Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

SpacePig posted:

I got the season pass to Tomatoes, by which I mean I planted my own.

Mine are still early access

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

God I miss Vine

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

hey guys sup just trying to get the word out for my new side hustle, it's an app called Tomatr. take a picture of a tomato like at the grocery store or on a sidewalk or wherever and it'll tell you what vintage it is. never get stuck eating a thursday tomato on wednesday again

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Evilreaver posted:

Mine are still early access

I kickstarted some tomatoes once. The whole bin fell on the floor and I got asked to leave the store.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpacePig posted:

I kickstarted some tomatoes once. The whole bin fell on the floor and I got asked to leave the store.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm holding out for the VOTY (Vegetable of the Year) release to get the bonus seeds demo for Tomato 2: Beefsteak.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Please back my tomato growing garden box called TOM-8. TOM-8 takes specialized seed packs to grow genetically perfect tomatoes. Using our patented Delicious Ripeness Management software, we can be sure that only TOM-8 seeds are used in the box, and that all tomatoes are eaten at the peak of freshness. Any unripe tomatoes picked from a TOM-8 unit will turn to mush, and any left on the vine for 24 hours after peak ripeness will discarded by TOM-8's easy cleanup protocols. Be sure to back this project today to get the exclusive Founders Pack that includes 2 whole packs of DRM seeds, a commemorative tote bag, and your name in the credits of the documentary of the development of the TOM-8 units.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Please back my tomato growing garden box called TOM-8. TOM-8 takes specialized seed packs to grow genetically perfect tomatoes. Using our patented Delicious Ripeness Management software, we can be sure that only TOM-8 seeds are used in the box, and that all tomatoes are eaten at the peak of freshness. Any unripe tomatoes picked from a TOM-8 unit will turn to mush, and any left on the vine for 24 hours after peak ripeness will discarded by TOM-8's easy cleanup protocols. Be sure to back this project today to get the exclusive Founders Pack that includes 2 whole packs of DRM seeds, a commemorative tote bag, and your name in the credits of the documentary of the development of the TOM-8 units.

https://www.clickandgrow.com/products/the-smart-garden-3

quote:

The Smart Garden 3 takes care of your plants automatically by making sure they have enough water, light and nutrients at all times.

Our NASA inspired Smart Soil makes sure your plants get the optimal configuration of water, oxygen, and nutrients, while special LED grow lights provide them with the energy they need to thrive. No pesticides, plant hormones, or any other harmful substances are used.

With a modular lamp arm, updated LED's and a sleek design, this is the ultimate self-growing garden. Comes with 3 complimentary basil plant capsules so you can start growing right away!

quote:

OUR SMART SOIL DOES ALL THE WORK
Inspired by NASA technology, Smart Soil creates the perfect environment plants need to thrive. It releases nutrients in sync with the plant's life cycle, keeps soil pH balanced, and employs tiny oxygen pockets to guarantee plants get ample breathing room and nutrients even when the soil is wet.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I swear there was one that could only grow RFID-tagged subscription herbs in a ton of plastic packaging too but I can't find it

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I thought that was a joke about the Juicero, wasn’t it built to only function with their super expensive tagged juice packets?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pirate Radar posted:

I thought that was a joke about the Juicero, wasn’t it built to only function with their super expensive tagged juice packets?

which have DRM that will lock you out of using a bag if it's a day over the best before date.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Pirate Radar posted:

It was, but of course I was a full to think that there wasn't already something approaching the dumb poo poo I was saying.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah that's the most well-known DRM-locked idiot machine, but oh boy are there ever tons of other "Keurig but for [x]" ideas with shameful amounts of VC funding.

gently caress there's even a new one that's literally just the Juicero but called something else, because humanity is incapable of learning from its mistakes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The Juicero is the dumbest product I've ever seen. Like, it's a device that squeezes hyperexpensive Capri Suns for you, but the Capri Suns have mystical seals that will thwart the devices overengineered solid titanium mad scientist innards. If you had told me that it would be a thing ten years ago I would have called your idea for a joke product so stupid it couldn't possibly exist, and here we are, this is it, we are living in in a world that should have been reduced to a Cherenkov-glowing husk but wasn't and we are the worse for it

Drop the bombs, drop the bombs, drop the bombs, and put an end to the suffering

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Screaming Idiot posted:

The Juicero is the dumbest product I've ever seen. Like, it's a device that squeezes hyperexpensive Capri Suns for you, but the Capri Suns have mystical seals that will thwart the devices overengineered solid titanium mad scientist innards. If you had told me that it would be a thing ten years ago I would have called your idea for a joke product so stupid it couldn't possibly exist, and here we are, this is it, we are living in in a world that should have been reduced to a Cherenkov-glowing husk but wasn't and we are the worse for it

Drop the bombs, drop the bombs, drop the bombs, and put an end to the suffering

You guys will be happy to know that Juicero went bankrupt several months back and is out of business.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dr.Smasher posted:

You guys will be happy to know that Juicero went bankrupt several months back and is out of business.

