Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009

Immanentized posted:

I had serious problems with that book, the whole secondary plot was massively, massively frustrating.

Yeah, honestly, none of it was good. Even the action sets were just written like. "And then they shot the orks. And then they died."

It's at least another book down from my Humble Bundle backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Opentarget posted:

Just finished Roboute Guilliman: Lord of Ultramar, and man, dude is a nerd.

if perturabo weren't already the primarchs' token Model Train Enthusiast, guilliman would be

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Linnear posted:

Finished up Corax. It was a pretty lousy read, but the ending was quite sad. I think I'll just avoid Gav Thorpe forever.

Also finished up Horus Rising for the second time. I got the impression, perhaps wrong, that Abnett was still getting used to having Space Marines as the central theme of his writing as opposed to regular humans. It felt like he wanted to really talk more about Pistachio Keeler and all those other people I can't remember.

The first time I read this book, I was incredibly disappointed, because it seemed so boring compared to the fluff in the rulebooks. But now I can sympathize. You have to start the story somewhere and develop the beginnings somehow before going to the cool parts. Could it have been better, sure, but I guess the author did what he could with whatever constraints were put on him. An underwhelming beginning, all the same.

he talks a lot about keeler because she's aside from maybe the primarchs/malcador/the emperor the most important figure historically in the whole heresy and this was her introduction

Also I think Horus Rising is still one of the better books in the series and a fantastic first book, so to each his own I guess.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Opentarget posted:

Yeah, honestly, none of it was good. Even the action sets were just written like. "And then they shot the orks. And then they died."

It's at least another book down from my Humble Bundle backlog.

I've given up on the Primarchs series, everyone I've tried turned out to be not worth reading.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've been sick for a week, I had too much time on my hands so I went on a Chris Wright Black Library rampage, finished Slaves to Darkness, Lords of Silence, Vaults of Terra: Carrion Throne and Watchers of the Throne. Currently reading Jaghatai Khan, Warhawk of Chogoris.

Slaves to Darkness is fairly average, it gives some nice insights into the relationship between the chaos gods and Horus, also Lorgar finally gets his due for all his scheming. Really didn't like Lorgar's portrayal here, I feel it's not consistent with his portrayal in ADB's books.. Not a bad read but it's pretty much skippable as it does not add anything substantial, honestly.

Lords of Silence is great, as others have said, it's a good characterisation of a dull and not much explored legion. Vorx is the chillest bro. It's weakest point may very well be that it introduces a lot of characters and does not have the time to properly expand them all. for some stupid reason in my headthe sorcerer's demon raven familiar, who speaks with odd pauses between phrases, sounds like William Shatner's Captain Kirk and it amuses me to no end. . Reading this book while being sick myself was quite freaky at times. Recommended read.

I don't have much to say about either Carrion Throne and Watchers of the Throne that has not already been said, solid books.

I'm about one third into Jaghatai Khan, Warhawk of Chogoris and it's not bad, it follows the same broad characterisations that we saw in Scars but without the stupid bad asian accents. Also, Jaghatai and his closest guys love to troll the Imperial bureaucracy to no end.

Chris Wright was already a solid writer in my mind, I think his strong suit is that he strikes a good compromise between world building, engaging dialogue, character writing and action. He is not as good as peak Abnett or ADB, but I prefer one Wright instead of getting two Nick Kymes or Gav Thorpe.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Dantine ended being the best thing about Lords of Silence for me. The way his character just pivoted on a dime surprisingly worked so well after all his previous musings and such.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Just read through The Armour of Fate short story and the opening with Gulliman struggling with being stuck in his armour is surprisingly tongue in cheek. Guy Haley did a really good job of writing about how having a gigantic power fist and a huge pair of wings and halo stuck on your back for years might perhaps become somewhat annoying. Also having itches he could never scratch.

He should write similar for one of the Chaos guys who is half fused to their armour.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found a big stack of issues of Warhammer Visions at the used book shop. I was like, oh hey, a magazine of Warhammer models and art, cool, I will buy them.

They're all just pictures of models. No artwork or painting guides or anything. There's a couple pages of fan-submitted models and customs inspired by John Blanche, but beyond that it's all just the regular promotional models, like from White Dwarf.

What was the point of this magazine?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I found a big stack of issues of Warhammer Visions at the used book shop. I was like, oh hey, a magazine of Warhammer models and art, cool, I will buy them.

They're all just pictures of models. No artwork or painting guides or anything. There's a couple pages of fan-submitted models and customs inspired by John Blanche, but beyond that it's all just the regular promotional models, like from White Dwarf.

What was the point of this magazine?

