Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

jonathan posted:

I like having the latest OS.
To do what? You're not booting Linux on your phone are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Incessant Excess posted:

It'll do more to sell phones than 3 years of guaranteed OS updates.

"Lookit the cool thing ~my~ phone can do that ~yours~ can't! Who runs Bartertown?!?"

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is OnePlus still a joke like it was when it first came around? The 6T or whatever it's called looks like it could be neat and the Pixel 3 looks a bit underwhelming

I remember this thread not being too high on OnePlus but I haven't followed this stuff in a bit

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nimper posted:

To do what? You're not booting Linux on your phone are you?

Have the latest thing because gadgets and tinkering.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Interesting – I guess ProtonMail's notification setting got changed (within the app, not by going to the App Info screen in the main OS) after an upgrade or something. I dug through those settings and now I'm happy. Thank you!

bull3964 posted:

This isn't behavior that's really changed in 9. With Android, you never been able to assign per app notification sounds from the system wide app settings. Custom notification sounds have to be set within the app itself in their own notification settings.

If the app doesn't give the ability to do a custom notification sound, you are stuck with the system default.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've yet to hear any real horror stories about the Oneplus 6 but they do not have what you'd call a history that inspires confidence.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

bull3964 posted:

This isn't behavior that's really changed in 9. With Android, you never been able to assign per app notification sounds from the system wide app settings. Custom notification sounds have to be set within the app itself in their own notification settings.

If the app doesn't give the ability to do a custom notification sound, you are stuck with the system default.

This may not be always true.

When I upgraded to a new phone I noticed that my custom notification sound settings for Twitter had broken (I guess the automatic backup of app settings didn't quite stick?) but I couldn't find the settings in the app itself (presumably they had been moved in an update because that is certainly where I set them).

Instead, I had to go to Apps & Notifications, then select Notifications instead of App Info, then select the Notifications item in THAT menu to open up a list of apps, then pick the app in question, then tap the text (rather than the toggle) on one of the various notification triggers listed in the app's page to bring up ANOTHER submenu through which I could (among other things) select a custom sound.

So this is obviously far from ideal but if your app's developers did the same dumb thing Twitter's did, you might find a custom sound setting just past the proverbial Beware of the Leopard sign.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

So this is obviously far from ideal but if your app's developers did the same dumb thing Twitter's did, you might find a custom sound setting just past the proverbial Beware of the Leopard sign.

Using notification channels is preferable to reimplementing them in the app settings though a well designed settings page should dump you to the proper channel.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wha'd be swell would be a phone that worked on Verizon with audiophile quality audio AND a good camera, maybe wide angle. The LG Thinq 7 looks pretty close but it's camera is kinda sad compared to the Pixel 2. It's just never going to happen.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

feedmegin posted:

You do realise 'running a custom ROM' and 'has root enabled' are not the same thing, right?
Granted I thought / am still unsure if you can do this on an S9 due to knox, but regardless of rooting or not my point stands.
Last time I looked at this on a non-knox device just about every ROM going comes with root access set, and if you try to unset it you break a load of stuff.

On samsung in particular doing any of what he wants to do voids the warranty, and knox will always show it happened.
His whole argument is like saying his PC came with Office for free, and it's "bloated" and slower because of it. It's just not how phones/computers work.

Anyway I'll drop this here and let him carry on in 2011.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

jonathan posted:

I like having the latest OS. I should've gotten something that runs vanilla android but the pixel line I wasn't ok with and I did a bunch of searching and the s9 seemed like I could make it work. But I can't. Oh well I might just sell it because it's annoying. Although it's a lot better without Bixby or the Samsung apps.

This still doesn't make sense to me. Firstly because Linux, the kernel, i.e. the bit of software you are talking about, isn't an OS. It's just the kernel.

Second is because I don't understand what actual real-world benefits that a newer version of the Linux kernel would bring to an Android device, compared to a slightly out of date one. In general the Linux kernel has been finished, in terms of having all the well-working facilities a modern kernel should have, for like over a decade at this point, so you can't mean anything like this. So you must mean that some newer kernel feature(s) are giving you a benefit. Which newer kernel features are you referring to?

Note: I am a computer scientist who has had code accepted into the kernel, so please don't feel like you have to hold back on the technical detail.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redeyes posted:

Wha'd be swell would be a phone that worked on Verizon with audiophile quality audio AND a good camera, maybe wide angle. The LG Thinq 7 looks pretty close but it's camera is kinda sad compared to the Pixel 2. It's just never going to happen.
Lucky for you, I happen to sell audio tuning crystals you can glue to your phone to improve the warmth of your phone's audio!