Something dumber will rise from the ashes, like a phoenix with a MAGA hat, or a Highlander with a traumatic brain injury, or a Terminator programmed with the contents of TVTropes

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The guy who did Juicero did a pilgrimage into the desert and came up with an even better idea - selling rotting, unfiltered, river water to Silicon Valley nerds.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Please fund my idea of Killing The Entire US Senate

With my patented smart bomb technology, I will ensure the complete collapse of the US government with just a few small targeted explosions. The bombs are made with completely gluten free materials and

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's a bottle rocket with a fancy label

Approved

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651

quote:

The ADE 651 consists of a swivelling antenna mounted via a hinge to a plastic handgrip. It requires no battery or other power source; its manufacturer claimed that it is powered solely by the user's static electricity. To use the device, the operator must walk for a few moments to "charge" it before holding it at right angles to the body. After a substance-specific "programmed substance detection card" is inserted, the device is supposed to swivel in the user's hand to point its antenna in the direction of the target substance.

quote:

The cards were "programmed" by photocopying a Polaroid photograph of the target, cutting up the resulting copy and pasting the pieces between two squares of plastic.

quote:

The device has been sold to 20 countries in the Middle East and Asia, including Iraq and Afghanistan, for as much as US$60,000 each. The Iraqi government is said to have spent £52 million on the devices.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

quote:

In one promotional video McCormick claimed that the device could detect elephants from 48 kilometres (30 mi) away.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ate all the Oreos posted:

OUR SMART SOIL DOES ALL THE WORK
Inspired by NASA technology, Smart Soil creates the perfect environment plants need to thrive.

That's the most creative use of astroturfing I've ever seen.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Oh no capitalism has coopted these sacred cookies, invented in SF and mass-produced in a factory in Oakland since WW2

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

quote:

The cards were "programmed" by photocopying a Polaroid photograph of the target, cutting up the resulting copy and pasting the pieces between two squares of plastic.

This weirds me out so much, like if you KNOW you're making a scam device why do this obviously fake yet labor intensive poo poo? Did he actually think his scam product worked through the magic of toner?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

XTimmy posted:

This weirds me out so much, like if you KNOW you're making a scam device why do this obviously fake yet labor intensive poo poo? Did he actually think his scam product worked through the magic of toner?

Trying to make it look vaguely plausible I guess?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Fortune 500 cookies

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

XTimmy posted:

It's Ork science.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

XTimmy posted:

They probably got asked “how do we tell it what to detect?” and blurted out the first nonsense that came to mind because they didn’t really expect the scam to work.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The quotes from the purchasers who're clearly trying to save face are just great

quote:

The ADE 651 has been used at hundreds of Iraqi police and Iraqi military checkpoints across the country, often replacing physical inspections of vehicles.[12] Major-General Jihad al-Jabiri of the Interior Ministry's General Directorate for Combating Explosives has defended the device: "Whether it's magic or scientific, what I care about is detecting bombs. I don't care what they say. I know more about bombs than the Americans do. In fact, I know more about bombs than anyone in the world."

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Same

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Communist Walrus posted:

The quotes from the purchasers who're clearly trying to save face are just great

I know so much about bombs, *the device starts beeping* I am a bomb myself.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I worked with a police chief in Iraq who wasn't a smoker. He got a chest cold once and smoked cigarettes the entire time because he thought they had medicinal properties.

I've been led to understand that corporations used to teach that in the US, and still do in Asia.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Communist Walrus posted:

Sounds like a Trump quote

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I feel like a lot of people would accept at face value that a guy named Major General Jihad is literally a bomb.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dr.Smasher posted:

Isn't Doug Evan's new grift raw water or is that some other silicon valley rear end in a top hat?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Isn't Doug Evan's new grift raw water or is that some other silicon valley rear end in a top hat?

It's probably both.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Memento posted:

adults who get tattoos generally do so because they spend a lot of time beforehand thinking about them and confirming to themselves that they're for life

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

funny thing is it ended up being somewhat effective because it gave bomb inspectors the confidence to go into areas where they thought there might be bombs, at which point they found the bombs themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

*bank repossess your skin*