I think it was from back when they were trying to re-vamp the WD magazine into an all digital thing. People reacted strongly that they loved the modelling aspect, so visions was put out as a half assed form of appeasement.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Just read through The Armour of Fate short story and the opening with Gulliman struggling with being stuck in his armour is surprisingly tongue in cheek. Guy Haley did a really good job of writing about how having a gigantic power fist and a huge pair of wings and halo stuck on your back for years might perhaps become somewhat annoying. Also having itches he could never scratch.

He should write similar for one of the Chaos guys who is half fused to their armour.

I like that they basically turned Bobby G into a phoniex lord. Pretty good story for a short too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

They just quietly shut it down after like a year or something. Might've been around when they revamped WD back to monthly basis instead of weekly.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

They just quietly shut it down after like a year or something. Might've been around when they revamped WD back to monthly basis instead of weekly.

I think you're right, I was flirting with getting back into The Hobby a few years ago while the whole White Dwarf thing was happening and it was a small (but vicious memorable) point against doing so.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Greataval posted:

I like that they basically turned Bobby G into a phoniex lord. Pretty good story for a short too.

How's this work? I totally missed it, though I'm not sure how the phoenix lords work.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Immanentized posted:

How's this work? I totally missed it, though I'm not sure how the phoenix lords work.

If I recall, as far as Phoenix Lords and shrine exarchs go, is that Shrine exarchs are the cumulative experience of the souls of prior exarchs guiding the current exarch, while a Phoenix lord will use the soul to revive the original lord/repair the armor, and the person in the suit is basically a meat puppet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH I think the Phoenix Lords are just the oldest living Exarchs. The Striking Scorpions had two after all.

Well, "living".

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
flipping through these old issues of Warhammer Visions, a lot of time they have Age of Sigmar models on rectangular bases. Sometimes with whole units of models all crammed together on one big base. I wonder what the deal is with that

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What if I told you... they ALL used to be like that?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah used to be with Warhammer Fantasy that you would get square bases to help line up the formations easier. They even sold large formation plates so you could move an entire unit in a tray

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Arquinsiel posted:

TBH I think the Phoenix Lords are just the oldest living Exarchs. The Striking Scorpions had two after all.

Well, "living".

My understanding is the phoenix lords are the original exarchs, the creators of that Aspect cult. As has been said their armour basically contains the Phoenix Lord's soul and overwrites that of whoever dons the armour.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah used to be with Warhammer Fantasy that you would get square bases to help line up the formations easier. They even sold large formation plates so you could move an entire unit in a tray

:thejoke:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MrNemo posted:

My understanding is the phoenix lords are the original exarchs, the creators of that Aspect cult. As has been said their armour basically contains the Phoenix Lord's soul and overwrites that of whoever dons the armour.
All soul stones contain the soul of the Eldar that wore them. Exarch armour contains multiple soul stones. Phoenix Lords contain a few more. The Striking Scorpions have had two Phoenix Lords, Arhra and Karandras, with Arhra apparently being the leader of the Incubi now.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Well, "living".

Definitely not living.

In path of the warrior, Karandras dies in battle and then his soul possesses the main character and takes him over.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
A better comparsion would be that RBs armor is basically a primarch sized terminator armor that functions as a dreadnaught.

Like I havent read the book but the whole I cant get out of this armor thing and it sucks is what dreadnoughts go through too. Its why a bunch of them freak out when they wake up or beg to not be put into the armor.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

There was a short story in one of the very early Black Library short story collections (Into the Maelstrom, I think?) which ended with a Space Marine tortured by Chaos Space Marines via leaving him inside a disconnected dreadnought core for decades/centuries.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

A better comparsion would be that RBs armor is basically a primarch sized terminator armor that functions as a dreadnaught.

Like I havent read the book but the whole I cant get out of this armor thing and it sucks is what dreadnoughts go through too. Its why a bunch of them freak out when they wake up or beg to not be put into the armor.

He eventually gets out of it though. He doesn't get out because Yvraine told him he would die if he took it off but then Eldrad was like "you might just get more emo since it's holding your soul together" and then he proceeds to strip..

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Oh, neat. Thanks!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Telsa Cola posted:

Who?

edit: Oh, Roboute?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

He eventually gets out of it though. He doesn't get out because Yvraine told him he would die if he took it off but then Eldrad was like "you might just get more emo since it's holding your soul together" and then he proceeds to strip..

keep going I'm nearly there

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

a lovely king posted:

keep going I'm nearly there

Robby got way into ASMR videos of picking up paper for a while there

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm about to spend 20 hours on planes. What should I get? Prefer Horus Heresy but open to any recent space wolves or fun space marine poo poo that is more recent. Have just read Prospero Burns, A Thousand Sons and First Heretic. All great. Enjoyed Fulgrim and Legion. That's basically all I've read except for the dire Dark Angels books and the first three which I assume you won't recommend anyway!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JBP posted:

I'm about to spend 20 hours on planes. What should I get? Prefer Horus Heresy but open to any recent space wolves or fun space marine poo poo that is more recent. Have just read Prospero Burns, A Thousand Sons and First Heretic. All great. Enjoyed Fulgrim and Legion. That's basically all I've read except for the dire Dark Angels books and the first three which I assume you won't recommend anyway!

