Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

achtungnight posted:

Schmidt is the one who knows the most about Survival and nature. I say we bring him along.

This seems like the obvious choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

achtungnight posted:

Schmidt is the one who knows the most about Survival and nature. I say we bring him along.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Clear consensus that the prospector would make an excellent ally on this wilderness expedition.

quote:

Dan Schmidt would be invaluable to finding whatever it is that might be clogging the river.

It doesn't take long to find Schmidt and when you do, he's hip deep in muddy water with prospecting pan in hand.

He blinks a bleary eye as you approach then rubs thoughtfully at a bristle of a beard.

"Is that you Ruolan?" he asks hesitantly before he breaks into a smile. "It is! What brings you by?"

You lay it all out for him as he clambers out of the deep water, swirls the pan about in the shallows. As the tale finishes up, he inspects the tiny gold flakes found at the edge of the residue.

"Up river…beaver hunting and what not?" Schmidt asks. "Course I'll go. It'd be a good change of pace."

It takes only a little while for the old Prospector to saddle back up and, with laden mule in tow, begin the journey north and east to where the river flows from.

And we're on such good terms with him that it doesn't take any convincing for him to join up.

quote:

The ride north takes days. Thankfully, the river proves easy enough to follow; the tributaries are drying out to the point of being muck instead of mud and so there is nothing to distract you from the proper course.

Schmidt leads the way along the turgid river. Silence might as well be a foreign country to him, especially when the sun begins to set and the two of you pitch camp. The man seems to always have a tale to tell.

Ask about the times Schmidt has used a rifle.

quote:

"Taking long-shots ain't really my trade," Schmidt says as he idly shifts the long narrow blade at his hip "but I've taken plenty of shots. Keep your powder dry, your musket-balls round and your hands steady. Say, you ever been on the plains and seen the buffalo herds?"
1. "Yes."
2. "No."
3. "Buffalo?"

Ask about the times he's gotten mixed up in a gunfight.

quote:

"God no!" Schmidt says and readily puts up a hand. "Stay away from those, far as you can. Even if you're watching you might still get hit. Especially when people've been drinking. But, if you do have to skin your working iron out on someone, its better to take one good shot than fan your fire and miss."

4. "You mean, take time to aim?"
5. "What about pistol-whipping?"
6. "So, it doesn't matter if you get hit first?
7. "You've shot someone before, haven't you?"

Ask about the places he's ridden.

quote:

"Where should I start...well, how about the most dangerous? Because nothing's quite as dangerous as the badlands. Nothing worth a drat grows there, namely cause the whole place is trying to kill you. That's the time you want to have your horse have its head. It's got them big eyes that see more than you do and its ears ain't nothing to scoff at neither. Whether it be a rattlesnake or a grizzly..." he considers then absently shifts a long and narrow blade that rides on his hip, "you have to know its there before you can do anything about it."
8. "And then what?"
9. "How many shots does it take to bring down a Grizzly?"
10. "So, its better to ride away then?"

4.More tales about Bears.

quote:

"I could go on for days," Schmidt chuckles then absently shifts a long and narrow blade that rides on his hip. "The most important thing to remember is, that unless there are cubs about, or they're in rut...or they're looking to chow down before winter, a bear won't give you two tugs. It doesn't want to, not unless you're easy meat. So, don't invite it over. Bandage your wounds tight, cause they can smell blood a long way off. And if you see one coming at you..."
11. "Shoot it dead?"
12. "Play dead?"
13. "Stand your ground?"

14. Ask how he keeps going like he does despite his gray hairs.

He's full of stories, and we might be able to learn something depending on what you want to talk about. We only get to choose one though.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 4, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

1.3, 2.3, 3.1, 4.2

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Whoops, didn't make it clear that you only choose one, I just showed off the various sub-branches that you'd ultimately end up choosing from.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
12. Play dead? Does that really work around bears?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ask about bears - 4, 11.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

12. Play dead? Does that really work around bears?

Depends on the bear. With some bears if you shout and make a lot of noise they'll kill you, but if you play dead they'll lose interest and go away. With other bears if you shout and make a lot of noise they'll run away, but if you play dead they'll go "hey, free meal" and eat you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thanks a lot, bears

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Depends on the bear. With some bears if you shout and make a lot of noise they'll kill you, but if you play dead they'll lose interest and go away. With other bears if you shout and make a lot of noise they'll run away, but if you play dead they'll go "hey, free meal" and eat you.

Reminds me of an old joke I heard:

quote:

So we were getting advice on safety when camping in the woods, the best spots to pitch your tents, how to spot poisonous plants, that sort of thing. And the topic of bears came up, and how you should always make sure to bag your waste and put it well away from the camp to avoid attracting them, and one of the guys asked "So, what calibre handgun do you recommend for dealing with bears?"
And the ranger who was giving the talk said, "Well sir, I'd suggest something as small as possible. That way it won't hurt as much when the bear takes it away and shoves it up your rear end."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

(probably shopped)

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
We clearly have a burning need for more bear lore.

quote:

"Play dead?"

