Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Hot Take: 1/1 Flying Lifelink in the colors of Convoke and Mentor is probably going to be the best a 1/1 Flying Lifelink has ever looked in a limited set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Don't care if surveil and jump start are bad, gonna play grixis all day in limited and mill some spells and cast them at my opponent's face. (Or maybe their dudes.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mr. Locke posted:

Hot Take: 1/1 Flying Lifelink in the colors of Convoke and Mentor is probably going to be the best a 1/1 Flying Lifelink has ever looked in a limited set.

trying to remember if Serra Ascendant ever got there, or if Vault Skirge was any good in limited.

it's better than Daggerdrone Imp, at least!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Well, at least this set has a good 0-cost 1/1 Flying card

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LifeLynx posted:

There will be relevant jumpstart cards, we just haven't seen anything other than limited fodder yet. If the real preview week wraps up and we haven't seen anything good with the mechanic, I'll start to worry.

This is the thread wherein someone compared Murmuring Mystic to Talrand negatively and no one noticed that 1) 1/5 is far, far better than 2/2 for sitting around and making tokens and 2) it's not legendary so a crowd of mystics can murmur about birds and create a loving migration of them each time you jump start some lovely card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I'm pretty sure you can. The mana will probably be good enough. Chainwhirler doesn't have to be played on T3 to make it good.
I think RRR combined with 2 other colors is a lot harder to cast than you're envisioning.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 4, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Chill la Chill posted:

It costs more and it should have some gravitas. Exile the creature perhaps, for it is not just killing, it is murder.

Every time I murder someone they go to the graveyard :shrug:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I think RRR combined with 2 other colors is a lot harder to cast than you're envisioning.

Not if there are 4 different good Rx dual lands in the format it's not.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

CornHolio posted:

If you dissolve the remains in strong acid, is that exiling them?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lone Goat posted:

At common? Maybe Exalted would be reasonable (or uncommon).

1/1 Flying Exalted was costed at 1W and it was great twice. 1/1 Flying Lifelink for W is very close to good enough by itself and if you have 2 Mentor creatures and 3 Convoke cards it'll be great.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CornHolio posted:

Just lol if you aren't building a flesh pile in your shed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

and we found our Golgari.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I think it'll depend on what else is going on; this effect might be strong enough that it's worth playing even if the other side is unreliable/uncastable.

Once all the gods and vehicles are gone, destroying all creatures starts looking pretty strong. If it turns out this is a "creature-value-midrange" type format, having an answer to Ghalta, Shalai, hexproof Merfolk, Carnage Tyrant (or whatever creatures end up being key) - and all at once - might be worth the jankiness cost (assuming a RB or RG or Rbg deck is generally viable).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Marketing New Brain posted:

Seems like a bomb uncommon in draft, but the rate on the good half seems a bit off for constructed. I wonder if this means we don’t get putrefy in these three sets and instead it’s shifted to something similar to this in order to get rid of the messy regen clause. I have a certain nostalgia for it and smother and I’ll be a little sad if they’re gone for better templating.

If there's a really aggressive izzet tempo deck in draft that has like, some Kiln Fiend type creatures and burn, I can see it being better than it looks in Limited.

Framboise posted:

On the hand of mechanics that ARE good, it seems like Overgrowth and Surveil do seem to synergize well. Also: if you surveil a Narcomoeba, it goes to the battlefield, right? That could be a fun little trick.

That doesn't seem like enough of a payoff to risk having to draw Narcomoeba. The only deck that remotely wants Narcomoeba is one that's doing some heavy self-mill, like Dredge. A two-mana 1/1 flyer is just not a card in constructed, so drawing it is actively terrible.

Maybe we get more graveyard mechanics next couple sets somewhere, with Orzhov maybe? I doubt we'll get anything powerful enough to make Narcomoeba playable in Standard.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 4, 2018

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

azealia banks is that you

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

jmzero posted:

I think it'll depend on what else is going on; this effect might be strong enough that it's worth playing even if the other side is unreliable/uncastable.

