Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Respawns on BF1 are atrocious. Is like you spawn with a dude aiming already at your head.

I admit that loads of BF4 weapons/attachments are samey compared to the weird BF1 stuff but 1's weapon balance is awful and some weapons are still broken as hell. Not even the M16a3 medics in BF3 are as broken as some assault weapons or the range for 1 shot body kills on scout rifles. I said it before, it doesn't help BF1 that half the servers are scouts and if you ever stop moving you're hosed. BF4 had skygods but there were more AA tools. BF1 planes should be weaker and not eat a hundred Burton rounds while they can still bomb you. If none else helps, a bomber can kill half a team in a single pass while in BF4 you could annoy them with lock-on weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Lambert posted:

Are you unable to join servers that are running this content? I remember not needing to download all of them, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Yeah I can't join the ones that require DLC's I don't have installed.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Respawns on BF1 are atrocious. Is like you spawn with a dude aiming already at your head.

I admit that loads of BF4 weapons/attachments are samey compared to the weird BF1 stuff but 1's weapon balance is awful and some weapons are still broken as hell. Not even the M16a3 medics in BF3 are as broken as some assault weapons or the range for 1 shot body kills on scout rifles. I said it before, it doesn't help BF1 that half the servers are scouts and if you ever stop moving you're hosed. BF4 had skygods but there were more AA tools. BF1 planes should be weaker and not eat a hundred Burton rounds while they can still bomb you. If none else helps, a bomber can kill half a team in a single pass while in BF4 you could annoy them with lock-on weapons.

Oh come on theyre made of plywood and canvas. If being a sky lord means flying high enough to avoid AA fire (which is probably less than 10% of the people Ive spawned with as a gunner) then call me Zeus.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

AMZ just straight up never sent me a code which is great.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the lack of destructible environments in BF4 was such a massive step back that I honestly dont get how the community gave DICE a pass on it

Guillermus posted:

BF4 had skygods but there were more AA tools. BF1 planes should be weaker and not eat a hundred Burton rounds while they can still bomb you. If none else helps, a bomber can kill half a team in a single pass while in BF4 you could annoy them with lock-on weapons.

More AA tools?? The entire support class is an AA tool, just look up and shoot at them

Literally the only class without some sort of anti air is the medic. I swear they could make a gun that disintegrates planes by spotting them and people would still complain

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was able to play the beta for about 10 mins, Ill get to spend some more time playing this afternoon. It looks like right now you can only create squads via the friends list before joining a game. No joining squads during a match. I played as a medic and the health pack wouldnt deploy, or I was doing something wrong. The game feels pretty flimsy, if that makes sense, not sure how else to put it. Will report back when I get to play some more.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the lack of destructible environments in BF4 was such a massive step back that I honestly dont get how the community gave DICE a pass on it

More AA tools?? The entire support class is an AA tool, just look up and shoot at them

Literally the only class without some sort of anti air is the medic. I swear they could make a gun that disintegrates planes by spotting them and people would still complain

Shooting a plane down with a gun that is not the Burton may end with you frustrated. I did the whole "shoot two planes with LMGs" when the fever passed and was basically "use AA gun until is almost disabled and then unload a hundred rounds and hope you get the kill" for hours.

One guy with normal bullets do nothing against planes and if it's a bomber it'll end with you getting killed in a matter of seconds. I'm not asking for a Dead Space 2 foam finger of death.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
The assault AA rocket gun owns.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Most bombers I see are flying turds. They do less for their team than scouts. It's very rare to have both a competent pilot and a competent gunner at the same time. Plus all it takes is one volley of rockets from the bomber killer and you're taken down.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Whelp haven't played a battlefield game since 3 and I'm hot trash now, that sucks. Game is alright so far though

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Battlefield V is gonna suck. :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RCarr posted:

:eyepop:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

RCarr posted:

Counterpoint: NEW TRAILER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZW4cPUIVf4

gently caress yes this looks amazing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Lotta conflicting messages about this game being good or bad!

