Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sanford posted:

I went to see The League of Gentleman Live last night and although it was on the whole very funny, one or two of their characters have not aged well. Herr Lipp in particular seemed a really awful negative stereotype of homosexuality, and the blending of is a gay with is a sexual predator was deeply uncomfortable.

I watched the recent 3 part TV special and that one stood out to me, too.

I suppose it is a perfectly reasonable caricature; given that there is no reason why a creep can't be gay and if so, why they can't be over the top, but he made me feel uncomfortable too.

But then I remembered that a solid 30% of LoG is supposed to make the viewer feel uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sanford posted:

I went to see The League of Gentleman Live last night and although it was on the whole very funny, one or two of their characters have not aged well. Herr Lipp in particular seemed a really awful negative stereotype of homosexuality, and the blending of is a gay with is a sexual predator was deeply uncomfortable.

The League of Gentlemen is set in a village named after Chubby Brown and features, among others, a serial murdering incestuous couple, a wife-stealing gypsy in blackface, the world's worst transgender stereotype and a butcher who sells human flesh and everyone knows about it. If you're coming away from the show thinking that a predatory gay man stands out, you should reevaluate your priorities.

Personally I would say LoG has aged extremely well, as despite having every variety of lunatic and reprobate under the sun the most horrifying character is Pauline at the Job Centre.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

purple death ray posted:

the 80s were a strange time to grow up, I really thought that every adult was really interested in preserving it and that it was this big deal that all the grown ups agreed on.

Im sure giving a poo poo about sexual assault the way we do now will be considered just as ridiculous in 20 years.

If someone thinks caring about the environment is ridiculous then they're an rear end in a top hat.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Gaunab posted:

If someone thinks caring about the environment is ridiculous then they're an rear end in a top hat.

Captain Planet was set in the normal timeline, they didn't expect the Trump Dimension

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait, so Belfast got nuked and the show still had a happy ending?

I’m getting a real The Dark Knight vibe with those matching Bomb Swatches.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

The Bloop posted:

It's not really an opinion, more of a hypothesis, but here goes: he was hosed in the head, and he might have had "inappropriate" contact but it probably wasn't from the position of a predator as much as from trying to be a kid himself while still having some "adult" aspects is himself due to being physiologically fully adult.

In other words, he probably did wrong but from a place of innocence or confusion rather than attempting something he knew to be harmful.

He was not neurotypical and judging the morality of his motivations like someone who was is unfair.

Probably.

Doesn't mean he should have been given the opportunity though, obviously.

NOOOOO BLARRRRGHLG :kingsley:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I liked the episode where they did a simulation of everything on earth dying and the last human on earth is a rad cyborg.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Magnus Manfist posted:

The humour definitely changes from the early seasons. For example there's a transgender character who one of the main characters sort of has a thing with, and is deeply ashamed about this.The first episode with her in is basically "hurrr gross he's banging a a chick with a dick", while in the later seasons it's much clearer that the joke is that she's perfectly well adjusted, they're being idiot assholes about it, and she quickly tires of their bullshit.

Even that early, it's obvious in the writing that the problem isn't Carmen, it's Mac. That episode's Mac-Carmen plot ends with:

quote:

Mac: (on his cell phone) Mom, I'm telling you, this girl's amazing. Yeah, I've got butterflies in my stomach. There's one little issue...
Carmen: (sneaks up from behind and grabs his waist)
Mac: (turns around and punches her in the face)
Carmen: Oh god! I think you broke my nose!
Witness #1: That guy's beating on that chick!
Carmen: Oh my god!
Mac: Oh no, you know, it's a dude. Yeah, she has a penis... so it's okay.
Witness #1: Dude, isn't that a hate crime?
Witness #2: poo poo yeah, it's a hate crime! (both witnesses chase after Mac)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
That window of the late 80s/early 90s had a strong pro-environment message in entertainment media. I brought it up before but there was a huge star-studded Earth Day TV special around then that I remember Doc Brown showing up to talk about how great stuff used to be before we polluted it and Sam Malone telling someone that recycling a beer can saved enough energy to run a TV for 3 hours.

