Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

joat mon posted:

Defleshed.

That's right. He hasn't posted since the beginning of 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Tokelau All Star posted:

Speaking of old, someone in the "Eras of SA" thread in GBS was wondering if there were any Hot Dog Days or Dr Video Games still around. Pretty sure you're the only one.

Nah there are at least two others who post. One is a doctor and I think there's another lawyer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Nah there are at least two others who post. One is a doctor and I think there's another lawyer.

Yeah, i see another hot dog day somewhere, maybe AI or the bike thread? It is deeply confusing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

In before someone whines about trigger warnings and possible arachnophobics

There's no way anyone making this post is under age 50.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Vox Nihili posted:

There's no way anyone making this post is under age 50.

Keep up your ageist bullshit and I’m going to have to demand a safe space.

Unrelated can now beat all beat sabres songs on hard with a minimum score of C. But angel voices makes me want to die.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Keep up your ageist bullshit and I’m going to have to demand a safe space.

Ironically, you need to admit to being 40+ to qualify for protection.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Vox Nihili posted:

Ironically, you need to admit to being 40+ to qualify for protection.

That is discriminatory. loving boomers. And their whiny sellout lessers, gen x.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I like spiders who didn't get captured.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Continued legal funnies!~ (I promise, last ones, just wanted to show how other goons are reckoning with it)

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

sigh. Look, there's a good reason the people Rhodes defends are always guilty -- because it's just not funny if he's incompetently defending innocents (unless you're going for really black comedy). But if you start treating it as a genuine moral quandary the whole thing falls apart.

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah this is the last straw. I'm moving P&C to my scroll-past list. I evidently gave the author far too much credit when I said I felt he had a real understanding of the court system. I was getting all spun up to deliver a lecture to no one in particular about how and why it works the way it does but you know what this deepening quagmire of a right-wing rant of a strip isn't worth it. It takes too much energy to correct even people with decent politics who get their information from fuckin' Law and Order or some poo poo, and it isn't like Meehan is reading this thread. Probably.

In Debate and Discussion imbeciles were, no joke, screaming about the death of democracy when they thought Manafort would get acquitted because :siren:his defense used a reasonable doubt chart:siren:

NRVNQSR posted:

Obviously there's a false dichotomy in the strip; a defense attorney prioritizing his client isn't in opposition to justice, it's an important part of it. But if we give the author some completely unearned benefit of the doubt, isn't it reasonable that a lawyer might have conscience issues from successfully defending someone they know to be both guilty and dangerous?

Of course I get all my knowledge of legal ethics from Phoenix Wright, so hey.

(truthfully I really dislike the reasonable doubt chart that I saw getting bandied around in DnD, it's one of those floating spectrum bound trick ones)

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

gvibes posted:

Secured transactions was my favorite law school class (ok, second favorite)

I know the conversation has moved on to marveling at the olds, but:

You're a monster.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tax, corporate finance, and employment discrimination were my highest three law school grades.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Im a dirtbag criminal lawyer and I love Pros and Cons but what the gently caress do I know.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

*reads comic. Blinks*

Wow. Just... wow.

I mean. It’s not like making sure the constitutional right to a fair trial is protected is part of justice or anything...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

*reads comic. Blinks*

Wow. Just... wow.

I mean. It’s not like making sure the constitutional right to a fair trial plea bargain is protected is part of justice or anything...

I love it when you talk constitutionally at me :kimchi: also FTFY

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The poor man’s Lionel Hutz

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The poor man’s Lionel Hutz

Miguel Sanchez of Sanchez & Van Phoc?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you missed out on your chance to see a goon die because of goon doctor advice, in the stupid/small questions thread in A/T a goon is literally pissing blood and leaves behind a fruit punch colored toilet and is unsure whether or not to see a doctor or wait until tuesday because american healthcare is horrific.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you missed out on your chance to see a goon die because of goon doctor advice, in the stupid/small questions thread in A/T a goon is literally pissing blood and leaves behind a fruit punch colored toilet and is unsure whether or not to see a doctor or wait until tuesday because american healthcare is horrific.

Happened to me once, kidney stone was jostling around. Convinced myself it was dehydration from drinking and had a ton of water which diluted it, but then the pain kicked in that night and I got to enjoy the ER. 5k deductibles are no joke

I'm actually on a super cheap plan where everything but the ER is effectively. Er is 500 a visit though.

