Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The worst producer mandated change to a film is the opening to Dark City where producers made them add in the narration from Keifer's character explaining the entire plot instead of letting it be a mystery.

This is true. It's like having a voice over during the opening credits of sixth sense that tells you that Bruce Willis is a ghost. At least the director's cut of Dark City removes it.

Mu Zeta posted:

Does anybody pay attention to the movie openings? I must have seen Predator dozens of times while growing up and I never realized they showed his space ship in the opening sequence.

https://youtu.be/BqswoKEL9wo

Yeah I can see how you missed it. It's super subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Doesn't the opening of American Beauty tells you where it ends for a character? The first time I saw that movie, by the time it got to the end, I'd totally forgotten about that bit and was still surprised.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It does, but it's not meant to be a plot twist. You're not gonna hit that part and suddenly have to recontextualize the whole movie, like with, say, Fight Club.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Dark City opens with the main character wandering around going "what's happening? Where am I? Who are these mysterious people following me?" and the opening narration explains all those questions.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DecentHairJelly posted:

Not that the first Escape Plan was a work of art or anything, but the whole sequel is loving dumb. Stallone doesn't even show up in the prison until the last 25 minutes of the movie. They do all this dumb poo poo with the stupid prison fight club where the winner gets to go do arts and crafts or whatever. 50 Cent just hacks into the prison mainframe from Stallone's office like it ain't no thang. Then there's those stupid hairless white supremacist genius hacker dudes who just stand around like some kind of albino blue man group. Oh and despite all the set up of the prisoners secretly uniting, the escape plan is pretty much Bautista just ramming through the doors in a humvee and mowing everyone down with a machine gun. Also, they set up a third one because why the gently caress not.

I never watched the first one, but I was basically wondering why Stallone did jack poo poo in this movie Felt like a "straight to DVD" sequel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

By the way, what the gently caress was Seraph? In Neo's matrix-sight, he's shown as looking radically different from everyone else, man or machine. But that's never developed in any way. God those sequels annoy me. "Your life is the sum of a remainder of an exponent of a divisor of a subtrahend of a function of unbalanced equation." Get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo.

Seraph is like an authentication protocol that prevents the machines from getting access to The Oracle. In the Matrix that translates into a kung-fu trained bodyguard. When he fights Neo he's confirming his identity.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mu Zeta posted:

Does anybody pay attention to the movie openings? I must have seen Predator dozens of times while growing up and I never realized they showed his space ship in the opening sequence.

Ive learned that openings often have information that is relevant to the remaining parts of the film so I try to pay attention

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Basebf555 posted:

Seraph is like an authentication protocol that prevents the machines from getting access to The Oracle. In the Matrix that translates into a kung-fu trained bodyguard. When he fights Neo he's confirming his identity.

Yeah, but that's pretty prosaic, given his appearance. Why's he look so much different, spectacularly so, then the myriad other protocols and programs that Neo interacts with (many of which are far more complex in nature than an autheticator)?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JediTalentAgent posted:

Doesn't the opening of American Beauty tells you where it ends for a character? The first time I saw that movie, by the time it got to the end, I'd totally forgotten about that bit and was still surprised.

The opening narration tells you that Lester Burnham will be dead in a year, but it doesn't say how, where, why, exactly when, or if there's a who. In the latter case the movie sets up at least five different possibilities, as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, but that's pretty prosaic, given his appearance. Why's he look so much different, spectacularly so, then the myriad other protocols and programs that Neo interacts with (many of which are far more complex in nature than an autheticator)?

His gold color seems to indicate that he's more than just a program, he's not just software. One theory I've read is that he's a leftover machine from an earlier version of The Matrix, possibly the one where everything was a utopia(and therefore human minds rejected it). That would seem to fit with his angelic name(Seraph/Seraphim). As in, he's a literal machine that exists in the real world and has a means of accessing The Matrix directly from the source.

If that's the case it probably means the machines know what he is and allow him to exist within The Matrix, because The Oracle and the entire scenario of The One is designed by the machines as a means of control anyway.

