Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cacafuego posted:

Orlando rental rates for a one bedroom in safe part of town can reach $1350. You would be extremely lucky to get a 2bedroom for that price. Houses are way more than that. Miami is high as well and I don’t know about Tampa. Orlando home prices and rental rates have soared in the last 5 years or so. We had a friend that lived in a studio downtown that was paying $1750/mo a couple years ago and it’s only gone up from there.

Lol I rented a 3bd house in Brandon for 1300 back in like 05-07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Volmarias posted:

[laughs in Manhattan]

[A bitter echo from Melbourne.]

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

FAUXTON posted:

Lol I rented a 3bd house in Brandon for 1300 back in like 05-07

But you had to live in Brandon.....

I actually looked at rental prices in Brandon a couple years ago to help a coworker and the prices seem to have shot up to be equivalent to the nicer parts of Tampa. Still way better costwise than all the cities everyone else is listing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

flynt posted:

But you had to live in Brandon.....

I actually looked at rental prices in Brandon a couple years ago to help a coworker and the prices seem to have shot up to be equivalent to the nicer parts of Tampa. Still way better costwise than all the cities everyone else is listing.

Yeah, I worked at Bern's at the time so it was like a half hour drive too.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
This is the most dumb poo poo I've read in a long, long time: 66-year old Baby Boomer wants to put $50K of her investment account into meme/hype stocks for "the exhilaration of 'watching it grow like crazy'":

quote:

“I have about $50,000 of stocks in a TFSA that I want to liquidate and start over... says Diane... And if she loses her money? “I know I may lose it all by investing this way,” says Diane. “But I don’t plan to spend this money. I just want this account for the exhilaration of watching it grow like crazy.”

I'm also annoyed at how the article writer is trying to portray this woman's aspirations out to be cute and ambitious, when in reality she's just straight up being greedy at the top of an equity growth cycle. Would love to get in touch with this lady- I have a bridge that I'd like to sell her.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 4, 2018

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yes, because securities increase in value "4tehlulz" :jerkbag:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9cyc0p/loan_amount_of_3k_but_i_only_need_1500_what_do_i/?sort=top

Loan Amount of $3K but I Only Need $1500, What Do I Do With the Rest?

Hello all!

(Background - I am a 21 year old college student living on campus. My monthly loan payment is only $106/month with no penalty of early pay-off and a reasonable 15% interest rate thanks to my moms perfect credit score of 850 lol. I don't really need "you should have done this or that" or "Man you're getting screwed on this loan" type of stuff. All I ask is you please keep it relevant to the questions I am asking. Thanks!!)

After my laptop ended up being stolen I was forced to take out a loan to buy a new device for school. I have more or less decided upon an iPad Pro setup that will total around $1600 for everything I would need. My loan through wells fargo had a minimum loan amount of $3000 being the lowest you could borrow. With this setup I have in mind, it kind of leaves me with a lot of left over money. My question is, what should I do with the left over money? Should I use the excess to put right back into the loan and pay it off quicker? Or can I use the money towards hobby's and passions of mine that also need funding. My parents think I should just keep the money since it was already loaned to me and just use it on what I need, not necessarily splurge on hobbies. My S.O. is more leaning towards putting most/all of it back into the loan to pay it off early, and I want to use about 2/3 of it on my hobbies and put the rest back towards the loan. It's weird because I feel like what I want to do is super not adult like and irresponsible, but at the same time, they already gave me the money so what's the problem in using it all?

Thanks in advance! Any questions or clarifications needed, just let me know!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9cyc0p/loan_amount_of_3k_but_i_only_need_1500_what_do_i/?sort=top

Hello all!

(Background - I am a 21 year old college student living on campus. My monthly loan payment is only $106/month with no penalty of early pay-off and a reasonable 15% interest rate thanks to my moms perfect credit score of 850 lol. I don't really need "you should have done this or that" or "Man you're getting screwed on this loan" type of stuff. All I ask is you please keep it relevant to the questions I am asking. Thanks!!)

After my laptop ended up being stolen I was forced to take out a loan to buy a new device for school. I have more or less decided upon an iPad Pro setup that will total around $1600 for everything I would need. My loan through wells fargo had a minimum loan amount of $3000 being the lowest you could borrow. With this setup I have in mind, it kind of leaves me with a lot of left over money. My question is, what should I do with the left over money? Should I use the excess to put right back into the loan and pay it off quicker? Or can I use the money towards hobby's and passions of mine that also need funding. My parents think I should just keep the money since it was already loaned to me and just use it on what I need, not necessarily splurge on hobbies. My S.O. is more leaning towards putting most/all of it back into the loan to pay it off early, and I want to use about 2/3 of it on my hobbies and put the rest back towards the loan. It's weird because I feel like what I want to do is super not adult like and irresponsible, but at the same time, they already gave me the money so what's the problem in using it all?

Someone should tell that SO to :sever:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It’s like the platonic ideal of what Boomers think of millennials.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Vox Nihili posted:

Hello all!

