Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Coruscant is in the sesswenna sector. :colbert:

My man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Literally 12+ pages of Hosnian Prime = Coruscant. gently caress me sideways (like my old gifted av lol)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

porfiria posted:

It's going to be at least a little funny if Coruscant or Tattooine show up in the next movie.

I fully expect this to happen, but why do you want these movies to get even worse?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I fully expect this to happen, but why do you want these movies to get even worse?

Why do you assume the mere presence of Tatooine or Coruscant would make the movie worse?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

Why do you assume the mere presence of Tatooine or Coruscant would make the movie worse?

Ask yourself why they would chicken out on blowing up the actual galactic capital of Coruscant and replace it at the last minute with some fake planet nobody has ever heard of and realize that the answer is "an executive made this call late into production, probably to sell more toys"

And if they're doing that then it's likely they're going to keep imposing nonsensical decisions on the actual story tellers and it's going to negatively affect the franchise

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

Ask yourself why they would chicken out on blowing up the actual galactic capital of Coruscant and replace it at the last minute with some fake planet nobody has ever heard of and realize that the answer is "an executive made this call late into production, probably to sell more toys"

And if they're doing that then it's likely they're going to keep imposing nonsensical decisions on the actual story tellers and it's going to negatively affect the franchise

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that Hosnian Prime was "switched in" at he last minute? All the supplemental material, which would have had to be written, produced, printed, etc months in advance makes ZERO reference to Coruscant.

There's no "chickening out" here. They DID blow up the actual seat of New Republic leadership, which was never Coruscant.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jivjov posted:

I think you know why!

Because their explicit appearance in such a way as to muddle the clear story we have from the existing movies, where coruscant was destroyed and tatooine was renamed jakku, would place us firmly in the hands of the story group, for whom story is very much secondary to marketing. These are not the people who I want to see making movie making decisions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ah yes, a decision to broaden the universe and not confine things to planets we've already seen before is SOOOOO muddled.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's not a problem that Coruscant was destroyed in TFA and yet could well be revisited in Ep IX. Star Wars often lapses into the subjectivity of characters who see ghosts, the ideological fantasies of defeated Republicans, etc.

For ex., you have been told that The First Order "arose from the ashes of the Empire" by constructing a new fleet and training new armies on secret bases "stashed away" in The Outer Rim by the Empire. This is a conspiracy theory invented and cherished by the ousted victors of Galactic Civil War II. The reality is that The First Order and its rhetoric is just insanely popular in the Galactic Core.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 4, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Harime Nui posted:

It's not a problem that Coruscant was destroyed in TFA

This never happened.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Keep fighting the good goon fight, Jivjov.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Stop the planet Jakku I want to get off

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

It's not a problem that Coruscant was destroyed in TFA

It could be. That's where the big jedi temple was.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Separate from the argument, I do wonder why they didn't bother to just destroy Coruscant in TFA. It would have had more impact. I wonder if they were worried about upsetting fans of the prequels by having one of the main settings from that trilogy be destroyed after the briefest of brief cameos? Or do they have (I'm sure the vaguests of) plans to use it in the future? I know they've started building in some importance to some Sith temple underneath the Jedi temple, so maybe? And a Force tree, or something?

Like, I know all the EU stuff about moving the capital periodically. But, like, why did Lucasfilm decide to do that?

I don't buy someone above who said it was to sell more toys. Because it's not like they went on to sell a bunch of Hosnian Prime toys.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

spacetoaster posted:

It could be. That's where the big jedi temple was.

As far as we know, the temple on Coruscant is intact. Palpatine did remove quite a bit of stuff from it, but the building is still there

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

The reality is that The First Order and its rhetoric is just insanely popular in the Galactic Core.

From what I've seen online this actually the case in the new tie-in material

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Harime Nui posted:

It's not a problem that Coruscant was destroyed in TFA and yet could well be revisited in Ep IX. Star Wars often lapses into the subjectivity of characters who see ghosts, the ideological fantasies of defeated Republicans, etc.

For ex., you have been told that The First Order "arose from the ashes of the Empire" by constructing a new fleet and training new armies on secret bases "stashed away" in The Outer Rim by the Empire. This is a conspiracy theory invented and cherished by the ousted victors of Galactic Civil War II. The reality is that The First Order and its rhetoric is just insanely popular in the Galactic Core.

Ahaha, come on.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Separate from the argument, I do wonder why they didn't bother to just destroy Coruscant in TFA. It would have had more impact. I wonder if they were worried about upsetting fans of the prequels by having one of the main settings from that trilogy be destroyed after the briefest of brief cameos? Or do they have (I'm sure the vaguests of) plans to use it in the future? I know they've started building in some importance to some Sith temple underneath the Jedi temple, so maybe? And a Force tree, or something?

