Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Isn't Cavill far too pretty to play him? Isn't Geralt supposed to be a Jonah hex level ugly sumbitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Isn't Cavill far too pretty to play him? Isn't Geralt supposed to be a Jonah hex level ugly sumbitch?

no, geralt fucks regularly

i do think the completely gray hair and cat eyes will look weird on cavill

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think book Geralt is said to be kind of ugly.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I think book Geralt is said to be kind of ugly.

ah, fair enough, i’m just going by the games, where he is a handsome fella

but i mean, this is a television show that stars superman, so he’s gonna be pretty

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

There's a picture of him literally there

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Him being a fan of the series is a huge plus.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think it’s meant to be that Witcher’s themselves are repulsive by nature to most people. Like if an otherwise really good looking dude was wearing a MAGA hat

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Like if an otherwise really good looking dude was wearing a MAGA hat

This example is too outlandish

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Retro Futurist posted:

I think it’s meant to be that Witcher’s themselves are repulsive by nature to most people. Like if an otherwise really good looking dude was wearing a MAGA hat

Nah everyone wants to bone Geralt

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Fangz posted:

Nah everyone wants to bone Geralt

And most do.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

not really, my understanding is that they often look/smell somewhat off because of the mutagens (and Geralt got off unusually light except for the white hair), but they're mostly socially disfavored because their actual job in society is "wandering exterminator" and they're potentially threatening to the local political and social power structures of xenophobic mud-spattered hamlets by virtue of being well-traveled sterile superhumans capable of tremendous violence

handy to have around if you've got a monster problem, but otherwise not particularly welcome to the powers that be (partially because they're so tempting to bone)

either way, Geralt definitely fucks

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 4, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently in the books the line about Geralt being ugly is from Geralt himself looking at a shapeshifter who turned into him and thinking he looks hideous, so it’s not really an objective description. And in some translations it’s not even ‘hideous’ but more like ‘nasty’ which is a different connotation.

He’s a white haired albino with cat eyes, but the games made him not albino.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I still need to finish The Witcher 3.

Glad Cavill has a passion for the books and games. I look forward to it.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Finally saw Deadpool 2 on an airplane after choosing to skip it in theaters based partly on mixed reviews in this very forum.

I thought it was great! Way better than the first one. I actually watched it again on the return flight. I think it's a really good movie. Sure, there were still some cringey jokes that fell flat, but I thought that everything rooted in Marvel history was excellent - Domino's whole shtick, the X-Force debacle, Juggernaut shenanigans, a lot of his dynamic with Cable. Remender's Uncanny X-Force is my favorite iteration of Deadpool (and one of my favorite comic series) and I thought the loose adaptation/influence of Deadpool trying to save a kid was really great. And it even felt like burnt-suit Deadpool was a direct visual homage to his X-Force incarnation.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently in the books the line about Geralt being ugly is from Geralt himself looking at a shapeshifter who turned into him and thinking he looks hideous, so it’s not really an objective description. And in some translations it’s not even ‘hideous’ but more like ‘nasty’ which is a different connotation.

He’s a white haired albino with cat eyes, but the games made him not albino.

Witcher 3 Geralt looks more gruesome the more potions and decoctions he drinks. The veins in his face get really bright and conspicuous.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Now I'm Curious who will play Yennifer and Triss and ciri. I guess it depends on if they keep Ciri as a little girl or age her up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1036985335740289024

That character has an entire beard, the DCCU is doomed

Even though video game Geralt has a sexy dad beard, he usually didn't have one in the books.

He's also much more of a skinny magic the gathering playing rear end in a top hat than a sexy dad in the official art for the books. And in the first game, for that matter.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

He is utterly fantastic as Drax and based on his performance in that role alone he is going to be just fine once he is done with Disney.

He didn't exactly pack the houses with "Hotel Artemis"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Might I entreat my lady to a game of gwent? Perchance some salted meats?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Witchers are supposed to be emotionally dead

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Aphrodite posted:

Eh, overrated. It also kind of flopped.

And he’s no Rock.

We get it. You think James Gunn is a pedophile.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Goffer posted:

Witchers are supposed to be emotionally dead

That's just a lie Witchers tell each other so they can cope with their stolen childhoods and the way society hates and fears them.
:goonsay:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One rumor site claimed an unknown actress named Anya Chalotra had been cast as Yennefer.

Little Mac posted:

We get it. You think James Gunn is a pedophile.

No, I think he's gross but probably hasn't harmed any children directly.

