Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The open world stuff is always lovely in every game, and geralt is a badly written character, but some of the quests in Witcher 3 are very well designed and fun at least. Some of them are so good that they basically elevate the entire game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This game is terrible, because it is not literally the best in every single separately evaluated thing it does

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

steinrokkan posted:

This game is terrible, because it is not literally the best in every single separately evaluated thing it does

I think it's more an issue of being bad in 6 out of 10 average categories.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Where bad stands in for not actually bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Where bad stands in for not actually bad.

Fortunately, we've already determined that you have the most unpopular videogame opinion in the entirety of the Unpopular Videogame Opinions! thread. For everyone's sake will you please sign off once more, goodest of gamers, and bother the world no longer with your blathering nonsense and chromosomal dearth.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Witcher 3 is easily in the Top 3 best games of all time (especially with dlc) IMO

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Real Time Strategy games was a good genre and I wish they would make a comeback

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

QuarkJets posted:

The open world stuff is always lovely in every game, and geralt is a badly written character, but some of the quests in Witcher 3 are very well designed and fun at least. Some of them are so good that they basically elevate the entire game

Breath of the Wild had amazing open world stuff, to bad it also contained the worst Zelda game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day, and while I know really that Starcraft 2 holds the crown, I'll always think that Red alert 2 with Yuri's revenge was the absolute pinnacle of the genre. I think about a new rts, and I just think I'd probably rather play Yuri's revenge instead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

RTS probably won't ever make a comeback anymore for the same reason fighting games will never become popular.
The 1v1 curse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Fortunately, we've already determined that you have the most unpopular videogame opinion in the entirety of the Unpopular Videogame Opinions! thread. For everyone's sake will you please sign off once more, goodest of gamers, and bother the world no longer with your blathering nonsense and chromosomal dearth.

How can you talk about games if you don't even identify with the Gamer movement (the last social rights movement, might I add)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

!Klams posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day, and while I know really that Starcraft 2 holds the crown, I'll always think that Red alert 2 with Yuri's revenge was the absolute pinnacle of the genre. I think about a new rts, and I just think I'd probably rather play Yuri's revenge instead.

I'd probably agree that one of the Starcraft titles is at the top, though Red Alert 2 was loving ace (I actually thought Yuri's Revenge threw off whatever balance the base game had :shrug:), and Dune 2000 was really good for its time, too. I'd even throw down for Warcraft 3: TFT, but it really is on the cusp of another genre altogether with the hero business.

The roughly 5 year period from 1998-2003 absolutely represents the peak of that genre. Total Annihilation is in there somewhere, Myth II, Age of Empires I & II, Homeworld I & II, and Alpha Centauri. Just an amazing couple of years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
RTS is the one genre where extensive use of 3D and various effects actually hurt the games. It's hard to have a fast, controllable RTS when the visuals work to make information obscured rather than more readily apparent. Sprites really were superior for keeping track of a large number of units and such.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

RTS is the one genre where extensive use of 3D and various effects actually hurt the games. It's hard to have a fast, controllable RTS when the visuals work to make information obscured rather than more readily apparent. Sprites really were superior for keeping track of a large number of units and such.

Totally agree. I remember being extremely hyped for Supreme Commander in trailer form and then finally playing it and feeling like it was a bit of a slog, even though it was by the very same Total Annihilation people.

I'm playing Into The Breach right now and it's amazing how much info is crammed into an 8x8 isometric sprite grid.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Shibawanko posted:

Any game that tries to go for a "realistic" look in their 3D graphics ends up looking like an unconvincing heap of poo poo that looks like shiny meat and is always right in the uncanny valley. This has gotten worse as games got "better" 3D graphics.

Dunno man, 428: Shibuya Scramble does photorealism pretty well

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Totally agree. I remember being extremely hyped for Supreme Commander in trailer form and then finally playing it and feeling like it was a bit of a slog, even though it was by the very same Total Annihilation people.

I'm playing Into The Breach right now and it's amazing how much info is crammed into an 8x8 isometric sprite grid.

The best thing supcom had was the ability to zoom out and actually play that way- all the other RTS games forced you to be zoomed in so you could see their fancy models, but the only RTS games to follow up with being able to play zoomed out were RUSE/Wargame/Steel Division.

