, but I think unlimited downloads of the library, so make backups.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Just got my Mi A2. First impression is that it's much snappier than my G5+.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Khablam posted:

It's the universe telling you not to replace a secure OS environment with an insecure one made by amateur hackers.
If the very idea of running all your personal data through an OS of it's ilk isn't fundamentally scary to you then I don't know what to say?
Return the phone?

phone gay so what :(

The phone is over a year behind on software, and 2 months behind on security patches.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

jonathan posted:

phone gay so what :(

The phone is over a year behind on software, and 2 months behind on security patches.
The first part isn't that relevant since (near) everything pie offers is hard-copied from the Samsung Experience™.
The second part is wholly untrue because an up-to-date phone that's rooted is INFINITE times more vulnerable than a non-rooted phone.

If you read patch notes most of what they fix assumes root, making your endeavour a pointless run around after your own tail that leaves you in a hole of your own making.
Don't root phones in 2018! It's like the only way you can open them to malware anymore.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Oneplus 6T retail box leak confirms tiny notch and under display fingerprint sensor:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Khablam posted:

The first part isn't that relevant since (near) everything pie offers is hard-copied from the Samsung Experience™.
The second part is wholly untrue because an up-to-date phone that's rooted is INFINITE times more vulnerable than a non-rooted phone.

If you read patch notes most of what they fix assumes root, making your endeavour a pointless run around after your own tail that leaves you in a hole of your own making.
Don't root phones in 2018! It's like the only way you can open them to malware anymore.

I don't root phones. I don't think I've rooted a phone since 2008. I just want an up to date kernel.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gobbeldygook posted:

LG G5 and Moto G5 both had removable batteries and SD card slots.

You should not buy two year old phones because they aren't getting security updates.

Oh I know. I've had terrible luck on that front, which is funny because my dad is the type to write "please check ID" on the back of his credit cards to magically prevent identity theft, but then refuses to pay for any apps so ends up with a shitload of weird ads and malware all over his cell phone.

I think the Moto G5 sounds like a really good fit for him, sent him a link. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jonathan posted:

I don't root phones. I don't think I've rooted a phone since 2008. I just want an up to date kernel.

I, too, am deeply concerned about the kernel version on my telephone.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

jonathan posted:

What actual benefits are unlocked with a newer version of Linux on an Android device? I'm an amateur app developer and I have never heard anything about this.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I'm confused by notification sounds on Android 9. I've got a Pixel XL and since upgrading, don't see how to customize notification sounds per app.

Basically, I want text messages to make a DING DONG noise along with the notification. And all other apps where I allow notifications (ie email), I want to be silent. I feel like in the past, this was an option under notifications, but now it seems like it's kind of all or nothing – either you get no notifications for an app at all, or you get notifications that make a sound.

Am I missing something?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Phonograph fixed my car Bluetooth problems, for now

.. Except now when I shut off the car I get a notification on my pebble with the last track info for some reason. Which I think is the reason I stopped using a third party player in the first place a while back. Simple stuff like music must be a chore when all Google cares about is taking my info to sell

codo27 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 4, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Incessant Excess posted:

Oneplus 6T retail box leak confirms tiny notch and under display fingerprint sensor:

I really don’t understand the appeal of the under the display fingerprint reader.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

OhFunny posted:

I really don’t understand the appeal of the under the display fingerprint reader.

It'll do more to sell phones than 3 years of guaranteed OS updates.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

iluvpr0n posted:

I'm confused by notification sounds on Android 9. I've got a Pixel XL and since upgrading, don't see how to customize notification sounds per app.

This isn't behavior that's really changed in 9. With Android, you never been able to assign per app notification sounds from the system wide app settings. Custom notification sounds have to be set within the app itself in their own notification settings.

If the app doesn't give the ability to do a custom notification sound, you are stuck with the system default.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Khablam posted:

You do realise 'running a custom ROM' and 'has root enabled' are not the same thing, right?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lutha Mahtin posted:

What actual benefits are unlocked with a newer version of Linux on an Android device? I'm an amateur app developer and I have never heard anything about this.

I like having the latest OS. I should've gotten something that runs vanilla android but the pixel line I wasn't ok with and I did a bunch of searching and the s9 seemed like I could make it work. But I can't. Oh well I might just sell it because it's annoying. Although it's a lot better without Bixby or the Samsung apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

OhFunny posted:

It's important because it puts the sensor on the front of the phone where the lord jesus intended it to be