Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
You can eat all the chicken you want it will probably give you cancer tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Groovelord Neato posted:

the all meat or even the keto evangelists are dumb but it seems pretty dumb to say only get like 10 percent of your calories from meat. i don't know how i'd get enough protein to put on muscle if i didn't eat lots of chicken breasts.

It's 10% protein not calories. The way the book recommends looking at it isn't focusing on the 10% thing but rather treating meat like a dessert. You don't eat ice cream everyday because you know there are health consequences. So you treat meat the same way. You enjoy it occasionally for the taste and occasion. He has a bunch of data that backs this style of dieting up. People are terrible are tracking numbers like calories n poo poo. But just switch what you think of meat as being from a primary source of protein to a desert. And after the couple weeks of learning how to cook vegetables to be interesting, it's easy as poo poo to stick to the 10% thing. I never eat average quality meat anymore unless it's served to me in a family/friend setting. Once a month I'll treat myself to a $30 burger or whatever. Like most chicken these days I can't eat unless it's slathered in some sort of sauce. The rubbery texture when you stop eating it for a while, becomes really loving strange to come back too.

I mean, not to turn this into veggie chat. But you do know that veggies are more protein dense than meat right? Granted the fiber offsets it unless it's extracted. But beans, lentils are waaay cheaper than chicken. I mean I don't really weight train, mostly just body weight exercises as I need the core strength for work. But like I've never had a problem of keeping mass on. Keeping fat though? That one is strange because it's so seemingly easy to lose weight when you aren't eating meat.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 3, 2018

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

the all meat or even the keto evangelists are dumb but it seems pretty dumb to say only get like 10 percent of your calories from meat. i don't know how i'd get enough protein to put on muscle if i didn't eat lots of chicken breasts.

There are actually a couple swole rear end vegan bodybuilders. The vegan ITT freaking out isnt one of them and probably doesnt even lift, but they do exist. Youd have to eat a lot of protein supplements.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

hot sauce posted:

Youd have to eat a lot of protein supplements.

But isn't that the case with trying to gain muscle on meat as well though?

I mean if 1 Gram of Protein is 1 Gram of Protein in terms of roughly what your body does to it to convert it to muscle, than what does it matter if the source is meat based vs. vegetable.

Granted the way the book describes the meat protein uptake vs. the vegterable protein uptake, there may be faster muscle development on the meat protein, but we're talking cell development, not maximum potential. So in theory it may take you a few extra days to get to the same level of muscle, but at least your colon or heart aren't going to loving collapse in 20 years.

hot sauce posted:

The vegan ITT freaking out isnt one of them and probably doesnt even lift

Like I said I don't really do weight training, mostly just pushups and lifting 50lb+ sacks of dirt. But doing this easy as poo poo diet for the past couple years has left my body looking like this, I'm by no means ripped or gonna impress anyone with my forearms but I also don't spend any time at the gym comparing myself to other men so who cares

Morphix fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 3, 2018

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Morphix posted:

But isn't that the case with trying to gain muscle on meat as well though?

Gaining muscle is hard and you need to supplement with all diets, but the vegan diet requires much more of it. Ive experimented with all kinds of diets and no/low meat is harder to make gains on. I was constantly eating and drinking multiple shakes a day.

Im actually a big fan of reducing meat consumption, I just dont believe statements like reducing your meat intake by x reduces all cancers by 90% are true or helpful.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

hot sauce posted:

Gaining muscle is hard and you need to supplement with all diets, but the vegan diet requires much more of it. Ive experimented with all kinds of diets and no/low meat is harder to make gains on. I was constantly eating and drinking multiple shakes a day.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fiber content. Or if it's like the way the book describes, your body isn't forced to absorb the protein with vegetable protein like it is with meat, so you just piss the extra away. But I could be confusing the two things.

quote:

Im actually a big fan of reducing meat consumption, I just dont believe statements like reducing your meat intake by x reduces all cancers by 90% are true or helpful.

I mean the largest dietary study to ever be conducted in history says otherwise. A macro reading of a bunch of health studies, which this book does as well, also say otherwise. But yes, you can find one or two studies that contradict my points so gently caress the largest collection of research ever done for human health. It's not "helpful" for ~reasons~

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Morphix posted:

do I need to put a /s so you dorks know I'm being facetious? I mean I literally posted a stupid meat meme that took an entire generation of young men and made them loving insufferable for like 5 years.

My point is anyone who says 'vegans always pushing their agenda' in response to one person posting one stupid link when we just had a dumb teenager tell us why meat eating is the best on the most popular podcast in the world is a loving idiot.