It's just too hard of a genre to play, IMO, for mondo numbers these days, hence mobas being a thing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Supreme Commander was cool and I occasionally still boot it up for a quick game vs AI. Empire Earth was good too. Good RTS lets you turtle, Starcraft style games suck.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Shibawanko posted:

Supreme Commander was cool and I occasionally still boot it up for a quick game vs AI. Empire Earth was good too. Good RTS lets you turtle, Starcraft style games suck.

You can totally turtle in Starcraft :confused:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Shibawanko posted:

I think also what happened to RTS games is that they kind of go for niches more nowadays, so you have a TON of tower defense games for the turtle player in everyone, and mobas for the guy who like doing things with one dude.

BTW, there's probably something to the notion that 2d sprites are really good at conveying information, because in wargame/SD the labels make it really easy to parse what's going on while you're zoomed out so you don't have to scroll around the map everywhere.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Graphic posted:

My unpopular opinion is that The Witcher 3 is the most overrated game ever made. I've tried to get into it on three occasions and it still hasn't took yet. The dialogue is superb but everything else is mediocre and done better in other games. Horse control is better in Metal Gear Solid V, exploration in almost any other RPG because marking all the points of interest for free leaves no actual exploration to do, and worst of all the combat is just lame and impossible to enjoy coming from Nioh which has an infinitely superior combat system. The menus also suck. It also has no dinstinctive look or art style to speak of. While it's objectively good looking, going for realism in the environment in a fantasy RPG was a bizarre choice.

People tend to judge Witcher 3 by the standards of western RPGs specifically, and by those standards the combat is at least above average. The other RPG systems suck, but then that's not a crippling flaw in western RPGs either. The game's art style feels to me more like "enhanced" realism where they make sure to only ever have beautiful sunsets and grand misty vistas; it looks better in terms of art than Skyrim which, let's be honest, is its specific competition.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Supreme Commander was an ugly mess. Even when you managed to get huge battles going it never felt cinematic or cool to watch

Stuff like Dawn of War 1 was way more NEAT-O to play

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A game that painstakingly recreates a more or less realistic historical setting with a consistent atmosphere and a seamless world is far more impressive than some bullshit with underage robots and strobe lights or whatever it is you anime people are praising as good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Why?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Battlezone '98 has yet to be topped

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

A game that painstakingly recreates a more or less realistic historical setting with a consistent atmosphere and a seamless world is far more impressive than some bullshit with underage robots and strobe lights or whatever it is you anime people are praising as good.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the worst game of all time

Vakal
May 11, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Battlezone '98 has yet to be topped

As far as RTS/FPS hybrids go, C&C Renegade is up there as well.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

poverty goat posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the worst game of all time

Oh poo poo I forgot that game even existed.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Good news! You've been reminded of its existence just in time to preorder the DLC expansion!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Witcher 3 is one of the games that really crystallized my belief that, sometimes, experience points, levels, and skill trees really shackle a game. The same applies to Horizon Zero Dawn, too.

I can't think of anything worthwhile that leveling and skill trees added to The Witcher 3. I found it much more satisfying to find mutagens, search for alchemy recipes and craft potions, elixirs, and bombs, and track down schematics and materials for different sets of Witcher gear. All of those things are perfectly good progression systems and there was no reason to throw a boring "gain experience, level up, and learn skills from a skill tree" thing on top of it. There are new moves you can unlock on that skill tree, sure, but there's no reason those couldn't have just been features of different sets of Witcher gear or things that you learn from an NPC, or really anything like that.

Horizon Zero Dawn is an even more stark example, I think, because at least The Witcher 3 has the excuse of "the previous two games had EXP and leveling and people expect that from an RPG." In Horizon, the majority of the moves you unlock on the skill tree really should be baseline. The ones that aren't would be much more interesting as either things Aloy learns during the story, or features of cool devices and gear that you craft. The game would've had much more interesting progression if you didn't just buy equipment, but used the pieces from machines you hunt to craft equipment that gives you some of that machine's features. You could gain more maximum health by wearing armor made from a particularly tough machine (like a Thunderjaw), or gain some of the stealth bonuses that are currently in the skill tree by wearing a suit made from Stalker parts.

Basically, go full Monster Hunter with it. Wearing different outfits should give you different abilities that are related to the machines the outfits are made out of. Nocking multiple arrows could be a mod you put on your bow instead of something from a skill tree (which would also be a much more interesting equipment mod system than "it does more damage").

So I guess that's my unpopular video game opinion for the day: sometimes, even RPGs should have fewer RPG mechanics. And I like RPGs, even JRPGs.