Batista though is a serial liar and all around piece of crap. He says toothless things about a company we don't like though so wow he's so cool go big Dave.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 4, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aphrodite posted:

One rumor site claimed an unknown actress named Anya Chalotra had been cast as Yennefer.

No, I think he's gross but probably hasn't harmed any children directly.

Batista though is a serial liar and all around piece of crap. He says toothless things about a company we don't like though so wow he's so cool go big Dave.

Lmao, okay bud.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Every page does not need to have the same people restating their opinions on James Gunn. Everybody knows where everybody stands by now.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Morons with terrible opinions can't really engage in conversations, so restating their opinions in a vacuum is the only play they've got to feed their bottomless hunger for attention. What we need to stop doing is giving it to them.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lobok posted:

Witcher 3 Geralt looks more gruesome the more potions and decoctions he drinks. The veins in his face get really bright and conspicuous.

Witcher 3 GOTY was the first Witcher game I played, and I breezed through the game without needing to use any potions or decoctions unless it was a story progression thing. I just upped that mutagen that had me regen health a shitload from food and I was as right as rain pretty much the entire time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jiro posted:

Witcher 3 GOTY was the first Witcher game I played, and I breezed through the game without needing to use any potions or decoctions unless it was a story progression thing. I just upped that mutagen that had me regen health a shitload from food and I was as right as rain pretty much the entire time.

While you were getting high only on life I was imbibing everything I could get my hands on. There were potions and decoctions for so many situations, some of them niche, it was like Geralt's life was one long drinking game. "Witch! Take a drink. Cloud of poison gas! Take a drink. Sunrise! Finish your drink!"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Captain Marvel is gonna be on the new EW cover; first look at the costume (and more?) at noon Eastern tomorrow. Likely means the trailer is due pretty soon as well, though EW itself doesn’t debut those.

https://twitter.com/ew/status/1037151762497654784?s=21

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Apparently Cavil said something stupid about #metoo so now he's literally hitler? That's what I'm seeing now.

And we're getting a Captain Marvel trailer tomorrow. I heard a rumor it was going to be this week but it was from CBR and they're the Ghost Study of comic book news.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Apparently Cavil said something stupid about #metoo so now he's literally hitler? That's what I'm seeing now.

It wasn't "something stupid" it was what a loving rapist would say.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

It wasn't "something stupid" it was what a loving rapist would say.

I had to look it up and

Henry Cavill posted:

"There's something wonderful about a man chasing a woman," he said. "There's a traditional approach to that, which is nice. I think a woman should be wooed and chased, but maybe I'm old-fashioned for thinking that."

"It's very difficult to do that if there are certain rules in place," Cavill said.
"Because then it's like: 'Well, I don't want to go up and talk to her, because I'm going to be called a rapist or something'," he said. "So you're like, 'Forget it, I'm going to call an ex-girlfriend instead, and then just go back to a relationship, which never really worked'. But it's way safer than casting myself into the fires of hell, because I'm someone in the public eye, and if I go and flirt with someone, then who knows what's going to happen?"

Holy crap :stonk:

Though it looks like he apologized, rather than double down on "no, its the WOMEN that are the problem" that so many guys have done.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Lurdiak posted:

That's just a lie Witchers tell each other so they can cope with their stolen childhoods and the way society hates and fears them.
:goonsay:

:colbert:

This reply is meant to say "Well Henry Cavill shouldn't have any problem playing one then!"

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

can't believe hank cavill, a man who's played the witcher 3 multiple times through and has read all the polish fantasy novels, has unfortunate views wrt dating

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barry Convex posted:

Captain Marvel is gonna be on the new EW cover; first look at the costume (and more?) at noon Eastern tomorrow. Likely means the trailer is due pretty soon as well, though EW itself doesn’t debut those.

https://twitter.com/ew/status/1037151762497654784?s=21

No break the internet means she's posing nude in a giant wine glass

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No break the internet means she's posing nude in a giant wine glass

Is that what Wreck It Ralph 2 is going to be about?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

twistedmentat posted:

And we're getting a Captain Marvel trailer tomorrow. I heard a rumor it was going to be this week but it was from CBR and they're the Ghost Study of comic book news.

EW doesn’t do trailer exclusives and Marvel almost always announces trailer releases in advance.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lurdiak posted:

Is that what Wreck It Ralph 2 is going to be about?

Yah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought Wreck is Ralph 2 was about the Disney Princesses casual outfits

• Locked thread