Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
This is probably the DLC where I'll get the most stuff wrong.

Chapter 52: Sun Vulture and the Happy Trails

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
I always wanted to try and save the other caravan members to see if they added anything by staying alive, but was never able to take out the White Legs in time.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Negative_Earth posted:

I always wanted to try and save the other caravan members to see if they added anything by staying alive, but was never able to take out the White Legs in time.

I reloaded a couple of times to do the same, and I'm fairly sure they're hardcoded to just die to stray bullets!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Arrival_at_Zion posted:

There is no way to save the caravan members, as their deaths are scripted, and many of the ambushers can't be damaged or killed until all the other caravan members are dead.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
Well, that explains it. At least that dipshit Ricky got his, a shame about the others.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
First time I played this, after the first ambush I spotted Follows-Chalk at a distance and blew off his head from a safe range with a high-powered rifle, assuming he was a named enemy, completely breaking the DLC. :v:

I'm a genius!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

First time I played this, after the first ambush I spotted Follows-Chalk at a distance and blew off his head from a safe range with a high-powered rifle, assuming he was a named enemy, completely breaking the DLC. :v:

I'm a genius!

I did this exact same thing, then noticed I mysteriously failed like fifteen quests and they were all replaced with one "escape Zion" quest, so I reloaded from the start despite having no idea where I had gone wrong.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Negative_Earth posted:

Well, that explains it. At least that dipshit Ricky got his, a shame about the others.

Its a weird bait n switch. They flesh out the characters then immefiately kill them off.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its a weird bait n switch. They flesh out the characters then immefiately kill them off.

None of them were worth saving anyways. I guess except the old man. he was cool at least. Also love Sun's interactions with Chalk, kid's gonna grow a bit more patient as a result. so...success! Though I wonder if Joshua's heard of Sun by now or if he'll think Sun's just some newbie at the whole "kill the people" thing.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

vyelkin posted:

I did this exact same thing, then noticed I mysteriously failed like fifteen quests and they were all replaced with one "escape Zion" quest, so I reloaded from the start despite having no idea where I had gone wrong.

Same here. He jumped up and I Gauss-rifled him right in the dome.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Good to know New Reno is still the same hellhole however many years later

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
The languages the tribals speak are a pidgin/hybrid of languages from a place called "Res", presumably the nearby Hopi or Navajo reservation, and languages spoken by tourists who were there when the bombs dropped - English, and the Dead Horses have a lot of German in there and a tribe we'll meet in a bit have Spanish. So actually a bit of thought went into it. It's at least not intended to be stereotypical Native American.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130321033249/http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/195563538977166074

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 29, 2018

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

eating only apples posted:

The languages the tribals speak are a pidgin/hybrid of languages from a place called "Res", presumably the nearby Hopi or Navajo reservation, and languages spoken by tourists who were there when the bombs dropped - English, and the Dead Horses have a lot of German in there and a tribe we'll meet in a bit have Spanish. So actually a bit of thought went into it. It's at least not intended to be stereotypical Native American.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130321033249/http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/195563538977166074

Interesting point! I'll make sure to include this in the next update for everyone to see! Thank you!

On to Follows-Chalk, I remember that Obsidian had to make your encounter with him trigger right after he killed the White Legs shooting at you on the bridge, since players were accidentally killing him as he was standing still, waiting to be interacted with. Bit of an oversight to have him right next to a common enemy who was ambushing you just seconds before meeting you, but then again, they only had a month to make this whole DLC!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

ApeHawk posted:

Bit of an oversight to have him right next to a common enemy who was ambushing you just seconds before meeting you, but then again, they only had a month to make this whole DLC!

No wonder the DLC was so half-baked and unremarkable...also it's by far the shortest DLC so...I suppose that whole "only had a month to make the DLC" thing would be the big thing here.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have definitely managed to kill Follows-Chalk by accident by shooting at the White Leg and not stopping when he walked into view.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
My biggest gripe about this DLC is that it is a pale shadow of the real Zion. Apparently the engine can't support the kind of vertical distances necessary to actually recreate the park scenery.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

After three months of lagging behind, I caught up again! Yay! Thread is still very much :five: material.

As far as I know there is no real engine limit to how high you're allowed to build (some of the stuff in Operation Anchorage was pretty tall, and this is functionally the same engine as Oblivion and Skyrim, both of which had massive mountains to ascend). I'd guess it's more an artifact of having to build this in a month, and that it probably wouldn't be that much fun to climb up and down huge impressive vistas after the first time.

Oh, and put me in the "Accidentally killed Follows Chalk and ruined the DLC the first time" camp as well.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

aniviron posted:

After three months of lagging behind, I caught up again! Yay! Thread is still very much :five: material.

As far as I know there is no real engine limit to how high you're allowed to build (some of the stuff in Operation Anchorage was pretty tall, and this is functionally the same engine as Oblivion and Skyrim, both of which had massive mountains to ascend). I'd guess it's more an artifact of having to build this in a month, and that it probably wouldn't be that much fun to climb up and down huge impressive vistas after the first time.

Oh, and put me in the "Accidentally killed Follows Chalk and ruined the DLC the first time" camp as well.

IIRC, Anchorage actually bumped up against the limit of the engine

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Time to meet this Josh.