Im sorry for not knowing every loving dumb meme from the last decade

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Morphix posted:

It's 10% protein not calories.

even dumber.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Morphix what is your opinion of vaccines

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If anyone's now actually interested in reading an :effortless: post that shits on the book he's been spasming on about, this one is okay. tl;dr whole lotta cherry picking, as custom for vegan literature

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

word, you should lead the research department in one of the most respected universities in the world, work on the largest health study to be ever conducted in human history with multiple colleagues from other respected universities

and than write a book synthesizing your research so I can read more about your groundbreaking ideas

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Megazver posted:

If anyone's now actually interested in reading an :effortless: post that shits on the book he's been spasming on about, this one is okay. tl;dr whole lotta cherry picking, as custom for vegan literature

https://deniseminger.com/about/

quote:

Who do I think I am, running a health blog without a nutrition PhD? Shouldnt I be flipping burgers at McDonalds like all those other English majors?

I get this question a lot. It speaks volumes about how we view learning, and why weve abandoned personal responsibility for using our own brains when it comes to health. We cant possibly understand nutrition if we havent paid for a degree! Lets just trust someone with formal credentials instead of thinking for ourselves.

vs my standard vegan bullshit guy

quote:

Campbell joined MIT as a research associate, then worked for 10 years in the Virginia Tech Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, before returning to Cornell in 1975 to join its Division of Nutritional Sciences. He has worked as a senior science adviser to the American Institute for Cancer Research,[4] and sits on the advisory board of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.[5] He is known in particular for research, derived in part from the China study, that appears to link the consumption of animal protein with the development of cancer and heart disease.[6] He argues that casein, a protein found in milk from mammals, is "the most significant carcinogen we consume".[7]

hahahahahahaha

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Morphix posted:

word, you should lead the research department in one of the most respected universities in the world, work on the largest health study to be ever conducted in human history with multiple colleagues from other respected universities

and than write a book synthesizing your research so I can read more about your groundbreaking ideas

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

But I am willing to accept that, as long as it also stops you, someone with zero insight or education in the subject matter, from blathering on in this thread.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how am i to build muscle eating barely any of the macronutrient responsible for building muscle.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

how am i to build muscle eating barely any of the macronutrient responsible for building muscle.

Ackchually, 47 cups of spinach has the same protein as a 5 oz portion of cow flesh, so you dont need it!

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Megazver posted:

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

But I am willing to accept that, as long as it also stops you, someone with zero insight or education in the subject matter, from blathering on in this thread.

so just to get this straight

in your stupid loving head

an English 4 year major with a blog and one of the most respected nutritional research scientists in the world carry the same level of authority

Rogan fans being logic pedants?! Shocking!

I read a book, you googled for 5 loving seconds and didn't even read your stupid link. The gently caress are you talking about zero insight lol

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

gently caress vegans

im excited for Joe to be converted to Maoist 3rd Worldism by Bernie.

Comrade Joe will be useful.

edit: Can't wait until he hears about Posadism

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

hot sauce posted:

Ackchually, 47 cups of spinach has the same protein as a 5 oz portion of cow flesh, so you dont need it!

and enough oxalate to develop a decent sized kidney stone

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Malaria posted:

gently caress vegans

there is nothing easier to troll than insecure dudes about their diets, not even women are this loving gullible and put so much of their identity behind their food

literally the only one defending this stupid point vs a handful of you memelords and I've yet to call anyone names, say gently caress meat eaters, or accuse anyone of conspiratorial thinking via vaccine denial

but ya, it is vegans who never shut up about their diets

loving vegans maaan, they're the worst

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I mean, really step back for a second and think about how much of a bitch you're being right now. Like I'd have to really try and poo poo on womens...shoes I guess for hours to get the same quick response. I mean, I honestly don't know of a thing that women are as insecure as most men when it comes to their diets.

It's like Rogan and his Elk meat making him more manly. its hilarious

SOMEONE SAID A BAD THING ABOUT A THING I ENJOY EATING!!!! MUSTER THE DEFENSES BOYS WE GOTO WAAAAAAR! FOR LOGIC AND REASON! AND FAAAAAACTS!

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

hoxha-posadist Joe Rogan my dudes

edit: Any of you nerds listen to Cum Town?

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Morphix posted:

there is nothing easier to troll than insecure dudes about their diets, not even women are this loving gullible and put so much of their identity behind their food

literally the only one defending this stupid point vs a handful of you memelords and I've yet to call anyone names, say gently caress meat eaters, or accuse anyone of conspiratorial thinking via vaccine denial

but ya, it is vegans who never shut up about their diets

loving vegans maaan, they're the worst

I can leave my house and walk 10 feet in any direction to see bumper stickers and tshirts like "for every animal you dont eat I'll eat threeeeeeeee! suck it vegans" Lol mind your god drat business you stupid hicks

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

In the future we will all develop a taste for tofurkey sausage (by federal mandate).

