Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ceebees posted:

Uh, those are both things already. Clicking an empty slot highlights all things it can take, picking up and shaking a card highlights all verbs you can play it on.

Right, but clicking an empty slot also brings up two boxes, which might cover up cards. An option to automatically highlight possible interactions just by mousing over would be really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
I swear the only thing the nameless pawns are good for is killing.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AppleDan posted:

I swear the only thing the nameless pawns are good for is killing.

You can promote pawns, I didn’t realize it for the first... 40 hours, but it makes them marginally more useful.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I might have completely imagined this but I tended to send pawns as leaders on expeditions because it seemed like when bad stuff happened to people because I was unprepared for an obstacle, it seemed to happen to the first person. They made good bait to save the valuable people.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Glagha posted:

I might have completely imagined this but I tended to send pawns as leaders on expeditions because it seemed like when bad stuff happened to people because I was unprepared for an obstacle, it seemed to happen to the first person. They made good bait to save the valuable people.

This is how it works, yeah—if you fail an obstacle the first person in line dies.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Pirate Radar posted:

This is how it works, yeah—if you fail an obstacle the first person in line dies.

Yeah, I used to send hired randos on expeditions first in order to scout. Pawns are a limited resource, after all. After completing al three ascensions I now just have a list of expeditions and obstacles on hand.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Something I've noticed: Putting tantras into the study tile did nothing, no hint or anything like the books have. When I zoomed in to really look at the tantra cards I noticed that the little symbol on the scrolls looked exactly like the symbol on the card for "sanskrit scholar" so I put that card in with the tantra scroll and it allowed me to transcribe it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anything that needs translating has the usual warning on it.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

Anything that needs translating has the usual warning on it.

Putting a book into the study tile makes it say "HOLD ON BUSTER YOU NEED TO TRANSLATE THIS", scrolls only have the warnings on their tooltip I Just found out after hitting submit reply

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

And, first victory. Back on the back - log pile you go. This time I found it pretty easy all around. Though much more tedious since I never found the repeat peacock thingy. Would have been hell if I hadn't run a forge cult. Really, the innovation was to put all the dangerous verbs into the centre of the table as soon as I see one.
Now, maybe I'll read all the CIA stuff on the earlier pages. One thing I forgot to try: Can you recruit the patrons?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
After playing a lot more (and getting my first Minor Victory, you can probably guess which one) my only complaints are:

- Add an option to designate an area where all new cards go so they don't mess up my carefully arranged board (the dev said this is on his to-do list!)

- Add a "repeat until I tell you to stop" toggle for things like Going To Work.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

genericnick posted:

Now, maybe I'll read all the CIA stuff on the earlier pages. One thing I forgot to try: Can you recruit the patrons?

Cult talk with the patrons is just a commission offer if you haven't got one already. Basically "but enough about your hangers-on, mama has a serious jones for Winter".

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Patrons don't need to sell their souls and perform blasphemous rituals; they already have infinite cosmic power, more commonly known as "money."

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If they ever add a "go to work constantly" button, i may pick this up again.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

precision posted:

After playing a lot more (and getting my first Minor Victory, you can probably guess which one) my only complaints are:

- Add an option to designate an area where all new cards go so they don't mess up my carefully arranged board (the dev said this is on his to-do list!)

- Add a "repeat until I tell you to stop" toggle for things like Going To Work.

I'd like to add having the game remember where my cards go when I load a save instead of throwing them around randomly to this list.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

AppleDan posted:

Something I've noticed: Putting tantras into the study tile did nothing, no hint or anything like the books have. When I zoomed in to really look at the tantra cards I noticed that the little symbol on the scrolls looked exactly like the symbol on the card for "sanskrit scholar" so I put that card in with the tantra scroll and it allowed me to transcribe it.

Yeah, for some reason Sanskrit doesn't have the "this is written in Sanskrit and needs to be translated" popup like every other language, which I assume is a bug. Fortunately, anything named "Tantra" is Sanskrit, so it's easy to tell. Also if you try to research something and it just doesn't work, it has to be Sanskrit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's got to be so tricky to get a game like this balanced and working. Like, you can play it for a very long time with no possible win condition and you won't even know you have no win condition and you'll just think it's kind of a shallow Victorian Job Simulator (my wife did this the other day, asking me why it's called "Cultist Simulator" when there's no cult :v: )

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Doodmons posted:

Yeah, for some reason Sanskrit doesn't have the "this is written in Sanskrit and needs to be translated" popup like every other language, which I assume is a bug. Fortunately, anything named "Tantra" is Sanskrit, so it's easy to tell. Also if you try to research something and it just doesn't work, it has to be Sanskrit.

You can also just look at the books aspects and see there what language it's in.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
There's a patch... and it's rolled back due to a new bug.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

LordSloth posted:

There's a patch... and it's rolled back due to a new bug.

