Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

me your dad posted:

I bought some Chinese sausage (Lap Xuong) about three or four weeks ago for fried rice. I haven't gotten around to using it and there's no expire date on the packaging.

I imagine it's fine but I want to make sure. Does anyone know how long think type of sausage will keep in the fridge, unopened? It's in a vacuum packaging.

I've kept it unopened in a pantry for months - I think they'll last a stupendous amount of time unopened, and I've kept one in a paper bag in the fridge for like 6 weeks and it was still fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

obi_ant posted:

Just sprinkle that on while it’s being popped?
If you're doing it with an air popper I'd just pop, sprinkle, toss. When I'm using a stovetop popper I just throw the Flavacol and oil into the popper with the kernels.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Looking for apps or websites that help comparison shop for groceries - I'd imagine it's out there in 2018, but I haven't found a 'good' one yet.
I've tried the Basket and GroceryIQ apps but they don't do really what I'm looking for. Basket I'd say is the most on track but doesnt look like you can really sort search results very easily and some other cosmetic issues that make sorting somewhat tedious.

I want to select some area stores - say Kroger, Woodmans, Hyvee, Target. Of those, search for Brownberry bread. It spits out a list of the prices on Brownberry breads at each store. In a way I dont want coupon sites as I'm looking for the "general" item price so I can base it out on $/oz and make a spreadsheet of where is cheapest for which groceries and then when sales/deals are worth it.

Make sense?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have anchovy fillets in oil, stored in a jar. I haven't opened it yet, but I only need 3 for a recipe I'm using (to make a sauce, U M A M I). My problem is, once I use 3 in this recipe, I don't know what to use the rest on. I can't do anything simple like anchovies on toast cause the taste of anchovy is very strong and salty. Any good recipes you guys have that use anchovies? Or can I stick the jar in a freezer so it lasts longer than a week after opening?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Caesar salad is hella good home made

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Chop/smoosh as finely as you can and mix it in with mayo so you can add umami to all the sandwiches. Add a splash of lemon juice and some zest to brighten it up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Qubee posted:

I have anchovy fillets in oil, stored in a jar. I haven't opened it yet, but I only need 3 for a recipe I'm using (to make a sauce, U M A M I). My problem is, once I use 3 in this recipe, I don't know what to use the rest on. I can't do anything simple like anchovies on toast cause the taste of anchovy is very strong and salty. Any good recipes you guys have that use anchovies? Or can I stick the jar in a freezer so it lasts longer than a week after opening?

Won't use them all but tomato sauce is a good way to burn 1-2 fillets.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That Works posted:

Won't use them all but tomato sauce is a good way to burn 1-2 fillets.

can I shove them into the next bolognese sauce I make?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve had anchovies in oil in a jar before and kept them in the fridge and used them for a long time. Am I dead?

Edit: I use them in my bolognese

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Add them to stew when you soften the onions before making a roux. As you already know, they’re good for umami so try to lean into that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Qubee posted:

I def use them in mine like Flash Gordon Ramsay

Qubee
May 31, 2013

the stew turned out amazing, anchovies give it that lil U M A M I kick. the recipe also called for gelatin to thicken the sauce and I'm going to use gelatin in all future stew recipes because it gives it some bite.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Qubee posted:

the stew turned out amazing, anchovies give it that lil U M A M I kick. the recipe also called for gelatin to thicken the sauce and I'm going to use gelatin in all future stew recipes because it gives it some bite.

Okra is in season for thickening too :D

Qubee
May 31, 2013

okra is a good shout, and has made me crave mulukhiyah even though it doesn't even use okra.

I might make okra lamb curry this week. cheers Brian

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
When a recipe says to slice a scallion and separate the whites from the greens, where is the line? When it’s fully leafy and green?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's wherever you want it to be.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Usually you cook the whites to tame the pungency. Taste and see when the flavor gets too much.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I tried to make a big batch of baked beans yesterday and it turns out my cast iron dutch oven doesn't seal very well...after 7 hours, all the steam escaped and most of the beans are undercooked to some degree, and some still crunchy. There's also some nice burnt bits on the edges from the molasses/brown sugar too, but that's neither here nor there.

How do I rescue this? I was thinking put in them in a pot with enough water to cover everything, bring it to a boil and simmer for 30-60 minutes. I'm sure these won't be the best beans ever, I just want this to be edible. The parts that did cook through are tasty, and it's a boatload of food that I'd really like to not throw away (especially the 1lb of bacon in there...).

P.S. I didn't soak the beans initially. The recipe swears up and down it's not necessary for something with this long of a cook time.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

AFAIK dutch ovens aren't supposed to seal in steam. Most likely you had it too far on the "boiling" side of the simmering spectrum, which can make a huge difference in 7 hours.

First time for a recipe + ingredient combo I'd check frequently and add water as needed. For instance, a great grits recipe from Houston needs an extra 2 cups of water with the local Florida grits we buy.

Your salvage plan sounds like what I'd try. Good luck!