Plus, My Wife is getting over diverticulitis and ended up just going to speciality doctor that doesn't take insurance and paid in cash because he was the only person who could see her within a weeks time that wasn't the ER, which would have just referred to her to doctors with no availability anyways

The health system is horrible and even with an amazing plan its basically unusable for anyone who works or has kids due to the shortage of doctors

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mr. Nice! posted:

Good news is there’s two outcomes. One, it’s really really painful for a day or two but he recovers completely. Two, whatever’s going on gives him kidney failure and he needs dialysis so he gets on Medicare.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jesus. If I pissed literally any amount of blood at all, I'd be on the phone with Kaiser before the stream even stopped. Thank god I work for the government and everything cost me $10 or less.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Finally, a good day in court :unsmith:

"My post from olden times posted:

Christ. Just got done with a police interview with a client who is young, stupid (oh, so stupid) and generally let down by the system. Interestingly the most serious charge is resisting arrest, which over here nearly always translates to "violence against a servant of the state", which carries a three year max, doubled due to the rule of concurrence (multiple counts don't get added naturally, there's a limit there). Naturally, he's already talked to the police long before the parents thought to come to me, and it's all over but for the crying. The actual thing he's done is more like a series of not very serious misdemeanors, but he panicked when they picked him up and now he's looking at hard time, even if there was no actual damage done (the lower bar of violence against state servant is like seriously, spitting towards and missing, it's insane).

I'm gonna try to cut a deal with the prosecutor for a summary confession verdict, not that I'm legally allowed, but gently caress it, and see if I can do anything to help this dude. Probably can't. I'm glad I don't get too many of these types of cases, but they really make me question just what the gently caress I was thinking ever being interested in criminal law. Because that's where things really matter, you see... wish I could travel back in time and kick my own rear end.

They put him on trial for two counts of violence against a servant of the state and a whole loving slew of minor charges, looking at a six year max.

Acquitted. For the serious charges, anyway. No prison time.

I finally did my job for once. It is I, I am the dirtbag criminal lawyer in the OP.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 3, 2018

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nice piece of fish posted:

They put him on trial for two counts of violence against a servant of the state and a whole loving slew of minor charges, looking at a six year max.

I finally did my job for once. It is I, I am the dirtbag criminal lawyer in the OP.

Congratulations!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

If he had no priors and wasn’t in the “we know you’re a shooter and just can’t prove it to a jury” camp, our jurisdiction would have given him a diversionary program. Stay out of trouble and it all goes away.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

joat mon posted:

Congratulations!

That too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ActusRhesus posted:

If he had no priors and wasn’t in the “we know you’re a shooter and just can’t prove it to a jury” camp, our jurisdiction would have given him a diversionary program. Stay out of trouble and it all goes away.

Last month I blind pled a guy like that. He got 10 years in prison.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

Woof

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

Congratulations!

Thanks, I mean it too. This is one of those rare ones where it more or less worked out right by my estimation, though I would have sworn he was screwed because

ActusRhesus posted:

Priors, confession and a last minute video off a bodycam just to twist the knife. Like I said, dumb kid who confessed on pretty much all counts before I was even called.

So yeah, I get to be satisfied with this one I think.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How on Earth did you win that

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

joat mon posted:

Wow. That’s.... incredibly stupid. (The result. Not that you tried to blind plea). Here, It’s really rare to do time for just a misdemeanor. Unless “we’ll take off the felony but you’re doing time” is part of the deal. Especially if they are younger. We try to give AR or diversionary programs as often as possible.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sweeeet

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

How on Earth did you win that

Criminal law is my specialty, prosecutor ignored the question of subjective guilt which was a complicated issue for the biggest three counts and the prosecutor made a mistake I'm betting several prosecutors itt is gonna recognize instantly: He showed a tape of a bad arrest to a criminal court that is not used to seeing what happens when the police violently arrests a person. It's fine and clinical if the police witness is explaining it, how it happened and why. It's not so fine looking at a situation the lay judges have never experienced or seen, and they were probably shocked at the visceralness and blood and such. It really was a nasty arrest and it probably lost the prosecution all sympathy.

That said, I didn't "win" per se, he got community service on some minor charges he confessed to and he gets a chance to stay out of the system and stay away from his bad environment (which he's already escaped at this point) so I think there's a real chance he'll be part of the non-recidivist statistic. Which is what's best for everyone all things considered. So close enough to a win in my book. Would never have expected my strategy to work though. Not in a million years.

ActusRhesus posted:

Wow. That’s.... incredibly stupid. (The result. Not that you tried to blind plea). Here, It’s really rare to do time for just a misdemeanor. Unless “we’ll take off the felony but you’re doing time” is part of the deal. Especially if they are younger. We try to give AR or diversionary programs as often as possible.

Smart policy. A little leniency early on gets you a good chance to reform someone. For many the scare is enough. Glad to know there are parts of the US where the system makes some sense.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
A lot of the principles of practice from US seem and sound familiar to me, but the sentencing tariffs sound so bizarre and disproportionate.

Blow someone away with a shotgun in Canada and you (maybe) get 10 years.