I submit the following as evidence for both sides: It's made by DICE.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope this game gets to Burma. Watching the World at War episode on it makes the theater there insanely grueling. That jungle was some badass mean poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so just brits vs nazis so far? hmm. guess i will see how fun on thursday.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Did you play the beta? Everything about it feels wrong. Granted once all the maps/weapons/equipment/etc are available it may feel like a different game. I was just really disappointed in the way the beta played, and thats never happened before with battlefield for me. I hope Im wrong because I was really excited about BFV before this.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
How come some vehicles look like they have a second seat but there appears to be no way to swap to it?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RCarr posted:

Did you play the beta? Everything about it feels wrong. Granted once all the maps/weapons/equipment/etc are available it may feel like a different game. I was just really disappointed in the way the beta played, and thats never happened before with battlefield for me. I hope Im wrong because I was really excited about BFV before this.

what felt wrong about it?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

First impressions of the beta on X with a 1080p screen (4k broke while moving :() is pretty negative. Game somehow looks worse than BF1 and Narvik is a terrible map. Maybe I'm just tired of the same old formula though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

First impressions of the beta on X with a 1080p screen (4k broke while moving :() is pretty negative. Game somehow looks worse than BF1 and Narvik is a terrible map. Maybe I'm just tired of the same old formula though.

sucks. i have been hearing alot of mixed stuff about it gameplay wise. i wonder what the gently caress happened.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It's still extremely BF but something is missing, like something to make it "new."

I'm not cancelling my preorder yet.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what felt wrong about it?

Its hard to describe. Gunplay feels more arcadey, more CoD-ish. The graphics somehow look worse than BF4 and BF1. I dont get why DICE has such a hard on for contrast between pitch black shadows and blinding light. Everything is either too dark to see or too bright to see. Ive always had this issue to some extent with Bf games, but I CANNOT see enemies half the time, due to the crazy contrast of light/dark everywhere on the map. Im sure the beta will grow on me as I get used to it and learn the maps, but Im pretty underwhelmed so far.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rotterdam is a MUCH better looking/playing map. Wow

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RCarr posted:

Its hard to describe. Gunplay feels more arcadey, more CoD-ish. The graphics somehow look worse than BF4 and BF1. I dont get why DICE has such a hard on for contrast between pitch black shadows and blinding light. Everything is either too dark to see or too bright to see. Ive always had this issue to some extent with Bf games, but I CANNOT see enemies half the time, due to the crazy contrast of light/dark everywhere on the map. Im sure the beta will grow on me as I get used to it and learn the maps, but Im pretty underwhelmed so far.

did the costumazation gently caress up the outlines that bad? i was sorta afraid of that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I was having a pretty good time on Rotterdam but then had a glitch where I couldn't respawn in the dying minutes of a dead heat match. :( We then lost by five points of course.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

RCarr posted:

It’s hard to describe. Gunplay feels more arcadey, more CoD-ish.

Definitely agree, gunplay feels very floaty. It's hard for me to assess it too harshly though because not having played BF on PC since BF3 I am now straight trash and getting dumpstered by most players. Will agree it can be tough to see players if the lighting is too harsh, though that feels more like a feature to change areas you fight from.

edit: And the load times are slower than I would like on an SSD.

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 5, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

*scratch heads until it bleeds* this video is cool but has some red flags. Like mixing cutscenes with gameplay. Using the more flashy things, then repeat the same flashy things. Showing concept art to talk about a new game mode (I guest is now only a plan for the future and not even the code is written yet?, what development stage is this thing you are showing me loving concept art?).

the whole impression is this game is delayed, but they are not going to delay the release date, is going to be some Early Access game, minus the label. Maybe a good game even.

Edit:
the idea of concept art is kind of ridiculous, I understand and like the angle they are giving to the graphics, has a very small spin that is cool, but other than this small spin, is loving World War Two, we have real video of it and lots of movies and images to reflect from it. is not some fantasy land we need to visualize because we can't imagine it.

Tei fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 5, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If any pc user wants an early access code

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/new/?platform=pc&category=game-information&issue=availability

Click link above (You may need to sign in here, I didn't because I was already signed in. It might ask you later)
Click on Battlefield V
Choose platform
Choose "Codes and Promotions"
Choose "Invalid Code"
Ignore "did you get an error message? Fill in gibberish if you want for fun
Select contact option
Put in a subject field like "Wrong Code"
Ignore attachments
Click email now and you will get a code.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

RCarr posted:

This pretty much hits the nail on the head, for me. It all feels like a step backwards, particularly with regards to gunplay and overall graphics. I don't even mean level of detail on the graphics so much as... eh, I don't know how to describe it. Clarity?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

RCarr posted:

Haven't played it mate. But I do have a lot of reservations based on the footage, and feedback like yours. It does seem to be... just not as good as BF1. This new trailer looked a lot better, the map with the flower covered houses in the French countryside and the North African map look great. Really not been a fan of the Narvik footage at all. Everyone says Rotterdam is better, but I'm having trouble seeing it, but I also didn't like the look of Amiens until I played it for myself so I've learned not to judge maps from footage alone.

