Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TremorX posted:

So I just ordered one of those cheapy Direkt-Tek HMDs, couple of dumb questions since I'm new to VR outside of Cardboard.

I only really want it for racing games (iRacing specifically), as a cheap alternative to having to buy two more monitors.

I'm running a Ryzen 3 1300x w/ 16GB RAM, and EVGA1060 SC 6GB card.

Is my CPU going to be a problem since it says an i5 or better is required?
Will it work OK if I use an HDMI-DisplayPort adapter or does it need to be straight to HDMI? Or, I assume, does it not matter?
How long is the cord?

I run the direkt tek on an AMD FX-8300 and a 1050TI and iracing works just fine. It can’t do ultra settings but you can definitely hit good framerates in VR. A Ryzen and a 1060 will be even better.

Side note I just upgraded to a Ryzen 5 1400 and the exact same video card as you just this afternoon, so I’ll find out soon how much better the new stuff is.

I have never used a DisplayPort adapter but assuming it’s fully spec compatible with DisplayPort, an adapter should be fine.

I’d say the case BMO HDMI/usb is 4 feet? I’ve never measured so that’s my guess. The actual USB pigtail is maybe 6 inches off the end of the combo cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Any thoughts on Orbus? Thinking of picking it up in this summer sale, seeing as I'm in the midst of a craving for old-school mmo action. I liked it enough during the free trial, but I didn't have a chance to really try out group play and dungeons. Anyone have any tales of their experience? I'm just worried that if the gameplay is a bit lackluster in terms of group-play then it'd probably be best to stick with Skyrim VR, which I'm enjoying enough. Something I particularly had trouble with during my trial was the lack of damage feedback (which is a problem with a lot of VR games as they want to avoid jarring you into nausea, I suppose), and the lack of good enemy attack tells so you could block/dodge.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Some people like it but i thought it was real bad. You can hit the ? and find my review. Then hit it on my review post and read around the thread where we all talk about it when it had a free weekend.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I decided to try out Subnautica, and it seems like a really well put together VR side to it... except the pad and everything I pick up is an inch away from my face. Is there a setting that might fix that? I feel like my head is right above my virtual shoulders so I don't think the issue is that I just need to lean back.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Orbus is good and fun... If you have people you know IRL to play with, or are extroverted enough to group up with random people easily. It absolutely requires a group, the solo play is garbage.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

I decided to try out Subnautica, and it seems like a really well put together VR side to it... except the pad and everything I pick up is an inch away from my face. Is there a setting that might fix that? I feel like my head is right above my virtual shoulders so I don't think the issue is that I just need to lean back.

Subnautica vr is busted in that respect, but the blog post they put out recently said that the next update they do should provide options for changing the PDA & etc. distance

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

FutureCop posted:

Any thoughts on Orbus? Thinking of picking it up in this summer sale, seeing as I'm in the midst of a craving for old-school mmo action. I liked it enough during the free trial, but I didn't have a chance to really try out group play and dungeons. Anyone have any tales of their experience? I'm just worried that if the gameplay is a bit lackluster in terms of group-play then it'd probably be best to stick with Skyrim VR, which I'm enjoying enough. Something I particularly had trouble with during my trial was the lack of damage feedback (which is a problem with a lot of VR games as they want to avoid jarring you into nausea, I suppose), and the lack of good enemy attack tells so you could block/dodge.

They are doing a major revamp sometime early 2019 so you might want to wait around for that. restructuring the entire game around a single hub city so the current issue of the later areas being ghost towns and the fun social stuff just not happening gets fixed. Better art and new classes as well.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Twibbit posted:

They are doing a major revamp sometime early 2019 so you might want to wait around for that. restructuring the entire game around a single hub city so the current issue of the later areas being ghost towns and the fun social stuff just not happening gets fixed. Better art and new classes as well.

Yeah, I'll wait on Orbus for now and consider jumping in when the expansion comes out. As tempting as it is to get in while everything is fresh and new, I'm not really an Early Access guy and would prefer for them to stabilize their vision for the game and flesh out their systems and content before jumping in.

Other points brought up were pretty important as well: while I'm trying to get more social by playing group games, I already have trouble grouping for activities in normal games, and jumping into VR socialization is like jumping straight to extreme difficulty.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone know of sales ongoing or pending for the Rift?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probably best to hold out till Black Friday at this point. Thats my plan, outside of a freak sale from some retailer

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm selling one new and sealed with Touch for $380 shipped with original receipt (bought it two weeks ago but I don't want to keep returning poo poo this much, they're gonna call me on it one of these days) if you want. Not a great deal but saves on tax. PM me if interested.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

There is a moderate chance there will be another sale for the Rift around OC5 which is Sept 26-27.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Zone of the Enders 2 with Vive/Rift support unlocks in an hour :toot:

(Happy to be able to replay it every year flatscreen in Higher Defs now, zero expectation for the VR mode to be any good but fingers crossed.)

