Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I saw a vehicle like this in a lovely European towtruck simulator I watched a streamer play but I thought they made it up for the game because it wasn't like anything else in it made sense. Is this really a better and safer solution than just using a normal tow truck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
It's a debris pickup tool, they use them routinely with clamshell graspers for disaster cleanup, picking up brush loads and depositing them into the back. I met a guy whose business only does poo poo like hurricane/tornado/flood cleanup and he just drives around the country with a convoy of trucks. I dunno what they'd use the fork graspers for instead, it might work better than clamshells for something solid

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That lovely old Peugeot 106 is going straight to the junkyard so why bother?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kibayasu posted:

This seems like the kind of thing someone had the idea for forever but managed to forget that tow trucks and flatbeds had already been invented. I cannot imagine how this is better than either.

Given the height of the trailer walls, you can probably smoosh the car down a bit once it's in. Pick up a few per trip.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Or, you know, its a staged video and the owner of the car is also the owner of the crane truck.

Nah thats crazy, a staged video on the internet? Who would go and do that?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Memento posted:

It looks like England, so that makes sense.

The architecture is absolutely not British, more like the benelux region. Also the cars are driving on the right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Much like the gif, I presume the claw is often used for picking up cars, especially out of places where a regular tow truck might not be able to reach them.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

BattleMaster posted:

I saw a vehicle like this in a lovely European towtruck simulator I watched a streamer play but I thought they made it up for the game because it wasn't like anything else in it made sense. Is this really a better and safer solution than just using a normal tow truck?

Nawh it actually exists. Look up T crane tow truck.
Not sure of it's advantages over other types of tow trucks.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

watch San Fran use this to try to get rid of all the homeless people living in their cars

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Blast of Confetti posted:

watch San Fran use this to try to get rid of all the homeless people living in their cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wa4U6TQlNI

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Living in St. Paul and driving through both cities frequently in the same time span and I'll never not see someone in the bike lanes when there's no snow on the ground. Especially during rush hour, you'll get dozens of bike commuters making great use of the bike lanes. The Twin Cities is one of the best places in the US for biking and I'm pretty drat sure the cities have years of observational data to back up usage.

I can only assume you only drive in the winter or are deliberately not looking for cyclists. Please don't hit me the next time I'm on the road!
I mean you can assume whatever the gently caress you want, it doesn't make it true. I just watched three people all peddle down the center of 26th St on friday afternoon and another two on the sidewalk yesterday, so maybe you ought to go find this observational data you're so sure exists if you wanna talk because my observational data (i.e. the data I have observed with my own eyes) is that 90% of cyclists are poo poo who aren't happy unless they're being a pedestrian hazard or traffic obstacle.

I drive every day to and from work. Don't be in my lane when you have your own and I won't be able to hit you!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You sound like the sort of person who turns across a cycle lane without even looking to see if there's a cyclist there or not.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Jesus Christ, stop it with the cycling derails.

EDIT: Please?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jabor posted:

You sound like the sort of person who turns across a cycle lane without even looking to see if there's a cyclist there or not.
You sound like the kind of person who deserves to get hit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

null_pointer posted:

Jesus Christ, stop it with the cycling derails.

It's a common enough occurrence but with practice you can actually use the derailleur to throw the chain back on without even stopping.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Yawgmoth posted:

everybody deserves to get hit.

It has nothing to do with bikes or not, I just don't like people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

It's a common enough occurrence but with practice you can actually use the derailleur to throw the chain back on without even stopping.

:golfclap:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Bad Munki posted:

On the one hand, sensible chuckle. On the other hand, I would actually like to know how to do this, because a dropped chain is super annoying.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Yawgmoth posted:

:catstare:

You literally think it's okay to murder people because you're too lazy to look around?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Jabor posted:

:catstare:

You literally think it's okay to murder people because you're too lazy to look around?

I agree because everything should be taken literally and both hyperbole and humor don't exist.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

null_pointer posted:

On the one hand, sensible chuckle. On the other hand, I would actually like to know how to do this, because a dropped chain is super annoying.

Depends on the situation but here are a couple options: https://coachlevi.com/cycling/fix-dropped-chain-without-stopping/

Basically, use the derailleur to push the chain back toward the sprocket and gently pedal it back on.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

satanic splash-back posted:

I agree because everything should be taken literally and both hyperbole and humor don't exist.

It's hard to judge what's a joke sometimes because in the real world cyclists do actually get assaulted all the time.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAW0mfuWXb0

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

drat, that tanker smashed up against the bridge.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Jeb!i

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/IEWg24m.mp4

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Renegret posted:

everybody deserves to get hit.

It has nothing to do with bikes or not, I just don't like people.

That's kind of dark, you doing ok there Renegret?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I feel like he's permanently hunched over like that now.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kibayasu posted:

I cannot imagine how this is better than either.

It more accurately conveys spite.

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
Two person motorcycle racing with the functional/safety features of the sidecar removed.

https://gfycat.com/parallelartisticlamprey

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

That's a good way to gently caress up your shack

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Jake Mustache posted:

Two person motorcycle racing with the functional/safety features of the sidecar removed.

The guy's rear end is scraping on the grass. :gonk:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jake Mustache posted:

Oh yeah, sidecar racing is complete lunacy. The fact that it's still a sanctioned sport is :stonklol:

I mean, there's only so many safety features you can implement on a motorcycle, but adding a non-driving human who has to spidermonkey around as ballast is well beyond insane.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At least give the sidecar racer a weapon or something. Go full Mario Kart while you're disregarding safety in every possible way.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Strabo4 posted:

The guy's rear end is scraping on the grass. :gonk:

Not only that, the grass is worn down where all the asses have dragged through it!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/vebtE5y.mp4

this plumbing method seems suspicious.................

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They have those sidecar races at the Isle of man TT

The entire race is so loony that the only country willing to host it is the Isle...

Here is a highlight video from a few years back. You're doing 180mph on narrow streets with the only thing to cushion your death are storefront windows. And you have to have the entire track memorized. And if you miss a turn in point or braking point you die.

https://youtu.be/iRWp9rhfS_0

Top fuel dragster drivers, MotoGP racers, top tier rally drivers. None of them move over to the Isle of Man TT.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Oh yeah, sidecar racing is complete lunacy. The fact that it's still a sanctioned sport is :stonklol:

I mean, there's only so many safety features you can implement on a motorcycle, but adding a non-driving human who has to spidermonkey around as ballast is well beyond insane.

The team mate is a safety feature, for the driver. Or at least it seems safer than normal motorcycle racing - the added mass of the passenger limits top speeds a bit, and the sidecar combo also corners very differently from an ordinary motorcycle so while it may look crazy, the speeds where that kind of trickery happens are reasonable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2RrVD8jaF8

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yes, 'reasonable' is the one word that comes to mind to describe this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mozi posted:

Yes, 'reasonable' is the one word that comes to mind to describe this.

yeah lol the degree of safety going from... i dunno 150 down to 120 mph as a standard is certainly enough to make a difference right?

and in the slower scenario two people are gonna fuckin die instead of just one