Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

The response Bongo Bill and SMG and a handful of others have gone with is instead "NAH LOL UR DUM. ITS TOTALLY CORUSCANT CAUSE THERES ONLY ONE CITY PLANET AND NOBODY CARES ABOUT PLACEMATS LOOOOOL"

I would like to point out that I haven't called you dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

homullus posted:

Jivjiov: Star Wars is about multimedia continuity! But wait, why are the lasers in this movie still the wrong color? And Kylo Ren's scar is different than it should be. . .
The Story Group [making subtle gesture]: You don't see any lasers that are the wrong color. Kylo Ren's scar was always that way.
Jivjov: I don't see any lasers that are the wrong color. His scar was always that way, because canon means continuity.
The Story Group: A conscious decision to make Jakku look exactly like Tatooine is just a strange coincidence.
Jivjov: It's just a coincidence. This officially licensed item agrees with me.
The Story Group: You can continue not watching movies critically.
Jivjov: I can continue not watching movies critically.
The Story Group: Move along.
Jivjov: Move along! Move along!

"Analysis will do fine."

"What, do you think you're Pablo Hidalgo or something? Analysis doesn't work on me! Only canon! No canon, no deal!"

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Intelligence is knowing that Coruscant and Hosnian Prime are two different planets.

Wisdom is knowing they're the same planet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

GastonEatTheEggs posted:

Intelligence is knowing that Coruscant and Hosnian Prime are two different planets.

As I told SMG repeatedly, two planets filling the same thematic role does not make them the same planet.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel your pain jivjov. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read this thread.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Jakku is Tattooine! The New Republic is monarchist! Darth Vader is secretly a good guy who wants to bring communism to the masses!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
Oh god, I skipped five pages and this is still going on.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

IX is going to have a battle on Tatooine and celebration on Coruscant.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

Oh god, I skipped five pages and this is still going on.

It's always going on. It's the Star War that Star Wars is about

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Poe wasn't a Stormtrooper, Finn was.

We skipped over this but woah woah woah. At what point in the movies does anyone specifically say Poe was NEVER a stormtrooper? Makes you think.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

Jakku is Tattooine! The New Republic is monarchist! Darth Vader is secretly a good guy who wants to bring communism to the masses!

There is no Pablo Hidalgo!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

I've posted Wookieepedia articles

lmao

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Bunch of Lit majors: If they are thematically the same then they are the same!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Raccooon posted:

Cined is a forum made up of mostly college educated cinephiles and its largest thread is where they endlessly dissect a straightforward children's movie.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

I skipped five pages
Why? It's hilarious.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Controversial opinion: Jakku is not Tatooine lmao

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Cined is a forum made up of mostly college educated cinephiles and its largest thread is where they endlessly dissect a straightforward children's movie.

We've done very little actually talking about the movie here, regrettably. Mostly we've been trying to determine whether it's possible to talk about movies without going through the intermediary of a canon management group.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The fun is over, gas

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

GastonEatTheEggs posted:

can we get a transcendental galaxy brain version of this

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Raccooon posted:

The unfortunate thing everyone is missing is Star Wars is not even on the level of low level lit. Like, actual literature might incorporate two similar and thematically linked locations in order to compare and contrast. The argument people are legitimately making is that Star Wars doesn't even really attempt that because apparently the authors are just real bad at their jobs.

Like, the people who are saying Jakku and Tatooine are the same are being super generous to Star Wars. People like jivjov just won't take that life line and insist that Star Wars is actually just uninspired trash after all.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

The unfortunate thing everyone is missing is Star Wars is not even on the level of low level lit. Like, actual literature might incorporate two similar and thematically linked locations in order to compare and contrast. The argument people are legitimately making is that Star Wars doesn't even really attempt that because apparently the authors are just real bad at their jobs.

Like, the people who are saying Jakku and Tatooine are the same are being super generous to Star Wars. People like jivjov just won't take that life line and insist that Star Wars is actually just uninspired trash after all.

the idea that jakooine represents the state of the galaxy in each trilogy was great

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, I'll just go ahead and say it, since I'm not going to get the satisfaction of seeing jivjov use his eyes.

Coruscant has lots of domes. Even its tall narrow spires are pretty rounded. For all that these are mind-bogglingly massive skyscrapers, they look kind of stubby:

The ones on Hosnian are all sharp right angles. There seems to be less metal and more stone, too. I might've accidentally talked myself into believing that they were different planets all along.

Yeah I'd say Hosnian looks like early, Victorian inflected Art Deco. Coruscant is late Art Deco, edging in to Streamline Moderne with plastics and polished surfaces.

Which is odd, because late Art Deco (and its attendant lofty, proud vision of gleaming progress) ended as a movement because of WWII. It's the perfect style for pre-war Coruscant, and it's odd that post-war Coruscant (Hosnian) didn't get the appropriate architectural update. Instead they went backwards in time for their style?

Honestly Hosnian mostly looks like the original McQuarrie Coruscant concepts, for when it was supposed to appear in ROTJ:

The one significantly different TFA concept for Hosnian that I'm aware of is this one by James Clyne:

Which obviously borrows from the McQuarrie Coruscant piece below (done in 1995, it appears?), but in a very smart way.

