Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Krispy Wafer posted:

So much better as long as TB doesn't make a comeback.

I know someone with TB. :( It still exists in northern Canada, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKcsCYeWMM

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LionArcher posted:

Herpes is an incredibly common STI that far more people have than we on average as a society think have it. It also is not nearly as harmful as it is made out to be. Adam ruins everything has a great segment on it. Despite all of that, there is still huge stigma about it however, and it leads people (including a dear friend) to fall into a deep depression when he contracted it.

There’s a lot of people who have it who have made far better points about why it’s terrible the way it’s represented in the media and as a low form of humor (see Ella Dawson on twitter). Think of it as a new version of people saying gay or retard as slang.

Personally, yes I have cold sores (thanks mom) but so does almost everyone else I know.

I only harp so hard because I also made a joke about it to a friend (don’t swipe right on that guy he looks like he has herpes) and she responded she had it, and it’s bullshit as an insult. She had a point.

As for laptop discussion, I’m ready to buy the new air if they release the drat thing next week, but we all know it’s going to be October isn’t it? 😢.

:allears:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Re: herpes discussion. I think maybe people should focus a bit on dealing with their ridiculous hang ups and pointless shame and less on tone policing and virtue signaling.

Like most people have herpes, right? And it’s pretty much harmless? So it’s like the same level as farts and we make jokes about farts all the time and people don’t care because only the mentally ill or insufferable or the controlling would give a poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mac Hardware megathread: RE: herpes discussion

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Well, thanks thread. I now have eye-herpes having read all this.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Well, thanks thread. I now have eye-herpes having read all this.

See, now this was a funny joke.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

tuyop posted:

Re: herpes discussion. I think maybe people should focus a bit on dealing with their ridiculous hang ups and pointless shame and less on tone policing and virtue signaling.

Like most people have herpes, right? And it’s pretty much harmless? So it’s like the same level as farts and we make jokes about farts all the time and people don’t care because only the mentally ill or insufferable or the controlling would give a poo poo.

Valid point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had a cousin who announced to everyone she had herpes because she had an outbreak during delivery and her baby almost died. Whether the child lived was 50/50 at one point there.

It's Apple related because the announcement had, "sent from my iPhone" as the message signature.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

to get back on topic.. or not if you consider gruber's writings like an sti.

Violator posted:

I’ve read him for over a decade at this point but find him pretty much worthless at this point. Only posting positive Apple news, only having positive opinions about Apple products, always bashing Mark Gurman reporting for the pettiest poo poo, and generally being kinda aloof about his facts have just gotten tiring.

Also tired of when he gets stuff wrong that he blames his sources and not his reporting, “Marzipan isn’t real” and then it was announced like a week later, and how he’ll come out with positive news about Apple “randomly” when it would just happen to be good for their PR for one reason or another.

And when he does post a critique about something, you can time it because within 2-3 weeks that particular thing is updated to fix the problem like he’s been clued in on it so it’s safe to complain about it.

And how he complained when women/people of color were given access to a new product last year instead of the usual tech reporters. Like his Apple Watch high school crush fan fic crap was just so much more insightful than what young YouTube personalities have to say.

There are much more insightful, thorough, and intelligent writers out there now that Apple is so big, so his aloof everyman blog isn’t too insightful since it’s basically PR at this point.

john gruber i'm sure is a good person and well-meaning. but there is nothing that apple does that he can't spin positively. i remember i read his blog often and he made fun of the original samsung note for being "LOL HUEGEE" and noted that the large phones were the ones incorporating 4G LTE. and that the best selling phone was the iphone. so his guess was once they could miniaturize the LTE hardware phones would go back down in size. then when the iphone 5 was released he (of course) said the iphone feels so amazing. he at least did continue to complain about the size of the phone, and how he could no longer hold it with one hand.

rather than look at it and evaluate why people wanted big screens (they were very popular in asia at that point for media consumption) he kept saying, "oh apple only did it due to market pressure of people thinking bigger is always better! i am sure there are people who want a smaller palm-sized phone, but it was obvious the market was shifting and he just kinda made excuses for apple while somehow simultaneously denouncing the other phone manufacturers for making larger screen phones and blaming consumers for wanting bigger phones.

then when apple had that horrible ios6 release of maps where they just kinda switched over to their new apple maps app without telling google, (who had to scramble to create an app version of google maps that wasn't ready because they had no warning), gruber tried to justify it by saying apple had to release it for this version (ios 6) because by the time the agreement between google and apple regarding the google maps app/data expired, it would be half way through the ios 6 cycle, and surely apple can't release something in the middle of an ios major version release!

