Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dr. Abysmal posted:

With any lucky BioWare will be put out of its misery with Anthem.

Nah, SWTOR is still plodding along and the dev team behind will probably still be called bioware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Do you accept this quest?
—absolutely!
—I guess so

That's what the interview made it sound like, yeah. Your choice is whether to be a hero, or a hero who's a dick to people.

They also said that the world of Anthem is all jungle, all the time. There are mountainy jungle bits, and ruins overgrown with jungle, and the odd swampy bit of jungle, but it's all jungle. In their words, they wanted to make a beautiful game world first, then worry about diverse environments.

And I'm disappointed by the lack of companions and yes even Bioware romances in their popcorn level writing. Bioware has traditionally been the only game in town if you want to play a gay lady in a big name game.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Dr. Abysmal posted:

With any lucky BioWare will be put out of its misery with Anthem.

I think EA preemptively put out a thing saying that Bioware's future won't hinge on Anthem's success, so whatever their next game will be what kills them probably

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

That's what the interview made it sound like, yeah. Your choice is whether to be a hero, or a hero who's a dick to people.

They also said that the world of Anthem is all jungle, all the time. There are mountainy jungle bits, and ruins overgrown with jungle, and the odd swampy bit of jungle, but it's all jungle. In their words, they wanted to make a beautiful game world first, then worry about diverse environments.

It sounds a lot more like "shitshitshit, we need to finish and ship! Uh... cut everything except the Jungle biome!" to me.

Don't forget that part of their supposed lore is the Anthem of Creation randomly reshapes the terrain At Random (ie; an excuse for when the Developers patch content in). That doesn't really look impressive if you're just doing one biome, it just means you're reshuffling existing terrain and art assets.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
hey remember in Andromeda where a dude is in jail because he murdered a guy

and later you find out that he didn't murder him, he shot at him and missed but a Kett murdered him

and then your choices are "well we gotta either let him go or not tell the truth and keep him in jail for murder!"

because they forgot that like, attempted murder is an actual crime

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

hobbesmaster posted:

Do you accept this quest?
—absolutely!
—I guess so

Ah the Bethesda approach

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Pattonesque posted:

hey remember in Andromeda where a dude is in jail because he murdered a guy

and later you find out that he didn't murder him, he shot at him and missed but a Kett murdered him

and then your choices are "well we gotta either let him go or not tell the truth and keep him in jail for murder!"

because they forgot that like, attempted murder is an actual crime

This was extremely good

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
It was like how Mac Walters didn't actually kill Mass Effect even though he tried so they had to free him half way through Andromeda to be project lead

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It was like how Mac Walters didn't actually kill Mass Effect even though he tried so they had to free him half way through Andromeda to be project lead

"Well he can't possibly make it worse than it already is after the team wasted three years on procedurally-generated planets."

"...Why'd our sales go right off a cliff right after the game launched?"

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lol the ends were so bad people are talking about them a decade later and they were like “eh at least this guy can get product out the door”

The :gary: animations are Andromedas ends

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had the great idea to try MEA again. First I had to restart the game four times to get my face looking halfway decent in motion/while talking. Which is great because in glorious Mass Effect tradition, you can't skip most of the intro.

After accepting a face that's still mildly derpy (it's not as bad as on release but faces are still bad in this game from 2017), going through the prologue is basically full time :psyduck: because the story is so dumb (broken visors, "oh wow something happened in the past 600 years, surprise!" and Cora the Asari weeb, eg.).

I do like to ignore the plot and do some exploration, so I did some of that, but before I could check out the optional remnant place on the prologue map I walked near and activated a mission that puts up a "can't leave this area or we'll just reload" bubble because it has ~plot~. The only way to do the optional objectives now is reloading a savegame from before the mission trigger.

Except you can't manually save in missions in this dumb game even with the latest patch, and I made the mistake of playing the mission parts for too long (in order to see if they would end and let me run off again), so the game overwrote all the autosaves from before the mission and the last save that's not stuck in plot hell is the prologue start with boring cop dude :suicide:

I'm not going try to play MEA again.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lets not forget that EA has Origin Premier

I have a long term origin sub (the 30 dollar one) that i've cancelled and uninstalled after playing the few games i want, but lol at the difference between 14.99 a month a 4.99 a month being 9 games and some DLC packs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
EA is making some big assumptions about their audience if they think they can sell a subscription to get discounted DLC and other useless poo poo for all their games. Mass Effect is really the last EA game series I've bought and I haven't bought anything from the company since 2012, so why would I pay a subscription to get discounted prices for Battlefieldfront games?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Well he can't possibly make it worse than it already is after the team wasted three years on procedurally-generated planets."

"...Why'd our sales go right off a cliff right after the game launched?"

their facial animations are procedurally generated in MEA, a million variations between happy, sad, and painful grimace, the game never knows exactly which one to pick, and invariably picks the wrong one. Like the facial animations in this game are so loving bad its insane.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe they took the category of faces Witcher 3 handcrafted and then forgot to use the algorithm that picks the correct expression.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arcsquad12 posted:

EA is making some big assumptions about their audience if they think they can sell a subscription to get discounted DLC and other useless poo poo for all their games. Mass Effect is really the last EA game series I've bought and I haven't bought anything from the company since 2012, so why would I pay a subscription to get discounted prices for Battlefieldfront games?

