Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yeah just go slap the iron vein and hope for silver drops. The dungeon also has some one-time silver, gold, and gem veins.

I also like to make steel parts, both kinds of iron parts, and nails to sell to the blacksmith. Jamming out iron parts saps your stamina super fast so you can pass the time between sermons extra fast as well.

I did all the Dungeon stuff. Man, that was, not fun but at least manageble once I got Damask sword with gem.

I'll try the iron stuff, thanks. BS isn't buying Tier 2 stuff from me yet sadly, so I probably need to sell a bunch to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Fishing would have been a good way to spend time as well as making an income (fish is some major silver that handles the wonky economic 'simulation' they put in better than other merchandise) but somewhere in their patching the devs made time stand still while you're doing so. :shrug:

Aristocrat papers is probably the worst of the bullshit with a final gently caress you afterward why yes I'd like to wait another loving two weeks to end this game!.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I like this game but there’s definitely some balancing issues. Some stuff too cheap, some stuff too expensive, some stuff giving or using too much energy.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I dont mind some of the more wild imbalance because the whole game is just a Skinner box treadmill of giving you little pieces of candy after you do a bunch of work

I love it

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
:same:

Had a blast grinding out that 12 gold. This game is perfect for audiobooks or podcasts.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Xaris posted:

Well, I've maxed out pretty much all tech (except like Carved Wood, and the 300 blue death one for showing skulls). Carved wood especially seems like it's not really implemented and other unnecessary, so I'm done with the tech. I've also starting embalming and up to about 10 perfect corpses, but still limited on getting 5-skull corpses associated faith for marble stuff. That's fine although I guess we don't have any new church goes to work towards after 200 anyways right?

Right now I'm trying to get Aristocrat Papers and holy hell the game has ground to a massive halt. I have about 3 NPCs waiting on me to grab that and right now only at 5.5 gold. I'm using a gold-star Combo Faith with 80-church and 300-graveyard, and only get about ~50-60silver a week from that; running boxes to the Trade Office is kind of obnoxious and I tried to make a train to push them all but the physics in this are wonky. I usually couple that with selling some Gold/Silver Wine which helps but still not much. Are there any other get-quick-rich things I should be doing? It looks like maybe the best thing to do is just mine/cut iron ore for sweet Silver Ore to sell as Ingots?

Or does someone know the CE memory address for money just so I set myself at like 10.5 gold because yikes

Stored as a float, where 1=1 silver, so 100=1 gold. Search for your current money, earn/spend some and repeat. Copper are decimal, so 102.43 would be 1 gold, 2 silver, 43 copper

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
What are you guys doing to make your church better? I'm at about 22 church points but haven't invested in candles or incense because both seem like a huge pain in the rear end.

I went ahead and managed to make myself a gold star combo prayer. What I didn't realise is that it requires 60 church points to reach 100% success.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Vasler posted:

What are you guys doing to make your church better? I'm at about 22 church points but haven't invested in candles or incense because both seem like a huge pain in the rear end.

I went ahead and managed to make myself a gold star combo prayer. What I didn't realise is that it requires 60 church points to reach 100% success.

You can build candelabras that give ✞ without needing candles to be put and lit. I only used candelabras, wall candelabras, and confessionals. I eventually upgraded to soft benches when it was an option and I'm over 60 iirc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vasler posted:

Yeah you aren't going to be getting that at this point. I would recommend holding off on the gold star until you fully upgrade to the cathedral. For using the silver one you can stock up with all soft benches plus all the candle holders you can fit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Vasler posted:

Yeah you aren't hitting 60 church points with the tier 2 church. Once its upgraded to Cathedral, you can do it.

Candles in this are awful because hives just do not drop beeswax, and holy poo poo 20 bees for an mini hive? Get hosed.

There are quite a lot of just little minor nuances and balance things that suck despite being a loving good game besides that.

That said, get the Soft Church Benches and loadup your church with 6 of them as soon as you can. Loadup the wall with Tier 2 Wall Candalbaras/Candelbaras wherever possible. Get the Stone Prayer Shrine and put two of them up top near the podium/cross. Then get 2 Confessional II's and put them across from each on the benches. Speaking of which Tier 3 Candelabras/Wall Candelabras can get hosed as well. 2 god drat Gold Jewelry things for them? Nah I'll pass given Gold Ore is more limited.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Besides, upgrading the church only benefits how much faith you're getting out of sermons plus success rates. Once you reach 60 you can basically call it complete.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How well does this play with a gamepad controller?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
There is a beekeeper npc who sells bees and bee products. Bees have a base price of 1 silver. I don't think he buys bee products so you need to cook to turn honey into money.

Also gamepad works great but I find that any crafting with variable inputs requires me to click the craft button with the mouse.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Gamepad is the correct way to play. Also, they fixed that bug.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Xaris posted:

That said, get the Soft Church Benches and loadup your church with 6 of them as soon as you can. Loadup the wall with Tier 2 Wall Candalbaras/Candelbaras wherever possible. Get the Stone Prayer Shrine and put two of them up top near the podium/cross. Then get 2 Confessional II's and put them across from each on the benches. Speaking of which Tier 3 Candelabras/Wall Candelabras can get hosed as well. 2 god drat Gold Jewelry things for them? Nah I'll pass given Gold Ore is more limited.