nevermind the fact that the apple maps initial release was complete garbage and you had no option of using google maps.. apple completely bungled the release to the point where apple _apologized_ and later basically fired scott forstall for the bungling of its release... but gruber defended its terrible rollout.

then there was the whole issue he had with the verge where he basically accused them of not mentioning that product were "apple-inspired." basically accusing them of an anti-apple bias...

but yes the apple watch writeup was so goddamn terrible. it is loving long too and literally just talks about how the apple watch is actually not technology, but a luxury item (or is it??! -gruber)

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

KingEup posted:

My mate got herpes encephalitis, was admitted to an intensive care unit and nearly died because he didn’t get it as a child.

We should all be very grateful our mum gave us herpes as kids.

Your mum also gave me herpes. :smuggo:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Gruber has terrible, terrible hardware opinions / knowledgeability and should not be trusted in this area. Software GUI and design, yeah, sometimes he has a point. Only. Sometimes. End of take.

In actual Mac tinkering news, mostly from the MacRumors forums:

* Many MRF users find that Apple's new 138.0.0.0 BootROMs for the 5,1 Mac Pro offers the following benefits other than AFPS booting and ability to run Mojave:

- Non-EFI AMD cards now connect at full 5.0 GT/sec rates instead of 2.5 GT/sec
- EFI and flashed EFI nVidia cards also now connect at full 5 GT/sec rates

Both of these were long-standing niggling issues that were fixed by Apple in this BootROM. It's as momentous as them releasing new firmware for Airport Express units, if not more so as it's a full-on six years old computer they bothered to update. Moreso, it's also certain all 5,1 MacPros will be getting this BootROM revision across the board if Mojave is installed.

One user reported that their GPU tasks running on a distributed project (BOINC) ran faster with the enhanced ROM.

* MRF users are not only adding NVMe booting to Mac Pro 5,1s and getting amazing speeds from them, they have found an M.2 to PCIe bridge card that allows NVMe drive access at nearly 8 GT/sec, one user got 3200 MB/sec reads, 2800 MB/sec writes on a single M.2 SSD. Pretty good for a six year old tower..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 4, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Wait we're talking about diseases now?

Anyone else here still using a 2013 13in rMBP? I still have mine and I see no reason to upgrade, it still does everything I need it to (mostly logic, Abelton Live 9, and occasionally adobe audition and photoshop). I have a desktop that I use for these things most of the time but whenever I need to do field recordings or preform with it I have no complaints.

I also haven't updated since Yosemite because if I do I know it will break all my programs/applications and I don't see a single feature with the new operating systems that would make it worth upgrading. Also I feel like it'll just slow down my computer.

Ever since I upgraded to Lion on my 2008 polycarb macpro and then had to downgrade it to Snow Leapord because it was unusably horrible and broke everything I've been super hesitant to upgrade unless I have a good reason to do so.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

then when apple had that horrible ios6 release of maps where they just kinda switched over to their new apple maps app without telling google, (who had to scramble to create an app version of google maps that wasn't ready because they had no warning), gruber tried to justify it by saying apple had to release it for this version (ios 6) because by the time the agreement between google and apple regarding the google maps app/data expired, it would be half way through the ios 6 cycle, and surely apple can't release something in the middle of an ios major version release!

that's not how it happened at all. google wouldn't let apple use its maps for realtime turn-by-turn directions unless they could mine more data + other terms that apple couldn't agree with. apple wanted to stay relevant by having built in turn-by-turn and other new tech (vector maps, etc. google maps was still using tiled gifs lol) hence apple made their own mapping engine (it wasn't great-- true), but just lol at the thought that "they [google] had no warning"

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
haha remember when gruber made vesper and tried to gouge a bunch of people for a note taking app

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mad Wack posted:

haha remember when gruber made vesper and tried to gouge a bunch of people for a note taking app

I haven't been on iOS since 2012 when I bought a Galaxy Nexus (lol).

I missed out on a lot of this stuff honestly (do people even still jailbreak their phones is that even still a thing). Anyways I've been thinking about buying a 7+ from my company for like $100 is it worth it?