Once all the gods and vehicles are gone, destroying all creatures starts looking pretty strong. If it turns out this is a "creature-value-midrange" type format, having an answer to Ghalta, Shalai, hexproof Merfolk, Carnage Tyrant (or whatever creatures end up being key) - and all at once - might be worth the jankiness cost (assuming a RB or RG or Rbg deck is generally viable).

That specific effect isn't good enough to run 2 more colors in your mono-red deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

just lol at upshifting Narcomoeba to rare

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Scryfall is p good

https://twitter.com/CubeApril/status/1037101113818980352?s=19

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gatherer, meanwhile, has had comments and ratings broken since like 2013.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Entropic posted:

2011 I think.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Hellsau posted:

2011 I think.

Also, I can't help but think this is intentional

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Entropic posted:

All hands have been on deck to deliver the top notch digital product we expect in MTGO

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Entropic posted:

Why you ever want to read ratings and comments from the people that would leave them on Gatherer?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lone Goat posted:

Why you ever want to read ratings and comments from the people that would leave them on Gatherer?

This is probably why it hasn't been fixed.

The ratings were kind of interesting though, mostly for random poo poo like seeing which basic lands were rated highest.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I learned a lot of useful and interesting things perusing them as someone at the time with a mostly kitchen table understanding of the game.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

trying to remember if Serra Ascendant ever got there, or if Vault Skirge was any good in limited.

it's better than Daggerdrone Imp, at least!

I don't remember Skirge being great or anything but IIRC there were enough artifact synergies and good equipment for it to work out sometimes. Lifelink just doing nothing sometimes was less than ideal though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Gatherer was actually a great starting out point to learn about the game and some comments were surprisingly thoughtful and interesting.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
There are a lot of weird edge case rules things that I bet would get covered in the gatherer comments that can't be found from googling. Sometimes I have questions about cards interactions with certain mechanics or other cards and I bet others have had similar issues.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I can’t get over MaRo’s voice acting here
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1037120718373367810

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Thunderdome idea: choose an art color and build a deck with its results from this search.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so i'm guessing some websites are sleeping on their previews again, why else did we get nothing besides the website two days into the spoiler season

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kurtofan posted:

so i'm guessing some websites are sleeping on their previews again, why else did we get nothing besides the website two days into the spoiler season

Sleeping? I thought wotc set the reveal schedule.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rinkles posted:

Sleeping? I thought wotc set the reveal schedule.

They do but it's up to the people who receives the spoilers to actually reveal them. Otherwise they'll just pop up a day late on the magic website, that's what happened for a spoiler or two last time.

Or maybe it's just labor day screwing with the usual spoiler scheduling

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck
Official spoilers don't start until 10th, all we've had so far were early reveals from PAX, and the mechanics article from wotc. And I guess some of the cards + cool new basics from the guild packs

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cauldron Moose posted:

Official spoilers don't start until 10th, all we've had so far were early reveals from PAX, and the mechanics article from wotc. And I guess some of the cards + cool new basics from the guild packs

oh

that blows :(

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
These do not look good
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1037090450971209728

I wish they would do a nice matte finish on the premium cards instead of foiling them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tainen posted:

These do not look good

I wish they would do a nice matte finish on the premium cards instead of foiling them.

That kind of looks like what they were doing for the Masterpieces in BFZ and KLD unless I'm mistaken (I haven't actually opened up a Masterpiece myself :()

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tainen posted:

These do not look good

I didn't think they looked good before. Seeing the cheap 90's Marvel trading card finish makes it even worse.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Someday they’ll figure out how to do foil inlays so we can have signed rookie Rebecca Guay cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

suicidesteve posted:

I didn't think they looked good before. Seeing the cheap 90's Marvel trading card finish makes it even worse.

That's exactly what they remind me of now that you pointed it out.

On the one hand, I'm glad that all these premium/fancy/rare collectors cards are foil because I don't like foils, so it spares me from even wanting them. On the other, it'd be nice to get some cool frames or full art cards that aren't foiled at some point.