Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My Ops just detached from the Reagan. Wished I had asked him about that before leaving.

Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

I was a JO with that guy's CO. I'm so old.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Geizkragen posted:

I was a JO with that guy's CO. I'm so old.

You're alive!

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Hooyah new Navy!

Also, thanks for the boot advice. I'll ask my sponsor what to get whenever orders come.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Back from SERE, Maine has some real beautiful scenery, a real undiscovered treasure if you think about it.

I never want to go back to that goddamn state even if you drag me and pay a million bucks.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The good news is you never have to do it again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
SERE is the best thing I never want to re-experience.

Edit: and not only because I'm fatter now.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Godholio posted:

SERE is the best thing I never want to re-experience.

Edit: and not only because I'm fatter now.

Oh yeah for sure, it was really worthwhile training, like a few of the guys mentioned, it was really well executed and instructed. Im pumped I never have to go again that said.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
All of Pensacola is shut down for Gordon.

Hell yeah, no work.
No School.

Just chillin' at the Winchester and waitin' for this whole thing to blow over.

My buddy at Meade convinced some people in DINFOS to authorize him to write a fluff piece on a Navy Couple that CosPlay together. So they authorized DTS travel for all three to Atlanta with flight, rentals, rooms, and CMR/Per Diem for DragonCon.

All he had to do was buy a $140 ticket.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Your buddy is doing Navy right!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
And one of my friends in the command got killed in a motorcycle accident last night. Don't ride motorcycles, kids

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

maffew buildings posted:

And one of my friends in the command got killed in a motorcycle accident last night. Don't ride motorcycles, kids

Seriously, that blows and I'm sorry. Motorcycles scare the poo poo out of me, and we're in a risky enough small team unit as is, thankfully Noone (but the OIC) rides.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The important thing is we come together as a unit to get aggro about admin work

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

gently caress.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Someone has died on a motorcycle at every command I've been stationed, except my current one. We did have a guy that got wrecked on his sport bike by a drunk lady in a big SUV. It's been a year now and he's still regaining all of his motor skills.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JenJudson/status/1037323028579975171

Guess no questions for the boss man.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The most fantastic part of the news was it was predictably no fault of his loving own. I spent the morning alternating wanting to cry or punch someone

loving talk to people when bad poo poo happens, guys. I know that's a "no poo poo" thing, but don't bottle it up. Namaste.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

I’m really sorry man. Make sure you talk to someone and don’t drink while you’re mourning. I’ve lost three friends that I ride with since December, including the guy that took me on the flight deck for my first time, and talking about it with psych boss, surprisingly, really helped. If you need help don’t keep it to yourself.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Got with some mutual friends last night, our detachment from last deployment will get together sooner than later. Work has been pretty hands off with us, don't know if that is being sensitive or lackbof tasking. Probably lack of tasking, but whatever works

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

maffew buildings posted:

I lost my A-School instructor to a motorcycle accident a few years ago. He taught me so much about the real navy and was my first real goal to aspire as a sailor. I learned he died the day after I put on first class. gently caress motorcycles.

Null Integer fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 9, 2018

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Word is there was a big memorial ride for him today. I would prefer they like, all sold their bikes in memorial, but I guess that's not how bike bros roll

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Word is there was a big memorial ride for him today. I would prefer they like, all sold their bikes in memorial, but I guess that's not how bike bros roll

It’s a loving suicide cult.

They did the same thing for that dude who died running from the cops after graduating A school a few years ago.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Where my Tidewater GiP goons at? Everyone ready to die in the hurricane?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Does that include DC? Because I’m back in the PNW!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
My entire unit is up here for the VA shorties. Fun times and not at all why we came but whatever.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Does that include DC? Because I’m back in the PNW!

We'll get ours when the cascadia fault happens and everything west of the Cascades becomes the Pacific ocean.

Us East Cascades get oceanfront property though

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice and hot piss posted:

We'll get ours when the cascadia fault happens and everything west of the Cascades becomes the Pacific ocean.

Us East Cascades get oceanfront property though

Kitsap county is projected to become an island and I live at above 100ft elevation so it’s island living for me if we survive!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The Norfolk commissary was slammed this afternoon. Fortunately the package store had no line so I grabbed a case of water along with some booze.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Welp, stuck in a hotel for the hurricane.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The Norfolk commissary was slammed this afternoon. Fortunately the package store had no line so I grabbed a case of water along with some booze.

This is pro-level hurricane planning.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Rumor mill is that zone A is getting the evacuation order tomorrow, but the official emergency web site has crashed. :lol:

Guess I'll be packing and battening down my apartment tonight.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Rumor mill is that zone A is getting the evacuation order tomorrow, but the official emergency web site has crashed. :lol:

Guess I'll be packing and battening down my apartment tonight.

That's almost as DOD as the time I had an out of date certificate on a website that was telling me never to use out of date certificates.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This reminds me of when a hurricane hit during API. I lived with my wife in an apartment by Cordova Mall. One of my academy buddies came to stay with us to ride out the storm. We literally sat on the couch for like 4 days straight drinking beer and occasionally working on his RX-7 in between spells of rain and going out to buy more cases of beer. My wife wasn't thrilled. :)

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

DustyNuts posted:

Where my Tidewater GiP goons at? Everyone ready to die in the hurricane?

Wooooo!!!

Zone C here so I'm gonna ride it out.

Shipyards are shutting down, some useful numbers if anyone needs em:

BAE Shipyard weather – 757-494-4002

MARMC weather - 757 -400-7777

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I know someone in Hampton roads who lives in a tiny house right on the water. Not evacuating of course, because they're in Zone 3 for some reason.

Luckily the updated Euro model has the storm loitering at the coast, restrengthening, then heading east and south rather than north. So good for Norfolk, RIP the Carolinas. Still going to dump an intense amount of rain into southern virginia.

e; GFS has a fun prediction. Chaos, Chaos reigns.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 11, 2018

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I know someone in Hampton roads who lives in a tiny house right on the water. Not evacuating of course, because they're in Zone 3 for some reason.

Luckily the updated Euro model has the storm loitering at the coast, restrengthening, then heading east and south rather than north. So good for Norfolk, RIP the Carolinas. Still going to dump an intense amount of rain into southern virginia.

e; GFS has a fun prediction. Chaos, Chaos reigns.

It doesn't look that good for Norfolk, either.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
My HQ in Norfolk just closed shop and flew the coop. Guess who now gets to track down and do daily muster for 75 people scattered all over the North East and Midwest now? This guy.

Protip. If your command is in some sort of evac zone have a really solid EAP and evac locations, rosters and recalls already set up. Don't wait until the day before.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

King of Bees posted:

My HQ in Norfolk just closed shop and flew the coop. Guess who now gets to track down and do daily muster for 75 people scattered all over the North East and Midwest now? This guy.

Protip. If your command is in some sort of evac zone have a really solid EAP and evac locations, rosters and recalls already set up. Don't wait until the day before.

Just list them all as MIA and let them come back if they really want to. That's ~true love~

Also gently caress you if you're still in

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
"I dunno XO, I think they're all dead. Welp, good luck up there, Ill be fishing this weekend. Let me know if you need anything else." *Turns off cell phone*

11 months until terminal leave!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

King of Bees posted:

Yeah, our admin was scrambling this morning to get a plan solidified. A good muster/accountability plan was one takeaway that I got, the plan of "just call the SDO desk" doesn't work if the entire hangar is shut down.

Though I doubt it helps when a Facebook post is the first official notification we get of an evacuation order.