"I knew two men who tried that. Worked for one, didn't for the other," Schmidt considers, "guess it depends on how hungry the bear is. Or maybe if it wants to play. Either way, expect to be mauled at least a little before its done with you."

(Survival increased, Stamina increased slightly) (+6 Survival, +2 Stamina)

Good to know!

quote:

At last the river becomes a constant stream of cloudy water that steadily carves its way through a muddy trench. Instead of parched browns, grass and trees add a bit of green along the banks. Indeed, at one bend in the river you find a bevy of thick bushes heavy with pure white flowers and lush red fruit. Thimble-berries, the distant and delicious cousin of eastern raspberries.

"Those are delicious," Schmidt notes then casts a glance around. "Guess we're lucky that nothing gobbled them first."

The berry bushes shift tantalizingly in an unseen luft of breeze.

1. Climb down off my horse and gather up the berries.
2. Stay in the saddle and ride around the bushes.
3. Wait.
4. Pull out my rifle and shoot into the air.

Oh look, free food!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Shoot in the air can't hurt, right?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LightWarden posted:

Oh look, free food!

Its never free food!!

Vote: 4. Pull out my rifle and shoot into the air.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
If there’s a problem, best not to startle it. Wait.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I'd say wait. No sense wasting ammo when we're not sure.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

I'd say wait. No sense wasting ammo when we're not sure.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

achtungnight posted:

If there’s a problem, best not to startle it. Wait.

^ This. Although it is kind of shameful to be a marshal who gets scared by the breeze moving a bush.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wait

Also the berries just could have not been picked yet or something if they're still on the bush.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Good things come to those who wait.

quote:

Wait.

The unseen breeze continues to ripple through the flowers and leaves of the berry bushes. A soft smack and slurp reaches your ears but your horse isn't chewing on anything. Then something big and brown rises up from amidst the thimble-berries; a grizzly bear with more than a smattering of dark juice along its jaw. Tentatively, it sniffs the air.

1. Start yelling at the bear.
2. Pull my rifle out.
3. Bring my Grulla about and give it the spurs.
4. Stay very, very still.

I'm sure this counts as a good thing somehow.

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions: Dan Schmidt, prospector.
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Enough to drink the occasional beer in a saloon.
Values:
Order: 55% Freedom: 45%
Honor: 60% Arbitrary: 40%
Law: 46% Individuality: 54%
Notoriety: 0% Anonymity: 100%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 47%
Sharpshooting: 33%
Brawling: 36%
Riding: 33%
Survival: 38%
Legal: 14%
Engineering: 10%
Explosives: 19%
Persuasion: 34%
Intimidate: 34%
Stamina: 28%
Resolve: 40%

Influence
Influence Carson: 68%
Influence Schmidt: 72%
Influence Caraway: 72%
Influence Preston: 80%
Influence Marshal James: 55%

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That's a grisly bear. Very dangerous, but not big into carrion.
stay still

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I'm not sure our rifle would do more than slow down the bear. If we kicked our hose to a sprint it'd probably panic. Vote for Stay Still

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Rifle

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do we have a rifle?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Do we have a rifle?

It's an -option- so I presume we do. Alternatively we point our fingers at the bear and go 'PSHEEW BLAM'.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yes we have a rifle. I vote we use our rifle on Chekhov’s grizzly.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 5, 2018

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

stay still, stay silent

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Stay still. No reason to pick a fight if the bear might walk away.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Stay still

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Of course we have a rifle. We had the choice of what our particular pistol was, but we always have a generic rifle (plus any options to improve it at the gunsmith).

Looks like the plan is to stay still in hopes the bear ignores us.

quote:

Stay very, very still.

The massive grizzly bear sniffs the air, glances over your direction and sniffs again. A low growl rises from its throat. Your horse tries to turn, to rear, to do something against the terrible beast that lies before it. The bear gives a harsh snort. Your steed lurches in a panic and flips you out of the saddle to slam painfully onto the parched ground. As you lurch back upright, the snap of brush precedes the terrifying rush of the grizzly bear.

"Distract it!" Schmidt shouts out as he slides down from his horse and unsheathes his narrow knife.

The bear could care less about the old Prospector; its terrifying midnight eyes stay fixed wholly upon you.

1. "It already looks plenty distracted to me!"
2. "What the heck are you doing?"
3. Pull out my pistol and get to work.
4. Wrestle that bear!
5. Ready my simple knife.
6. Run.

No one told the horse though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Pull out the pistol and get to work

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
3. Shooting it is a distraction right?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: 3. Pull out my pistol and get to work.

I hear bear jerky is delicious. :jerky:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
pistols suck on bears get da knife

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Let's wrestle! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-4XwgPj5h4

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pistol.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wedgekree posted:

point our fingers at the bear and go 'PSHEEW BLAM'.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I love these types of LPs. :allears:

"What the heck are you doing?"

This is either aimed at the bear in hopes talking some sense into him or at the prospector with the pocket knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Apply pistol to bear.

We took the overcompensating hand cannon for a reason!