Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Somberbrero posted:

I just realized that this thread title was prophetic.

I got another (sort of) BMO episode like I asked for!

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Escobarbarian posted:

I feel like the “will happen, happening happened” lyrics in the song are kind of like so simplistic as to actually end up confusing

I think this is a way to say that time in the Adventure Time world is cyclical. These characters and events will keep happening in cycles. The world has been destroyed and reborn many times before, Different embodiments of the elementals have come and gone, and the hero embodiments of Finn and Jake have existed before and will exist again. Everything that's happening has happened, and will happen again.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The thing is, it doesn't feel vindictive to me in that way. It comes off less like a middle finger and more, well, them wanting to close the book and nail it shut.

e: like, all the stuff with Ooo's future kind of seems like they anticipated CN doing a Korra esque timeskip sequel and went "nope, hell no, you're not doing that."

I think you're right on this. I think what I was trying to get across was that the show makers know just how abusive the relationship between CN and themselves is, and the finale was a way to address that as well as sending the show off. In all the interviews I've read/heard with Ward, Muto, etc, they've always said something to the effect of "And thanks to CN, and maybe they'll pick up a future show of mine?" So I get they can't overtly say "Seriously, this is bullshit" and the finale seemed a good way to quietly let that sentiment have a moment without shooting themselves in the foot for future employment.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Rape Stink posted:

I think this is a way to say that time in the Adventure Time world is cyclical. These characters and events will keep happening in cycles. The world has been destroyed and reborn many times before, Different embodiments of the elementals have come and gone, and the hero embodiments of Finn and Jake have existed before and will exist again. Everything that's happening has happened, and will happen again.

i actually checked the adventure time wiki cuz i wanted to not make bad arguments, and apparently the land of ooo is in the shape of a phoenix. very cool!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Of course the biggest troll is that CN has released the final season on DVD but not blu ray.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

In the title sequence, we briefly see what looks like a city with a space elevator.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Ditocoaf posted:

In the title sequence, we briefly see what looks like a city with a space elevator.

yep, that's the jake's descendants city I was talking about in my post

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Escobarbarian posted:

I feel like the “will happen, happening happened” lyrics in the song are kind of like so simplistic as to actually end up confusing

I think you are missing a punctuation point there.

Will happen.
Happening.
Happened.

BMO's song is about time, how we are all small and ephemeral creatures who will one day be replaced by a new generation. While "[i]t seems unforgiving when a good thing ends," a conclusion doesn't mean that the thing didn't matter. For a short time, that thing existed and existence in and of itself is meaningful.

So, I don't entirely understand why people are saying that the finale is a "middle finger" to the network. I could be missing something, but the finale seemed to be a continuation of themes and ideas that the show had raised repeatedly in the past, whether that be in its depiction of the Great Mushroom War or in episodes like Puhoy. The future of Beth and Shermy might look different, but it is no worse a future than, say, what the world of today might look like to some guy living at the height of the Roman Empire.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I like to think the remaining humans eventually leave for space.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ya dont forget this is a scifi show too......finn & mans are turning into bravest warriors in space probably.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

QuoProQuid posted:

So, I don't entirely understand why people are saying that the finale is a "middle finger" to the network.

It's that the future time skip closed some things very definitively and left some things very open.

Like at the end of the series you can tell almost any story, but the one that get so specifically blocked off is one finn and jake are at the treehouse, meet the ice king then fight the lich and win a kiss from princess bubblegum.

Like the adventure time universe is wide open to have any adventure you can imagine except the most boring one that is the one that is most marketable for toys.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

TerminalRaptor posted:

I like to think the remaining humans eventually leave for space.

I hope so, don't forget that humans in Ooo are considered a delicacy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Glad we finally got GOLB but he was less terrifying than the Lich.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t get the sense that the future world is entropic or bleak at all—didn’t Betty replace the god of entropy by becoming some new love god whose purpose is protection? The characters of the series lived out their lives happily, growing and changing like people, and then most of them died.

