Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dragon quest has some of the best monster designs of the entire genre. I think I wasted 30 minutes looking at all the animations in the log book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'd be more pleased by the monster design if they didn't have the same ones since essentially the beginning of the series. I like the new ones though, especially the Jockules/Jerkules. Just a big dumb slab of muscle that punches good.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I think one of my biggest issues with the DQM series is that it's hard to get excited about a large portion of the early-game monsters. They're good in terms of being things you're meant to beat the poo poo out of but three different colored slimes and a bat isn't an easy party to get attached to.

DQM/Digimon have the leg up on Pokemon though in terms of a fun power curve, where no single Pokemon is going to make you strong as hell aside from maybe high-level legendaries, whereas the aforementioned games have a wildly different power curve where you can get overpowered early on if you know what you're doing. Going to islands you're not supposed to be at yet and capping a single high-level monster to fuse into your main team makes the game wild

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I like fighting the same enemies in DQ

it puts a smile on my face, like seeing an old friend after a long time

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

don't you talk poo poo about Hale

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Caphi posted:

How much of an okama stereotype is the bard because I looked at the characters and my prediction was MAX.

None of the reviews I read seemed to think he was handled badly at all, even the ones that mentioned stuff like Puff Puff being a bit..played out, shall we say.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The bard fellow (actually a circus performer) is preeeeetty flamboyant, throwing out darlings and honeys and with a definite affectation to his voice. I feel like it stops short of being offensive though, but of course I'm not exactly a good metric for that sort of thing. He doesn't do anything sexually aggressive, so I mean that's a step above a lot of detections in video game media.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 4, 2018

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

On one hand yeah we've been beating the same monsters for like 30 years in the series but on the other hand slimes are rad as hell

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
metal slimes are probably the best enemy in any jrpg ever

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Charlie Bobson posted:

I’ve always felt it was a failing of the series’ localization to never have snuck in mettle slime somewhere, but yeah, same.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Sylvando is very gay but he's also portrayed as confident and competent, there's not really anything inherently wrong with a character being flamboyant if it's not ridiculed or portrayed as worthy of scorn.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

I got a laugh out of seeing a couple in the dragon chase real early in XI.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh poo poo the trailer for that stacking RPG from Nippon Ichi hit. I was not expecting an action RPG. It actually looks amazing and I want it now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oEGPuSo4rdE

It’s for Switch and PS4.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Looks like single player Maplestory with stacking. Meh.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Sylvando is my beautiful confidant boyfriend

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
5 of the 7 current Japanese PS+ titles are CH/IF shovelware. Christ guys.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still better than Destiny 2

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Really? Are they really? Because Destiny 2 doesn't have any 'rub these underage animes!' mechanics so I'm pretty sure it wins by default.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope.

Destiny 2 may be average at best but at least it's not 75% reused assets and 10% apathetic "game design" and 15% anime lolis being hypersexualized.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

DQM/Digimon have the leg up on Pokemon though in terms of a fun power curve, where no single Pokemon is going to make you strong as hell aside from maybe high-level legendaries

Magikarp and Abra, once you evolve them in to Gyarados and Kadabra, become rear end-stomping murdermons and they're both usually available real early in Pokemon games. That's also excluding that in Gen 1 Alakazam was second only to Mewtwo because special was both special atk and def and he was fast enough to outspeed pretty much anything and you also could get protect on yours if you were afraid you might not one-shot things or be about to out-recovery spam them.

You can also solo a bunch of games using certain starter Pokemon. The grass-type in Platinum is one of the best for doing so, iirc.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Can you actually get in to fights with them? I assume all of those monsters are setup to always be outside of range but I was very, very tempted to reset and try my luck even though soloing a metal slime would've been next to impossible.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can you actually get in to fights with them? I assume all of those monsters are setup to always be outside of range but I was very, very tempted to reset and try my luck even though soloing a metal slime would've been next to impossible.

You can if you dash - I ran into a monster by mistake. You won't really be able to aim at specific monsters because of the camera.

