Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Get hosed.

I know I'm old now because I see cutesy gimmicky poo poo like this everywhere and wonder why they can't just provide content and leave it at that.

please clap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you don't engage with their brand then twas all for nought.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

pplease if my article doesn't get at least 100 fistbumps my family will starve

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm sorry I linked a hoax article. In my defense, I'm on vacation, and apparently so are my critical faculties. :smith:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ryonguy posted:

There were a few incidences during the dot-com boom where some companies paid janitors and kitchen workers with stock who ended up making out like bandits, and it seriously offended the SV types who hate the idea of untermensch becoming rich through no real effort.

"uh bluh heh I got you on this cherrypicked example of a single outlier" lol shut up

"No real effort." Janitors and kitchen staff. Jesus.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

anonumos posted:

I don’t think you “get” humans of late capitalism. Backbreaking manual labour can never be real effort compared to being a professional ideas guy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Blut posted:

Sadly, no. Unions have been very successfully demonized and undermined in the US. There are far too many temporarily embarrassed millionaires who think they have more in common with upper management than with their peers.

And when was the last time you saw a union portrayed positively in the media?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Blut posted:

Sadly, no. Unions have been very successfully demonized and undermined in the US. There are far too many temporarily embarrassed millionaires who think they have more in common with upper management than with their peers.

It's not entirely fair to paint this purely as those stupid proles working against their own interests, though. There's been a well organized and funded campaign to gut unions for decades, which has made it that much harder for unions to survive and for non-union shops to organize. Opinion of unions is in the gutter, but that's also thanks to unions being systematically neutered at the state and federal levels.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Paradoxish posted:

It's not entirely fair to paint this purely as those stupid proles working against their own interests, though. There's been a well organized and funded campaign to gut unions for decades, which has made it that much harder for unions to survive and for non-union shops to organize. Opinion of unions is in the gutter, but that's also thanks to unions being systematically neutered at the state and federal levels.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes, that is what I said in "Unions have been very successfully demonized and undermined in the US". The efforts of right-wing politicians, capital owners, and their owned media outlets have done massive damage to unions in the US unfortunately.

When I see interviews with American blue collar workers talking about how evil unions are and how management cares about them far more it always reminds me of a beaten wife talking about how her husband only hits her because he loves her. Its delusional.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe I'm just exposed more to the successes of new unionization efforts (particularly with grad students) than I am to failures, which I guess are just less spectacular.

Kyth
Jun 7, 2011

Professional windmill tilter

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe I'm just exposed more to the successes of new unionization efforts (particularly with grad students) than I am to failures, which I guess are just less spectacular.

Dog bites man va man bites dog. The very fact that a new union is news (and apparently spectacular news in your sphere) is evidence of what everyone else is saying.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

suck my woke dick posted:

I don’t think you “get” humans of late capitalism. Backbreaking manual labour can never be real effort compared to being a professional ideas guy.

That's right, because it's not scalable!!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anonumos posted:

"Sushi chef scenario" is a real thing said a lot about employee options.

Nevermind that the case it refers to was convincing someone to close their own restaurant

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

"Sushi chef scenario" is a real thing said a lot about employee options.

Nevermind that the case it refers to was convincing someone to close their own restaurant

It’s “Google chef scenario” or similar.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Wire Season 2.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is like when Journalism Twitter makes a big deal out of a news room unionizing. Who cares? Are they really even workers?

Marijuana fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 4, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Marijuana posted:

The Wire Season 2.

This is like when Journalism Twitter makes a big deal out of a news room unionizing. Who cares? Are they really even workers?

yes you idiot

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Can't wait to see capital brought to it's knees when The Onion writers go on strike.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Marijuana posted:

Can't wait to see capital brought to it's knees when The Onion writers go on strike.

Your understanding of unions seems pretty flawed.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Seems to me that having union newsrooms might make a big difference in the way workers' movements are covered but then I'm just a big old dummy

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

apokaladle posted:

Seems to me that having union newsrooms might make a big difference in the way workers' movements are covered but then I'm just a big old dummy

You're right! Capital is is freakin shook.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I don't care if it's loving bankers unionizing, unions own

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Marijuana posted:

Trabisnikof posted:

Your understanding of unions seems pretty flawed.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Welp, I'm sold, guess I'll stop trying to organize my workplace and industry because we're not turn of the century coal miners and sometimes bad things happen to folks even when they are in unions

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Marijuana posted:

Capitalists shuttering businesses when they unionize shows they are totally not afraid of them at all, I am a genius.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Marijuana posted:

They were never profitable from the beginning. Correlation does not imply causation.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

ryonguy posted:

Capitalists shuttering businesses when they unionize shows they are totally not afraid of them at all, I am a genius.

All those Walmart’s that saw unionisation efforts and then had water problems and then shut down and then sat on the land as a warning to others as they starved communities who had seen local stores priced out of the market, were just coincidences.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Exactly, those actions were just cover for the construction of secret Jade Helm internment camps.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Norma Rae, 1979

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

apokaladle posted:

Welp, I'm sold, guess I'll stop trying to organize my workplace and industry because we're not turn of the century coal miners and sometimes bad things happen to folks even when they are in unions

Actually, we're all 20th century coal miners because capital hasn't had an original thought in their head since the founding of civilization.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:coal:

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also you fucks need to see Sorry To Bother You, again if necessary

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

apokaladle posted:

Also you fucks need to see Sorry To Bother You, again if necessary

Why does anyone need to see that?

apokaladle posted:

Sure hasn't worked out that way in a lot of unionized news rooms. Don't presume Union workers have innate solidarity, union voters dismantled their own jobs all over the country since the 40s.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
is this the thread to talk about elon musk's ongoing mental breakdown?
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanmac/elon-musk-thai-cave-rescuer-accusations-buzzfeed-email

quote:

“I suggest that you call people you know in Thailand, find out what’s actually going on and stop defending child rapists, you loving rear end in a top hat,” Musk wrote in the first message [to buzzfeed]. “He’s an old, single white guy from England who’s been traveling to or living in Thailand for 30 to 40 years, mostly Pattaya Beach, until moving to Chiang Rai for a child bride who was about 12 years old at the time.”

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
He just cant stop it

quote:

In A New Email, Elon Musk Accused A Cave Rescuer Of Being A “Child Rapist” And Said He “Hopes” There's A Lawsuit

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanmac/elon-musk-thai-cave-rescuer-accusations-buzzfeed-email?bfsplash&utm_term=4ldqpho

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
For the first time I agree with Musk: I, too, want a lawsuit. :getin:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:same:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Too much meth. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving man.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:hai:

musk’s ego needs the reality check

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Elon please keep tweeting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Theranos is closing down. At least 1 billion in investments lost.