This is all good advice. A few further notes:

* Soft benches take silk, which is only available by buying it from the Merchant. Don’t get caught up in putting it off thinking you’ll source it eventually.
* Confessionals drop faith and stories occasionally, so they’re super awesome.
* Because it’s available early, you may get caught up in trying to build a Stained Glass Window. Don’t bother: even though it’s unlockable as like the fourth tech, it only goes into Cathedrals. Also, you’re u can make one, which seems really weird (former Catholic, though, so I’m used to thirty or so in a church)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Just finished the game, and man, the twists they throw into the literal last minute are hilarious.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Town's gone to poo poo (the village is a-ok for some reason), apocalypse is here but hey let's gather together at the spot where our last graveyard keeper disappeared and everything exploded. Surely nothing can go wrong? :psyduck:

Yeah, that was not signposted at all.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is this game Stardew Valley? I’m looking for a game that’s Stardew Valley.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I just started playing and it is similar to SDV in some ways but much more complex in others. I didn't like it at first but I'm getting more into it the more I play.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It has all the same gameplay verbs as Stardew Valley but none of the seasonal flow and is much more about doing A-B-C in a constant progression toward other things to satisfy quests.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zesty posted:

This game is like if someone made a mod for Stardew Valley to turn it into Factorio.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zesty posted:

I'm sorry, you're in the wrong house. This is the Graveyard Keeper's home. Go up the road a little, closer to town, you'll find the farm.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Zesty posted:

We don’t water our plant here. :colbert:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

If you’re actually looking for Stardew Valley but darker, go check out Gleaner Heights.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

skeleton warrior posted:

If you’re actually looking for Stardew Valley but darker, go check out Gleaner Heights.
Thank you, I have been searching for a darker harvest moon ever since the kickstarter one failed.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Nyaa posted:

Thank you, I have been searching for a darker harvest moon ever since the kickstarter one failed.

Whitch one was that, was it Kynseed? I remember seeing that one mentioned in a 'upcoming games' video and never saw anything else about it. It has a page on Steam but its not released yet.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zesty posted:

Honestly, yes, in a lot of ways. I know a lot of people keep saying "stop comparing it to SV its not even teh same game!" but I think in terms of more chill whimsical doing-poo poo game with cutesy graphics, some farming, fishing, mining, selling poo poo, it ticks many of the same boxes and great on :420:

However, it is even more chill than SV as it does not have seasons, it's basically a rotating week where some NPCs are out on each different days but you never have to wait very long to reinteract. There isn't even an in-game date-counter so you can take as long as you want and never feel bad. In SV you are also checking calender and trying to prepare for upcoming poo poo, and if you missed it youre waiting another year, and there's more emphasis on farming with watering and stuff, this is more "plant seed->collect in 3 days, replant seed"

It's gameplay is more "Ok I gotta get A to give to B to complete C and then X -> Y -> Z". There are also only like <7 NPCs with any dialogue and quests that require you to do to finish the game (basically core is doing poo poo so you can complete NPC quests), and maybe like 3 or 4 that sell poo poo only. SV has much more NPC interaction with a whole town and gifting and things as well. So there's a rather large difference there

But in the end, if you are just looking for a chillout whimsical sprite-based game with doing-poo poo and no time pressure or anything, I think it'll click for you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really like the overall look and feel of the game, but from the gameplay I've watched the alchemy and cult stuff doesn't fill up very much of the game and those are the parts I'm most interested in. Yeah running the church is cool but I wanna get in on the demon stuff from the get go, I mean you start with a talking skull!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Alchemy is actively the worst even when you guide it. Why yes I want to cross reference 24 bits and bobs made by any of 1-3 things each to create some piece of junk that mixes with 1 thing at the desk to finally make the thing I'm looking for.

The cult is just another black hole of questing.

The game is at its best when its at its worst: trying to figure out how to become a gold holder in between giving everyone their bespoke quest bullshit.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Demiurge4 posted:

I really like the overall look and feel of the game, but from the gameplay I've watched the alchemy and cult stuff doesn't fill up very much of the game and those are the parts I'm most interested in. Yeah running the church is cool but I wanna get in on the demon stuff from the get go, I mean you start with a talking skull!

Yeah, when I ran into the cult stuff, I was like, “oh cool, this game has multiple paths to success, one through working with the bishop and upgrading the church, one for making the cult great, and one for getting rich through the merchant, that seems like a neat division of potential mechanics between farming/dungeoneering and bad graveyardinv/church and good graveyarding”

But no, it’s all shallow and you do everything. It’s fun, but it feels smaller than it could be.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

So the very first thing the town poet asks me, the Graveyard Keeper, for is to get him some paper. How... How... does he think I'm going to make paper?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LLSix posted:

So the very first thing the town poet asks me, the Graveyard Keeper, for is to get him some paper. How... How... does he think I'm going to make paper?

He does let you know that the old astrologer sells the stuff, so he's really just bumming money and taking advantage of a new face in town.