I paid $5 to play command and conquer generals for a couple hours, then I played some Sims, Dragon Age: Inquisition (though I think I owned it??) some other poo poo, then got bored with them a couple days later, which was a far better deal than buying them all for like $60 or whatever.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe they took the category of faces Witcher 3 handcrafted and then forgot to use the algorithm that picks the correct expression.

Playing Witcher 3 I’m constantly amazed by the subtlety and nuance they convey; a little eyebrow twitch, a sly smirk, slightly narrowed eyes at just the right moment... I have no idea how you Code all that, but it works amazingly well. So well that even when they fail and I’m momentarily taken out of the game it just makes me appreciate how seamless it normally is.

MEA on the other hand

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jokes posted:

I paid $5 to play command and conquer generals for a couple hours, then I played some Sims, Dragon Age: Inquisition (though I think I owned it??) some other poo poo, then got bored with them a couple days later, which was a far better deal than buying them all for like $60 or whatever.

I either have poo poo satellite connections when I'm at home or limited data when I'm living away, so it's not really an option for me. Gotta love Canadian internet service.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DarkHorse posted:

Playing Witcher 3 I’m constantly amazed by the subtlety and nuance they convey; a little eyebrow twitch, a sly smirk, slightly narrowed eyes at just the right moment... I have no idea how you Code all that, but it works amazingly well. So well that even when they fail and I’m momentarily taken out of the game it just makes me appreciate how seamless it normally is.

MEA on the other hand

They have an extremely robust animation suite and decent procgen system. A lot of what CDPR does is going back over the procgen by hand, to perfect it. Bethesda and Bioware expect the tech to do all of the work.

So the engine spits out a baseline for a scene, then one of the devs goes in an makes sure the eyebrow twitch is in time, adds the sly smirk for effect, and replaces narrow_eyes_3 with narrow_eyes_5 because it fits better.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Adding little eyebrow touches to my witch loving scenez

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They have an extremely robust animation suite and decent procgen system. A lot of what CDPR does is going back over the procgen by hand, to perfect it. Bethesda and Bioware expect the tech to do all of the work.

So the engine spits out a baseline for a scene, then one of the devs goes in an makes sure the eyebrow twitch is in time, adds the sly smirk for effect, and replaces narrow_eyes_3 with narrow_eyes_5 because it fits better.

Meanwhile, Bioware is using an FPS engine that doesn't have an inventory system built in by default.

Not that I'm defending them dicking around for 3 years trying to make No Man's Sky for a theoretically story based game, and ALSO loving up the story.

But it does explain how some parts of this went so sideways from the very beginning.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Adding little eyebrow touches to my witch loving scenez stuffed horse rodeoz

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The next mass effect is gonna be so bad it kills all video games

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That was clearly a unicorn you cretin

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

The next mass effect is gonna be so bad it kills all video games

Nah. Anthem will do that first.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Mass Effect Andromeda was stillborn because of a hosed development process. It was "in development" for 5 years but basically everything we saw was developed in only 1 and a half years

It was never gonna be good

quote:

The development of Andromeda was turbulent and troubled, marred by a director change, multiple major re-scopes, an understaffed animation team, technological challenges, communication issues, office politics, a compressed timeline, and brutal crunch.

I actually really loved the concept of the game but just about nothing was executed well

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The space menu was kinda cool

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
It had lots of interesting pieces, but the end total was way less than the sum of its parts

Like, the not-Mako was fun to drive, environments were gorgeous, the hot-swap class system was a neat idea, combat and controls were competently done, just... none of it was interesting or fun

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And the UI was godawful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anthem is going to get delayed so they can crib all the ideas that CDPR put out with their 40minute Cyberpunk video.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anthem is going to get delayed so they can crib all the ideas that CDPR put out with their 40minute Cyberpunk video.

Namin my dude "Tha Tittay Carrier"

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

1.- Get a story

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Zzulu posted:

I actually really loved the concept of the game but just about nothing was executed well

One of the post-mortem articles say the basics of combat, including the jetpack was put in within the first few months.

The one thing they actually got kind of right was created in 2012.

Had they just stopped right there and made JUST the multiplayer, it probably would have been great.

Instead, 5 years later, multiplayer was designed by people who loved instant kills and decided shotguns should suffer a penalty for being used while moving.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I reinstalled the bad game and set the FOV as high as it goes (68 because lol why not go to 90?), and when I was watching my manryder run around i noticed that the animation rigging for legs is completely hosed up still. Like the torso acts like it is completely not attached to your legs. They literally have the torso as the centerpoint of the model moving through space and told the arms and legs to move in a way that gets you over obstacles with no limitations on actually how it *looks*. So running up and down stairs is a hoot, and your characters butt also looks like its detached from your torso, and your legs, because apparently they put an animation bone in your character's rear end, and then decided to let the procedural animation system do what the gently caress ever it pleased? God it looks so janky.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
andromeda bad

https://i.imgur.com/N3QATin.mp4

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 4, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's the same issue I have when I watch footage from the battlefront games. Legs that move in every direction but a static torso.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How'd you get this footage of me running, stalker.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Where's the gif of liam talking to ryder, walking to a room, then jumping through the walls of the ship into space?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My reaction when seeing that shouldn't be "huh thats not as bad as I remembered!"

Just need to go back to the OP of this thread for the stuff like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

exquisite tea posted:

How'd you get this footage of me running, stalker.

I'm from the ministry of silly walks