Then I hear about other publicized cases where relatively serious offences end up with pretty light sentences. Difficult to reconcile, best I can figure is that the media doesnt do a good job / cherry picks sentences, and also that the states really loving comes down on offenders

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

terrorist ambulance posted:

A lot of the principles of practice from US seem and sound familiar to me, but the sentencing tariffs sound so bizarre and disproportionate.

Then I hear about other publicized cases where relatively serious offences end up with pretty light sentences. Difficult to reconcile, best I can figure is that the media doesnt do a good job / cherry picks sentences, and also that the states really loving comes down on offenders

I'd be interested in the take from the distinguished legal minds in the thread. I presume some of it would be down to the fact that most justice is delivered at the state level or lower and that leading to inconsistent outcomes. Throw in elected judges in some places for added fun and games. Sentencing guidelines and tariffs were set up to make things more consistent in a pretty decentralised system.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Elected judges always run on the 'tough on crime' slate, none of them run on the 'sensible on crime' one. Even appointed judges will have wide variation - we have 8 appointed lower court judges here, and a conviction on a medium level felony will have a massive sentencing disparity. We did a study on the sentences handed down for vehicular homicide once, and the results were so all over the map it was insane, even with similar circumstances.

The US is also much more into the Retribution angle of sentencing. There's a weird bloodlust for punishing criminals you don't see in other jurisdictions. Victims get given a megaphone and their own newspaper columns, and anything less than a maximum sentence is a slap in their faces, and AG/prosecutors will get publicly censured for it.

So you have the public, the judges, and the prosecution all on board for maximum punishment. The only mitigating factors are a prosecutor who is willing to take some heat to do the right thing, or who is just overworked and wants to get rid of cases that won't get him pilloried. Defense attorneys do what they can, but quite often are at the mercy of a society where 'rights of the accused' are no longer a big deal.

Sentencing guidelines were supposed to be to create predictable, unified sentences, but can be used to target certain parts of society.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

terrorist ambulance posted:

How's this for arbitrary?

In Texas, murder is a first degree felony. First degree felonies have a range of punishment of 5 years to life in prison and a fine not to exceed $10,000.00. Other first degree felonies include:

-possessing, obtaining, transferring, or suing 50 or more pieces of someone else's identifying information.
-possessing 200 grams of THC, including any adulterants and diluents. So if you have a little over 7 ounces of anything that contains THC (edit: with the exception of marijuana) it's a first degree felony.
-Causing a serious bodily injury to a disabled person, senior citizen or child.

Also, if you have two or more prior prison trips then your range of punishment on any third degree felony or higher is 25 years to life in prison. So if you possess (not sell, just possess) 1.01 grams of meth and have been prison twice you're looking at 25-life. Because the range of punishment is so huge if the DA/judge/jury doesn't like someone you can easily have a situation where a guy convicted for murder receives a much lighter sentence than someone on a nonviolent drug charge.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

GamingHyena posted:

-possessing 200 grams of THC, including any adulterants and diluents. So if you have a little over 7 ounces of anything that contains THC (edit: with the exception of marijuana) it's a first degree felony.

So like a pipe that weighs 10 oz with resin on it is a felony?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So like a pipe that weighs 10 oz with resin on it is a felony?

No, but if you have a brownie that weighs 7 oz with only 10 mg of THC then the law considers it as if you had 7 oz of pure THC.

This has lead to hilarious results when someone tries to flush 1g of meth down the toilet and the police stop him, pump out the bowl, and charge him with a gallon of meth.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Munin posted:

I'd be interested in the take from the distinguished legal minds in the thread. I presume some of it would be down to the fact that most justice is delivered at the state level or lower and that leading to inconsistent outcomes. Throw in elected judges in some places for added fun and games. Sentencing guidelines and tariffs were set up to make things more consistent in a pretty decentralised system.

I had a whole long :flame: typed out but I'm just going to recommend you Google "SB91 Alaska." You can learn about the utter disaster of removing all punishment for all crimes lower than home invasion burg has been for us.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

GamingHyena posted:

No, but if you have a brownie that weighs 7 oz with only 10 mg of THC then the law considers it as if you had 7 oz of pure THC.

This has lead to hilarious results when someone tries to flush 1g of meth down the toilet and the police stop him, pump out the bowl, and charge him with a gallon of meth.

That's kindof like crack charges/sentencing vs powder cocaine. For those that don't know, crack is made from powder by cooking it with baking soda or something to make it into smokeable rocks. 1g of crack by definition has less cocaine in it than 1g of powder cocaine. Crack, though, almost always carries with it a significantly harsher sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BigHead posted:

I had a whole long :flame: typed out but I'm just going to recommend you Google "SB91 Alaska." You can learn about the utter disaster of removing all punishment for all crimes lower than home invasion burg has been for us.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. It's interesting that this has gotten zero media press even though it's a huge deal