Like, I know all the EU stuff about moving the capital periodically. But, like, why did Lucasfilm decide to do that?

I don't buy someone above who said it was to sell more toys. Because it's not like they went on to sell a bunch of Hosnian Prime toys.

It wouldn't be about selling more Hosnian Prime, it would be about selling more things set on Coruscant.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

jivjov posted:

As far as we know, the temple on Coruscant is intact. Palpatine did remove quite a bit of stuff from it, but the building is still there

It got destroyed along with the planet in TFA as far as we know.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Jesus posted:

It got destroyed along with the planet in TFA as far as we know.

Nope. That's not what happened in TFA. That was Hosnian Prime, not Coruscant

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that Hosnian Prime was "switched in" at he last minute? All the supplemental material, which would have had to be written, produced, printed, etc months in advance makes ZERO reference to Coruscant.

There's no "chickening out" here. They DID blow up the actual seat of New Republic leadership, which was never Coruscant.

I can infer based on the way the stories are told that those locations -- assuming you're right that they aren't still those locations with different names -- were originally supposed to be the locations that everyone knew from previous stories. Which means either 1) they are still the same and exist under different names, which you have rejected so thoroughly that I have no interest in trying to convince you, 2) someone ordered them changed at some point or, 3) it turns out Jay Jabrams and Lawrence Kasdan are just really, really terrible writers who don't really know what the gently caress

Like:

jivjov posted:

Ah yes, a decision to broaden the universe and not confine things to planets we've already seen before is SOOOOO muddled.

is your argument here that we needed another desert planet and an unnamed capital city planet to "broaden the universe"?

Like setting aside all of the Jakku === Tatooine discussion, the case of Coruscant is super blatant. We are shown a fancy city planet that is the capital of the New Republic and then later someone mentions that the entire Hosnian System has been destroyed. Since the Hosnian System has never been mentioned before ever and no actual planet was named, most people* are going to assume that was Coruscant because that raises the stakes and it's the most obvious choice. If we had spent literally any time on this planet to see how or why it was different from Coruscant, that would be one thing, but this doesn't happen.

So my educated guess is that instead of Jabrams and Kasdan legitimately saying "well let's blow up some other non-Coruscant planet and just never mention the name in movie and spend no time there at all" which is nonsensical, I'm being generous to them and assuming that instead they got hit with the change from upper management after their draft had already been turned in. So they just decided to play coy with it and let the audience do the work of filling in the blanks, not caring that some Official Novella would later retcon their movie.

Likewise with Jakku, except that they couldn't just not name the planet that half the movie takes place on. Like SMg mentioned, Finn's joke about "why does everyone keep going back to Jakku(Tatooine)" makes way more sense as a double layered joke that is also effectively a meta-joke at the expense of the series, which JJ just left in out of spite. Or alternately they created another desert planet which has a special meaning for Luke and the Jedi but is explicitly not Tatooine, which would be bad storytelling. I side with the creatives in these cases and assume base competence, I don't care that an unpaid intern posted a map on a website.

* I legitimately do not give a shiiiiittt about sources outside the movies and neither do 99% of people who've seen them

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Jov’s done so much to bamboozle people that garbage like the above gets snuck into the thread uncommented-upon.

Further evidence that it is a deliberate tactic of obfuscation.

It may be garbage but this is the kind of stuff the Star Wars movies are about, SMG. Not Marxism. The heroes of the OT are a male-female pair who represent the gender duality of the Force. And you'll notice that neither Luke nor Leia are stereotypically masculine or feminine, but a mix of traits traditionally assigned to each gender. Luke's rejection of aggression and embrace of compassion saves the day in ROTJ (this comes notably after expressing an interest in his mother for the first time*), while Leia's willingness to fight and assert herself against authority also save the day multiple times (many commentators have noted the way she takes after her father).

There's a reason Lucas was obsessed with the idea of male-female twins and went to great lengths to insert the concept into his films even when it had no immediate relevance to the plot. It was because of the mythological resonance of the idea. It had nothing to do with owning liberals.

But I applaud your continued attempts to creatively rehabilitate movies you think are complete garbage.

*Lucas explains in commentary that Luke's compassion for him causes Vader to think of Padme.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 4, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

* I legitimately do not give a shiiiiittt about sources outside the movies and neither do 99% of people who've seen them

Cool. You don't care about Star Wars. Good for you. Doesn't make those sources not exist or non-canonical.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

Cool. You don't care about Star Wars. Good for you. Doesn't make those sources not exist or non-canonical.

I care more about Star Wars than you little buddy.