Everything from ozone layer to water pollution to rainforest to wildlife preservation etc. had storylines in movies, TV shows, etc.

I wish I could find it, but there was this odd alternate future video we had to watch in a science class about the world of the future and how we barely saved it by going through a lot of stuff in the 90s/00s to change the way we lived. But in retrospect I remember it being REALLY fearmongering about how bad stuff was going to get. I've tried to find it and can't. The only thing I can remember is some slightly older UK guy hosting it and having stuff like propaganda commercials from the future showing children living in garbage dumps.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I remember some made for TV movie with a kid waking up in a water scarce future for reasons

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, Ice Pirates was a kickass movie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Space Herpies is a real health crisis.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

That window of the late 80s/early 90s had a strong pro-environment message in entertainment media. I brought it up before but there was a huge star-studded Earth Day TV special around then that I remember Doc Brown showing up to talk about how great stuff used to be before we polluted it and Sam Malone telling someone that recycling a beer can saved enough energy to run a TV for 3 hours.

Everything from ozone layer to water pollution to rainforest to wildlife preservation etc. had storylines in movies, TV shows, etc.

I wish I could find it, but there was this odd alternate future video we had to watch in a science class about the world of the future and how we barely saved it by going through a lot of stuff in the 90s/00s to change the way we lived. But in retrospect I remember it being REALLY fearmongering about how bad stuff was going to get. I've tried to find it and can't. The only thing I can remember is some slightly older UK guy hosting it and having stuff like propaganda commercials from the future showing children living in garbage dumps.

In retrospect it's strange that the bloodthirsty capitalists who own hollywood allowed enviromentalism to gain any kind of foothold in popular culture, although I guess back in the 80s-90s era everyone was high off of solving CFCs/the ozone hole with market solutions and hadn't yet realized how hard global warming would be to stop or that it would affect some bottom lines for a while.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Captain Planet could not be harmed by anything that occurred naturally... but he was vulnerable to crude oil.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Wheat Loaf posted:

Captain Planet could not be harmed by anything that occurred naturally... but he was vulnerable to crude oil.

Pumped out of the ground with machines. UN-NATURAL!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's because it was deposited here by aliens yo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was he ever vulnerable to coal, I wonder?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If Captain America was rebooted today he would be advocating for farm-to-table restaurants and fair trade coffee.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jedit posted:

The League of Gentlemen is set in a village named after Chubby Brown and features, among others, a serial murdering incestuous couple, a wife-stealing gypsy in blackface, the world's worst transgender stereotype and a butcher who sells human flesh and everyone knows about it. If you're coming away from the show thinking that a predatory gay man stands out, you should reevaluate your priorities.

Personally I would say LoG has aged extremely well, as despite having every variety of lunatic and reprobate under the sun the most horrifying character is Pauline at the Job Centre.

Barbara wasn’t featured in the stage show but you’re right, that character hasn’t aged brilliantly either. I don’t know anyone who’s been negatively impacted by any of those other stereotypes though, so :shrug: A few gay friends have told me they find the conflation of being gay and being a sex offender massively offensive as it was used as an excuse for persecution for so long, and still is. So it jumped out at me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was he ever vulnerable to coal, I wonder?

Gas its a problem unless it's natural.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It never came up in the show, but it’s actually dinosaurs he’s weak to there, because they were deposited on the earth by the devil to test our faith.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Captain Planet recently had a crossover with OK KO, and it ended on kind of a melancholy note.

I know that's the Levar Burton and the original voice of Captain Planet, but is that the original Dr Blight too?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Sanford posted:

Barbara wasn’t featured in the stage show but you’re right, that character hasn’t aged brilliantly either. I don’t know anyone who’s been negatively impacted by any of those other stereotypes though, so :shrug: A few gay friends have told me they find the conflation of being gay and being a sex offender massively offensive as it was used as an excuse for persecution for so long, and still is. So it jumped out at me.

