Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I've kept myself away from pretty much all media about dq11 and can not wait to get into it in about an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've heard that review is great but I already know I'm gonna play it and want to go in blind.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that massive destiny 2 overhaul is coming out today i think and i have determined that it is completely impossible to get a short, coherent comparison of what you get without paying the $30 opt-in fee versus what you do

edit: $40 opt-in fee

edit: $70 opt-in fee if you want the additional expansions coming out over the course of the next year

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 4, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Healbot posted:

It's not ironic having a balance of going fast and taking it slow lmao

It is because Sega of America wanted you to believe there's no slowing down. The first blurb on the back of the box is even SUPER SPEED. And SoA probably drives the entire vision for Sonic if not in the past then certainly now.

Sonic was never advertised for his speed in Japan, he's more of a smug rear end in a top hat who exudes confidence. The back of that box translates as "Screw the ordinary. I know what's important, so yeah, I'm pretty drat confidant."

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cowcaster posted:

that massive destiny 2 overhaul is coming out today i think and i have determined that it is completely impossible to get a short, coherent comparison of what you get without paying the $30 opt-in fee versus what you do

edit: $40 opt-in fee

edit: $70 opt-in fee if you want the additional expansions coming out over the course of the next year

FWIW i'm taking the risk, betting that the new PvP mode will be good but that there won't be enough PvE content or there will be enough bugs to drive me away within, oh... two weeks, that's my guess

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

FWIW i'm taking the risk, betting that the new PvP mode will be good but that there won't be enough PvE content or there will be enough bugs to drive me away within, oh... two weeks, that's my guess

i don’t want to throw $70 at it because if certain stars align i might get the stuff for free but i also don’t want to play without the expansion if i’m stuck 300 levels below everyone else with guns that don’t work

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
reading Online Games chat is like reading something from TCC

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not ruling out giving Destiny 2 a try, but I'm gonna let everyone else dive in first so I can see how the water is before I put down money on this. I'm in no rush.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FirstAidKite posted:

We got our first smart phone ever and the first game we've put on it is neko atsume

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You reminded me of when I played Persona 1 a looooong rear end time back, and I got really caught up in the music for the big glowing cheery tree save point, and spent years online looking for it, until time and the slow murdering deluge of Youtube finally delivered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-CDu5eFmak

Bonus, because every game should have a sleazy shiny drug store with theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzwHcvw258

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
My kid played Super Mario 3D (the Wii U one) at a cousin's house, and now she wants a Wii U. They're stupidly expensive on the used market and there only seem to be a couple of games worth playing. Is there some equivalent Switch game I could suggest to her, or is there some way to play the Wii U version on the Switch?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Macaroni posted:

My kid played Super Mario 3D (the Wii U one) at a cousin's house, and now she wants a Wii U. They're stupidly expensive on the used market and there only seem to be a couple of games worth playing. Is there some equivalent Switch game I could suggest to her, or is there some way to play the Wii U version on the Switch?

There aren't any games that are quite like 3D World on the Switch right now. That style of coop mario gameplay in distinct levels has been very successful for Nintendo, so I'm sure we'll see that at some point in the Switch's life-span.

That said, if she just likes the platforming gameplay and doesn't care about the multiplayer stuff, Mario Odyssey is really excellent and I'm sure she'd enjoy it just as much.

Rayman Legends is also quite good and is cooperative, but it is a 2D game.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 4, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Harrow posted:

I'm not ruling out giving Destiny 2 a try, but I'm gonna let everyone else dive in first so I can see how the water is before I put down money on this. I'm in no rush.

I've played on the Ps4 since it's free and it's the same MMO experience as always. Go to place, do quest and sidequest, get white equipment; go to new place, do quest and sidequest, get green equipment. Kill a thousand of the same enemies along the way.

Also, grenades are a cooldown skill for some reason? And very lame.

Shooting doesn't feel good either, I'd expect some crazy weapons from a sci-fi game but it's mostly the same with different colors.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I thought the guns in Destiny 2 all felt pretty unique and impactful actually. Some of them were a blast to use like the little minigun type things.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Aw yes

cats

Cats own

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I just started in the application development field and have my first "project" to work on.

Already I've seen my boss claim he worked 30 hours on it last week, despite the fact that I did all the development so far. I'd guess his actual work output was between .5-1 hours. I get the feeling this is a pretty common thing in this field, but hey at least I don't dread work like I did at my last job.

Also I'm posting on these dead, gay forums instead of continuing to work so I can't complain that much I guess.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Looking at the new Dragon Quest makes me happy that Android 17 is getting work

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Destiny 2 still has its weapon design shackled to the popularity of the modern military shooter and it suffers greatly for it.