I don't think the authors of Star Wars are incompetent idiots, or that their work is so trivial that it could be upended by some hack Disney intern hastily filling out a memo so he can get to his cigarette break and flirt with Karen from HR

The Star Wars movies are stronger than that petty poo poo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

homullus posted:

It wouldn't be about selling more Hosnian Prime, it would be about selling more things set on Coruscant.

That wouldn't really stop them, they can just make Coruscant toys from eras set before TFA.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
"The blessed who study the Expanded Reading List will see the punishments of the Movie Plebs in hell, in order that their bliss will be more delightful for them." - St. Pablo the Rectificator, XX.I.X

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

OctoberCountry posted:

From what I've seen online this actually the case in the new tie-in material

I fail to see how any material on the TIE Interceptor would relate to the First Order considering the craft was designed and deployed 30 something years prior to their uprising.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

I fail to see how any material on the TIE Interceptor would relate to the First Order considering the craft was designed and deployed 30 something years prior to their uprising.

I see what you did here and I like it

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It turns out some bored individual on Reddit actually translated some of the text on the TFA map, taken from various shots in the movie.

Here are four confirmed locations:

This means Jivjov's extremely official map has Hoth and Endor in the wrong places:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The answer is Coruscant is one of the most important and popular locations in the franchise and they didn't have the balls to destroy it. Everyone wants to have the option to use a city-planet in stories going forward, so the only question is do you destroy Coruscant and create a new city-planet to use, or do you create a new city-planet to destroy and then continue using Coruscant. They chose the latter option.

I personally wouldn't really care. Coruscant's been featured in three movies (plus one cameo) already and you can always go back and set stories there in earlier time periods. The way I figure it Coruscant should have at least showed up in the first movie of the ST to set up the political situation, but after that there's no reason for it. But at the same time there shouldn't have been another planet-destroying superweapon in the first place, so the dilemma shouldn't have even come up.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I was quite involved in star wars as a kid and read a lot of the old eu stuff. I can remember a very distinct period of time where I was very well aware of what coruscant was yet it had yet to be dipicted in any iteration in a star wars film. It was very obvious to me when watching TFA that it was coruscant that was destroyed by the starkiller base and when somebody said something about the Hosnian system I had no loving clue what they were on about because there has never been a Hosnian system in star wars before and how the hell was i supposed to know what it was? Some other system I guess? Who knows

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fridge corn posted:

I was quite involved in star wars as a kid and read a lot of the old eu stuff. I can remember a very distinct period of time where I was very well aware of what coruscant was yet it had yet to be dipicted in any iteration in a star wars film. It was very obvious to me when watching TFA that it was coruscant that was destroyed by the starkiller base and when somebody said something about the Hosnian system I had no loving clue what they were on about because there has never been a Hosnian system in star wars before and how the hell was i supposed to know what it was? Some other system I guess? Who knows

Did you (and others) hate the Empire Strikes back for inventing another barren wasteland planet (but this one's cold!) for the opening of that movie?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Don't worry we are rapidly approaching a utopia where all knowledge about the Star Wars universe will be attained by emailing your queries directly to Disney who will have an intern with a B.A. in creative writing send you a reply within 48 hours

This will be the most pure form of getting the stories and any contradictions can be safely attributed to clerical error and fixed at a later time (by another intern who can just wing a response)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It turns out some bored individual on Reddit actually translated some of the text on the TFA map, taken from various shots in the movie.

Here are four confirmed locations:

This means Jivjov's extremely official map has Hoth and Endor in the wrong places:

Couldn't this be explained by the orientation of R2's map, as well as possibly the fact that it is three dimensional while the supplimental map is two dimensional?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

jivjov posted:

Nope. That's not what happened in TFA. That was Hosnian Prime, not Coruscant

Does anyone ever say the words “Hosnian Prime” in any movie?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

There's no yetis in the desert.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

jivjov posted:

Did you (and others) hate the Empire Strikes back for inventing another barren wasteland planet (but this one's cold!) for the opening of that movie?

No. I don't understand the point you're trying to make

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ferrinus posted:

Does anyone ever say the words “Hosnian Prime” in any movie?

You know it's the Hosnian system from dialog, "Hosnian Prime" is in the script, as well as other materials (that are canonical to the film)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

This would be an apt analogy if we saw Hoth for 20 seconds of screen time and it was still a desert planet and nobody mentioned its name in the movie

Then some twerp tells you "oh that wasn't Tatooine it was some new place called Hoth according to some guy on the Star Wars hotline who makes 5.50 per hour"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fridge corn posted:

No. I don't understand the point you're trying to make

"But but they could have just used Tatooine, all barren wasteland planets have to be Tatooine and any non Tatooine barren wasteland planets are secretly just Tatooine after a name change" -people in this thread