Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo that episode was good. It didn't even feel too short, despite the fact that I could watch hours of this show at once. So much happened, so much was set up. I can't wait for the last 4 episodes.

Edit: also, Jimmy's mugging will likely be the impetus for him hiring Kuby (and Huell, full time). I'm betting we see Bill Burr before the season ends.

oh man! We've seen huell before from the scene with chuck and the cell phone but not bill burr. Hasn't bill mentioned on his podcast he'd love to go back and work with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope there's going to be a nine month time jump now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

NowonSA posted:

Then there's whatever is up with that "Be at a phone (probably a payphone from the sound of it?) on November 12th at 3 p.m." instruction Saul gave her...
He’s sending her to talk to the same vacuum cleaner guy from the end of BB that helps people disappear

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s sending her to talk to the same vacuum cleaner guy from the end of BB that helps people disappear

If she's disappearing, why would he have given her Kim's name? Don't get me wrong, I don't think he did that but someone else suggested it here. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Edit: Unrelated, but...

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-recaps/better-call-saul-recap-season-4-episode-5-quite-a-ride-717097/amp/

This describes something I didn't even notice. Jimmy IS going to see a shrink, until he realizes that if Hamlin is seeing one and is still that hosed up, what's the point?

Except he still technically needs to see one, despite what he thinks, and the PPD officer plays the role of one, inadvertently.

Well done.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 4, 2018

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I hope Hamlin ends up okay :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grayscale Kim is working as a middle manager at a civil engineering firm in Ohio

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

I hope Hamlin ends up okay :(

After the poo poo he put Kim through in earlier seasons, I am fine with his current situation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This describes something I didn't even notice. Jimmy IS going to see a shrink, until he realizes that if Hamlin is seeing one and is still that hosed up, what's the point?

Except he still technically needs to see one, despite what he thinks, and the PPD officer plays the role of one, inadvertently.

Well done.
Yeah I liked that little scene with the PPD officer where Jimmy just starts talking like he’s in therapy

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

No he's not. She doesn't want or need to disappear or she'd be doing it right then when the heat is on like he is, not months later after she's already been questioned by the cops looking for him. Plus that's not how the disappearer operates.

At this point what he was asking her to do for him is supposed to be a mystery.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

SeANMcBAY posted:

That was a good episode. Pretty tense all around. Curious where they’re going with throwing in a scene that takes place during Breaking Bad seemingly out of nowhere.

In Breaking Bad does Saul ever say his real name, Jimmy? I mean I guess it wouldn't matter for her specifically as she been there from the beginning. But I'm curious if there is any meaning behind him telling her to say "Jimmy sent you".

NowonSA posted:

Howards actor was killing it there, like usual. That little hesitation where he's like "no, I dumped too much on Jimmy before not gonna do it again, let's just leave it at that" was real nice.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's a thematic bookend. The episode starts with the unceremonious end of Saul Goodman's career and ends with Jimmy McGill first starts conceiving this new career in the first place.

Being reminded of how it ended also makes some scenes, like the one where Jimmy decides to go to therapy, much more painful, because you can see how close yet again Jimmy was to getting a more adjusted, better life.

These are some good observation didn't catch either. Showing the end at the beginning, and the beginning at the end is pretty storytelling move.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nude posted:

In Breaking Bad does Saul ever say his real name, Jimmy? I mean I guess it wouldn't matter for her specifically as she been there from the beginning. But I'm curious if there is any meaning behind him telling her to say "Jimmy sent you".

He tells Walt his real name in literally his first scene before he even trusts him. It's not a secret

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nude posted:

Well, one of his first lines is "my real name's McGill." I don't think he ever calls himself Jimmy/James, but it's clearly not a big secret.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Really seems like they’re backing themselves into a corner with the meth lab plot. We know the job gets pulled off and the lab opens without incident (at first) 4-5 years from now. What is there to show us here?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Really seems like they’re backing themselves into a corner with the meth lab plot. We know the job gets pulled off and the lab opens without incident (at first) 4-5 years from now. What is there to show us here?

I'd watch a show just on its construction, that's a lot of engineering and construction to do in total secrecy.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I really like how Jimmy takes the fact that Hamlin hasn't yet recovered from his friend and partner's suicide TWO WHOLE WEEKS AGO SERIOUSLY PSYCHIATRY IS WORTHLESS.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Mike's responsible for making sure a giant back hoe gets delivered underground to the work site and a cop spots it and starts asking questions. Mike's gotta deal with the cop; will he take a full measure and kill him, making it look like an accident? Will he try to reason with him? Will he pull Jimmy in to help him cook up some sort of large-scale deception/misdirect?

I dunno man, I'm no writer but it seems to me there's tons of stuff they can do with this!

Baronjutter posted:

I'd watch a show just on its construction, that's a lot of engineering and construction to do in total secrecy.

:yeah:

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Do you know anyone who likes to watch documentaries?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

NowonSA posted:

Also Saul is talking about his secretary needing a lawyer and hands her a card, saying "tell them Jimmy sent ya." Could be the first hint of where Kim ends up by Breaking Bad times. Defense attorney maybe, representing people who usually aren't major scumbags like Saul's clients?