Alternatively, he may be gold in color because of whatever effects there are from hanging around with The Oracle, who is one of the original programs. The Oracle may have the power transfer her own status to other programs.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Sep 4, 2018

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

alternative theory:
the production designer thought it'd look cool

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

alternative theory:
the production designer thought it'd look cool

Pretty sure the production designer didn't arbitrarily decide to make him the same color as what they'd use later to show Neo being absorbed back into The Source without the Wackowski's being involved.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alternate alternate theory:
He is Neo from the future

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Samuringa posted:

Matrix: Path of Neo is surprisingly the most concise, straightforward compilation of the series

Because the end was literally the Wachowkskis manifesting as sprites to explain how the ending was about to go down

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

the humans arn't actually batteries, morpheus just doesn't know what he's talking about

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Calaveron posted:

Because the end was literally the Wachowkskis manifesting as sprites to explain how the ending was about to go down

Was that the one where they literally go '...but the ending would be a bit of a cop out for a video game, so here's a giant Agent Smith just for fun.'?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty sure the production designer didn't arbitrarily decide to make him the same color as what they'd use later to show Neo being absorbed back into The Source without the Wackowski's being involved.

I haven't thought about these films in years, but now you got me thinking that maybe he was one of the past generation's One. He did his part and now he lives on in this role for some reason.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Crimpolioni posted:

the humans arn't actually batteries, morpheus just doesn't know what he's talking about

If there's one thing you take away from The Matrix, it's that Morpheus is a loving idiot who should never have been given control of a ship.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If there's one thing you take away from The Matrix, it's that Morpheus is a loving idiot who should never have been given control of a ship.

I dunno, I think captain whose lack of attention to routine maintenance got his whole ship blown up was worse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BrigadierSensible posted:

My irrationally irritating part of The Matrix films:

The machines used to run on solar power, so to stop them the humans blacked out the sky, (in some way that is never explained). Fair enough, so the machines take to using human bodies as batteries. Using the bio-electricity that living things produce to power themselves.

But wouldn't they be better served by using animals other than humans? Because, in creating and maintaining the Matrix, (to keep the humans docile), they are wasting a lot of energy and electricity. But if they used dogs, or cats, (or why not electric eels coz they produce electricity? or even elephants, coz being bigger they would produce more bio electricity), as batteries then they wouldn't need to faff about with The Matrix, and could use the extra energy in making more machines to hunt down and kill the remaining humans in the real world. Or, if they were dead set on using humans for batteries, why not just lobotomize each person in the hive, keeping them still alive but without cognitive function. Therefore still being able to harvest all the bio electricity, but again eliminating the need for all the waste and hassle of The Matrix.

Even electric eels use more energy than they put out. Living things are always net negative energy. Its basic thermodynamics.

My solution is that the robots should be programmed to "take care of humans" and the whoooole thing wasn't about batteries at all, but rather machines deciding that humans are irrational and need to be controlled to be truly safe and happy.

That's a much more interesting sci-fi plot than just "we need energy".

Why can't the robots build nuclear reactors after all??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pilchenstein posted:

Supposedly the original draft of the matrix has the machines using human brains as computers rather than for energy, which makes a bit more sense I guess.

Its better, but still kinda silly. They could find a way to print brains without bodies attached, we do this already with organs.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The machines are able to get net positive electricity from humans the same way a lightsaber knows how far to go out before it stops. The movie requires this junk science, so stop thinking about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

I haven't thought about these films in years, but now you got me thinking that maybe he was one of the past generation's One. He did his part and now he lives on in this role for some reason.

