Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah are people just not doing pull-ups or what here

you're asking this on an internet forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This is why you gotta train in the VR missions first. Like MGS2 HD is the Substance version and comes with all of them which include a few that involve you mastering dropping from ledges and then grabbing them at the right moment before you fall.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

corn in the bible posted:

I literally never fell in a pit in mgs2, game is not hard

codenameFANGIO posted:

For context this how Vinny handles ledges in pretty much every game; https://clips.twitch.tv/NimbleAmericanWatercressNomNom

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The first Metal Gear has this great moment where Big Boss turns evil and starts directing you via codec to restart the game and run directly into pits. I wish they carried that over to MGS2 with the AI deliberately lying. At least MGS had the great torture scene and sure enough I gave up because I hadn’t saved since the ninja fight and replaying would mean Psycho, backtracking to get sniper, and fighting Wolf.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

al-azad posted:

The first Metal Gear has this great moment where Big Boss turns evil and starts directing you via codec to restart the game and run directly into pits. I wish they carried that over to MGS2 with the AI deliberately lying. At least MGS had the great torture scene and sure enough I gave up because I hadn’t saved since the ninja fight and replaying would mean Psycho, backtracking to get sniper, and fighting Wolf.

In MGS all the girls will laugh at you if you're fighting the Hind-D with a Mono TV and not a Stereo one.

This will be repeated in Death Stranding where at one point Norman will break the fourth wall and chastise the player for not playing on a 4K TV.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

In MGS all the girls will laugh at you if you're fighting the Hind-D with a Mono TV and not a Stereo one.

This will be repeated in Death Stranding where at one point Norman will break the fourth wall and chastise the player for not playing on a 4K TV.

I did not know this. A 20 year old game is still surprising me.

I’m still waiting for a “check the back of the cd case” and Norman shrugging his shoulders at what a cd case is.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

al-azad posted:

MGS2 has faux game over screens during Arsenal Gear and the AI calling you with insipid messages, which is better imo.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

codenameFANGIO posted:

I'm replaying MGS2 (I never got very much into the secrets, have only held up like 5 people so far this playthrough for example) and am at the ray fight. I never did any pull ups. They level your grip meter or something? Any time you have to hang and move around, there are bits where you can flip back up to rest. Why would I level my grip meter?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Time for bed, cya all tomorrow for Dragon Quest XI. :homebrew:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm pretty good at games based on the number i've beaten, but i wouldn't say that's a good thing

i guess it's better than being really good at -one- game and pouring 5,000 hours into it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i mean tbf genesis sonic is pretty rough if you're just jumping into it for the first time and have no sense for the movement mechanics

if he'd been playing sonic 1 or 2 instead of sonic 3 he probably wouldn't have even finished the game and, well, i wouldn't have blamed him

Yeah but we're talking like super basic mechanics here like jumping and spindashing. It's like that one reviewer who spent a ton of time on the cuphead tutorial because he couldn't grasp that he had to press 2 buttons at once or whatever it was.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah but we're talking like super basic mechanics here like jumping and spindashing. It's like that one reviewer who spent a ton of time on the cuphead tutorial because he couldn't grasp that he had to press 2 buttons at once or whatever it was.

The great irony of classic Sonic is by design it wants you to take your time but everything about the game tells you to go fast. So if you duck down to spin dash while also holding forward Sonic will do a little spin until his momentum stops. But this spin lets you carry momentum while breaking through blocks so the whole higher level play is balancing Sonic's forward momentum.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's not ironic having a balance of going fast and taking it slow lmao

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where's my new loving Animal Crossing Nintendo

Its been 5 years

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Where's my new loving Animal Crossing Nintendo

Its been 5 years

You'll get a gatchapon game and you'll LIKE IT

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I may not have many things I can be proud of in life, but at least I can say I never played a bloody Gatcha game.

My brother has sunk so much time into Fire Emblem: Heroes. He should play a real game for real gamers like Dwarf Fortress :corsair:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
waifu emblem is 100% a real game and i just finished my first 5*+10 tonight

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

waifu emblem is 100% a real game and i just finished my first 5*+10 tonight

congrats let me know if you want me to put it into the thread hall of fame

e: wait this is the chat thread not the feh thread what the heck

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

here its eligible for the hall of shame

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Everything is shame here though.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Heartcatch posted:

Everything is shame here though.

Never be ashamed to Game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I loved watching Vinny & Dan doing QPs together because they had this Father & Son dynamic that was delightful. There was this one when they're playing this garbage construction game and midway through Vinny just begins teaching Dan how to change a tire and it is delightful

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Escape room type deal in Tokyo, but it's Metal Gear themed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvxRQQ4Hzg

Boxes, and Codecs, and Guards OH MY

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

codenameFANGIO posted:

Never be ashamed to Game.

But what if people think I'm lame to game :ohdear:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Rarity posted:

But what if people think I'm lame to game :ohdear:

that’s a shame

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is vinny a shady mafia guy like I'm imagining every time I see the name

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

vinny is a goofy dad and also the best

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Every time I see people talk about Vinny outside the Giant Bomb thread I always get confused until someone posts a video and it's that other dude

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
As a kid, i played the PS1 Final Fantasy games. which had 4 discs. So when i finally got a PS2 and bought FFX, i was really surprised it had 1 disc. I even remember me saying out loud. Oh no, it's a short game. FF9 had 4 discs.

I was very glad to be horribly wrong on that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In replaying FF9 on iPad and also not remembering where the discs originally started and ended, I can confirm that it’s fine without the disc breaks, you don’t need them to appreciate climaxes

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Most of the length on multi-disc games were in the FMV or CG anyways. Wasn't Koudelka like a 12-hour game, but it was 3-4 discs long because of all the CG cutscenes?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is pretty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYrj53se7Bw

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
We got our first smart phone ever and the first game we've put on it is neko atsume

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dragon Quest XI is out today and I am so, so happy and I want to go home and play my comfy old-school JRPG right now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

Dragon Quest XI is out today and I am so, so happy and I want to go home and play my comfy old-school JRPG right now

Very excited for this too! About 40 minutes or so.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I was watching the Kotaku review of DQXI (I know shut up) and he described the series as 'bed time' rpgs that you can wind down with for a bit right before bed. It's the best pitch I've ever heard for the series, and I mean that seriously.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's a good review that people should watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Here is the review, for people to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iTbUGItU0s

• Locked thread