The dragon joins in, though, so it is a real bad idea to do anything but run.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Destiny 2 is basically the best movement pacing and gun feel you're going to get in a shooter released in the year 2018. Pretty much the biggest criticism about the game is the lack of content which got it a ton of flak, and now people are just regurgitating "haha destiny 2 sux" without understanding why, and it's not because it's a bad game.

Then again, CH/IF does have this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Pca0I_Qfc&t=506s

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Destiny 2 is basically the best movement pacing and gun feel you're going to get in a shooter released in the year 2018. Pretty much the biggest criticism about the game is the lack of content which got it a ton of flak, and now people are just regurgitating "haha destiny 2 sux" without understanding why, and it's not because it's a bad game.

Then again, CH/IF does have this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Pca0I_Qfc&t=506s

Yeah honestly the only real points of contention wrt Destiny 2 were lack of content at launch and the fact that they made some lovely changes with loot that encouraged you to spend money on loot crates but that's standard in tyool 2018 so I don't see how it's even worth hating on. The game itself is solid and fun, especially if you have friends with you but not limited to that, and the goon guilds are all really friendly even if you're a loser with no friends/none that are interested in playing with you.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Verranicus posted:

Yeah honestly the only real points of contention wrt Destiny 2 were lack of content at launch and the fact that they made some lovely changes with loot that encouraged you to spend money on loot crates but that's standard in tyool 2018 so I don't see how it's even worth hating on. The game itself is solid and fun, especially if you have friends with you but not limited to that, and the goon guilds are all really friendly even if you're a loser with no friends/none that are interested in playing with you.

I played until my graphics card exploded in December so I don't even know about the real life money lootboxing, but yeah I enjoyed my time with the game. Did the raid with goons and it was p fun

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Cool. Sounds like a solid investment of my $0

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Getsuya posted:

Yeah for free Destiny 2 is a loving amazing deal

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Destiny 2 is basically the best movement pacing and gun feel you're going to get in a shooter released in the year 2018.

what other fps games of note have come out in 2018

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Getsuya posted:

Be sure to join one of the goon guilds and discords. They're cool dudes who are fun to play with.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
trying to gauge if this means destiny is good or the state of sp fps is just awful

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DisDisDis posted:

Uh Blops 4 in a month or two

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Destiny 2 was released in 2017, by the way. There's an expansion coming up (or maybe it was just released?), though.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

i saw those, audibly gasped and then almost began chasing after them

every game ever should have a metal slime equivalent imo

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DisDisDis posted:

trying to gauge if this means destiny is good or the state of sp fps is just awful

The answer is both. It’s genuinely fun to play.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Destiny 2 is basically the best movement pacing and gun feel you're going to get in a shooter released in the year 2018.

but is it better than Doom or Prey

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DisDisDis posted:

I mean more of the fact that every shooter coming out now is either a battle royale game which, let's face it, doesn't really accentuate gunplay, or they go with the super-realistic military shooty angle. There's almost no arcadey shooters anymore that actually feel tight and good to play. For reference, my favorite FPS is Dirty Bomb but that game is dead. Destiny gets the gun feel very close, but even though the movement is more floatey due to the space/jetpack poo poo, it's still good and responsive because you need to be able to dodge poo poo mid-air.

Escape from Tarkov is a great game with super-realistic gunplay mechanics, but the core appeal of that game is more in the strategy and management aspects. I don't know what CoD is doing these days, but CS:GO is in the same boat of slow-movement realistic guns. If you're looking for a faster paced shooter, Destiny is basically cream of the crop right now

Really Pants posted:

but is it better than Doom or Prey

Doom is better because the lack of jetpacks means the movement is always super tight, but you're not gonna get the same mileage out of Doom as you are an MMO. Destiny beats out Prey for sure though, no question.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 5, 2018

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Destiny 2 leans far more into the FPS/RPG hybrid stuff than Doom or Prey so they're not even really comparable. Loot and quests and such are a huge part of the experience.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Destiny beats out Prey for sure though, no question.

Jesus Christ no.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

kirbysuperstar posted:

Jesus Christ no.

I mean Prey is a great game but let's not pretend the gunplay is anything special. There could be zero guns in the game and Prey would be just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Prey beats Destiny in every category, and Prey isn't even a shooter. Firing and strafing alone won't down a Typhoon.