Back now

quote:

v2018.8.b.2

- nasty bug where closing a window *just as a card reaches a slot* destroyed the card is now fixed. Huge thanks to Chris P for fixing this fecker,
and to everyone who's sent detailed bug reports. Or any bug reports including mad chalk scrawlings, honestly
- Double-clicking a card in the Mansus should no longer destroy it
- Funds should now return to stack from expedition results
- Cards should no longer be placed beneath other cards by Collect All
- Sound volume slider fixed AGAIN. FINALLY. It turns out it worked in the Unity editor but not the built version
- Content and typo fixes; Unity version upgrade

and on the beta branch:

quote:

v2018.9.d.1

- A very limited preview version of the Dancer legacy (one victory, no ascensions, some other features missing) is available to everyone. Honestly I just wanted to get this patch live and didn't want to fiddle around with DLC. It'll be limited to Perpetual Edition owners / new DLC purchasers next time.
- The Season of Sickness will now also accept Fatigued Health, making Sickness a bit less menacing
- Fatigue now has Heart value, and Restlessness now also has Moth value (I don't really know why it ever didn't)
- Glimmering, Vitality and Erudition spawn more frequently.
- Cult Business and Expedition challenges can no longer have a 100% chance of success - max is 90%. Don't panic! See Wounds notes from 2018.7.d.1

That last one. Alexis you salty dick :negative:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a way to upgrade followers whose aspects don't align with your cult's aspect?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Is there a way to upgrade followers whose aspects don't align with your cult's aspect?

Cultist' aspect is decided by the individual cultist. You upgrade them the same way as cultist of your aspect, that is, provide the right amount of influence (3, 8, 16? haven't played for so long). However, you cannot level your cultist to the highest level that's outside of your cult's aspect.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

pedro0930 posted:

Cultist' aspect is decided by the individual cultist. You upgrade them the same way as cultist of your aspect, that is, provide the right amount of influence (3, 8, 16? haven't played for so long). However, you cannot level your cultist to the highest level that's outside of your cult's aspect.

I swear I've tried that, but the Start button just stays greyed out. Do you have to provide both your cult's aspect and the cultist's?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
No, but the totaled number it looks for is of your aspect type, so the cultist itself may not be providing much and thus may be harder to upgrade.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Technowolf posted:

I swear I've tried that, but the Start button just stays greyed out. Do you have to provide both your cult's aspect and the cultist's?

It only cares about your cult's aspect. If you post a screenshot we might be able to see what you're missing.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

it is impressive how he is doing the same type of decisions he did in sunless sea

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Going by the beta branch notes followers will get wounded, not die from failing challenges, with the wounds ultimately making them stronger. So I don't think this is just a 'gently caress your certainty' thing, though there might be an element of that.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

I wonder if that 10% failure chance applies to curses as well. It'd be a real pain to be moving through an expedition and have to roll the dice on an event that could end your run if you're unlucky.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Pirate Radar posted:

It only cares about your cult's aspect. If you post a screenshot we might be able to see what you're missing.
Unless you're running a Histories/Hydra cult, in which case it only cares about your cultist's aspect.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 3, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ephemeron posted:

Unless you're running a Histories/Hydra cult, in which case it only cares about your cultists's aspect.

Oh yeah whoops also this. I’ve never run a History cult myself so I missed this part

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Ephemeron posted:

Unless you're running a Histories/Hydra cult, in which case it only cares about your cultist's aspect.

Nah, then you can use any principle, as long as it is of sufficient strength. As soon as you have any lvl 8 lore, or a lvl 4 tool and corresponding lvl 4 lore, you can promote everyone to believer. It is still easier with the follower's principle, as they provide some of the aspect themself.

vetinari100 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 3, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Back now

and on the beta branch:

Yeah that's not particularly fun and kinda kills my drive going forward, i hope he reverts that.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
I am also not liking the DLC talk when the game isn't even finished. It is a nice bare bones implementation, but it still feels incomplete. That coupled with nothing much happening since the game was released doesn't fill me with confidence. The game is just so close to being good but the rough edges keep me from playing it.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The dev team has a roadmap with 3 major content patches planned here:
http://weatherfactory.biz/cultist-simulators-post-launch-roadmap/

Most of the new stuff, especially new game mechanics are going to be free. Only new legacies (starting background) are going to be paid.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I feel like failure chance is okay because of the also-introduced idea of cultists being able to recover from their wounds and actually become stronger and more interesting because of it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I get what they're going for, I just don't like that I can't just force a 100%. Mostly because I already think a lot of this game is a grind already, I don't want another source of random "oh hey lol do this again idiot".

I admit i'm probably in the minority.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The most boring part is grinding up the stats at the start.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think criticism of the grind is right, actually, at some point the game loses some direction for me other than grinding up to get more tools.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

pedro0930 posted:

The dev team has a roadmap with 3 major content patches planned here:
http://weatherfactory.biz/cultist-simulators-post-launch-roadmap/

Most of the new stuff, especially new game mechanics are going to be free. Only new legacies (starting background) are going to be paid.

The upcoming Dancer DLC includes Moth and Heart ascensions, so it's not just legacies
https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1035199514557259776?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

ThaumPenguin posted:

The upcoming Dancer DLC includes Moth and Heart ascensions, so it's not just legacies
https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1035199514557259776?s=19

Oh poo poo. Gotan Project? Ok, Ill buy. Really good contemporary tango group