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

hot sauce posted:

Morphix what is your opinion of vaccines

Attended a baby shower with a physician yesterday, and the mother-to-be asked about something anti-vaxxy she heard about on JRE. Rhonda?

It bummed me out.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
#1 the china study is suspect
#2 you post and argue like an idiot and you are actually hurting your cause because of it
#3 someone posted a critique on the other page which directly contradicts the china study that you addressed improperly either because you wanted to play sleight of hand or you just don't actually read anything.

quote:

are not due to the avoidance of animal products but to the elimination of other health-harming items. Western diets involve far more than increased consumption of animal products, and for some groupssuch as Alaskan Nativesa switch from a traditional diet to a Westernized one entails reduced animal food consumption, with the caloric void replaced by refined carbohydrates, hydrogenated oils, grains, sugar, and convenience foods.

you responded

quote:

As in Asian people didn't loving consume a lot of meat in their diets until Westerners show up, so while yes they are omnivores in the technical sense on a macro scale, to say it leans towards a heavy meat diet is loving disingenuous at best.

Alaskan natives are not East Asians. Traditional Inuit diets are like 90% protein and fat and they have/had super low rates of cancer, heart disease et al. until western diets showed up.
It's called the "inuit paradox", look into it.

ANd before you get started that that diet/me linking that is a call for atkins or eating bacon which you for some reason seem obsessed with, that is not the case.

Morphix posted:

I've literally built my entire loving persona on the food I eat, it's all I loving haaaaaaaave maaaan

Sounds about right.

There are a bunch of other issues with your arguments and that study and the way you framed that study but I'm hungover and don't like discussing topics with people who post like morons.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Piquai Souban posted:

Attended a baby shower with a physician yesterday, and the mother-to-be asked about something anti-vaxxy she heard about on JRE. Rhonda?

It bummed me out.

Definitely not ronda patrick

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Morphix posted:

Rogan fans being logic pedants?! Shocking!

Like 3 or 4 people here are actual fans, most just pop in to point out when a conservative-ish guest is scheduled lol. I would bet you no one responding now is the bacon eating bro you are imagining.

Piquai Souban posted:

It bummed me out.

No way that was Rhonda Patrick. She is one of the most reasonable health guests joe has on. I dont think Ive heard any anti-vax guests except maybe lunatics like Eddie bravo who think everything is a conspiracy

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
It actually could be Rhonda. She is extremely smart but she was complaining about Paul Offit in one episode a few years back because he wrote a book basically saying supplements and alternative medicine dont do poo poo, which is true, and she got real defensive about it. For those who dont know Paul Offit invented the rotavirus vaccine and has saved countless numbers of people.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Seltzer posted:

#3 someone posted a critique on the other page which directly contradicts the china study that you addressed improperly either because you wanted to play sleight of hand or you just don't actually read anything.

ya...the critique is the bro-scientist-est sounding poo poo from self described English major with a blog

like I said, the book was largely ignored because it's conclusions no good scientist would argue against, so you're left with diet hacks like this blogger who has done no research of his own, trying to critique a loving two decade long study. I mean whaaaaat

Seltzer posted:

Traditional Inuit diets are like 90% protein and fat and they have/had super low rates of cancer, heart disease et al. until western diets showed

this is a myth

would you like to know more?

Why is it the least informed about nutrition are the most defensive about their eating habits. Could it be that it's not just the nutrition that they consider when eating something, could it be that, like they accuse vegans of doing, have built their entire masculine persona around consumption of meat. Their entire identity is under attack when someone says the thing they eat is bad. hmmmmmmmmm, but ya it's the loving vegans

hot sauce posted:

Like 3 or 4 people here are actual fans, most just pop in to point out when a conservative-ish guest is scheduled lol. I would bet you no one responding now is the bacon eating bro you are imagining.

No I know, I saw a bit before I posted here. Yet look at the people who have gone out of their way to pull some intellectual rank bullshit by either being pedantic assholes or claiming I am not the informed one while linking a loving bro science english major's blog.