I remember when Apple maps came out my gf at the time tried to use it to navigate like 2 towns over while I was driving and we got so loving lost. It was literally like a 20 minute drive on one interstate and it hosed up so hard. Saying that "it wasn't great" is a huge huge understatement.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

apple is the most valuable company in the world by making the best selling consumer product in history and people still have these little bespoke blogs dedicated to this behemoth company just lmao

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

64bit_Dophins posted:

I missed out on a lot of this stuff honestly (do people even still jailbreak their phones is that even still a thing). Anyways I've been thinking about buying a 7+ from my company for like $100 is it worth it?

They're selling for $400 on Swappa so if nothing else buy it from your company for $100, try it, and flip it if you don't like it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Was I the only person in the world who didn’t have trouble with Apple maps, even at launch? I used it right from the beginning and it was fine. Or is that because I’m in NorCal and Apple took special care in that region for obvious reasons?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JnnyThndrs posted:

Was I the only person in the world who didn’t have trouble with Apple maps, even at launch? I used it right from the beginning and it was fine. Or is that because I’m in NorCal and Apple took special care in that region for obvious reasons?

I've used it with no problem since launch as well. Probably because I'm by a major city (Chicago).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

Mapping data varied wildly in quality. In a lot of areas it was fine, and in some areas it was embarrassingly bad. The latter accounted for a good deal of negative press and all it takes is for someone to have one bad mapping experience to not trust that app for the rest of time.

I only got burned by Apple's map data once, and yeah I was out in the boonies near Zion National Park and it thought our B&B was about 20 miles from its actual location.

edit: Apple's routing data has generally been good in the cities I've lived in, but business data isn't always great. I've probably updated hundreds of business' info at this point (pin not in the right place, or the business is permanently closed).

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 4, 2018

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Mapping data varied wildly in quality. In a lot of areas it was fine, and in some areas it was embarrassingly bad. The latter accounted for a good deal of negative press and all it takes is for someone to have one bad mapping experience to not trust that app for the rest of time.

From what I ran into, the Apple Maps problems came from the point-of-interest data. They took reasonably okay maps, then overlaid it with badly-curated PoI data sourced from places like Yelp.

The worst was that Yelp would often have a review page for what was really an event that happened at a place, not a place itself.

So when Apple pulled that data into their maps engine, it placed completely useless pins on the map. For instance, people left Yelp reviews for the World Series (for no other reason than overly prolific posters on Yelp get made Elite and get free booze at private events). Said World Series page on Yelp had the same address as the ballpark where it happened. So until it was cleaned up, there were two pins near the ballpark: one for the stadium itself, the other being a pin for the World Series.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
My problem with Apple maps is that the search was awful. You could search for something and it would give you a result of something with a similar name in a different state or country even. It was good if you knew the address already, though.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
poo poo, it still does that. I tried to get directions yesterday to a little Italian restaurant a couple miles away, and it cheerfully gave me directions to one of the same name that’s 878 miles away.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe they should hire the people who wrote kernel_task’s 100% memory compression algorithm.

(What is “compresses memory”)

A few major releases ago Apple introduced a new virtual memory feature which, as an alternative to actually swapping out to disk, will first "swap" by compressing pages and keeping them in RAM. It's faster than going to a disk, and in practice lots of programs have lots of memory that's very compressible, so it works pretty well.

The stats presented by Activity Monitor don't make much sense to me, though.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Last Chance posted:

that's not how it happened at all. google wouldn't let apple use its maps for realtime turn-by-turn directions unless they could mine more data + other terms that apple couldn't agree with. apple wanted to stay relevant by having built in turn-by-turn and other new tech (vector maps, etc. google maps was still using tiled gifs lol) hence apple made their own mapping engine (it wasn't great-- true), but just lol at the thought that "they [google] had no warning"

They were fighting over terms of the contract and they couldn't come to an agreement. The current contract was due to expire like 6 months after ios6 came out. But they didn't tell Google they were removing it with the release of ios6. So when that came out and Apple Maps ate poo poo, there was no way to revert back to using Google Maps since there wasn't already a separate app.

https://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/google-working-on-maps-for-iphone-ipad/

quote:

One reason that it will take Google some time to build the iPhone app: it expected the app with Google’s maps to remain on the iPhone for some time, based on the contract between the two companies, and was caught off guard when Apple decided to build a new application to replace the old one.

And also read the Cook apology.

https://techcrunch.com/2012/09/28/tim-cook-apologizes-for-apple-maps-points-to-competitive-alternatives/

quote:

While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

are we still arguing about herpes in here

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mad Wack posted:

Maybe he was onto something, because Bear is $15/year, Ulysses is $40/year, Drafts is $20/years, and people are all subscribing to these.

