Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

The mid-range Denons are always a good bet. Audyssey setup is the bee's knees.

That said, I would hold off for another year or so if you could to see if HDMI 2.1 starts showing up.

I dunno, receivers are cheap as hell now, might as well upgrade now and then again in the future if it actually does show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea just grab a denon whatever is in your budget. Dont wait for features unless its something you MUST HAVE

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
I usually buy from accessories4less and get them at a good discount. I'm coming from a Denon that doesn't support the 4k or HDR passthrough. I doubt I need any of the newer features coming down the pipeline. I'll pick up a $299 one for the time being or just use the optical audio from the tv to the old one until I am ready.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I can't find it mentioned in the specs anywhere - does anyone who owns one know if the TCL TV's will operate on dual voltage? Only reference I've found is a few years old. If not does anyone have a recommendation for a TV that is dual voltage capable? Moving next year to a 220v country where electronics are expensive, so I'd like to bring a decent TV with me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Find the manual of the one you want. Should probably be listed there.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm also looking for a new midrange receiver. Sounds like Denon over Onkyo/Yamaha/etc?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I prefer Denon due to Audyssey. The others have auto-room setup built in as well, but I don't think the other systems are quite up to Audyssey's EQ room compensation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the auto setup on my Onkyo isn’t great, but it was a fraction of the price of a Denon with similar features, so I went that direction.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Find the manual of the one you want. Should probably be listed there.

TCL manual for the 617 series just says:

"Proper operating voltage:
Refer to the identification/rating label located on the back panel of your product for its proper operating voltage."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tyro posted:

TCL manual for the 617 series just says:

"Proper operating voltage:
Refer to the identification/rating label located on the back panel of your product for its proper operating voltage."

Go look at one at bestbuy. Itll be on the back label or next to the power cord plugin.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Go look at one at bestbuy. Itll be on the back label or next to the power cord plugin.

Yeah that was my next step if no one here was sitting next to one while posting and feeling charitable. :)

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I'm also looking for a new midrange receiver. Sounds like Denon over Onkyo/Yamaha/etc?

I think it at least used to be that Denon has better automatic sub eq, Yamaha provides better parametric eq if you want to take the time to play with it manually. Yamaha has the clearly best returns/repair statistics. I bought a Yamaha, though it seems that in US the pricing favours Denon. Amazon.de tends to have good deals on Yamahas around here.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Any recommendations on a cheap sound bar for a 43" tv? Included sub would be nice, but not a deal breaker. My entire house is 500 sq ft, so I don't need anything that is particularly good and my current Vizio 5.1 soundbar seems like overkill.

I looked at Wirecutter and I'm really trying not to spend 200 bucks on a sound bar when the tv itself only cost ~300 bucks (TCL is loving awesome btw)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gee, I felt the auto setup on my 676 was great

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

codo27 posted:

Gee, I felt the auto setup on my 676 was great

I have the 656 which is essentially the same thing, and I find the audio better when the EQing is disabled personally. It seemed to be a pretty common complaint on the thread about it on AVS (which was relatively level headed for a change). Obviously, it's gonna come down to what you have hanging off it and what your room shape is etc.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tyro posted:

Yeah that was my next step if no one here was sitting next to one while posting and feeling charitable. :)

Mine is the best buy variant but I expect it's the same hookup:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Disappointed but very helpful, thank you!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Massdrop was selling the 85" 900F for like $4500 yesterday. Nice looking TV.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I'm finally gonna update my ages old 32inch TV and I read these TCL TVs have built in Roku but I can't find one that does, is this TV okay or is it they just don't do it in the UK?

TCL 608 Tv

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

by.a.teammate posted:

I'm finally gonna update my ages old 32inch TV and I read these TCL TVs have built in Roku but I can't find one that does, is this TV okay or is it they just don't do it in the UK?

TCL 608 Tv

HDTVTest just reviewed a US TCL and said cause licensing something or other with the Roku chipset they aren't available in the UK so you basically have to move up to a Sony (dunno model offhand x900 series?) to get as good a set.

:911:

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
Oh good info thanks! I like the idea of streaming stuff from my Nas to my new TV and since the PS4 has taken a turn for the worst I wondered if you could get smaller TVs with Plex or something built in

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Buy a Shield, streamers best friend

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

codo27 posted:

Buy a Shield, streamers best friend

Nvidia shield? It good for that? Is it the same as a steam stream box?

I'm thinking this TV now, any thing particularly wrong with this?

Samsung tv

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

having finally just upgraded to a TCL R615 from a Sony CRT TV, how annoyed is everyone with the dirty screen effect? everything else certainly is nice.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

If it still matters, I was in a similar boat a few years ago and learned that all Bravias will operate on dual voltage, and say so on the back of the TV, even if their spec sheets only list the proper voltage for the region they're in.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

eshock posted:

If it still matters, I was in a similar boat a few years ago and learned that all Bravias will operate on dual voltage, and say so on the back of the TV, even if their spec sheets only list the proper voltage for the region they're in.

A lot of devices are like this. Switching power supplies (most supplies outputting DC voltage in the last 30-40 years) are really easy to make tolerant of a huge range of input voltages and frequencies so I'm sure the economies of scale of not having to make 2-4 different models for all the major power variants in the world is probably worth the little bit of additional cost per device.