Those stark conical towers work much better for an updated, post-war Coruscant imo - you've obviously still got the wealth and power and knowledge, but all the exuberance and idealism has been stripped away, leaving a close to purely functional core. Like what happened in actual post-war architecture. Also, maybe that design language would have been different enough to make the planets more obviously distinct settings, especially since we only see Hosnian for a few seconds before it's blown away.

Another missed opportunity was that we never really see Hosnian in its "natural" lighting, before everything goes neon-red kaboom. The Clyne concept has this it-just-rained feeling, and all the other Hosnian concept art does too - cloudy, misty, foggy, overcast. If we saw the dominant color palate of Hosnian first, something neutral or cool, with a sort of wet sleepy feeling, and then it actually shifted to neon red as the beam lights up the sky, we'd get more of a sense that something drastic and unexpected is happening.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 4, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

is there any piece of concept art from TFA that isn't significantly more interesting than what we got?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

is there any piece of concept art from TFA that isn't significantly more interesting than what we got?

IDK I like the version of Jakku being a destroyed planet because a major empire rebel battle happened there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Isn't the concept art basically always more interesting than what ends up on screen? Because, you know, it's watercolors on paper and no one has to build a physical set of it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Small brain: Hosnian Prime was blown up in TFA
Big brain: Coruscant, capital of the Hosnian system, was blown up in TFA
Galaxy brain: Hosnian Prime was blown up in TFA, in a scene shot on Coruscant, the Vancouver of planets

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

We've done very little actually talking about the movie here, regrettably. Mostly we've been trying to determine whether it's possible to talk about movies without going through the intermediary of a canon management group.

I wrote about Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi, pointing out stuff that Star Wars fans have missed despite their having watched the films potentially dozens of times.

Like, Luke offers Jabba a pile of cash and to turn a blind eye to his operation, so long as Jabba promises not to cause trouble for the Republic. It’s pretty messed up!

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 4, 2018

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
What did Coruscant look like when it was put in the special editions? Iirc it appeared in the shoe horned in scenes showing people celebrating the destruction of the second Death Star in ROTJ.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dr.Radical posted:

What did Coruscant look like when it was put in the special editions? Iirc it appeared in the shoe horned in scenes showing people celebrating the destruction of the second Death Star in ROTJ.

That was actually a third location of the galactic capital called uh (consults official Disney guidebook which retails for 69.99) Parnasius 7. They move the capital every 20-ish years apparently.

Yes I've bought a different $100 Lego set for each of those locations, why do you ask?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

In the PT, do they ever really explain how the Jedi temple is funded? Do they get money from the Republic for being ambassadors or something? The Jedi have no worshippers so where is that dough coming from?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raccooon posted:

In the PT, do they ever really explain how the Jedi temple is funded? Do they get money from the Republic for being ambassadors or something? The Jedi have no worshippers so where is that dough coming from?

Kidnapping and ransoming children

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Kidnapping and ransoming children

I busted out laughing at this

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raccooon posted:

I busted out laughing at this

You gotta know your strengths as an organization.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Now we have fourteen Star Wars theatrical features, I'm considering doing a movie marathon with friends. Should I do them in chronological order of release?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It still flabbergasts me that people don't understand that Star Wars isn't real and canon is meaningless when talking about the movies.

It's such a simple thing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Raccooon posted:

They seem to be part of the government. So I'd assume taxes.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Raccooon posted:

In the opening crawl of TPM it is established that they act as secret agents of the galactic chancellor, so I would assume they get funded by the government. The fact that they are a monastic order obviously gets them good publicity, but it's made clear pretty early on that a Jedi represents the threat of deadly force and inspires terror.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, I'll just go ahead and say it, since I'm not going to get the satisfaction of seeing jivjov use his eyes.

Coruscant has lots of domes. Even its tall narrow spires are pretty rounded. For all that these are mind-bogglingly massive skyscrapers, they look kind of stubby:

The ones on Hosnian are all sharp right angles. There seems to be less metal and more stone, too. I might've accidentally talked myself into believing that they were different planets all along.

The Coruscant we see get blown up in TFA is, what, fifty or sixty years distant from the one we see in the prequels? And it’s been the formal capital of the Galactic Empire for much of that time. Probably got pointier.

It’s like how Tatooine looks a bit different now that Jabba’s dead and a massive space battle rained debris down across its surface decades ago.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The fun is over, gas

You would say that, person suspiciously named Pablo.

Guy A. Person posted:

That was actually a third location of the galactic capital called uh (consults official Disney guidebook which retails for 69.99) Parnasius 7. They move the capital every 20-ish years apparently.

Yes I've bought a different $100 Lego set for each of those locations, why do you ask?

What? Jivjov, is this true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm loving the idea that the planets aren't the same and the sequel trilogy just sucks so bad that they haven't addressed these incredibly crucial locations at all and just won't bother to. Star Wars fans are like "hey so uh what's going on at Tatooine, the planet where Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker were born and that represents the systematic failures of the Republic?" ST: "lol i dunno, who cares, anyway heres another desert planet that looks the same"