So Mom also doesn't have $1,600 on hand for a laptop, nor access to any other cheap line of credit or maybe no trust in the kid to pay her back directly. Not to mention there are cheaper alternatives he could use 'for school'.

quote:

Growing up would be just saving up enough money or buying a cheaper comp. Acting like an adult vs. actually being one aren't the same.
YESSS

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

StormDrain posted:

So Mom also doesn't have $1,600 on hand for a laptop, nor access to any other cheap line of credit or maybe no trust in the kid to pay her back directly. Not to mention there are cheaper alternatives he could use 'for school'.

No no, the mom has money, but he's worried that borrowing from her directly would be awkward and immature, so instead he's asking her to co-sign a personal loan at 15% interest

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Vox Nihili posted:

No no, the mom has money, but he's worried that borrowing from her directly would be awkward and immature, so instead he's asking her to co-sign a personal loan at 15% interest

Haha I read that after I wrote my post. She should have refused that terrible request and been a parent. Or if she doesn’t want to teach him then refuse and be a stranger, poo poo he’s 21, figure it out.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bwm: paying on full for your Tesla that definitely exists for real

quote:

You may have seen me complaining around the sub here and there, but I wanted to lay out my full story today on day 50. Here's my timeline: 

Reserved July 2017 

Configured (RWD, Aero, EAP, White) June 27, 2018 

Paid in full on July 13th 

Delivery date scheduled for August 4th 

Delivery delayed to August 11th 

Delivery delayed to August 17th 

Delivery delayed to August 23rd 

Delivery delayed to "August - October" 

That is, as of today my Model 3 has been 100% paid off for 50 days. I do not have my car, I do not have a delivery date, and my second loan payment will be paid today. The service and communication I have experienced from Tesla has been remarkably poor. 

My IDA seems utterly asleep at the wheel (no pun intended). In the space of my 4 delivery delays, I have taken days off work and pushed back vacation plans to accommodate, but was never once even contacted to let me know my car was not going to be there for delivery. All I have ever been told since my initial delivery date of August 4th is that "your car is in Oklahoma." Once I was told "Your Model 3’s battery was not charged. This is the reason for the delay." On the rare occasions my IDA does get back to me, she acts as if it's the first time she has heard of my situation. It's the most frustrating and disappointing purchase experience I've ever had. I know a number of other Austin residents who have ordered, paid for, and received their vehicle in the time of just my delays. One can't help but feel singled out. 

Perhaps the most frustrating part of this process has been the inability to escalate my issue. Requests to my IDA, hour-long phone calls with Tesla support, and numerous emails have resulted in nothing. I've even sussed out the email addresses of a number of higher-ups in the Texas delivery division, but nobody ever gets back to me. 

I have no doubt that this will all be but a distant dream once I do get my car, but for now it has just been a poo poo-rear end experience. Thank you for indulging my complaining.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

If that's what it is like purchasing the car, then I don't want to know what it is like getting the car serviced.

Vox Nihili posted:

Hello all!

Whoa, we need to know what this guy's hobbies are. We can't expect anyone to give him sound advice until we're playing with the full deck of cards here.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 5, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CmdrRiker posted:

If that's what it is like purchasing the car, then I don't want to know what it is like getting the car serviced.

The Tesla mock thread in YOSPOS has/had a former IT guy from Tesla telling about the IT stuff there. It's pretty horrifying even for someone who doesn't know a lot of the terminology.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How is the Tesla 100% paid off AND has a second payment coming up?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

smackfu posted:

How is the Tesla 100% paid off AND has a second payment coming up?

He means that Tesla has received payment in full in anticipation of delivery, rather than a deposit. Presumably, making the payment required a loan, which he is now paying down on a monthly basis.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vox Nihili posted:

He means that Tesla has received payment in full in anticipation of delivery, rather than a deposit. Presumably, making the payment required a loan, which he is now paying down on a monthly basis.

lmao

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Vox Nihili posted:

It's a kind of Kickstarter model, if Kickstarter had projects that cost north of $60k USD that you needed a bank loan to fund up front.

I kind of wonder how they did it - I know they have their own financing partners - because usually banks want, you know, the actual car as collateral when the loan is fulfilled.

Edit: Though we live in times where 19 year olds can get co-signed loans for $75k Ford Raptors on 84 month terms at 18% so maybe I'm overthinking this.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 5, 2018

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

CmdrRiker posted:

Whoa, we need to know what this guy's hobbies are. We can't expect anyone to give him sound advice until we're playing with the full deck of cards here.

Hobbies of the equestrian kind, more than likely.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jan posted:

Hobbies of the equestrian kind, more than likely.

21 and Mac Pro tells me its photography.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

StormDrain posted:

21 and Mac Pro tells me its photography.

iPad Pro, not Mac Pro. A Mac Pro would take up the entirety of that 3k loan and more.

An iPad Pro for photography would definitely be BWM, though. :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jan posted:

iPad Pro, not Mac Pro. A Mac Pro would take up the entirety of that 3k loan and more.