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

OK, my notification woes aren't entirely gone. Another example; Daylio, who explains how to turn off the notification sound:

I understand things have changed since 7.0 Nougat, so the wording won't be exactly the same. But it sounds like there used to be sound options here and now there's not:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

iluvpr0n posted:

OK, my notification woes aren't entirely gone. Another example; Daylio, who explains how to turn off the notification sound:

I understand things have changed since 7.0 Nougat, so the wording won't be exactly the same. But it sounds like there used to be sound options here and now there's not:

I had the same issue! Turns out you can tap on the text (backup, reminders, etc) for more options. You can toggle sounds within.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Those are notification channels. The app has basically created a category of notification called "Reminders" and Android lets you customize that individual category. It is all highly dependent on how the app was written. The app developer created different categories and assigns a category to the notification. You will have to go inside every single category and disable the sound.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Note: I am a computer scientist who has had code accepted into the kernel, so please don't feel like you have to hold back on the technical detail.

I like having the latest official android release in its most vanilla form, I've had every nexus device made. And the newest pixel phones don't agree with me (I use headphones at work to block machine noise and Bluetooth cans don't cut it). Saying has a horrible track record of abandoning their devices as soon as a new money maker is out, so I'd rather have a custom ROM with monthly builds I can update.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jonathan posted:

I like having the latest official android release in its most vanilla form, I've had every nexus device made. And the newest pixel phones don't agree with me (I use headphones at work to block machine noise and Bluetooth cans don't cut it). Saying has a horrible track record of abandoning their devices as soon as a new money maker is out, so I'd rather have a custom ROM with monthly builds I can update.

If you're wanting to go all useless turbonerd on your phone and install a custom kernel version for whatever horrifically stupid or ignorant reason, please go to the rooted thread as this topic isn't suitable nor appropriate for this one. Thanks.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Uthor posted:

I had the same issue! Turns out you can tap on the text (backup, reminders, etc) for more options. You can toggle sounds within.

Nalin posted:

Those are notification channels. The app has basically created a category of notification called "Reminders" and Android lets you customize that individual category. It is all highly dependent on how the app was written. The app developer created different categories and assigns a category to the notification. You will have to go inside every single category and disable the sound.

Wow. I've been using an Android since the HTC Hero and this is one of the first times I've been actually confused by the interface and didn't know to click those individual items for additional options. I like that level of granularity, but wish it had a visual clue to show you can go deeper. You've blown my mind and saved my sanity – thank you.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I dislike the idea of my phone running a ROM that relies on the guy maintaining it not to get bored with it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

iluvpr0n posted:

Wow. I've been using an Android since the HTC Hero and this is one of the first times I've been actually confused by the interface and didn't know to click those individual items for additional options. I like that level of granularity, but wish it had a visual clue to show you can go deeper. You've blown my mind and saved my sanity – thank you.

We were just talking about this a couple pages back. It's terrible UI but then, we are moving in a Samsung direction and the market has spoken so horrible UX it is!

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Incessant Excess posted:

I dislike the idea of my phone running a ROM that relies on the guy maintaining it not to get bored with it.

I've got bad news about any Google maintained software.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Google may abandon one messenger app after another but they are consistently improving Android itself in notable ways, battery management for example. I would also consider my Pixel 2 to be very stable and overall bug free.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that seems like a good use of screen real estate! Good work!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shai-Hulud posted:

You have your car in the wrong orientation.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

iluvpr0n posted:

There actually IS a visual cue for it. It actually took me a long time to figure it out too, but if a checkbox or a slider has a vertical line directly left of the icon, it doubles as a submenu.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

jonathan posted:

[Samsung] has a horrible track record of abandoning their devices as soon as a new money maker is out, so I'd rather have a custom ROM with monthly builds I can update.
No, they don't. They're far from the best out there but the S6 got 3 years.
Released April 2015, current patch June 2018 (expected as the last).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

While the orientation issue sucks (and I think I read was being addressed but who know with how slowly AA is updated), the worst thing about car UIs is there's too much information all at once.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone feel like the automatic song recognition the Pixel 2 does has gotten a lot faster since Pie? It used to take it's sweet time even with common songs but it's pretty snappy now.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
drat I'm really liking my essential phone. Hopefully they stick around for a part two (so I can buy it later for dirt cheap lol)

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Why in the poo poo are phones getting so drat big now.