Certainly could be, but the simplest explanation is that really old programs like Seraph and The Oracle are just different because the technology the machines used to develop and run the first iteration of The Matrix was different. Maybe back then they had to physically "jack-in" in order to upload programs into The Matrix(like humans do in the movie), whereas in the current form the Agents are just uploaded wirelessly. The specific details are unclear but the one thing we know about The Oracle that's different from almost everything else we see in The Matrix is her age. She dates back to the very beginning of The Matrix. So for whatever reason there was just something different about the programs back then compared to the programs in the current version.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Certainly could be, but the simplest explanation is that really old programs like Seraph and The Oracle are just different because the technology the machines used to develop and run the first iteration of The Matrix was different. Maybe back then they had to physically "jack-in" in order to upload programs into The Matrix(like humans do in the movie), whereas in the current form the Agents are just uploaded wirelessly. The specific details are unclear but the one thing we know about The Oracle that's different from almost everything else we see in The Matrix is her age. She dates back to the very beginning of The Matrix. So for whatever reason there was just something different about the programs back then compared to the programs in the current version.

To the beginning of the current iteration of the Matrix, however long that is.

My not entirely I IMM with the Matrix: Trinity trying to persuade Neo not to rescue Morpheus when if she believes in the prophecies of the Oracle, she must know that logically he can't possibly fail. If Neo is not the One, then Morpheus hasn't found the One and thus has to be rescued. But if Neo is the One, he hasn't yet broken the Matrix as prophesied and so again he cannot fail.

Another NEIIMM: Morpheus tells Neo not to tell anyone what he spoke with the Oracle about. Then he almost immediately tells Neo what the Oracle told him, and it's pretty clear that everyone else on the ship knows too.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

rydiafan posted:

The machines are able to get net positive electricity from humans the same way a lightsaber knows how far to go out before it stops. The movie requires this junk science, so stop thinking about it.

There's a containment field keeping the energy of a lightsaber in a specific shape. :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The SA app highlights your username in blue whenever someone mentions it and lemme tell you that is really making this recent Matrix conversation weird as heck to read.

Watched the Meg a few days ago. A very strange movie, in pacing and writing. The movie begins with what would normally feel like a mid-movie crisis (the trench rescue), certain things will be brought up as if they're important then ditched almost immediately, and there's a character that's treated like a villain when he just...isn't.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Sep 4, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Uh what? Lightsabers are parabolic, that's not nearly the same kinda issue.

They also never try to explain lightsabers in the films, so it just uses some tech we don't have. Magnetic fields and ions and poo poo could create that kinda result.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The technology in star wars all runs on "gently caress you it's space magic." There is faster than light travel, space wizards, and laser swords because the plot needs it. It isn't trying to be hard sci fi. The matrix needs people batteries because the plot demands it. The details don't really matter.

I figured there was a big complex system that human batteries were just a part of. The details didn't matter because that would be boring.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All that matters in the Matrix is the machines are reliant, in some capacity, on human beings to sustain themselves. The actual specifics of what humans for the machines is so extremely irrelevant it doesnt come up again outside of Morpheus speach because it doesnt matter, what matters is humans are Helots to the machines Sparta.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The best solution to lightsabers I’ve seen was in that game No More Heroes, where the solution is that lightsabers exist but they have a chunky, obtrusive metal arm on the side that telescopes out and has a thing on the end that stops the beam

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Zaphod42 posted:

They also never try to explain lightsabers in the films, so it just uses some tech we don't have. Magnetic fields and ions and poo poo could create that kinda result.
Collapsible bulbs, obviously.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

My solution is that the robots should be programmed to "take care of humans" and the whoooole thing wasn't about batteries at all, but rather machines deciding that humans are irrational and need to be controlled to be truly safe and happy.

That's pretty much what I, Robot did: I'm not supposed to let them come to harm but if I let them live their own lives they'll harm each other all the time so I need to take care of them and stop them from doing it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Why can't the robots build nuclear reactors after all??

They can. It's even stated that they have fusion. I totally believe that this was a dumb producer decision.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Sep 4, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

If Intel had been willing to pay for the product placement and Morpheus held up a CPU instead, this would all be fixed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh what? Lightsabers are parabolic, that's not nearly the same kinda issue.