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
-

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Man I loving loved Zone of the Enders 2 back in the day and it comes out today with VR support. Probably gonna be a puke fest but I am very excited for this.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

Man I loving loved Zone of the Enders 2 back in the day and it comes out today with VR support. Probably gonna be a puke fest but I am very excited for this.

Well, it's a cockpit game so if you get motion sick you can just focus on the buxom anime lady sitting on your lap controls to feel better.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
We've got some Stormlands gameplay since they had that one day only thing outside of PAX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCAla4KZiuI

Looks really promising. I like stuff like guns changing how they work one vs two handed

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Sweet, lemme hop in ZoE2 VR to check it out quick over lunch

:suicide: PC had rebooted this morning or yesterday and was at the BIOS screen (every now again it doesn't boot up right and I have to hit OK and save in there cause POS board, no biggie), and now nothing seems to be happening when I plug or unplug from my Inateck add-in card even though the Etron host shows up in device manager. Guess I'm hardware troubleshooting instead of VR-ing for lunch, woo.

e: Sweet just had to :justpost: push at the card a bit and do a second or third reboot, back in business

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 4, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No worries, hardware troubleshooting is at least 50% of VR-ing, friend

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No worries, hardware troubleshooting is at least 50% of VR-ing, friend

25% of the other half is loving around with controls if my time with Elite Dangerous is any indication.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Cranked through the first few levels of Zone of the Enders 2 in VR over lunch, and thumbs up it was pretty groovy. Little woozy, I don't have an iron VR stomach and I've played the game a bunch before so I'm in the habit of constantly hammering dash to gottagofast which doesn't help - won't hit you as much if you're new to the game and playing on very easy/easy and not dashing like a madman I'm sure.

Only VR jankiness I saw to give a heads up about is it's gamepad only (motion controls wouldn't matter so no big deal), and when you start it up it'll only be on your monitor for a few screens until it prompts asking if you want to load up the VR support. There are some VR graphic level settings, bunch of VR gameplay options I didn't really look at, and by default does some of the edge of screen darkening on movement stuff which is probably good. There's a lot of auto-target support (maybe you can turn it off?) which is GREAT - for bad guys and objectives it auto targets and faces you straight at them, saving a whole lot of lurching around to look at things which is a godsend for motion sickness and getting lost with the standard lower VR FOV.

I'll have to do some back and forth between flatscreen to get a better feel for if I really think it's a good VR game, but seems pretty cool in the headset. I'm a humbug about that stuff though and found the only flatscreen converted game I'd rather play in the headset is Thumper as opposed to stuff like Beat Saber, Superhot, etc. that's designed from the ground up to be a VR experience. Worst case if you check it out, ZoE2 is a bomb-rear end flatscreen game and one I keep going back and beating again every couple years.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have caught up with the thread and thought this might help or interest some people, I dunno.
I read about three sensors a few pages back and I realised since moving house I haven't set up my third sensor, no reason, just not got round to it.
I haven't missed it at all though, and I was going to type out a description of my room but thought a pic would be better:

Hope that makes sense, I play driving games and flight sims / Elite sat at desk 2, and never lose tracking. I don't know wtf really but maybe this could put some minds at rest, I never have an issue like this and it's strange but cool to me.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

I have caught up with the thread and thought this might help or interest some people, I dunno.
I read about three sensors a few pages back and I realised since moving house I haven't set up my third sensor, no reason, just not got round to it.
I haven't missed it at all though, and I was going to type out a description of my room but thought a pic would be better:

Hope that makes sense, I play driving games and flight sims / Elite sat at desk 2, and never lose tracking. I don't know wtf really but maybe this could put some minds at rest, I never have an issue like this and it's strange but cool to me.

If you're just sitting then 1 camera is supposed to be sufficient as that was how it was originally designed and sold. The purpose of 2 cameras is so when facing forward the two touch controllers won't occlude each other, the third camera is designed to let you turn your back to the first 2 and still have good hand tracking.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Stick100 posted:

If you're just sitting then 1 camera is supposed to be sufficient as that was how it was originally designed and sold. The purpose of 2 cameras is so when facing forward the two touch controllers won't occlude each other, the third camera is designed to let you turn your back to the first 2 and still have good hand tracking.