Can I get some flagship specs in a 5.5"er or even a 5"er? This thing needs to live in my pocket and have me not feel like I'm going to snap it over my thigh every time I sit down. I'm not wearing baggy cargo pants everywhere I go.

Eyeing that Pixel 3 since my Xperia Z5 Compact is starting to get really hot just doing basic things.

Was looking at the Xiaomi / Pocophone because of value + flagship specs, but these normal sized phones are what we called phablets a year or two ago.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Can I get some flagship specs in a 5.5"er or even a 5"er? This thing needs to live in my pocket and have me not feel like I'm going to snap it over my thigh every time I sit down. I'm not wearing baggy cargo pants everywhere I go.

Eyeing that Pixel 3 since my Xperia Z5 Compact is starting to get really hot just doing basic things.

Was looking at the Xiaomi / Pocophone because of value + flagship specs, but these normal sized phones are what we called phablets a year or two ago.

I went from X3 Compact to XZ1 Compact due to a good bargain offer (yes, it's a year old, but it'll get Pie same time as XZ2 Compact). Doesn't seem like Sony is really getting any real competition in this space.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

scaevola posted:

I went from X3 Compact to XZ1 Compact due to a good bargain offer (yes, it's a year old, but it'll get Pie same time as XZ2 Compact). Doesn't seem like Sony is really getting any real competition in this space.

I had a look at the XZ2 Compact and I really don't like the way it feels in hand, nor the way it looks, but with an SD 845 and NFC, it is definitely an option. But like all Sony's, a tad overpriced, at least where I am (SEA).

Read a rumor that the XZ3 won't be coming in compact flavor, too, which sucks. I'll take a 5" XZ3 Compact with an oled panel yessir. I've come to like Sony's skin, and find it lightweight and unobtrusive (ZL-->Z1C-->Z5C).

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 5, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still miss my Z3 compact. Wonder how long I'd have held onto it if the screen hadn't started separating from the body. It doesn't bother me much with the common sized Px2 but I'd almost like to try a larger phone for a change, though I'd probably end up regretting it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Shai-Hulud posted:

When I first got our car I saw that it had phone integration and thought it was really cool ... then I got the above and have turned it off and uninstalled the integration.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

fondue posted:

When I first got our car I saw that it had phone integration and thought it was really cool ... then I got the above and have turned it off and uninstalled the integration.

Yeah they could just stretch the loving thing. Or the could allow Android Auto to be placed on one of the homescreens of the car where you can place stuff like the cars navigation and media controls as well. That way you could at least use the space for something else.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This still doesn't make sense to me. Firstly because Linux, the kernel, i.e. the bit of software you are talking about, isn't an OS. It's just the kernel.

Second is because I don't understand what actual real-world benefits that a newer version of the Linux kernel would bring to an Android device, compared to a slightly out of date one. In general the Linux kernel has been finished, in terms of having all the well-working facilities a modern kernel should have, for like over a decade at this point, so you can't mean anything like this. So you must mean that some newer kernel feature(s) are giving you a benefit. Which newer kernel features are you referring to?

Also it'll burst their bubble to learn that on any Android device, there's a pre-defined kernel version for the underlying SoC and board, and no matter how far the Android layer above gets upgraded, that kernel sticks for life of the device. Doesn't change if you buy a Nexus, a Samsung, etc, they're all that way, it's part of why it's important and good that LTS kernel releases are supported for 6 years now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nalin posted:

There actually IS a visual cue for it. It actually took me a long time to figure it out too, but if a checkbox or a slider has a vertical line directly left of the icon, it doubles as a submenu.

This is still better than the days of having to hit the menu button inside the settings menu with no visual cue at all to get to certain settings.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

codo27 posted:

Phonograph fixed my car Bluetooth problems, for now

.. Except now when I shut off the car I get a notification on my pebble with the last track info for some reason. Which I think is the reason I stopped using a third party player in the first place a while back. Simple stuff like music must be a chore when all Google cares about is taking my info to sell

Third party music apps do different things on my pebble time as well, the notifications are also inconsistent. For example, sometimes in youtube music it'll send my pebble a notification each time a new song starts in a play-list. Sometimes it does this and sometimes it doesn't... I have no idea but I'm guessing that we're just going to have to live with it since the pebble is no longer supported by the OEM RIP :(

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

but higher numbers = better than :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Endless Mike posted:

This is still better than the days of having to hit the menu button inside the settings menu with no visual cue at all to get to certain settings.

My current favourite UX thing is the hidden menus in the Strava app you get by shaking your phone on certain screens

There is zero visual indication of it in the app itself, just mentions in online changelogs