I don't think so because Francesca knew Kim, she worked for her. If it was Kim he would just tell her to go to Kim.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

You can actually know the end of a story, yet enjoy seeing how the poo poo gets there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I knew some boys would escape in the great escape, it was still very exciting to see all their covert tunneling.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah the point was to show that Mike and Gus are good now, because Mike is being trusted to help out with the superlab. Remember the ask from last week, right when both Mike and Gus were pissed? That's good now. THIS good. Oh, and also, this is how a massive, underground meth lab was built, in case you might've been curious while watching BB.

How is this a difficult concept to grasp? They're not going to get to the BB era without at least explaining a bit of this MAJOR thing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Sometimes I kind of hope the show will just ignore the events of Breaking Bad and go off into a parallel timeline where Walt just died of cancer or whatever

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

General Dog posted:

Sometimes I kind of hope the show will just ignore the events of Breaking Bad and go off into a parallel timeline where Walt just died of cancer or whatever

a little late for that though. since, well, ep. 1

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Before this episode I would of believed that as a possibility. It feels like season 2 and 3 they found out they really like telling day-in-the-life character studies. But season 4 they want to bring back bb. Speaking specifically about the Jimmy/lawyer arch.

Nude fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 4, 2018

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I don't think so because Francesca knew Kim, she worked for her. If it was Kim he would just tell her to go to Kim.

Maybe Hamlin

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

What are you going to trust, a German engineered car or a French Engineered car? No question for me!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I measure buildings with a laser and the way the french guy was using it made me think he wasn't actually measuring things, just randomly lasering. Like what's the point of taking a measurement from standing in a random spot? You do it from one wall to another, you butt the end of the tool up against something else. At first I thought the scene was just done by someone who doesn't know much about using these lasers professionally to measure and draw up buildings but if anything it's another layer to show him as an over-confident fool.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I brought underground meth labs to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook and by gum it put them on the map

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

anyone else think that this was the nicest looking episode of the season

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
sugar tits deserved more than 2 rolls of cash! :colbert:

I am also excited to see the detailed logistics of the construction job, how in the hell would that even work?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Keyser_Soze posted:

I am also excited to see the detailed logistics of the construction job, how in the hell would that even work?

That's what I'm most looking forward too as well. Moving the dirt out is the hardest part, I think. You couldn't even cover it by doing a legit expansion to cover all of the hardware moving in and out because you'd have city inspectors all over the place.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Mike is gonna Shawshank that poo poo inside his pantlegs.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Shows like this you love because of the unexpected. Giving us THAT for an opener was VERY unexpected!

I've been wondering for a while about how awful the poo poo will be that Francesca will be caught up in/subject of/witness to. Throughout BB she's depicted as curt, hostile and unfriendly; when she shows up in BCS she's just fine and cordial; and of course tonight she's (back to) snubbing Saul's hug and cold-shouldering him. (Clearly she was also somehow trapped working for Saul with no way out.)

And yeah, Patrick Fabian nailed his performance, with Howard never looking so miserable before. (Anyone else notice that he and Gus were pretty much reduced to cameo appearances this time?)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

The Human Crouton posted:

That's what I'm most looking forward too as well. Moving the dirt out is the hardest part, I think. You couldn't even cover it by doing a legit expansion to cover all of the hardware moving in and out because you'd have city inspectors all over the place.

I think if you get the right people to truck it out who won't ask questions you can probably get away with it as long as you keep doing it at like 2-4 a.m. each night. Don't know who is going to decide to call the cops because a dump truck is loading up with dirt.

I do want to see how they solve all these problems and watch the lab start to come together, seems like a fun little thing to see Gus' plans working like a smooth and well oiled machine. I also get even more of a kick out of how full of himself Walt was after killing Gus as we see more and more of Gus' top-tier meth kingpin planning.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I do heavy civil design and estimating for a living and going with the 2nd guy over the 1st was a no-brainer. After the first guy finished his pitch I thought the writers were going to go the wildly-unrealistic route for plot reasons, then when the 2ng guy whipped out his tape measure, flashlight, Schmidt hammer, and preliminary list of ways things could go wrong I literally did a fist pump.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The Human Crouton posted:

I have faith in our Lord and Saviour Vince Gilligan.

Especially after watching this episode, my favourite so far of this series, feels like its really building up to something while paying off some threads in earlier episodes. Howard nailed the burned out insomniac look, speaking from experience.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm fairly certain when I had a pretty bad bought of week long insomnia that I also uttered something about not wishing that on anyone.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My younger son was born last year and for four months straight, I didn't get a proper night's sleep. He was much worse than his older brother was.

I wonder if Patrick Fabian has kids? If I ever have to act like I haven't been getting sleep, I have a wealth of experience to draw from.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Started listening to this weeks podcast, this one has quite a bit of in depth production chat! for the Mass Effect video game series. :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Baka-nin posted:

Started listening to this weeks podcast, this one has quite a bit of in depth production chat! for the Mass Effect video game series. :devil:

Huh? Can you explain? I’m curious and don’t want to waddle through 20 min of them saying how fantastic their staff is.