Yeah it just surprised me when I thought about it, I sort of just set up all my crap in the new house without thinking about it, only one sensor sort of points at me, just thought it was interesting :v:

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
From what I understand, Subnautica still doesn't support the Vive controllers, right? The steam page says it requires the M+KB or a gamepad, but if the Vive controllers are supported now, I definitely want to get it.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Do any racing games run decently in VR? I've been trying Project cars 1 and 2 but even with the settings turned down it stutters sometimes. Dirt Rally fares better but it doesn't detect my wheel half the time. Just wondering if theres anything else out there to try? I have a gtx 1080 for reference.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Iracing, but that’s subscription. Assetto Corsa runs well for me on a not-1080

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have a 1080 and P Cars runs well enough, Assetto is a good call though

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That ZoE2 VR implementation isn’t great. It’s partially due to the game itself, but they put you right in the crotch of Jehuty and it’s some crazy tunnel vision as you’re constantly snapping from enemy to enemy to objective. Can’t recommend it as a VR game, but it still rocks as a refresh of an old old PS2 game on PC. All the cutscenes take you out of the cockpit and are projected on a flat rectangle in front of you surrounded in all black, which is understandable, just jarring.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Well that is definitely where the cockpits were, haha.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
It did always seem like they'd be awkward to pilot; I guess we finally get to find out how awkward.

Disappointing to hear about the cutscenes, though. It already did a lot of stuff with popup windows in the cockpit, so I thought they would at least keep that much and not just resort to screen-in-a-void.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Do any racing games run decently in VR? I've been trying Project cars 1 and 2 but even with the settings turned down it stutters sometimes. Dirt Rally fares better but it doesn't detect my wheel half the time. Just wondering if theres anything else out there to try? I have a gtx 1080 for reference.

Live For Speed. It's a smaller but well-regarded title. It has a free demo. Despite being old as poo poo, it's still supported and has a good VR interface IIRC.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also Megaton Rainfall got a VR update and holy gently caress is it fun to be Superman. Fighting the alien invaders, not so much. But still. You get to be Superman! Flying through space!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I've not done it Tom's, as I've not got a racing wheel yet, but P Cars 1 runs fine for me on medium settings with my 1060 6gb in VR, maybe there's something else causing load, or a weird bug/compatibility issue?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

metztli posted:

From what I understand, Subnautica still doesn't support the Vive controllers, right? The steam page says it requires the M+KB or a gamepad, but if the Vive controllers are supported now, I definitely want to get it.

I very much doubt it will ever support motion controls, the VR support is very basic. It looks amazing in VR, but various UI issues make it unplayable, imo. Post release I put a lot of effort into trying a playthrough in VR but eventually went back to flat screen since anything involving the inventory quickly gave me a headache. I know some people in this thread were ok with it though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

..btt posted:

I very much doubt it will ever support motion controls, the VR support is very basic. It looks amazing in VR, but various UI issues make it unplayable, imo. Post release I put a lot of effort into trying a playthrough in VR but eventually went back to flat screen since anything involving the inventory quickly gave me a headache. I know some people in this thread were ok with it though.

I think a certain subset of this thread is willing to overlook a lot of jank in the name of VR, stuff that wouldn't get a pass otherwise. I don't mean that as a knock against them, it's not bad to be able to enjoy more things. That said, I'm real glad both Oculus and Steam have decent return policies.

Zone of Enders is one of those games I think. I'd say pass on this unless you were already planning to get the 2d version, at least until it hits the $10-15 range.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Titanic VR is really good, the tours are worth the price alone I think. It's very cool and tugs on your emotions a fair bit, or it did me. I cried at E.T. just to give you a barometer.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^nice, I was very curious about it just for the possibility that it might give you an actual real sense of the scale of the ship (i.e. what was at the time the largest manmade vehicle ever)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

..btt posted:

I put a ton of hours into pre-release Subnautica VR and think it's fantastic. I don't like story in games though so I was entirely fine with missing cutscenes/voiceover narration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

El Grillo posted:

^^nice, I was very curious about it just for the possibility that it might give you an actual real sense of the scale of the ship (i.e. what was at the time the largest manmade vehicle ever)

There is a part on the tour where you are a tiny remote controlled submarine and you get to drift around what was the famous main staircase, because the wood has long gone it forms a chasm that extends from the top to bottom of the ship, that part in particular gives you a sense of how huge it was and it's super effective, really gives you another point of view on a subject matter that we all already know so much about.

There are two tours, one is from the point of view of a passenger when the ship sank, so you're getting on a life boat then get to see the sinking as you float nearby, that is great and gives you a sense of how calm it all was that night, it's unsettling and as the ship goes down I found myself really thinking about who and what was left on board.

The second tour is a tour of the wreck as is it today, it's an on rails tour with commentary and is really very good, the immersion that VR is famous for comes into its own to create a very real and sombre experience.

The game part is you exploring the wreck, retrieving artifacts and cataloging them, I played that a while back and it was cool but haven't tried the final version yet.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 6, 2018