The year 4000 seems like more of the same and part of the cycles seen earlier in the series: two adventurers live in Marceline’s old house and learn about stuff and try to do heroic things, if rescuing the candy people from the guardian is heroic. It’s just a wide-open adventure setting. There’s still a library, Sweet P is like a new Billy, Shermy is probably a new iteration of Finn, etc. The finale seemed to really push the cycle thing with Bubblegum looking at Finn’s arm and seeing Shoko’s arm, plus the song talking about time moving but existence continuing, plus two adventuring heroes living in Marceline’s old house. Ice Thing is just the latest version of Ice King etc.

I don’t know: maybe I missed something.

Who was the old man riding a horse and looking through the telescope in the intro? Everything else made sense by the end of the episode.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
I'd fallen hard off the show due to overall dissatisfaction with the Orgalorg arc, but came back for recent miniseries like Stakes. I was worried the finale was going to be as flat as the resolution to the comet stuff had been, but I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't AT's finest, but it was a satisfying goodbye to a show I used to love.

Also, as the thread title should remind us, BMO rules. Quite literally in the far-off future.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It looked really good too. For a show by a bunch of art-school kids that handled writing through storyboards, it was probably important for all of them to make the last episode as beautiful as possible.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
In retrospect the final episode sucked. Defeating chaos with harmony and no callback to the auto-tuner Finn swallowed prior to season one? 2/10

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The one callback I was surprised to see was the eternal mind battle still going on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The crew Tumblr revealed that the Shermy and Beth intro sequence was animated by Science SARU, the studio that did Food Chain. Don't believe it was Yuasa directing it, but still.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I did not notice the guillotine on top of BMO's house until now, or the snow-covered grill. The episode had a lot of funny dialog, especially from BMO in the opening story. I think a lot of the tension during the Golb fight came from the risk of Princess Bubblegum being irreversibly turned into a Golb zombie like the Gumball Guardian, since the other characters like Jake are so durable.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 5, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

The crew Tumblr revealed that the Shermy and Beth intro sequence was animated by Science SARU, the studio that did Food Chain. Don't believe it was Yuasa directing it, but still.

not suprising, as they had Science SARU animate the intros for Stakes, Islands, Elements, and Summer Camp Island

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I think CN missed a good opportunity to have a virtual pet-like game where you take care of BMO.

Speaking of games, are the games any good? Ooo looks like it would make for a great BOTW-style game.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So in the cutaway after Jake used the sleep bomb, but before it went to their dream, what was that giant skeleton figure supposed to be?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

business hammocks posted:

Who was the old man riding a horse and looking through the telescope in the intro? Everything else made sense by the end of the episode.

No idea, but I noticed they have a stylized 'A' rune on their telescope:

There's a whole lot going on in the intro: someone in a jail cell in the ice kingdom, the dog wizard above the dog kingdom has a red jewel in place of his eye (which seems to be the jewel that the new Ice King used to make the impromptu ring when he proposed to Turtle Princess), there's a piece of broken ruins with a huge inscription reading FIN- and JER-, etc etc etc.

Elephanthead posted:

I think you see Sweet Pea walking by BMOs place at the end he is baller.

Shermy and Beth are riding on top of his head in the intro as well.

There's a ton of things hidden all throughout the episode right from the start. When Beth grabs that huge rock so Shermy can try to trip the Prize Ball Guardian at the start of the episode it's next to a 'hill' which is really the grown-over ruins of Uncle Gumbald's huge walking cake fortress. And of course the tree they're lying under when they're having their picnic is Fern, and also the site of the old treehouse.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 5, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shitenshi posted:

So in the cutaway after Jake used the sleep bomb, but before it went to their dream, what was that giant skeleton figure supposed to be?

It's the building the dream is taking place in since it's the nightmare realm or whatever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just watched the finale and found it thoroughly okay. I don't know what I expected watching the series/arc finale since I specifically jumped out because the show started getting too lore-heavy, but this was alright I guess. For a second when Jake got blown up from the inside I legitimately thought they were going to kill him for drama and I was preemptively saying "gently caress this whole show" but whew dodged that bullet. I kind of hate how things went down with Betty and Simon though. Like, pretty much everybody else gets a happy ending (even Fern to an extent, since he did get to grow in the treehouse) but Betty has to go out and possess/merge with a chaos demon because reasons.