I find that as a general rule devices that take a standard IEC 60320 style power cord tend to support all common home mains power variants. Obviously there are some exceptions to the rule so don't blame me if your device blows up, but if the vendor sells even a similar product in both the US and Europe it's probably a pretty safe bet that the power supply is universal.

The main technical reasons I can think of for a device to not be world-compatible would be if there are components that actually use the mains voltage (most non-LED lighting) or frequency (clocks and timers of all sorts on non-computerized devices).

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 3, 2018

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
How much am I going to regret purchasing the tcl 55s405 vs a 6 series? I'm not very particular when it comes to picture quality, I mostly want something I can watch sports and the occasional movie with, and saving a couple hundred while furnishing a new home will go a long ways towards other purchases.

TCL 55S405 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTGM5I9/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_.rFJBbMT48TKN

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Highbrow Slick posted:

How much am I going to regret purchasing the tcl 55s405 vs a 6 series? I'm not very particular when it comes to picture quality, I mostly want something I can watch sports and the occasional movie with, and saving a couple hundred while furnishing a new home will go a long ways towards other purchases.

TCL 55S405 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTGM5I9/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_.rFJBbMT48TKN
This is the exact TV I bought a few months ago (just in time for the World Cup) and I've been super happy with it. The picture quality is surprisingly nice, it just doesn't do much with HDR.

If you do pick one up, use the mobile app to turn off Noise Reduction in every picture mode you use and start with settings like this. I set my sharpness to 0 and didn't have to fiddle with much else.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This is the exact TV I bought a few months ago (just in time for the World Cup) and I've been super happy with it. The picture quality is surprisingly nice, it just doesn't do much with HDR.

If you do pick one up, use the mobile app to turn off Noise Reduction in every picture mode you use and start with settings like this. I set my sharpness to 0 and didn't have to fiddle with much else.

Awesome, thanks!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Highbrow Slick posted:

The 4-series was solid for its price last year, but if I were you I’d get the 5-series, which is the 2018 line of the same model, and I’m guessing can’t be more than $50 more expensive?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

qbert posted:

The 4-series was solid for its price last year, but if I were you I’d get the 5-series, which is the 2018 line of the same model, and I’m guessing can’t be more than $50 more expensive?

The 517's got a little better color gamut and it's brighter, but it's also $100 more. I probably wouldn't bother spending more if it's not something with reasonable HDR highlights and local dimming like the 6 series.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Basically, buy a 4 series if you need a replacement of a 1080p tv and you really don't care about UHD.

Otherwise, buy a 6 series.

I suppose a case could be made for buying a 5 series as a dedicated gaming TV since stuff like local dimming is usually turned off or really limited in game mode to get as fast response time as possible.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So I guess I should buy a TV before the tariffs hit, looking through the thread it seems a TCL is the way to go, but what I'm not sure about (pictures and listed specs seem to contradict each other) is if I'll be able to hook up an N64 to one. As best I can tell the 1080p models will and the 4k won't?

Use case will be playing N64 and switch games, with Netflix a distant 3rd, so 1080p is probably sufficient, but it feels bad to buy one when the 4k models are like $30 more.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

ItBreathes posted:

So I guess I should buy a TV before the tariffs hit, looking through the thread it seems a TCL is the way to go, but what I'm not sure about (pictures and listed specs seem to contradict each other) is if I'll be able to hook up an N64 to one. As best I can tell the 1080p models will and the 4k won't?

Use case will be playing N64 and switch games, with Netflix a distant 3rd, so 1080p is probably sufficient, but it feels bad to buy one when the 4k models are like $30 more.

I've no idea how well this particular one works but I've used active converters like this to use old electronics with equipment that's ditched analog inputs.

There's more than a few people posting reviews about using it with an N64, actually. Also, keep in mind that since it's active it needs power from a USB cable so you may need to devote an old cell charger to powering it.

Strabo4 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 6, 2018

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://m.hexus.net/ce/news/audio-visual/122003-lg-oled-tv-test-shows-burn-in-just-4000-hours/

Some concerning results there from a burn-in test for LG OLED panels. LG rate 30,000 hours before burn-in becomes problematic but some of these screens are getting burn-in after 4,000.

That's only a couple of years of typical use. I'm still really reluctant to put thousands towards something I'd have to be wary of in this way.

I sometimes play games for extended periods and a lot of the channels I watch have constant logos visible.

I'm also worried that my family will absent-mindedly leave the TV on for hours when they go off somewhere, adding to the wear and year.

The advantages of OLED are great but I still can't shake the feeling that I might be better with the Samsung Q9FN. I understand the disadvantages there but the burn-in report above just has me worried.

Any thoughts on that report?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

To piggyback on the above post, anyone care to weigh in on QLED vs. OLED?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Without a whole lot of knowledge on the details, I'm gonna say QLED: Empty Samsung Marketing Garbage?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The burn-in stuff doesn't bother me at all because I haven't seen anything that actually mimics real world usage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you are worried about OLED burn in, just save a but load of money and buy a X900F. Samsung's TVs are still severely overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

LG rate 30,000 hours before burn-in becomes problematic

Seems a lot of sites are getting this wrong

30,000 hours is the HALF LIFE of the panel. At 30,000 hours it will be at half the brightness of a new panel.