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

dupersaurus posted:

When a recipe says to slice a scallion and separate the whites from the greens, where is the line? When it’s fully leafy and green?

If the recipe doesn't say to reserve and scatter the greens, then use the whole drat thing anyway. Use all the leek too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Every time I tried my hand at cassoulet I've run into two problems: the crust it's talking about doesn't form, and the beans end up just becoming mush instead of keeping their form, even when I'm on the lower end of the cooking time scale. Any ideas on what I could be messing up? Seems really straightforward which is more confusing if anything.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Feenix posted:

You fucks, I’m lying in bed and I just joined a loving notify-me email list at Porter Road for the next time Picanha is in stock.

Never had it but I just read up on it, god drat.

Picanha is back in stock @ Porter Road. Just ordered a 4 pounder (ish). If the site is to be believed, I got one of the last 3.

SUCK IT, MEAT NERDS!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
How to use guanciale for making carbonara?

I’ve been making carbonara (the proper way, egg yolk, Parmesan cheese, and oil) for years but people have always told me it’s not the real thing because I’m using pancetta (or bacon if I’m down at heel) and not guanciale.

Imagine my excitement when I find some guanciale at a deli.

But slicing it up and using it in the dish, I end up with a strange acrid flavour and, despite people talking about how much the fat renders out of the meat, huge fatty slices which are very difficult to eat.

What am I doing wrong, spoon goons?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BrianBoitano posted:

AFAIK dutch ovens aren't supposed to seal in steam. Most likely you had it too far on the "boiling" side of the simmering spectrum, which can make a huge difference in 7 hours.

First time for a recipe + ingredient combo I'd check frequently and add water as needed. For instance, a great grits recipe from Houston needs an extra 2 cups of water with the local Florida grits we buy.

Your salvage plan sounds like what I'd try. Good luck!

Yeah, I've never cooked dried beans before. I mean, I've done lentils and split peas before, but never proper dried beans. Actually I think I've done dried kidney beans before (in the same dutch oven) and that turned out just fine, but never great northerns.

The recipe doesn't specifically call for a "tightly" sealed pot, so maybe you're right. Though it does call for bringing to a boil then throwing in a 250 degree oven for 5-7 hours...

I think next time I'll use foil to seal the pot. Given the total lack of water at the end, I suspect in any case this isn't supposed to end up this way...the recipe doesn't even begin to advise that you pay attention and add water when necessary. It's an Alton Brown recipe, and he's usually good about that...but I've definitely had some misses from him before.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Wait, this recipe? https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe-1938616

Cause I make those and you definitely have to soak the beans. I made it without soaking and the beans ended up mostly cooked, but still tough. I also typically need to add about a cup of stock about 3/4 of the way through cooking cause my dutch oven lid is janky.

Also I've saved dry beans in other recipes by adding vegetable stock and boiling until done. They'll split and be a little grainy, but still good.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 4, 2018

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah, I've never cooked dried beans before. I mean, I've done lentils and split peas before, but never proper dried beans. Actually I think I've done dried kidney beans before (in the same dutch oven) and that turned out just fine, but never great northerns.

The recipe doesn't specifically call for a "tightly" sealed pot, so maybe you're right. Though it does call for bringing to a boil then throwing in a 250 degree oven for 5-7 hours...

I think next time I'll use foil to seal the pot. Given the total lack of water at the end, I suspect in any case this isn't supposed to end up this way...the recipe doesn't even begin to advise that you pay attention and add water when necessary. It's an Alton Brown recipe, and he's usually good about that...but I've definitely had some misses from him before.

While evaporation may be an issue over that length of time, I think the bigger issue is that the beans weren't soaked.

Granted, you don't have to soak beans before cooking if you're going to be cooking them for 7-some-odd hours -- they will cook in about that amount of time unless your beans are old or your water is ultra hard. But most varieties of unsoaked beans will absorb a shocking amount of liquid, and expand accordingly. So regardless of the recipe, if you're starting from dry, you should check your beans fairly regularly (esp. for the first 2-3 hours) to make sure they aren't drying out (though you've grasped that much already).

Recipes do try to adjust for bean absorption, but there's no way to predict exactly how much water you'll need between each individual package of beans and additional evaporation caused by your cookware. And for recipes like baked beans, which aren't supposed to be thin and soupy, the adjustments are more likely to err on the side of not enough water than too much.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Heading up to New York City in a few weeks, looking for any recommendations for places that might accept walk-ins for two?

Not opposed to getting a reservation, but we would like to be able to grab a few bites at a few different places - ideally within walking distance (mile or less).

At some point we will be heading to Wildair (hopefully), but no other plans.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

beefnchedda posted:

Heading up to New York City in a few weeks, looking for any recommendations for places that might accept walk-ins for two?

Not opposed to getting a reservation, but we would like to be able to grab a few bites at a few different places - ideally within walking distance (mile or less).

You're going to have to be a bit more specific than that.

Everywhere is withing a mile or less of somewhere, and "might take walk-ins" is less casting a wide net and more trying to shove the ocean in a bag.