I gave it a try with the expansion coming out and in half an hour I was just aggressively bored with the whole thing. The new mode sounds interesting but speaking with a friend who is into Desinty and played the trial, it's unplayable with randoms as you'll just get stomped by premade groups.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, even when i was playing it i never actually did any of the highest end content because it's literally mandatory you create a premade group of either 3 or 6 people to do any of it and i only have a couple of friends who were even playing destiny 2 and generally not at the same time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is there an oddly specific german word that can be used to describe the feeling of losing a friend by doing what you had to do and breaking some bad news to said friend, with the hope that said friend will have a better understanding of what you said later and become more appreciative of it?

'Cause I know that allegedly the german language has words for all kinds of weird oddly specific feelings.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know about german but on the sa forums i think that we use :sever:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Destiny 2 is also full of convoluted bullshit systems like multiple currencies and chests (engrams) that you need to have opened b an npc for whatever idiotic reason. Of course these systems and nothing else is explained in any way shape or form so you are totally on your own to guess how poo poo works only to realize it is totally counterintuitive in every aspect possible.

It takes real skill to make such a mediocre game and mess up menus and UI this badly...

Hopper fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 4, 2018

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ups, bad connection made me double post...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Destiny 2 is also full of covoluted bullshit systems like multiple currencies and chests (engrams) that you need to have opened b an npc for whatever idiotic reason. Of course these systems and nothing else is explained in amlny way shape of form so you are totally on your own to guess gow poo poo works only to realize it is totally counterintuitive in every aspect possible.

It takes real skill to make such a mediocre game and mess up menus and UI this badly...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Don't you dare ruin the joke

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know about german but on the sa forums i think that we use :sever:

Yeah that emote describes it pretty well tbqh

Just a case of "well we're friends but I have something to say that I know is going to ruin our friendship but it needs to be said, maybe hopefully you can appreciate it more later, until then :sever:"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dragon Quest XI is live now on Steam. :f5:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

yeah, even when i was playing it i never actually did any of the highest end content because it's literally mandatory you create a premade group of either 3 or 6 people to do any of it and i only have a couple of friends who were even playing destiny 2 and generally not at the same time.

You can run endgame stuff like dungeons and raids with random people.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Verranicus posted:

You can run endgame stuff like dungeons and raids with random people.

nightfalls and raids both require premade groups. very technically raids have a matchmaking function but last i checked it you legitimately had to run it for upwards of 20 minutes in order to use it to put together a group. also i think you might have to spend some kind of tokens to even use it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Dragon Quest XI is live now on Steam. :f5:

I'm tempted. But D2 Forsaken is opening in half an hour :supaburn:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

nightfalls and raids both require premade groups. very technically raids have a matchmaking function but last i checked it you legitimately had to run it for upwards of 20 minutes in order to use it to put together a group. also i think you might have to spend some kind of tokens to even use it?

Yeah, guided games was a complete misfire and no one uses it, largely because of the lack of background queueing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm basically pinning most of my hopes for this on

- The core gameplay/gunplay is still fun
- Gambit mode, previewed a few days ago, is REALLY fun

I expect to be disappointed, frankly, but

well

Gambit is REALLY fun

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going to the gym and then jacking into the Rift for Zone of the Enders 2 VR hell freakin' yeah!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

I'm basically pinning most of my hopes for this on

- The core gameplay/gunplay is still fun
- Gambit mode, previewed a few days ago, is REALLY fun

my one friend who was still actively playing destiny gave the free weekend of gambit a shot and is super psyched about it, but also she's my one friend who has been actively playing destiny ever since launch so i'm taking that with a heavy grain of salt.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Going to the gym and then jacking into the Rift for Zone of the Enders 2 VR hell freakin' yeah!

wait is this for real

also is it a seated thing, my back is out so i haven't watched the VR thread in months

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

loev 2 jack off into a rift

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

wait is this for real

also is it a seated thing, my back is out so i haven't watched the VR thread in months

yes, gamepad required and it's seated VR experience so no worries about back strain. also it's like 30 bucks which is an incredibly fair price imo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

my one friend who was still actively playing destiny gave the free weekend of gambit a shot and is super psyched about it, but also she's my one friend who has been actively playing destiny ever since launch so i'm taking that with a heavy grain of salt.

totally fair

and tbh you're more right to be skeptical than i am, but i've spent more money on worse decisions and i wanted to play some mmofps :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

yes, gamepad required and it's seated VR experience so no worries about back strain

oh my god

• Locked thread