I'd actually argue that Barbara has aged better in a lot of ways than a bunch of older depictions of transgender characters. People in the town seem perfectly fine with calling Barbara her name. They ask her regularly about how she's doing with her transition, which could be seen as problematic, except Barbara wants to talk about it, and seems open to the discussion. Of course, the joke is a gruff sounding hairy guy wanting to become a woman, but it's actually handled a lot better from the acceptance by the community perspective.

I don't think Barbara is seen as a sexual predator in anyway either, which is another difference for the time it came out. Though it's been a while since I watched it so I may be wrong.

VVVV Not that I know of, I saw it years ago.

ScentOfAnOtaku has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Sep 3, 2018

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I'd actually argue that Barbara has aged better in a lot of ways than a bunch of older depictions of transgender characters. People in the town seem perfectly fine with calling Barbara her name. They ask her regularly about how she's doing with her transition, which could be seen as problematic, except Barbara wants to talk about it, and seems open to the discussion. Of course, the joke is a gruff sounding hairy guy wanting to become a woman, but it's actually handled a lot better from the acceptance by the community perspective.

I don't think Barbara is seen as a sexual predator in anyway either, which is another difference for the time it came out. Though it's been a while since I watched it so I may be wrong.

Can you stream it anywhere? I feel like watching it again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dr Christmas posted:

Captain Planet recently had a crossover with OK KO, and it ended on kind of a melancholy note.

I know that's the Levar Burton and the original voice of Captain Planet, but is that the original Dr Blight too?

So this is what cartoons do nowadays, make kids face the cold reality of a dying world

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

If Captain America was rebooted today he would be advocating... fair trade coffee.

I swear there was an episode... Not coffee, but exploited indigenous people, and some other kind crop.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dr Christmas posted:

The original Dr. Blight was Meg Ryan. Yes, that Meg Ryan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Samuringa posted:

So this is what cartoons do nowadays, make kids face the cold reality of a dying world

It's actually a very hot reality

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

business hammocks posted:

In retrospect it's strange that the bloodthirsty capitalists who own hollywood allowed enviromentalism to gain any kind of foothold in popular culture, although I guess back in the 80s-90s era everyone was high off of solving CFCs/the ozone hole with market solutions and hadn't yet realized how hard global warming would be to stop or that it would affect some bottom lines for a while.

When Captain Planet started it was because of a big push by Ted Turner, which is why they were able to afford all those big stars (for the first season at least.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I always found Dr. Blight to be dreamy :allears:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It sucked that Blight from that Batman show never returned despite not being dead and an obvious candidate for overarching Big Bad.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

When Captain Planet started it was because of a big push by Ted Turner, which is why they were able to afford all those big stars (for the first season at least.)

Ted Turner was the liberal equivalent of a Koch brother for a while there. Except instead of buying politicians he put on 2nd tier sports competitions and made Captain Planet.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It sucked that Blight from that Batman show never returned despite not being dead and an obvious candidate for overarching Big Bad.

He did in the comics. It was lackluster.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Just watched a Golden Girls where the girls hire a black housekeeper and are convinced that she put a vodooo curse on them ahhhhhhh

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Blast Fantasto posted:

Just watched a Golden Girls where the girls hire a black housekeeper and are convinced that she put a vodooo curse on them ahhhhhhh

They all live in Florida, checks out.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

I can't remember a single thing about The Norm Show other than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER6lPaxhWeA

:psyduck:

It’s so oddly specific which I guess isn’t too surprising for a Norm thing

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Blight was an on-and-off villain for about the first two seasons of Beyond. He was mostly puppetmastering to get Bruce's half of Wayne-Powers Enterprises, rather than directly being a walking radioactive waste dump.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Blight had a great M. Bison type exchange in one episode:

:argh: "Who are you?"
:colbert: "You really wanna know?"
:argh: "YES!"
:colbert: "You killed my father."
:argh: "Do you have any idea how little that narrows it down?"

Not as good as Bison in the Street Fighter cartoon, though:

:bisonyes: "Yes, yes, I killed your father. What is it with you women, anyway? I killed my father too and you don't hear me whining about it!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

C'mon the Raoul Julia version is king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZ5I8l32CI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

C'mon the Raoul Julia version is king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZ5I8l32CI

The Raoul Julia version of anything is king.