Realistically, I know why EXP and leveling systems are popular even in games that aren't full-on RPGs: they provide an easy way for a game to consistently reward players every step of the way. If you had to hunt down each of your upgrades in The Witcher 3 or Horizon, there might be play sessions where you don't make any "progress" because you didn't find anything new. But because everything gives EXP, that means that you're always progressing in one way or another no matter what activities you do. Maybe that has some kind of value from a game design standpoint but I really think it's the most boring way to handle a game where you could instead have progression be tied to what you're really doing in the game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Doing it that way would also lock upgrades behind specific things that players might not want to do. Experience and leveling isn't pretty, but it is widely applicable and lets players do things they want to do and customize their character in a way they want to with the least amount of sacrificing one for the other that's probably possible. Except in Witcher 3 of course, where the game just stops giving you experience points if it thinks you have done too much sidequesting and not enough main quest.

A decent counterexample might be Nier Automata, where leveling up basically just means you do more damage and have more hit points, and your combat options outside of that come from upgrades you find as rewards for side quests or as loot on enemies

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

the witcher sucks and any game that markets itself as "mature" (not the rating) is invariably trash for perverted edgy teenage boys

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Doing it that way would also lock upgrades behind specific things that players might not want to do. Experience and leveling isn't pretty, but it is widely applicable and lets players do things they want to do and customize their character in a way they want to with the least amount of sacrificing one for the other that's probably possible. Except in Witcher 3 of course, where the game just stops giving you experience points if it thinks you have done too much sidequesting and not enough main quest.

That might be the case for The Witcher 3, but I'm not sure it would be the case for Horizon. If the player doesn't want to fight robot dinosaurs, they're not going to have a very good time with the game, I wouldn't think.

Maybe what I mean is that I think if a game's designers feel the need to make character progression more generic to avoid pushing players to engage with things they don't want to engage with, that might mean the game is unfocused and doesn't really have a strong core identity to its gameplay. The reason why I think Horizon stands out as an example of a shoehorned-in EXP system is because I don't think the game is all that unfocused. You fight and loot machines all the time in Horizon. You even need specific machine parts to make some armor sets. If the game did away with its skill tree and made those upgrades either baseline, or tied to equipment that you craft with the machine parts you're already gathering, I don't think it would really change the way players "have" to engage with the game at all, if that makes sense. (Well, unless it becomes heavily RNG-based like Monster Hunter and you have to kill like 10 Stalkers to get the parts for one armor set, but that's not really what I'm going for either with this hypothetical.)

I mean, this is all pie-in-the-sky stuff. Most open world games really can't be that focused, and also, sometimes not having a strong core focus isn't a bad thing. So I don't really have a coherent point, I guess.

Incidentally, I actually think The Witcher 3's EXP system is reasonably well designed for what it is. Making side quests give minimal EXP but main quests give a lot helps make sure that if a player only does the main quests, they're always around the appropriate level, but if a player does a lot of side quests, they don't immediately over-level the main quest. That's not such a bad idea, especially if you want to limit the use of level scaling. Of course, the game is also balanced very strangely so that the beginning is really hard but by the mid-point Geralt is so overpowered just by leveling and taking things from the skill tree that even on Death March I was blazing through everything, but that's sort of a separate thing.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 5, 2018

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

lol @ anyone that says half life has a good story. for that to be true, it would have to have a story.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

the witcher sucks and any game that markets itself as "mature" (not the rating) is invariably trash for perverted edgy teenage boys

Did Witcher market itself as "mature"?

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

steinrokkan posted:

I said it's overrated and that most aspects of it are mediocre. Why strawman someone over a video game?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Jack Trades posted:

Did Witcher market itself as "mature"?

In a originally censored in America sex card kind of way.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Geralt is the most bland character I've seen that people really love for some reason.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Witcher 3 just looks so unappealing to me and I don't get why anyone cares. AAA poo poo sucks.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

geralt is the modern power fantasy. He's cool and handsome, has a thick beard, deep raspy voice. He can fight and cast magic and all of the women want him, so much so that chicks turned into collectibles for him to bang. Everyone respects him and people who don't almost always get their asses kicked. Plus he has a cool wolf necklace, two swords, and cat eyes.

All he needs is an angel wing and a devil wing and he'd be a shoe-in for everyone's teenage chatroom RP character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Andrzej Sapkowski is SO talented he wrote a modern western power fantasy character in 1990 Poland.