Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They even dropped "Star Wars" from the title of the Han Solo movie this year and it flopped anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

tbh, I'm more sick of the dumb neckbeards crying, but yeah if I recall the original Mulan didn't do too well in China because Mulan herself is 'too americanized' and didn't find her at all sympathetic.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does Chris Tucker have range beyond high-pitched comic-relief? I don't know if he was morevor less annoying than the gargoyles.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Robindaybird posted:

tbh, I'm more sick of the dumb neckbeards crying, but yeah if I recall the original Mulan didn't do too well in China because Mulan herself is 'too americanized' and didn't find her at all sympathetic.

Yet didn't they really like Kung Fu Panda ?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I remember reading an article that said they were pissed off that Po had green eyes.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How did they take "the magic was in you all along" dragon scroll twist?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hiddenriverninja posted:

How did they take "the magic was in you all along" dragon scroll twist?

JUST GIVE TAI LUNG THE SCROLL JESUS CHRIST

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Barudak posted:

It doesnt help they have no exposure to the previous films and the new ones are extremely dependent on that cultural cache. Before The Last Jedi they went all out in the market and it was obvious they had no idea how to pitch the concept to China at all because they couldnt rely on “its your childhood!”

Wait, the original Star Wars movies were never released in China? Any particular reason why?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

all the articles I've seen about Kung Fu Panda and China is the Chinese entertainment industry being pissed that due to stringent laws they couldn't make a movie like that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I thought Kung Fu Panda is popular in China, to the point that Chinese people ask why they can't make a cartoon movie about Kung Fu and pandas like it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's kinda funny how much of this conversation is "I heard X said" level hypothesizing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the "KFP is popular in China" thing is absolutely real, I remember tons of news articles about that when it came out (though I'm too lazy to google). iirc the thing was, it was irreverent towards Chinese culture in some ways that would likely prevent a Chinese film funding group from going anywhere near it, but was otherwise completely respectful to the extent that it impressed the hell out of a lot of Chinese filmgoers and made them kind of collectively go "gently caress, can't we loosen up a bit?"

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I'll contrast to my extremely hated Inside Out, where no one in the family does anything interesting or even slightly outside the "safe zone" of TV-family behavior.

I think this depends on a pretty shallow, warped reading of the movie. Inside Out doesn't get quite as blunt about its characters' flaws as Coco does (I personally love them both for different reasons), and this is a legitimate flaw in the film, but it's still an extremely high-stakes story that completely centers on its characters' extremely unhealthy dysfunctions. In the climax of the film, Riley narrowly avoids becoming a missing child - IE, homeless, trafficked, and/or murdered - because her parents have done such a lovely job of parenting her and she is dangerously emotionally unstable. The ending is troubling, but I think that this is deliberate - it's a cathartic moment when Riley and her parents reunite and hug, but it's not really a functional redemptive moment for them, because it can't be - the flawed people in our lives aren't going to stop being flawed just because a crisis situation happened. We might just be stuck with them.

I can picture a "safe zone", "TV-family" version of the same story, but it would play out very differently - it probably would have been produced a few decades ago, before our society became so concerned about the well-being of unsupervised children. It probably would feature a younger child whose plan to run away is less feasible and harder to take seriously - I'm thinking like the old Calvin & Hobbes arc where Calvin "runs away". Alternatively, if the story were aimed at an older audience, it might feature an older teenager, verging on a young adult, who we could actually easily picture succeeding in life independently from their parents. But as is, the climax of Inside Out is a beautiful rendition of a parent's nightmare; thinking it over, I would actually say that it's the tensest any Pixar movie has gotten so far. And, of course, this isn't some externally-imposed conflict - it's entirely a result of the main characters' gradually accumulated bad personal decisions that their lives nearly self-destructed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She almost gets on a bus and she still has her phone.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

She almost gets on a bus and she still has her phone.

Because Inside Out is a movie focusing on internal conflict, it is certainly a good thing that the climax hinges entirely on the protagonist's decision - IE, she is not trapped on a bus against her own free will with no means of contacting her parents. It's tense because the protagonist closely dodges a metaphorical bullet, not a literal one - in the end, she is very lucky to have not gone through with her terrible decision. She almost did.

