Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

7.62mm = .3 inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cessna posted:

7.62mm = .3 inches.

But the Soviets don't use inches, I thought?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fangz posted:

But the Soviets don't use inches, I thought?

Peter the Great engaged in mass Westernization of Russian science and politics. One of the units he used was the diuym, which was exactly equal to an inch. They likewise had a liniya, which was equal to the line (an obsolete measurement for 1/10th of an inch). The Mosin-Nagant was officially classified as a 3-line rifle, or .30 caliber. This also means the very first models of Mosin-Nagant Model 1891 have their sights marked in arshins, which are equal to 28 inches.

On July 21st, 1925, the new Soviet Union officially standardized on the metric system and threw out all their old units. The Mosin had its sights changed to be marked in meters.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A lot of the Soviet calibers trace their lineage back to the Tsarist system. 152 mm is 6 inches, 107 mm is 4.2 inches, etc. Once you start seeing new calibers (5.45 mm, 45 mm, 85 mm) they no longer convert to inches nicely.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm not sure i'm comfortable killing fascists with munitions sized for imperialist weapons. it seems dangerously counter revolutionary.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Nomenclature for modern rifle and intermediate military cartridges has sort of settled on (Bore Diameter)mm x (Case Length)mm. But there's no real standard for that, and anything older or civilian is pretty much up for grabs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Return to the cubit standard.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

zoux posted:

Return to the cubit standard.
Royal Egyptian or Biblical?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I only recognize the arm length of Ramses II

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GUNS posted:

it would be extremely weird if the kind of guns i like ever saw combat

Didn't a bunch of Syrian militia roll up with black powder muzzleloaders at some point?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Or go like Varusteleka and really emphasize the history.

For the record, I bought one and it really is a godawful design if you're someone who actually needs to drink outside of a campsite.

I order stuff from Varusteleka like every other month or so, but holy loving poo poo their “YUGOSLAVIA = GENOCIDE LOL” meme gets tired really fast. They pulled the exact same hilarious jokes when they were selling JNA army parkas and AK bayonets .

Also, that canteen is cool and good and I bought two of them. :colbert: :tito:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Didn't a bunch of Syrian militia roll up with black powder muzzleloaders at some point?

I know jezails were still in use in Afghanistan up til at least the 80s.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1QNG8lnxDs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trin Tragula posted:

Have you tried to move a body part which is in rigor mortis? Cold dead hands that are holding something smaller than themselves are no joke.

Something something Alfred Hitchcock's Frenzy.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
Does anyone know what book would be considered the closest to the "official" soviet history of the Great Patriotic War? I'm looking for a soviet source that particularly describes the role of collaborators and Bandera-ists in the conflict.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What was the most efficient way to kill Germans on a strategic level in ww2?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Going by what I think you are thinking, probably firebombing. The darker answer: The Holocaust itself.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Letting the SS have the pick of the best equipment.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

My Imaginary GF posted:

Invading Russia.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

aphid_licker posted:

My dad is one of the most consistently insightful posters in the extended SA milhist nerd bubble so like cool it a lil

i know who he is, but if cyrano didn't like a rifle he owned, why get so mad about it?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i know who he is, but if cyrano didn't like a rifle he owned, why get so mad about it?

Cyrano also gave a reason, maybe you could think about it a little harder, or just stop pretending you had a real point to make besides being riled up about guns

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

waiting 100 years

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Invading Russia.

Letting Hitler anywhere near a map.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

bewbies posted:

Here's a test for milhist folks:

Give me symbology for this unit type:

Group Army. The main combat power of the notional Group Army consists of four to six Combined Arms Brigades (CAB). These brigades are supported by one Artillery Brigade, one Air Defense Brigade, an Aviation Brigade, a Special Operations Brigade, an Engineer and Chemical Defense Brigade, and a Service Support Brigade, consisting of logistics, transportation, medical, repair, ammunition, communications, UAV, and electronic warfare units. The 2017 reorganization placed a greater emphasis on System Warfare capabilities at the Group Army level, providing much more extensive suite of electronic warfare (EW) and cyber capabilities, long-range reconnaissance, and long-range fires under the direct control of Group Army commanders. Group Army commanders can now support their assigned Combined Arms Brigades with a significant suite of capabilities able to influence operations across all domains.