I hope it's good, and I'm in no matter what, but BF1 was as close to a perfect shooter (for me, and me alone) as it was possible to get. I do hate that so many people called for more customisation, more customisation and now I can barely tell which team someone belongs to at a glance. Hey, I liked the simplicity of 4 distinct class silhouettes per faction as I could spot enemy troops running across a field at 200m away, and know which type of soldier they were. I guess I'm back to looking for markers above their head to know if I should shoot them or not. (Jk, I'll just shoot everyone.)

I'm also a bit leery of this themed areas of battle per season which feels like a bit of an excuse to give us 4 maps at a time only. After 2 expansions in BF1 there were over 20 maps to rotate through and that was grand. If we're stuck with a small selection at a time then fatigue could set in quickly. We all have maps we don't like, and it's fine to sit through it with your mates knowing it won't come up again for another 5 hours in Conquest. What if it pops up again 90 minutes later though? Eek.

As I say, I'm in, I'm excited, but yeah I"ve got a bunch of things I'm worried about that I hope won't bother me in the actual game. Tempered expectations and all that. There certainly are a lot of small improvements I'm totally behind though. And worst comes to worst, I am That Guy who played the War Stories in BF1 to 100% completion, and then went back for multiple replays because they were Good and Excellent. I'll get my fun one way or another.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tei posted:

*scratch heads until it bleeds* this video is cool but has some red flags. Like mixing cutscenes with gameplay. Using the more flashy things, then repeat the same flashy things. Showing concept art to talk about a new game mode (I guest is now only a plan for the future and not even the code is written yet?, what development stage is this thing you are showing me loving concept art?).

the whole impression is this game is delayed, but they are not going to delay the release date, is going to be some Early Access game, minus the label. Maybe a good game even.

Edit:
the idea of concept art is kind of ridiculous, I understand and like the angle they are giving to the graphics, has a very small spin that is cool, but other than this small spin, is loving World War Two, we have real video of it and lots of movies and images to reflect from it. is not some fantasy land we need to visualize because we can't imagine it.

i like there are only 3 and half SP missions with one coming post game. like i am mostly playing for the multiplayer but loving lol. also i feel like they have a ton of content were cool ideas they wanted to implement and they announced a bunch of poo poo too early. because EA is EA, they have to release it this year instead of just releasing next year with more time in the oven.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Whats up with spotting? Does it not exist in BFV? Looks like pressing the spotting button now puts a little marker on the spot you were looking at, which turns red if an enemy is nearby. Are the days of spotting a guy and having him be highlighted with a Dorito gone? Say it aint so DICE.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Worried my controller was broke because i was getting thumbstick drift in the V beta. Played BF1 & overwatch to test but they were completely unaffected and it worked fine. Anyone else getting this? :iiam:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
It could be nostalgia but the last time I liked infantry combat was battlefield 3. I was hoping they would go back that way for this, based on some of the comments in the vid. But the impressions yall have shared seem not the case. Ill see when I try out the beta on the 6th but Im a little worried now.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

It could be nostalgia but the last time I liked infantry combat was battlefield 3. I was hoping they would go back that way for this, based on some of the comments in the vid. But the impressions yall have shared seem not the case. Ill see when I try out the beta on the 6th but Im a little worried now.

The problem with BF3 infantry combat is that the M16A3 existed and there was no reason to ever use anything else.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

RCarr posted:

What’s up with spotting? Does it not exist in BFV? Looks like pressing the spotting button now puts a little marker on the spot you were looking at, which turns red if an enemy is nearby. Are the days of spotting a guy and having him be highlighted with a Dorito gone? Say it ain’t so DICE.

The recon class has a spotting scope but yeah spotting is greatly scaled down, but that does make snipers even remotely more useful if they are actively spotting while sniping.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

The recon class has a spotting scope but yeah spotting is greatly scaled down, but that does make snipers even remotely more useful if they are actively spotting while sniping.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. What, and give up those sicknasty 300m headshots from spawn to let a filthy prole on the objective kill them instead?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Backhand posted:

The problem with BF3 infantry combat is that the M16A3 existed and there was no reason to ever use anything else.

There were a lot of great assault rifles. A3 was definitely one of them but I dont think it was even the most used. I had three or four that I would switch between depending on the map (G3 was my overall favorite though). Whereas in 4 and 1 I felt there were 1-2 clear favorites per weapon type that were overwhelmingly used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I think BF original netcode was not infantry friendly. But they have made it progressively better and better.

At the same time they try to tone down vehicle combat, but is a lost battle, because vehicle combat have no skill ceiling.

So they have fun infantry combat in a game that is not really about infantry combat. A frigate with rows for rowers.

This perpetual crysis fuel the identity of the game, I think, but is never going to replace CoD as #1. BF is always going to be #1 at being #2.