Perhaps the point would be clearer if it were a near suicide attempt? But of course, Pixar couldn't have made that movie, nor should they have. The movie as it stands hits the sweet spot of intimately showing extreme self-destructive behavior in a mundane setting while staying in acceptable-to-market-to-children territory.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Larryb posted:

Wait, the original Star Wars movies were never released in China? Any particular reason why?

The Chinese government didn't allow very many foreign films until nearly a decade after the Original Trilogy came out and wasn't a particularly lucrative film market even when the prequels came out so no reason to fight the still iron grip of the Chinese film censorship and importation committee in that era over films that were sequels to films that had never come out in that market. This leads us to the buildup to Episode 7 in China where Disney waddles in and has absolutely no goddamn idea how to promote this thing without doing a song and dance about nostalgia and shared iconography and with the films quality as they are it should be 0 surprise they didn't do well in China.

It is genuinely one of the worst handled marketing campaigns for something I've seen, and I remember Microsoft's godawful "Throw a Windows 7 launch party" idea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shadow Hog posted:

In the end, I wound up learning about a Zootopia shirt I hadn't seen before and picked it up last night. The clerk says the chain's looking into more Zoo-themed for adults going forward, but I don't know how much a clerk at a random Disney Store actually knows about the matter.

Kind of a missed opportunity not making that shirt a button-up short sleeve as opposed to just a T-shirt, but I suppose that might cost a fair bit more than the fare you'd sell at The Disney Store, so.

Much as I complained about the shipping, I ended up buying this as well as a button-up aliexpress shirt. Hopefully it doesn't suck. I want to wear it to Tokyo Disney next year.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

21 Muns posted:

Because Inside Out is a movie focusing on internal conflict, it is certainly a good thing that the climax hinges entirely on the protagonist's decision - IE, she is not trapped on a bus against her own free will with no means of contacting her parents. It's tense because the protagonist closely dodges a metaphorical bullet, not a literal one - in the end, she is very lucky to have not gone through with her terrible decision. She almost did.

Perhaps the point would be clearer if it were a near suicide attempt? But of course, Pixar couldn't have made that movie, nor should they have. The movie as it stands hits the sweet spot of intimately showing extreme self-destructive behavior in a mundane setting while staying in acceptable-to-market-to-children territory.

The outside scenes in Inside Out are so well executed that there is no need to have a management simulator gimmick world outside of just doing it through dream sequences. I'll give the movie points though, for not having a "bad guy" that needs to be punted off the nearest cliff, as the internal and familial conflicts are sufficient.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like with Inside Out--what's actually happening to the little girl? Is she having some kind of depressive disorder? That she fixes through...subconscious neural rewiring of some kind? Like what is actually happening when the weird elephant monster disappears?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

porfiria posted:

I feel like with Inside Out--what's actually happening to the little girl? Is she having some kind of depressive disorder? That she fixes through...subconscious neural rewiring of some kind? Like what is actually happening when the weird elephant monster disappears?

Growing up

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mamkute posted:

The outside scenes in Inside Out are so well executed that there is no need to have a management simulator gimmick world outside of just doing it through dream sequences. I'll give the movie points though, for not having a "bad guy" that needs to be punted off the nearest cliff, as the internal and familial conflicts are sufficient.

The problem with the movie is the central conceit of the movie?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The problem with the movie is the central conceit of the movie?

I agree with you that this is a silly stance to take, although it does seem to be the consensus view on Up.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
just had the newest TMNT show on "Rise of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" and drat the colouring is great

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm kind of torn on it, coloring's good and it's nice to make the turtles more distinguishable but I'm not crazy about the actual designs but it might look better in motion?

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 5, 2018

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I have a strong dislike for whatever that is that I just looked at.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

21 Muns posted:

In the climax of the film, Riley narrowly avoids becoming a missing child - IE, homeless, trafficked, and/or murdered - because her parents have done such a lovely job of parenting her and she is dangerously emotionally unstable.