Its not exactly recent, but for a single volume of Marine fun, I'd offer "Brothers of the Snake" by Dan Abnett. He's better known, and rightfully so, for the Gaunt's Ghosts and Eisenhorn books but I like Brothers of the Snake too. If you like BotS that should encourage you to get his other books as well which is all to the good.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

JBP posted:

Know No Fear, Betrayer, Unremembered Empire
Then hit Brothers of the Snake, Sabbat Crusade.
Download Prophets of the Waagh audio drama for a 3 hour break of madness

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 5, 2018

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

For the Horus Heresy, the logical choices would be Know No Fear, Betrayer, and Unremembered Empire. Read them in that order.

They're all by either Dan Abnett or ADB, and they follow up the First Heretic, being about the Word Bearer's assault on Calth/Ultramar and the Ultramarines response.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm going to grab Know No Fear and Betrayer since they seem like companions? I'll grab bots as well since it sounds like fun and Abnett is awesome. Thanks. I was originally just going to grab Know No Fear but Betrayer sounds rad.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
After reading and digging 'Scars', are there any other good White Scars books out there? 'Last Hunt'/'Path of Heaven' worth reading?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

susan posted:

After reading and digging 'Scars', are there any other good White Scars books out there? 'Last Hunt'/'Path of Heaven' worth reading?

If written by Chris Wraight, yes.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

susan posted:

I really dug Path of Heaven. Good Scars action but also some of the funniest Emperor's Children stuff in the Heresy. They're the primary antagonists and there's some great scheming stuff with them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Heh the new Cain book has a Xenos Inquisitor and Malleus Inquisitor arguing about which of the threats to the planet they are on is a bigger threat.

quote:

‘Just how reliable is this Sambhatain’s prediction likely to be, anyway?’
Amberley shrugged, with the usual aesthetically pleasing results. ‘I couldn’t say,’ she replied, which was hardly the most reassuring thing I could have heard. ‘Farseers’ abilities aren’t quite the same as a human psyker with precognitive abilities. Rakel, for instance, seems to pick up sense impressions, which are generally hard to convey verbally.’ Which, as understatements go, ranked somewhere around asserting that orks have a tendency to testiness. ‘Farseers, on the other hand, seem to perceive potential timelines directly, like the threads of a tapestry, and nudge events towards following the one they see as having the most beneficial outcome.’
‘Then perhaps we should just take it for granted that they’re going to win, and concentrate on the real threat,’ Vekkman said. ‘We need to root out whatever taint of Chaos exists here while the planet is still in Imperial hands, and eradicate it while we have the chance.’
‘Excuse me?’ Amberley turned a frosty glare on her fellow inquisitor. ‘I’m not handing over an entire world to a bunch of pointy-eared pirates to go chasing a handful of headcases who haven’t done any real damage yet, and probably never will.’
‘You’re missing the point,’ Vekkman said, reining in his temper with a visible effort. ‘All your eldar can do is kill the bodies of the faithful, and send their souls to the Emperor’s protection. If the heretics summon another daemon, a truly puissant one this time, it will devour those souls, damning billions of them to perpetual torment, and that cannot and will not be allowed to happen. Decree Exterminatus is an option for a reason.’
‘No one’s decreeing Exterminatus against Ironfound!’ Amberley expostulated. ‘Its strategic and economic value is far too great.’
‘That would be the option of last resort, of course,’ Vekkman said. ‘But if anything were to justify it, a daemonic incursion would. Compared to that, the eldar are a minor irritation.’
‘A minor irritation with an invasion fleet about to make orbit, and every chance there’s an army tunnelling their way up to the main hab zone even as we speak,’ I said. I turned to Amberley. ‘Though if Sambhatain’s really nudging events their way, it does sound as though we’re frakked.’

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

susan posted:

Jaghathai Khan: Warhawk of Chogoris, is the prequel to Scars, has low bolter porn content though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Angry Lobster posted:

Jaghathai Khan: Warhawk of Chogoris, is the prequel to Scars, has low bolter porn content though.

Does it have high intrigue and low politics among the fractious tribes of not!-Mongolians on not!-Mongolia planet?

Asking for a friend.