Chapter 53: Sun Vulture and the Burned Man

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 10, 2019

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

That huge pile of pistols always looked a bit silly. There's probably more of them than there are Dead Horses tribespeople.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

You mention blood shield's agility debuff when talking about the Healing Poultice but blood shield doesn't actually have an agi debuff. You probably meant Daturana.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really like the Survivor's story.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I could listen to Joshua tell me bible stories forever. What a great VA

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Qrr posted:

You mention blood shield's agility debuff when talking about the Healing Poultice but blood shield doesn't actually have an agi debuff. You probably meant Daturana.

I always miss something. Thanks, fixed!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Podima posted:

Me too! I think a lot of people do. Someone spent a long time thinking what it'd actually be like if the bombs fell, and crafted a compelling story about it. Touches like the EMP disabling the cars on the highway are turned into wonderful bits of story.

The main plotline in this DLC I could skip completely if it weren't for Szarabajka's voice acting. The story isn't actively bad like Lonesome Road, but much like LR, the only thing saving it is the person delivering the lines.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Podima posted:

I seems like that's the one thing that everyone likes about this DLC, regardless of what they think about it otherwise.

Personally I don't have too many bad things to say about Honest Hearts. I suppose if I had bought it when it came out it would've been way more lackluster, but since I bundle-bought the game with all the DLC's for like 5 euros I don't mind. I mean it could (and should) be way more fleshed out, but I really liked the terrain, some of the weapons in it, and Joshua is one of the coolest characters in the game. And if it's true they really had 1 month to do it, then drat.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
There we go. The busload of dead children complete with child-sized skeletons.

I am, as previously mentioned, about 99% certain that on release, Fallout 3's Springvale Elementary was full of those same child-sized skeletons stuffed into cages. As I was maybe two to three months into fatherhood for the first time, it was deeply unsettling. It was the first time I've ever had to actually set down a piece of media for a while and just walk away. No idea when it changed but they are def not there anymore.

Running into them in this DLC a good half decade later I was like "Oh hey, pretty sure they've done this before".

Graham is okay as a character, but they really went out of their way to build him up both in and out of the DLC and other than his VA he's just kind of meh.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

RickVoid posted:

There we go. The busload of dead children complete with child-sized skeletons.

I am, as previously mentioned, about 99% certain that on release, Fallout 3's Springvale Elementary was full of those same child-sized skeletons stuffed into cages. As I was maybe two to three months into fatherhood for the first time, it was deeply unsettling. It was the first time I've ever had to actually set down a piece of media for a while and just walk away. No idea when it changed but they are def not there anymore.

I'm nowhere near even being a parent, but even so, after the elementary school in Dead Space 2, I similarly had to take a several days to decompress. The explosing babies didn't mess with me nearly as much. Maybe it's something about the context.

Putting down swarms of undead grade schoolers is rather harrowing.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I really like Joshua Graham. There's just something about his manner of speech.

Zomborgon posted:

That huge pile of pistols always looked a bit silly. There's probably more of them than there are Dead Horses tribespeople.
Like Reaper, the Dead Horses haven't quite grasped the concept of reloading.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
May be they're all made by Tediore.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Given we're in a game with weapon degradation, that may well be the correct number of guns to prepare.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Glazius posted:

Given we're in a game with weapon degradation, that may well be the correct number of guns to prepare.

Is that better or worse than being able to create every part of a gun, but never assemble a new one because your pile of parts lack the platonic essence of gunliness? (Fallout 4)

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Anticheese posted:

Is that better or worse than being able to create every part of a gun, but never assemble a new one because your pile of parts lack the platonic essence of gunliness? (Fallout 4)

Homeogathic construction. Honestly guns in this game seem to need serious repair more often than I’d expect them to...

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

David Corbett posted:

Homeogathic construction. Honestly guns in this game seem to need serious repair more often than I’d expect them to...

Considering they're not regular guns--they're 200 year old guns--they're holding up pretty well in a dystopic hellscape.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Gun oil is lostech.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Considering they're not regular guns--they're 200 year old guns--they're holding up pretty well in a dystopic hellscape.

Some may be, others may have been seized from shipments sent by institutions similar to the Gun Runners who do, in fact, produce guns. I'm sure Caesar's Legion has at least one industry producing new firearms, since they can't just use stolen and repaired stuff forever. However, pre-war ANYTHING seems to be insanely durable to have lasted as long as it has in the environments you often find it: crumbling buildings may be crumbling but they're still mostly intact, weapons and armor may need some work done to bring them to working order but still work fine, power cells and generators are still humming along all these centuries later. Makes you wonder why they even HAD an energy crisis with how outstandingly durable and potent everything they made was!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, no kidding! Go look at some photos of Chernobyl, or abandoned Olympic parks, or any urban exploration stuff. It's all been abandoned about 30 years and it looks pretty much like post-war Fallout. That's pretty damned good to have buildings standing 200 years later with no maintenence!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Chernobyl (and Hiroshima, and Nagasaki) does have a lot more greenery than Fallout does, though.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

bony tony posted:

Chernobyl (and Hiroshima, and Nagasaki) does have a lot more greenery than Fallout does, though.

That is certainly one thing that's missing, though not from everywhere. Look at Zion Valley, after all! DC should have been completely coated in greenery, as should Boston, but calling Bethesda to account for visuals is a wasted effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
As I saw someone post in the Fallout thread once, 3 onward are all set about ten years after the bombs fell and lying about it. It’s not a BAD thing, aesthetically, it just is what it is.