Vesper was what, a one-time purchase?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BobHoward posted:

The stats presented by Activity Monitor don't make much sense to me, though.

Memory Used + Cached Files = Physical Memory

App Memory + Wired Memory + Compressed Memory = Memory Used

App Memory = Physical memory that has been allocated to a process (i.e. active virtual pages), when you dereference a pointer you've malloced it goes here after potentially being decompressed or swapped in. The current working set.

Wired Memory = Absolutely unswappable, incompressible memory. Used by the kernel.

Compressed Memory = Memory that was App Memory but hasn't been recently used, so has been swapped out (taken out of active virtual page tables), but instead of being written to disk, has been compressed in-place for quicker swapping in

And for the columns ... Memory = Virtual memory allocated, Compressed Memory = Virtual memory compressed, Real Mem = actual active pages directly (and literally) in physical RAM, Private Mem = real memory only mapped to this process, Shared Mem = real memory mapped to multiple processes' virtual memory, Purgeable Mem = memory that has been given up by the process but has not yet been cleaned up

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Context, pivo, context. If you'd really read my post you'd know that I don't need a lecture about VM basics. I was merely saying that the compressed memory statistics presented by Activity Monitor aren't entirely clear. If the "Compressed" column for a process says 1.0GB, what exactly does that mean? Is it the size of the process after compression? Or is it the amount of that process' virtual address space that has been compressed? if so, how much physical memory is actually used to hold the compressed pages (i.e. what's the compression ratio)? They just give you this one number and it's not clear exactly what it means.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Memory chat is boring. Can we do herpes chat again?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BobHoward posted:

Or is it the amount of that process' virtual address space that has been compressed? if so, how much physical memory is actually used to hold the compressed pages (i.e. what's the compression ratio)? They just give you this one number and it's not clear exactly what it means.

Compressed Memory is in virtual space. Compression ratio isn't given - when it's compressed, it leaves app memory / active memory and gets put into the 'compressed' pool. It's likely dynamic (edit: I mean to say, if they're using Huffman, the tree is likely dynamic - use a default but optimize when you have cycles available + pressure)

Here's an example:

Memory - Compressed Memory ~= Private Mem

But for example:

That's at the same time. My *entire* compressed in-memory 'swap' is 2.1GB ... whereas 2.4GB of address space was compressed from that one process alone. Many other processes have Compressed in the hundreds of MB. So, Compressed << Sum(Process_Compressed), implying there's a heck of a lot of sparse address space being compressed.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 4, 2018

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The terrible search is easily the most frustrating thing about Apple Maps for me. Punch in the name of a business and it’ll show you some of the locations of that business around you, seemingly randomly selected. I searched for Michaels yesterday and it gave me locations dozens of miles away while the one a mile from my house didn’t show up at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google maps isn't much better now. I mean, you 100% get more relevant results and I suppose that's a noteworthy win, but it works hard to push you towards whoever's paying to advertise. You zoom into an area and search for a thing, guarantee it'll pull the map back out and make the top result some big box chain.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Google Maps is absolutely better, it's the only G-Suite thing I still use that I haven't replaced with an Apple app.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

kitten smoothie posted:

They're selling for $400 on Swappa so if nothing else buy it from your company for $100, try it, and flip it if you don't like it.

I'm gonna buy it. It's so shiny and nice :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A 7+ for $100 is a v. good deal

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Steakandchips posted:

Memory chat is boring. Can we do herpes chat again?

The garbage Macbook keyboard is like herpes because there is no cure. You can manage it and live a fulfilling life while using it, but every once in a while there will be another outbreak when dust manages to get in there. It's a life of compromise.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mu Zeta posted:

The garbage Macbook keyboard is like herpes because there is no cure. You can manage it and live a fulfilling life while using it, but every once in a while there will be another outbreak when dust manages to get in there. It's a life of compromise.

:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

JnnyThndrs posted:

I didn't jump over to iOS until v7, maybe I missed the real launch shitshow but yeah I've never, ever had bad directions or missing things in Apple maps compared to Google. I actually kinda prefer it too. IME Google Maps tries to get too cute with micro optimizations to shave a minute here and there. That's helpful sometimes, but usually if I'm in an unknown town/neighborhood I just want the straightforward route.