There's a deleted scene where Luke is constructing his lightsaber and it uses a special crystal to power the device. I'm glad they got rid of it because nothing makes Star Wars more boring than bringing in more technical details like midichlorians or the light speed fuel in Solo.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a deleted scene where Luke is constructing his lightsaber and it uses a special crystal to power the device. I'm glad they got rid of it because nothing makes Star Wars more boring than bringing in more technical details like midichlorians or the light speed fuel in Solo.
I read the novels before I watched the movies and it's there in quite some detail. Apparently every Lightsaber has a crystal to "focus the light", which also gives the saber its color. It's hard to find good crystals on Tatooine, so Luke also makes the crystal in some furnace and has to be real careful with the cooling down process so it doesn't crack because that would be bad. Also the tension in the scene happens when he pushes the button to turn it on the first time and prays to the Force it doesn't blow his arm off, again.

I was confused when the scene wasn't in the movie because it was quite interesting, the technical details, you know? I was a weird kid and wanted to study engineering, went on to do that, hated it and became a cool chemist instead. Now I know the crystal stuff is bullshit.

Back to teenage me, however, I owned all the Star Wars expanded universe books and there's a series with the next generation of teenage Jedi apprentices and their wacky hijinks, and they all go on elaborate quests to find crystals that are ~just right~ and ~special~ for them. Chewbacca's son has to lasso the tonsil stones (crystal!) off a wookie-eating giant plant on their jungle homeworld (seriously), one of the Solo kids uses the Force to pull the crystal out of a freaking gas giant's core. And there's a cool and troubled warrior princess Jedi who walks into a geyser in-between eruptions to chip a crystal off the walls. She overestimates herself and it's chipped but she builds the saber anyway out of a dragon tooth she hand-carves or whatever, then turns it on and it blows her loving hand off because she's bad at building stuff and rash and that's a super important message, don't be a loving idiot and ask someone good at electronics for help when making murder weapons at the age of 15. Anyway I loved the callback to the very first Star Wars novel because I was a weirdo nerd, and I guess I still am because how do I remember all of this???????

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

P sure some backstory from the animatrix and MMO explained it as machines wanting to preserve the human race for their own reasons (a form of creator respect).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In the new Disney continuity the crystals are now somewhat sapient and if you want a red lightsaber you have to torture your crystal until it starts bleeding

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Simply Simon posted:

I read the novels before I watched the movies and it's there in quite some detail. Apparently every Lightsaber has a crystal to "focus the light", which also gives the saber its color. It's hard to find good crystals on Tatooine, so Luke also makes the crystal in some furnace and has to be real careful with the cooling down process so it doesn't crack because that would be bad. Also the tension in the scene happens when he pushes the button to turn it on the first time and prays to the Force it doesn't blow his arm off, again.

I was confused when the scene wasn't in the movie because it was quite interesting, the technical details, you know? I was a weird kid and wanted to study engineering, went on to do that, hated it and became a cool chemist instead. Now I know the crystal stuff is bullshit.

Back to teenage me, however, I owned all the Star Wars expanded universe books and there's a series with the next generation of teenage Jedi apprentices and their wacky hijinks, and they all go on elaborate quests to find crystals that are ~just right~ and ~special~ for them. Chewbacca's son has to lasso the tonsil stones (crystal!) off a wookie-eating giant plant on their jungle homeworld (seriously), one of the Solo kids uses the Force to pull the crystal out of a freaking gas giant's core. And there's a cool and troubled warrior princess Jedi who walks into a geyser in-between eruptions to chip a crystal off the walls. She overestimates herself and it's chipped but she builds the saber anyway out of a dragon tooth she hand-carves or whatever, then turns it on and it blows her loving hand off because she's bad at building stuff and rash and that's a super important message, don't be a loving idiot and ask someone good at electronics for help when making murder weapons at the age of 15. Anyway I loved the callback to the very first Star Wars novel because I was a weirdo nerd, and I guess I still am because how do I remember all of this???????

That book series owned. Then Jacen goes on to become the next Force Hitler

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tunicate posted:

In the new Disney continuity the crystals are now somewhat sapient and if you want a red lightsaber you have to torture your crystal until it starts bleeding

much like youre posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Biplane posted:

much like youre posting

i am a dark lord of the poo poo