Waci fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 5, 2018

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

beefnchedda posted:

Shinka Ramen, 93 Bowery. It's good.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

fizzymercy posted:

Wait, this recipe? https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe-1938616

Cause I make those and you definitely have to soak the beans. I made it without soaking and the beans ended up mostly cooked, but still tough. I also typically need to add about a cup of stock about 3/4 of the way through cooking cause my dutch oven lid is janky.

Also I've saved dry beans in other recipes by adding vegetable stock and boiling until done. They'll split and be a little grainy, but still good.

It was indeed those beans. We have the books so we go by them instead. The book recipes are supposedly "updated" or otherwise "fixed" recipes, though it's 95% the same in this case. The big difference is that in the book version, it does NOT specify soaking. He actually goes out of his way to tell you NOT to soak beans in the episode summary... which is the exact OPPOSITE of what he preaches in the original episode.

But lesson learned!

Also I did just what I said I would.... put them back in a pot, topped them with water (didn't want to add any more salt with broth), and simmered them for about an hour and they're just fine now. Probably not exactly as they should have been, but definitely not crunchy anymore...

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

beefnchedda posted:

Cutting it down to restaurants that accept walk-ins will still leave you with 95% of the restaurants in NYC. Are you looking for Korean, Greek, Thai, Peruvian, Italian, or something else? Be as specific as possible. There are thousands of restaurants to choose from and maybe I can recommend something that fits what you’re looking for.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Charcuterie thread is archived I guess, so I'll ask in here.

I'd like to try my hand at making sausage suitable for hiking/hunting trips. I've taken salami on previous trips, but salami seems like it's got a rather complex manufacturing process. Is there any dried sausage that's easy to make at home and might be suitable?

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

Waci posted:

You're going to have to be a bit more specific than that.

Everywhere is withing a mile or less of somewhere, and "might take walk-ins" is less casting a wide net and more trying to shove the ocean in a bag.

Corben Goble-Garbus posted:

Cutting it down to restaurants that accept walk-ins will still leave you with 95% of the restaurants in NYC. Are you looking for Korean, Greek, Thai, Peruvian, Italian, or something else? Be as specific as possible. There are thousands of restaurants to choose from and maybe I can recommend something that fits what you’re looking for.

Thanks. We will be looking mainly at Korean and your standard "modern" American.

Ideally trying to find a neighborhood we can get into a few places over the course of a few hours from around 7pm until Midnight - grazing and having a drink and few plates at three or four places.

We just moved to the South from California - on our now frequent trips to New York, we try to find places that we can't get at home - omakase, Northern Thai, Korean, non-Americanized Chinese, natural wine, the abovementioned modern American. Unfortunately, due family obligations on this trip, we will need to be Manhattan - although normally we would make a trip out to Flushing.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

beefnchedda posted:

Thanks. We will be looking mainly at Korean and your standard "modern" American.

Ideally trying to find a neighborhood we can get into a few places over the course of a few hours from around 7pm until Midnight - grazing and having a drink and few plates at three or four places.

We just moved to the South from California - on our now frequent trips to New York, we try to find places that we can't get at home - omakase, Northern Thai, Korean, non-Americanized Chinese, natural wine, the abovementioned modern American. Unfortunately, due family obligations on this trip, we will need to be Manhattan - although normally we would make a trip out to Flushing.

Modern American - I've heard good things about ABC Kitchen but I've never been. It's not so easy to get a table though.
Korean - I really like the Bulgogi Dolsot Bibimbob at Mandoo Bar. The number of places in Koreatown is kind of overwhelming. I've liked Miss Korea, Seoul Garden, and Dons Bogam but I don't eat enough Korean food to say what is best.
For either of these two categories, it may be worthwhile to hit up the NYC LAN thread for more informed opinions.

Northern Thai - Somtum Der on 85 Avenue A in East Village. If you can make it to Brooklyn, Ugly Baby is great.
Omakase - Sushi Nakazawa is great if you can get a reservation and want to splurge. I've heard Tanoshi is great and it's a little cheaper.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong is top tier KBBQ in NYC. Not cheap at all though. Miss Korea is dope too. I really liked New Wonjo because they're one of the few places that grill over charcoal rather than gas. I don't think it's in Manhattan though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Qubee posted:

Go one better and use em in your tuna salad. It adds just the right funk.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I'm looking for a good Hummingbird Cake recipe, and I see a lot of options out there. Anyone have any winners they'd recommend?

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Looking for some general barbecue sauce/rub recommendations, specifically for use in slow cooker recipes. Probably will most commonly be cooking chicken and pork, but also open to options for beef.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Looking for some general barbecue sauce/rub recommendations, specifically for use in slow cooker recipes. Probably will most commonly be cooking chicken and pork, but also open to options for beef.

Google "magic dust rub recipe" and substitute homemade chili powder for store bought for the best rub I've ever had, works on most things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
If a recipe calls for medium-grind bulgur, is "Cracked Wheat medium burghul #2" the same thing?

Apparently all bulgur is cracked wheat, but not all cracked wheat is bulgur?