Does make you wonder how many other people arrived here through car accidents though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone know what the impact of extracting organs from a body is? The wiki lists different impacts on different pages; e.g. one page says removing the heart removes two skulls of random color and the morgue page says it removes 0-3 red skulls and 0-2 white skulls.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

Anyone know what the impact of extracting organs from a body is? The wiki lists different impacts on different pages; e.g. one page says removing the heart removes two skulls of random color and the morgue page says it removes 0-3 red skulls and 0-2 white skulls.

The three important bits are semi random, I think? You can see the effect with the last perk of the anatomy tree, but it changes with each body.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Dalaram posted:

You can eat them for 2 energy a pop.

Graveyard Keeper: You can eat them for 2 energy a pop.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
A friend told me about this and warned me that it’s not really worth getting. I read a lot of negative reviews, watched some YouTube videos that were mediocre or negative. All signs pointed to this being a bad game.

Bought it anyway and I’m enjoying it. I guess I’m a sucker for grindy busywork games.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Plot or direction-wise, it isn't a good game. I don't really have many concrete goals now that aren't "buy a license for this or that". But I don't really care I'm enjoying spending days harvesting wood to keep the crematorium burning and making far too much wine and harvesting a pretty random selection of crops. It's fun!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

graventy posted:

Plot or direction-wise, it isn't a good game. I don't really have many concrete goals now that aren't "buy a license for this or that". But I don't really care I'm enjoying spending days harvesting wood to keep the crematorium burning and making far too much wine and harvesting a pretty random selection of crops. It's fun!

It is basically what you would get if you mixed the mechanics of Stardew Valley and the weirdly satisfying tedium of 20 hours of Farming Simulator together. No direction or clear goals, just keep buying more expensive stuff until either you die or your hard drive does.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You are just aallllways busy, there's so much stuff to do and in the pursuit of x you tend to lose sight of y until you suddenly remember and go full steam in some other direction.

Like, a character asks you for some gold-star burgers. Alright, time to cook!
Except you need gold-star onions for that. Okay whatever, time to grow some onions first. The farmer only sells you silver-star seeds though, so you need to make your own boost-fertilizer to get it up to gold rating.
BUT for that, you need a high-grade alchemy table! Which needs some complicated woodwork, so you need to upgrade your carpenter's bench first, and that means getting some more wood precessed. You also need advanced flasks, which means you need a furnace to make you some glass first, for which you need ash so you gotta first do your actual job as a graveyard keeper and autopsy/incinerate some corpses. Which is good, because the ACTUAL recipe for the fertilizer also requires even more ash, and other alchemic solutions for which you'll probably have to go out and collect some flowers or mushrooms for. Eventually.
But first, you need to grow and harvest something else, and compost the harvesting waste to get some peat as a base for your effective fertilizer! You might as well grow some wheat, since you'll need to eventually bake some buns for the burgers. Remember the burgers???
You then notice that you can't actually make the advanced flasks or your new carpenter's work bench yet, because you still need blue skill points to learn the technology first. Where to get blue skill points? Not easy... Mostly through doing your actual job, and interring people (instead of incinerating them like you did before, so more work), or more precisely, carving grave decorations for them. Time to visit the quarry to get some materials for gravestones?
Oh what, you don't know the quarry? Just take a week off and explore, find it, and then build a camp with important workstations on site, then come back to what you were doing.

Uh, what was that again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

HenryEx posted:

You are just aallllways busy, there's so much stuff to do and in the pursuit of x you tend to lose sight of y until you suddenly remember and go full steam in some other direction.

Like, a character asks you for some gold-star burgers. Alright, time to cook!
Except you need gold-star onions for that. Okay whatever, time to grow some onions first. The farmer only sells you silver-star seeds though, so you need to make your own boost-fertilizer to get it up to gold rating.
BUT for that, you need a high-grade alchemy table! Which needs some complicated woodwork, so you need to upgrade your carpenter's bench first, and that means getting some more wood precessed. You also need advanced flasks, which means you need a furnace to make you some glass first, for which you need ash so you gotta first do your actual job as a graveyard keeper and autopsy/incinerate some corpses. Which is good, because the ACTUAL recipe for the fertilizer also requires even more ash, and other alchemic solutions for which you'll probably have to go out and collect some flowers or mushrooms for. Eventually.
But first, you need to grow and harvest something else, and compost the harvesting waste to get some peat as a base for your effective fertilizer! You might as well grow some wheat, since you'll need to eventually bake some buns for the burgers. Remember the burgers???
You then notice that you can't actually make the advanced flasks or your new carpenter's work bench yet, because you still need blue skill points to learn the technology first. Where to get blue skill points? Not easy... Mostly through doing your actual job, and interring people (instead of incinerating them like you did before, so more work), or more precisely, carving grave decorations for them. Time to visit the quarry to get some materials for gravestones?
Oh what, you don't know the quarry? Just take a week off and explore, find it, and then build a camp with important workstations on site, then come back to what you were doing.

Uh, what was that again?

It's also nice because almost everything that you do works towards some permanent improvement. The incremental progress is just that - progress. You are moving forward in tangible ways and laying groundwork to make future crafting either possible or more efficient