It's been a while but that sounds like a crazy dark spin on it. She's an average kid who goes through difficult stuff like leaving home and embarrassing herself at school and not wanting to disappoint her parents. Inside Out is a movie with sitcom-level jokes and Very Special Episode stakes.

21 Muns posted:

I agree with you that this is a silly stance to take, although it does seem to be the consensus view on Up.

"The movie did its big thing wrong" isn't that wild of a stance, imo.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I saw the first episode of the new Turtles and it was just too hyper active for me. It kind of felt like someone stood too close to me while waving their hands in front of my face while screaming bad jokes and snapping their fingers. Nicely animated but I won't watch more of it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TMNT is firmly in "why not" territory at this point, I mean they've rebooted it a hundred times so I guess they have to do something to stand out.

Also I guess those vivid colors reminded me, Boss Baby is now on rotation in my household. Can confirm what most people have been saying, it's an incredibly solid animated movie and the title gives you literally no idea what to expect. (Not that I have a better title in mind, it's just hard to get across what it's about in a succinct way because it kind of operates on kid/imagination/dream logic.) The writing veers between Pixar-level insight and some fairly safe jokes that won't surprise anyone who grew up on The Simpsons, but are by no means bad. The directing and animation are where it really shines though. Feels a lot like a Chuck Jones production translated to CGI. It's probably the most "cartoony" CGI animation I've ever seen. So many imaginative, vivid, memorable shots.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I saw one episode of the Boss Baby series on Netflix and it has a joke where an agent of a corporation shows disgusts towards a liberal.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ooookay?

The movie is good. The animation is very clever. Some missteps but nothing on the scale of Inside Out.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I get the feeling nearly all the people who cried foul at Boss Baby being nominated for an Oscar didn’t actually see Bossy Baby. It didn’t deserve to win by any stretch, but I’m actually not mad about the nomination.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm too repulsed by the alec baldwin baby design to ever watch it, though this thread did get me to watch Trolls...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It’s visually clever but it’s no Trolls

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dirksteadfast posted:

I get the feeling nearly all the people who cried foul at Boss Baby being nominated for an Oscar didn’t actually see Bossy Baby. It didn’t deserve to win by any stretch, but I’m actually not mad about the nomination.

I actually was wondering about that but was too lazy/forgetful/parent to look it up. No question, it deserves the nomination.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sir Lemming posted:

TMNT is firmly in "why not" territory at this point, I mean they've rebooted it a hundred times so I guess they have to do something to stand out.

Not to mention the previous show TMNT2012 was a mix of the most quintessential elements of the franchise. Trying something new after that show is the best way to go and this new incarnation feels so fresh.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
So, Adventure Time is over.

I feel strangely empty after watching the last episode. It was an excellent finale.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looper posted:

I'm too repulsed by the alec baldwin baby design to ever watch it, though this thread did get me to watch Trolls...

I mean, he looks like a cartoon baby. It's not like he's the baby from Billion Surprise Toys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztw7sua-JJ8

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd given up on Adventure Time after the Orgalorg thing ended with a wet fart. Do I need to catch up for the finale to make any sense?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe like three episodes prior, it wraps up some stuff. I generally liked season 10 as a whole. The finale is worth watching that past season, and I can agree orgalorg is poo poo.

I guess the only thing you really need to know is that Jake was actually fathered by a kind of stretchy alien, which explains his powers, and that most of the candy kingdom's citizens actually started as siblings of PB that she dumbed down, but some broke off and went to start a war against her. I know AT was better when it wasn't doing plot points, but the finale wrapped just about every single one of them up in a way that was extremely satisfying. The season 7/8 wet farts are left behind, and seasons 9 and 10 really start ramping up towards the end. Probably because the creators actually knew by season 9 where things were headed and that the show would end soon, versus season 6/7/8 where they didn't really have any direction and were just spinning their wheels for a bit to fill time.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I stopped watching after season six, watched the last three episodes and enjoyed it. Solid finale even if AT was better when it wasn't doing 'plot'.