It's almost like my earlier point, about men in america town, in my experience, freak the gently caress out when you tell them meat is bad, because like the loving rogan dorks they are, have built all this masculinity around it, and when they hear me, who I guess to them is a vegan, even though I've said I eat meat, when I tell them what they're eating is bad, their response is...well

which is why anyone saying it's the vegans that are ultimately the most annoying about their diets is projecting like a lighthouse. literally look around the culture you live in and tell me vegetables are in any way as popular as meat. The reason I brought up that stupid epic bacon thing is it's literally a cultural movement, based around men in america, embracing BACON = EPIC MANLINESS!!!

I dare anyone to find anything as annoying from the vegans that hit as big culturally as the stupid bacon poo poo in the last 10 years. And that's just meat and culture directly, not even mentioning the meat based diets. All of which are based on pseudo-science junk. Like Atkins in the final reckonging will be responsible for thousands/millions of dead Americans. What vegan movement can you attribute thousands/millions* of dead people too?

*the book actually covers this a bit but I can't remember the exact number the author cites, so my b

edit- actually trying to have this conversation isn't interesting, eat what you loving want, die early, die late, bro out with your nutrition .com blogs, gently caress books, etc

Morphix fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 3, 2018

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Hey so Bernie. Hope that happens

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Evil Agita posted:

Hey so Bernie. Hope that happens

Hell yea! More Bernie is always better

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
No let's keep being very flustered about meat

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

No let's keep being very flustered about meat

hot dogs are delish sammy when dipped in chup

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

hot sauce posted:

There are actually a couple swole rear end vegan bodybuilders. The vegan ITT freaking out isnt one of them and probably doesnt even lift, but they do exist. Youd have to eat a lot of protein supplements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHrysja5lYw

this guy is a vegan and jacked, not that im sold on veganism but ya you can get jacked and be a vegan

e:

Morphix posted:

I mean if 1 Gram of Protein is 1 Gram of Protein in terms of roughly what your body does to it to convert it to muscle, than what does it matter if the source is meat based vs. vegetable.

also 1 gram of protein doesnt necessarily equal another gram of protein. for the most part if you are eating a varied diet its not a huge deal but if you eschew meat you might be missing out on certain essential aminos like leucine which we cant synthesize and is the granddaddy of muscle growth. not saying you cant get it from plants but its really easy to get that poo poo from chicken.

e2: goddamn you post like a retard actually im mad i tried to engage with you

barkbell fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 4, 2018

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

barkbell posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHrysja5lYw
e2: goddamn you post like a retard actually im mad i tried to engage with you

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/71/3/850/4729291

you are intellectually dishonest and lazy

barkbell fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 4, 2018

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Dont forget delusional.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

says the dummie who doesn't read his own links

Published:
01 March 2000

The China Study
Originally published: 2004

And their main contention is with what Campbell's overall philosophy about health,

quote:

Understanding the health effects of specific dietary changes, which Campbell refers to as reductionism, is therefore an important undertaking.
REFERENCES

Which is addressed in the first chapter, almost as if he responds to this criticism directly from his smart colleagues (you know, not that english major blog poo poo you assholes tried to use the first time to make a point). Campbells views is that this reductionism is helpful when you're trying to work within the FDA system to pass food health laws, but it's not that helpful when looking at humans as complex systems in the aggregate. Slam loving dunk mate. You should start a health blog.

hot sauce posted:

Dont forget delusional.

what's it like trying this many times to 'win' about a conversation about vegetables, and everything time you think you have a slam dunk, I come over and slam your loving head into the concrete one more time and politely ask you to try again.

You idiots could have read the book in the time you've been arguing with me. Or at least read a paragraph of the poo poo you're linking, so you know, you don't sound like you're trying ot bro-science your way out of a conversation with a guy whose using the largest health study every conducted as his primary source.

edit- what's most hilarious, is what I predicted at the start of this dumb argument with my meat bros, has happened to a T. Someone used that stupid Blog to make a point, and that real scientists largely ignored this book, which Barkbell has proven by doing his best google-fu and only coming up with a 'critique' that predates the loving book by four years. Everyone of you should be ashamed. It's a 400~ page book, written from a first person narrator, it's easy as poo poo to go through in a weekend. If you're really this serious about your diet, why the gently caress wouldn't you read this book. Other than "I may not like the answers and I'm a stubborn rear end in a top hat that's really not that interested in health". Or better yet you'll complain about how I delivered the message. How it wasn't to your delicate sensibilities when discussing such a sensitive issue as meat. If only I used less fucks etc. Or the more likely issue is you're all loving insecure dudes who look at meat as the source of their masculine energy and for that I laugh you forever.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 4, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

could you guys please stop arguing thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

butros posted:

could you guys please stop arguing thanks

ya that's fair. meat is a very sensitive topic among some.