If nothing else I do like that at the end of everything, BMO becomes king. And as always, every line he had was pretty great. RIP in peace Adventure Time, it might not have always been the greatest, but it was definitely a landmark for numerous reasons and IIRC back in the long long ago of 2010 it pretty much single-handedly helped bring the dark ages of CN trying to be a lovely live-action network to an end.

edit: actually line of the episode goes to War Elephant: "WE HEARD THERE WAS A WAR"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 5, 2018

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Waffleopolis posted:

I think CN missed a good opportunity to have a virtual pet-like game where you take care of BMO.

Speaking of games, are the games any good? Ooo looks like it would make for a great BOTW-style game.

most of them are pretty meh. Why did you steal our garbage is very Zelda two and it is one of the two I would recommend. The other is Investigations. It has a little bit of Point and Click and a little bit of battling. I haven't played Pirates of the enchiridion yet so I don't know how good or bad it is.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The story arcs it tied up were definitely rushed, but I felt it struck exactly the right emotional note. Our own adventures are thrilling and important but we're also part of everyone else's adventures which in turn will inspire the adventures of those that come after us and just because the show is ending it doesn't mean Finn and Jake stopped or Adventures stopped just that our time with them is over and I'm not crying, you're crying!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TwoPair posted:

I legitimately thought they were going to kill him for drama and I was preemptively saying "gently caress this whole show" but whew dodged that bullet.

They have been foreshadowing jake dying since like season two and almost the entire last two seasons have been about jake getting old so if he did die it wouldn't have been out of no where, since they have foreshadowed it almost as much as finn losing his arm. I'm not shocked they didn't go through with killing jake but "jake dies" has been a thing they set up a long long time across multiple episodes if they had.

(on that note golb digested everyone back to their true form and for finn that didn't include growing his arm back, being one armed was his true form)

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a ton of things hidden all throughout the episode right from the start. When Beth grabs that huge rock so Shermy can try to trip the Prize Ball Guardian at the start of the episode it's next to a 'hill' which is really the grown-over ruins of Uncle Gumbald's huge walking cake fortress. And of course the tree they're lying under when they're having their picnic is Fern, and also the site of the old treehouse.

You just made me rewatch the intro and I caught something super cool:

It's a statue of Finn fallen over.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TerminalRaptor posted:

You just made me rewatch the intro and I caught something super cool:

It's a statue of Finn fallen over.

and the fire guy is on a similar statue of Jake

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

and the fire guy is on a similar statue of Jake

Given the "Finn... Jer..." plaque on the ground a few seconds later I'm wondering if it's Jermaine. It would be possible Jake outlived them both and saw a monument built to them. Maybe it's their grave site?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They have been foreshadowing jake dying since like season two and almost the entire last two seasons have been about jake getting old so if he did die it wouldn't have been out of no where, since they have foreshadowed it almost as much as finn losing his arm. I'm not shocked they didn't go through with killing jake but "jake dies" has been a thing they set up a long long time across multiple episodes if they had.

Well yeah but it still would've been hosed up.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I swear I'll never understand people whos stopped watching Adventure Time due to heavy plot. To me that's what elevates this series to 'cherished treasure' status.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Ironically this may have been the only time "Come Along With Me" was actually played on TV.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lemma posted:

Ironically this may have been the only time "Come Along With Me" was actually played on TV.

Speaking of, if you dig that song (originally titled ‘Christmas Island’ from the album Let’s Build a Roof) you should check out the rest of LAKE’s songs. It’s really nice dreamy stuff. I first got into them after seeing the show a long time ago and it’s been a regular feature of my playlists for a while now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

turboraton posted:

I swear I'll never understand people whos stopped watching Adventure Time due to heavy plot. To me that's what elevates this series to 'cherished treasure' status.

My favorite episode is "Box Prince" so...

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah, Lake is a really cool band, very chill and nice

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

What I liked most about the show was how different storyboarders could take it in wildly different directions, and then later storyboarders try to make sure it still feels like one show, bringing back casual adventuring sometimes but sometimes trying to stitch together random lore bits. Sometimes the show was naval-gazey, sometimes it was wacky, sometimes it tried to bridge the gap between the two. It was a weird lab and playground for storytelling within a single show.

I suppose "my favorite part is that it has different parts" makes me a relatively easy viewer to please. But I still think the finale was perfect in that light -- it managed to honor almost every separate thing this show was, and still tell its own story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

My favorite episode is "Box Prince" so...

what the gently caress

• Locked thread