An iPad Pro for photography would definitely be BWM, though. :v:

I can’t believe I missed that. Compared to a lot of stories it’s pretty small but the idiocy really delivers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Man, tablets are so cheap, I don't see why a student would need to pay more than a hundred in that situation.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

StormDrain posted:

21 and Mac Pro tells me its meme making.

Fixed it for you

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Back in my day the kids used overpowered computers for ytmnds!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

Back in my day the kids used overpowered computers for ytmnds!
gently caress that takes me back.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

At least buy a macbook instead of a lovely tablet, god drat

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ixian posted:

It's a kind of Kickstarter model, if Kickstarter had projects that cost north of $60k USD that you needed a bank loan to fund up front.

The best one I've heard so far is "Car Citizen."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

:vince:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CmdrRiker posted:

They're not intended to be serviced, long-term. Tesla's all about the next new thing, no way they're going to stock spares for everything for decades like say BMW does for cars in the same price range.

They're building a $60k disposable car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Liquid Communism posted:

They're not intended to be serviced, long-term. Tesla's all about the next new thing, no way they're going to stock spares for everything for decades like say BMW does for cars in the same price range.

They're building a $60k disposable car.

this is 100% not true

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

At least buy a macbook instead of a lovely tablet, god drat

That's what I don't get. I have a iPad Pro. I have a quiet nice iPad Pro. It's drat near a laptop replacement. It didn't cost $1600. With a keyboard cover and AppleCare+ and tax it didn't even hit $1000.

Maybe he's talking Canuck Bucks.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

That's what I don't get. I have a iPad Pro. I have a quiet nice iPad Pro. It's drat near a laptop replacement. It didn't cost $1600. With a keyboard cover and AppleCare+ and tax it didn't even hit $1000.

Maybe he's talking Canuck Bucks.

A fully maxed out iPad Pro 12.9 w/ 512 gb storage and cellular connectivity + AppleCare + the pencil + the smart keyboard cover + tax where I live comes out to almost $1800. I'm an Apple fanboy but dropping almost $2k on an iPad pro setup is retarded in like 30 different ways.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Vox Nihili posted:

Perfect

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DJCobol posted:

A fully maxed out iPad Pro 12.9 w/ 512 gb storage and cellular connectivity + AppleCare + the pencil + the smart keyboard cover + tax where I live comes out to almost $1800. I'm an Apple fanboy but dropping almost $2k on an iPad pro setup is retarded in like 30 different ways.

Yes, you can spend an absolutely incredible amount of money on Apple gear, but that last $600 dollars was for 5% more utility and probably represented 25% less functionality that he could have gotten with a MacBook that cost 70% of what he spent.

He was 50% more stupid putting him in the 90th percentile of dumb.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, you can spend an absolutely incredible amount of money on Apple gear, but that last $600 dollars was for 5% more utility and probably represented 25% less functionality that he could have gotten with a MacBook that cost 70% of what he spent.

He was 50% more stupid putting him in the 90th percentile of dumb.

But how else is he going to host sales parties on Facebook to sell Scentsy, LulaRoe, and Younique?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

quote:

There’s nothing wrong with having no credit. It makes some things harder, but keeps you from spending money you don’t have. If you don’t have it, don’t spend it anyway. We’ve been sold to think we need credit and the cards nowadays, that’s true. Someone else said they add a layer of abstraction and I like that phrase; the truth is, though, you don’t need that layer. Budget responsibly and within your means, and always have enough savings on hand to handle emergencies.

The rewards you get are like... $100 a year. You’ll save more than that by budgeting well, and have the peace of mind of never dealing with credit.

Mild BWM by this threads standards, but :lol: at this guy who thinks credit card rewards are only worth $100. I'll make sure to think of him from the $1400 hotel room I booked on points just this week or every time I book a flight on Southwest and get a second ticket for a companion free for the next two years.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Also extended warranty or accidental damage/loss protection through amex. Buy some nice pants and spill soup on them a month later? Annual fee just paid for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My Aunt is in very deep with a MLM company called Juice Plus.

Obviously, MLMs are BWM and I'm fairly sure she has lost money on it (she gives the family super positive email updates about making $2,000 a month in "sales" and "commitments" and not profit).

She just paid some unknown amount of money to go to a convention for Juice Plus that was *EXCLUSIVE* for top purchasers. So, she paid money to go to a convention because she had already paid them a lot of money.

She is not involved in politics or a news junkie at all. I'm pretty sure she has never voted and has definitely never given money to a political campaign.

At one of the seminars she attended, the representative from Juice Plus gave a huge speech about how great the company is, what miraculous health benefits it has, how it has changed lives, etc.

Then, they started talking about how all of these blessings are only able to change lives because of one amazing man - Senator Orrin Hatch from Utah. How he fought for the right to allow people to choose what to put into their bodies and protected vitamins from the processed food industry and government. In her latest update, my Aunt told us that she donated $500 to Orin Hatch's campaign.

She lives nowhere near Utah and I'm 99% sure that she had no idea who he was before this.