Commander is a two-star. It is roughly between a NATO division and corps in size, and is not comparable to an old timey army group.

I...don't even know.

Just use the symbol for a mechanized infantry division

E: at the end of the argument, yield and draw a little (+) somewhere on it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

amateur, you're supposed to open the window and then shoot out of it

Can a building be considered a gun if a judge or a lord regent is launched from it

can you technically say the building shot a catholic in that case

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Going by what I think you are thinking, probably firebombing. The darker answer: The Holocaust itself.

Is there any good books I can read detailing the strategic bombing campaign against Germany, and the efficiency of targeting German civilians in hindering war production?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

HEY GUNS posted:

it would be extremely weird if the kind of guns i like ever saw combat

HEY GUNS with his bat'leth bullshit again :rolleyes:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm getting into medieval warfare again, and I recall us having a good chat on how fortifications were assaulted. Couple of extremely dumb questions, hope you can help:

- Did taking a castle with multiple defensive layers involve taking each layer by melee every time? Or often? Would escape routes be used or some kind of bombing into submission like we see in later wars?

- Was the throw-plague-corpses-as-weapons trope used often, or even at all? If it was, did the responsible commander(s) have a clear idea of the consequences? I mean, this is before germ theory after all.

- At what point did sapping start coming into use? I recently saw Stronghold, and it would have me believe peeps straight up warmed a gigantic pig fat bonfire under castles to collapse them.

Also:

Military History Mk. III: I only recognize the arm length of Ramses II

JcDent
May 13, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Soviet artillery.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Cyrano also gave a reason, maybe you could think about it a little harder, or just stop pretending you had a real point to make besides being riled up about guns

I wish for a repost of his post detailing the who perception of Yugoslav wars stuff.

We should definitely either link or repost those super great post that happens in here.

Ah, if only inklesspen was into MilHist as she is into Fatal and Friends

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SeanBeansShako posted:

Letting Hitler anywhere near a map.*

Offer not applicable Dec 10th, 1941-February 12th, 1942.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tias posted:

Castle attack

How effective was climbing ladders? Like siege towers I kind of get, but sending your dudes up a ladder seems like a terribly inefficient way to get access. How does the dude survive when he clears the wall?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tias posted:

- At what point did sapping start coming into use? I recently saw Stronghold, and it would have me believe peeps straight up warmed a gigantic pig fat bonfire under castles to collapse them.
Happened at Rochester Castle in the early 13th century. I'm guessing the sappers had propped their tunnels up with very beefy timbers since they had to, y'know, support an entire corner of a castle and all. The pig fat would have been to make the fires burn hotter to make sure the timbers burn through. But that's just a guess.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oye, any of you gits know that site where people draw simple illustrations of military unit? I remember some dude had amazing Russian company and such illustrations made, very good for showing how TOnE looks.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ilmucche posted:

How effective was climbing ladders? Like siege towers I kind of get, but sending your dudes up a ladder seems like a terribly inefficient way to get access. How does the dude survive when he clears the wall?

It was a risky bloody business and they'd have more than one ladder operating at a time, before hand though they would have really saturated the area they planned to attack with everything they could.

Worse case scenario was the ladders which were constructed on site being shorter than the fortifications they needed to scale. This botched a few attempts at storming fortresses in the Napoleonic Wars especially with the British Army.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
would probably rather go in to a breach than participate in an escalade, that poo poo was bad

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Certainly not the thing you want to volunteer for unless you really are confident that luck/fate/god is of course on your side.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did the first guy through the breach/over the wall end up with special accolades (if they survived)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
that guy who took down douaumont did

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

zoux posted:

Did the first guy through the breach/over the wall end up with special accolades (if they survived)

In my the era I am obsessed with, they usually got a sort of promotion to NCO/brevit promotion if they were an officer, a monetary award and the rights to wear a badge to prove you survived storming a breach and survived. Oh and if you died you still sort of would be remembered by your regiment if you did something brave/gallant.

The downside to this is an unfortunately high chance of dying horribly and your corpse being trampled or buried under rubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

The downside to this is an unfortunately high chance of dying horribly and your corpse being trampled or buried under rubble.

Hmmm but you say there's a badge?